• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Petrie said:
The internet seems to say no. Only the official cases charge through it.
vadernooo.jpg

I'm not buying a case for $25. Guess it'll go naked for a while until I can get an official one off Amazon.

2th said:
i hate your nearby store :(
sorry. :-(

One of the benefits of begin here in S. Florida is that there are usually 2x-3x as many stores for any given chain than most other places. there were like 7 Office Depots within 20mi.

So anytime I get any type of notification from facebook it pops up on TP as well, but I dont have facebook running. Is there anyway to stop this?

jgkspsx

bucknuticus said:
So anytime I get any type of notification from facebook it pops up on TP as well, but I dont have facebook running. Is there anyway to stop this?
Yeah, turn off Facebook notifications ;p

BTW, if anybody has buyer's remorse and a sense of neogaf webOS community, I am looking for one more Touchpad. $50 markup would be ok by me.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
if people still want it, I can upload the firefox alpha for WebOS. I'm not sure if you can even find it online anymore.

btw, you people are nuts.

LordCanti

Has anyone used one of the cheap tablet stands (made for the iPad mostly) with a touchpad yet? I like the idea of a stand, but I don't want to pay for the official one (I'm fine plugging the thing in).

I'll let you guys know if the Griffin Elan Folio I got for $10 fits the Touchpad tomorrow. (If I knew the official case was going to go on sale at other places than OOS Office Depot, I probably would have just held off. I hope they still have them on sale tomorrow if this case is a bust).

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Netbook neoprene sleeves fit perfectly on this. In the early days of owning an ipad 1 I picked on up for 3 dollars online. Great case at a low price.

eastmen

Banned
anyone have a problem with the update not working ? Yesterday I thought i installed it , it even had me restart after it said installng , but now i'm downloading it again.

also anyone try a micro usb to hdmi cable on this or micro usb sd card reader ?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
eastmen said:
anyone have a problem with the update not working ? Yesterday I thought i installed it , it even had me restart after it said installng , but now i'm downloading it again.

also anyone try a micro usb to hdmi cable on this or micro usb sd card reader ?
Is there really such a thing? I don't think it's possible.

eastmen

Banned
dallow_bg said:
Whoa, that's crazy, but cool.
I mean, I realize they're both just digital signals.
I guess I should have known better since that's basically what the iPad HDMI cable thing is.

EDIT: Ah, monoprice. even better.

Yea i just don't know if the touchpad supports it. Its like everything else ,i have eyeinfinity and have a display port to hdmi converter , a display port to dvi converter also.

This might be obscure, but is there any way to stream what's on the Touchpad's display to a computer/TV screen? Also, is there anyway to get OnLive to work on the Touchpad? I know OnLive was rolling out a version for the iPad, but I assume there's no support for webOS, right?

I love how everything about the packaging for this devices screams Apples, but the similarities immediately end once you power the thing on. Man this setup walkthrough is archaic, clunky, and low-rent.

Uh, I think there's something wrong with mine. I thought this was a one-time initialization, but whatever it is it's looping, and I think it's a diagnostic mode. Is my shit DOA? lol

edit: It appears that I held the power button for too long when turning this thing on. Hilarious.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Staples price matched Best Buy's price on the touchstone with no issues. When I printed the product page, BB still had them in stock, but by the time I got to Staples, they were all gone. Luckily they didn't check the site, as they usually won't price match if an item is out of stock. $40 is still kind of ridiculous, but much better than $80... Christ.

TCRS

Banned
After one day I know I need Android to really enjoy my pad. It's not bad for £89 but it can be much more with Android. webOS doesn't even have a ICQ app...

nataku

dream said:
Just picked up my shit. My god this case is cheap.

Hmm.

I don't even care about an actual case, I just need something that can give this thing some grip on the back while still letting me use the touchstone charger.

dream

bucknuticus said:
So should we look elsewhere for cases?

The TouchPad fits most iPad 1 cases.

At $25, I guess the HP case is okay but that's pretty much the upper limit of how much I'm willing to pay for it. I mean, god, it folds up into a stand (a la Apple's Smart Covers) but it uses VELCRO instead of magnets to keep it in place.

VELCRO. On what used to be a $50 case.

nataku said:
Hmm.

I don't even care about an actual case, I just need something that can give this thing some grip on the back while still letting me use the touchstone charger.

That's fine then. But get this: it only charges in one landscape position (center button to the right) so you'll end up having to fold your case back and have your TouchPad hang off the lip of the Touchstone when you're charging it. Because having the TouchPad charge in the other landscape orientation (so that the case folds over the top rather than underneath) just makes too much sense.

Recon

Banned
bucknuticus said:
So should we look elsewhere for cases?
I would take his comments with a grain of salt. He seems exceedingly negative in regards to the touchpad. The official case is good.

