• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

dream

webOS has always had a horrible browser. Easily the worst WebKit implementation out there.

Ironic, huh?

Apath

I went to Office Depot and decided to bite the bullet and pick up the HP case for $19.99 and the HP bluetooth keyboard for $29.99. Totally worth the money (and I can finally remove the annoying plastic wrapper from the TouchPad).
uKmSCl.jpg

Kenak said:
I went to Office Depot and decided to bite the bullet and pick up the HP case for $19.99 and the HP bluetooth keyboard for $29.99. Totally worth the money (and I can finally remove the annoying plastic wrapper from the TouchPad).
uKmSCl.jpg

I am curious, is there anything special about the HP bluetooth KB or could I pick up any bluetooth KB for use with the Touchpad?

ChRoNiTe

ckohler updated the NeoGaf web app to allow the Touchpad recently. I can browse GAF through the app, but am unable to log on to my account without getting the non-mobile device message. Anyone else?

Apath

Soka said:
I am curious, is there anything special about the HP bluetooth KB or could I pick up any bluetooth KB for use with the Touchpad?
I'd assume any would work. With the keyboard you can:
- Control the brightness and volume.
- Lock the device (it has the power logo).
- Use the home button.
The last one is the only thing I'm not really sure would be on any keyboard. (If you look in the pic it's the bottom left key, directly to the right of the Control key).

EDIT: And it seems you can kind of control games on the SNES emulator with the keyboard. Arrow keys dont work but with the S button I was able to scroll through the command menu during a battle in Final Fantasy 3.

TheExodu5

Banned
I was close to picking up the keyboard, but thought, what am I going to be typing on this thing anyways? Maybe it would be useful, but I'm having trouble justifying the cost...

I did order the case and dock, though.

TheExodu5 said:
I was close to picking up the keyboard, but thought, what am I going to be typing on this thing anyways? Maybe it would be useful, but I'm having trouble justifying the cost...

I'm just going to use a sleeve. A case is just going to make this brick even heavier.

Apath

TheExodu5 said:

I plan on using this for school. When I heard there is going to be document editing, I decided it would be worth it.
Jamesfrom818 said:
I'm just going to use a sleeve. A case is just going to make this brick even heavier.
The HP case weighs next to nothing.

TheExodu5

Banned
Soka said:
I ordered some screen cover stickies and a case. The charging dock is too expensive for what I can do simply by plugging in my cable.

The dock is nice for me. I'm planning on just setting it up beside my current PC so I can use it kind of like a second PC/monitor. Maybe the keyboard would be useful...

The dock was also just $40 in Canada.

giga

Does the dock charge the device even when it's turned off? I'm trying to figure out if it's software independent so it could work with Android or Windows 8 as well without the need for drivers.

TheExodu5

Banned
d[-_-]b said:
Must have accessories or accessories with great deals?

The official accessories seem great, but it depends on your usage, I guess. The Touchstone dock is pretty essential to me getting full use out of it. Being able to have it on at all times beside my PC is going to be very nice. The keyboard will make it much nicer for message boards and emails. The case will make it more portable.

That being said, even with the discounts, those accessories just cost me $99 combined, which is the price I paid for the tablet in the first place.

Bowser

For the browser, a friend recommended Advanced Browser: Sorry, did not know this was a paid app - can be installed through official App Catalog

CyReN

Bowser said:
For the browser, a friend recommended Advanced Browser:
I installed through Preware (using my free 50GB Box.net subscription lol!) and it's pretty awesome - tabbed browsing, Chrome/Safari style bookmarks homepage - A LOT better than the stock browser.

'How do you install through it? Yes I have preware done already.

TheExodu5

Banned
The font looks a little weird through secondapps for some reason...maybe I'm just used to seeing it on the retina display.

Still...awesome. :D

jgkspsx

TheExodu5 said:
I wasn't even aware of the gestures in iOS. =\

Which ones are lacking?
No, from webOS. In earlier versions you could swipe forward and back in the gesture area to go back and forth in your browser history, as well as swiping from the left and right sides of the bezel to switch between cards. It was so smooth and pleasant, and consistent with the metaphor.

Chesskid1

Banned
Bowser said:
For the browser, a friend recommended Advanced Browser:
snip

I installed through Preware (using my free 50GB Box.net subscription lol!) and it's pretty awesome - tabbed browsing, Chrome/Safari style bookmarks homepage - A LOT better than the stock browser.

this is a paid app and is not free -- i wouldn't post this.

Bowser

jgkspsx said:
Uh, dude, you realize that's a for-sale project, and that link is piracy? It's only $2.99 for crying out loud.

Like I said earlier, I had no idea it was a paid app - my friend just sent me the link to it without mentioning that. I come from iOS and don't really know anything about what and what isn't paid apps on webOS yet. I certainly don't mind paying for it.

Anyone who has quoted me, please delete the link from the quote, thanks.

Okay, I asked about Skype. LOL. I used my iPad 2, which has the dedicated application to send an invite to my girlfriend. She accepted on the Touchpad.

So far, for the $100, I'd say the Touchpad is good tablet, especially with Preware. There are a lot of decent homebrew apps out there, which makes it awesome. If they can get quick office up to snuff, maybe a third-party browser, a decent ereader, decent pdf like Goodreader and stable comic app, this thing will be a beast and great alternative to my ipad.

I mainly plan on using the Touch Pad as my side chick (female dog). I'm going to abuse her. Use her when I travel, go to appointments, etc and keep my iPad all safe and nestled away.

I installed all of the recommended tweaks and preware. And the logging really does tax the OS.

Vyer

Vyer said:
someone mentioned hbogo worked on this, but I can't seem to get passed 'optimizing video'

Can anyone with HBOGO test this out for me if you get the chance? thanks.

dream

Using this thing for an extended period of time makes me miss the little touches that make iOS such a pleasure to use. Like double tapping the space bar to insert a period. Or tapping the title bar of a window to zoom back to the top of the page. And the scrolling...dear god, the scrolling.

Slightly off topic: If it's easy to port Android to the Touchpad, why can't it also be done on the Pre 3? Or why is it harder/less likely? (All assumptions on my part)

If there's a chance Android gets ported to the Pre 3, then it becomes a pretty tempting smartphone. I've already seen people put PreWare on it.

Bowser

CyReN said:
Is there a way to set a normal homepage for Advanced Browser?

Hey, could you please edit out the link to the file in your post quoting mine? As I've been alerted to in this thread, it's a paid app.

dream said:
Using this thing for an extended period of time makes me miss the little touches that make iOS such a pleasure to use. Like double tapping the space bar to insert a period. Or tapping the title bar of a window to zoom back to the top of the page. And the scrolling...dear god, the scrolling.

I've only used this thing for about three hours, but I wholeheartedly agree with this.

jgkspsx

Bless you again ckohler.

Naked Snake said:
If there's a chance Android gets ported to the Pre 3, then it becomes a pretty tempting smartphone. I've already seen people put PreWare on it.
There are no Pre 3s. The EU ones only work on Edge networks, so using them in NA is probably a bad idea.

And there are only a handful in existence anyway.

Top Bottom