• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

PSGames

What version of the market do you have? I'm on 3.4.4 and apart from a couple of the banners on the splash screen which appear to be blown up from phone resolution it looks fine.

Yep that's exactly what I'm refering too. The banners when you open the market are blurry and pixelated. I guess there's no fix. I'm on 3.4.4 too.

Newest version of Splashtop HD works great!

CJcuU.jpg

Petrie

Banned
So my touchpad running cm7 can't seem to connect to the FIOS router we now have. Had no issues with the old one, and can still connect to various other networks running WEP around, but the wpa on the fios router I can't seem to connect to. Tried to authenticate then disconnects. Any idea what's going on?

Biscuits

Anyone tried Onlive Desktop yet? Seems to work pretty well but the aspect ratio is screwed up. It looks like its forcing 16:9 on the 4:3 screen. I thought it fit the ipad screen just fine?

clav

So my touchpad running cm7 can't seem to connect to the FIOS router we now have. Had no issues with the old one, and can still connect to various other networks running WEP around, but the wpa on the fios router I can't seem to connect to. Tried to authenticate then disconnects. Any idea what's going on?

Get a better router.

The one that Verizon gives you is garbage.

PSGames

Well it's been fun while it lasted guys sold my Touchpad and accessories today for $300(!). Just got impatient waiting for updates from the community and honestly Android leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to Tablet apps. Think I'll get the iPad 3 or a Windows 8 tablet later in the year.

clav

Is that possible when its a modem/router?

Yes. Just plug in an ethernet cable from the old router to the new one and set the new one at a different IP range.

Alternatively if you want to get rid of the router and just use the Coaxial cable, then you can purchase a MOCA bridge, but you'll lose two things:

1. Incoming Phone Caller-ID for the TV
2. Program guide for the TV

------

On a side note, the dev team is working on a new wifi kernel that will be pushed in the next major release.

I'm debating whether to sell my Touchpad or not. WebOS is extremely sluggish and just annoying to use, and while ICS is better, it's still super early and has major technical issues. Also, quality app selection is abysmal.The weight, bulkiness, shitty build quality (so much flex) and sub-par hardware are also not things that can be fixed. If I keep it it would be mostly for dev purpose and experiment with shit, but seems more trouble than its worth.

How much should I aim to get for a 16GB touchpad touchpad in good condition with box and official HP case?

I ran into an issue with CM9. I was on a plane ride and pressing the power button wouldn't bring up the restart/shutdown options like before (unless, derp, derp, it's something else).

And Paradoxal_Utopia, if you can get $200+ for the case and Touchpad, I'd take it. With the Ipad 3 and new Asus Transformer on the horizon, the Touchpad becomes a more difficult option for your tablet options. Not to say the technology is far behind, but the native OS is sluggish on the hardware while the Android port has still a ways to go in maturity (though what they've accomplished is amazing given the circumstances).

PSGames

I'm debating whether to sell my Touchpad or not. WebOS is extremely sluggish and just annoying to use, and while ICS is better, it's still super early and has major technical issues. Also, quality app selection is abysmal.The weight, bulkiness, shitty build quality (so much flex) and sub-par hardware are also not things that can be fixed. If I keep it it would be mostly for dev purpose and experiment with shit, but seems more trouble than its worth.

How much should I aim to get for a 16GB touchpad touchpad in good condition with box and official HP case?

Aim for $200 on Craigslist. The key is to position it as a Android 4.0 tablet plus WebOS.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
thinking about doing an ICS upgrade finally but i was wondering what the current drawbacks are.

no netflix, spotty wifi, and high battery drain. correct?

Incorrect on all, unless you simply have a poor router.

That's nonsense. Stop blaming it on the routers. There's still isues, no where near as bad as it once was but Wifi still locks up some times and you need to turn it OFF and ON to fix it.