Edit: Also, the touchpad doesn't fit most iPad cases. Sleeves yes, but I had a hard time finding a iPad case that would fit.

Firestorm

Ugh, got the official case for $17.10 (open box + coupon) but the dock was sold out which is what I wanted more. Maybe Best Buy will have it. I'm retarded and forgot there was a Staples a block away from the FS I was at.

Noshino

dream said:

At $25, I guess the HP case is okay but that's pretty much the upper limit of how much I'm willing to pay for it. I mean, god, it folds up into a stand (a la Apple's Smart Covers) but it uses VELCRO instead of magnets to keep it in place.

lol

no wonder they dont show that shit on Amazon....

nataku

dream said:

That's fine then. But get this: it only charges in one landscape position (center button to the right) so you'll end up having to fold your case back and have your TouchPad hang off the lip of the Touchstone when you're charging it. Because having the TouchPad charge in the other landscape orientation (so that the case folds over the top rather than underneath) just makes too much sense.

Ha, wow. Maybe I will pass on it then. I was worried about the screen cover portion and how it fits on with the charger, and the way they did sounds like a pretty horrible idea.

Thanks for the info.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
This was posted in the other thread. Ugh, what a mess:

Is the Project to Put Android on the HP TouchPad Dead?

The effort to port Android to the HP TouchPad just had a serious setback today. According to project leader Thomas Sohmers, the group split when it was discovered that one member misrepresented himself and may have pocketed money from donations meant for the project.

The development is a huge blow to the plan to get Android running on the TouchPad. Shortly after HP said it would discontinue the tablet and slashed the price from $499 to $99, hungry gadget customers began snapping them up so fast that orders jammed HP's servers. A buying reason cited by many—including many commenters on a PCMag TouchPad poll—is that they expect it to run Android at some point. Now those buyers will have to wait longer for that to happen, possibly much longer.

The team member in question handled some donations for the project, and Sohmers says he used that money to buy TouchPads that he would then resell at a higher price. Sohmers also says the member lied about his background as a developer and deleted the TouchDroid Twitter account when his misdeeds were discovered.

When contacted by PCMag, the team member denied Sohmer's version of events, saying he never lied about his background, used donations to buy TouchPads, or deleted "anything." He did confirm, however, that he took donations for the project that amounted to about $700, though he says the TouchDroid team "forced" him to send the funds to a third party.

Sohmers says he has given up on the idea of a team, though he also says he's restarting the TouchDroid project with some select team members in "stealth." He says they've already created a custom booting Android kernel with bare-bone functionality, and important intial step. However, he has no ETA on when the project will be completed, only saying that it "will be long."

While there's nothing physically preventing Android from running on the TouchPad, the project has many challenges. Few devices have similar hardware, and any drivers for the individual components (touchscreen, camera, wireless) need to be rewritten from scratch.

Nonetheless, 15-year-old Sohmers says he's up for the challenge, and in addition to pursuing his own version of Android on the TouchPad, he's investigating reports of newly unboxed TouchPads already running Android, apparently a build from a development team at Qualcomm. A separate group is offering a $2,100 bounty to anyone who successfully ports Android to the TouchPad.

Two questions

1 is the charging port supposed to be scary deep? The charger finds its home but it seems like it was pushed in in a bad way as soon as i took it out of the ox

2 does a charging bolt appear on the battery indicator if the device is in setup mode? What about if i use a charger for a droid incredible?

I dont want to pass the setup screen or open the tablets cable in case i need to send this back to to hp. I want it to be clear i didnt do shit.

So i tried plugging in the incredible charger with the tablet powered off. I cant push it straight in, i have to sort of tip it down a little bit. The tablet turned on as if it was charging, but ther is no indicator to say that it is. i tried turning it off and plugging it in using an old palm pre phone charger and The ipad charger, and it would not power on automatically when plugged in. Now the incredible charger doesnt prompt it to auto power on either.

What should i do

nataku

Anyone else having serious issues with the touchscreen responding to your touch? It seems like a lot of time the entire tablet gets completely bogged down, to the point where it looks like it simply froze. No amount of me swiping or tapping on the screen can get the app I'm in to respond, but I'm able to go into card view and close it just fine. Re-opening the app clears up any issue.

This has been happening with pretty much everything. I've had it happen in the browser, wifi preferences, photos, email, the app catalog, hell even the menu. If I just let it sit there it eventually fixes itself after 15-20 seconds. I honestly can't tell if my touchscreen is just screwed up or if the device is that bogged down somehow.

I've done all the performance tweaks. It's one of the first things I did. I don't see performance hangs this bad this often even on my Pre overclocked to 800MHz.

Top Bottom