From personal experience it usually happens when theres signal loss for more then a few seconds, even if you get good signal again wifi just won't work.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Sorry, but three of my Touchpads have worked perfectly, without a single drop, on a WRT54GL, E1000 and WL-520GU. I'm sure there might be a compatibility problem somewhere in there, but it's no reason to even think about missing an ICS installation.

iirate

That's nonsense. Stop blaming it on the routers. There's still isues, no where near as bad as it once was but Wifi still locks up some times and you need to turn it OFF and ON to fix it.

From personal experience it usually happens when theres signal loss for more then a few seconds, even if you get good signal again wifi just won't work.

It at the very least isn't an universal issue; I've never had to do this, and I've been on CM9 since the first week it released.

sfedai0

Banned
Wifi has been very good with this latest update. Its not a crapshoot anymore to see if it connects. What I have noticed is some apps crashing due to too many open programs that are left open. I dont know it that is an Android limitation or a memory management issue.

Doopliss

Other ICS issues are: no camera, no mic, haptic feedback dies the first time the device sleeps until you flash another ROM, occasional audio corruption (pausing for a few seconds fixes this for me).

Wifi has been very good with this latest update. Its not a crapshoot anymore to see if it connects. What I have noticed is some apps crashing due to too many open programs that are left open. I dont know it that is an Android limitation or a memory management issue.
There have been no changes made to the wifi since the very first ICS alpha.

Other ICS issues are: no camera, no mic, haptic feedback dies the first time the device sleeps until you flash another ROM, occasional audio corruption (pausing for a few seconds fixes this for me).

There have been no changes made to the wifi since the very first ICS alpha.

Yeah but Ive been using CM since the very first CM7

Petrie

Banned
Looking for help. Went ahead and updated to CM9, no issues for the first 2 days. played games, browsed the internet, etc. Left it on and charging overnight, woke up today and my screen is showing a triangle with an exclamation point, that says www.palm.com/rom underneath. Does anyone have a clue what happened, and hopefully how to fix it?

I installed Ubuntu on my Touchpad. It's pretty cool, but it doesn't have sound or video acceleration. However, programs like OpenOffice Libre Office and simple games like Solitare work wonderfully. It is a two core 1.2+ GHz processor, after all.

I wouldn't recommend installing it since the only way to use it practically is if you have a Bluetooth keyboard. Then you can do good word processing and programming on the go.

thinking about doing an ICS upgrade finally but i was wondering what the current drawbacks are.

no netflix, spotty wifi, and high battery drain. correct?

There is Netflix and YouTube HD now. Works wonderfully.

Wifi should be the same as, maybe a little better than CyanogenMod 7. It is supposedly spotty, but in my situation, I only have a problem with connecting to my college's network.

I can't speak for the battery.

As for other downsides, unlike CM7, The camera doesn't work at all, and the microphone doesn't work either.

Unless you have a serious need for the camera and mic, I think there's zero reason for you to not upgrade to CM9 Ice Cream Sandwich at this point.

Can you tell me how you upgraded? I'm interesting in doing this now.

I used AMCEInstaller2 (or whatever it's called) novacom thing like the first time I added Android to the Touchpad, along with the gapps file. Nothing to it.

I'm typing from my phone but will be at my computer later if you need exact details.

Ok so when the TP had that webOS update I lost cynagenmod but didn't care too much then. How do I either get it back or get ICS on there instead?

Ok so when the TP had that webOS update I lost cynagenmod but didn't care too much then. How do I either get it back or get ICS on there instead?

Do what you did the first time to get Android and the boot loader on. But with AMCEInstaller2. Info may be in the OP. if not, I'll link the files when I'm in front of my computer.

Bleepey

Same shit happened to me, look back a few pages and i posted a link which said what i should do. I ain't gone it yet, maybe it can be more successful for you.

Ashhong

I would run ACMEUninstaller first, just to make sure that you are doing an entirely clean install. Then run ACMEinstaller2 with the CM9 files.

For some reason hardwarw acceleration stopped working on my touchpad. The same video that worked yesterday doesn't work now. Any one had this happen?

Cant get it fixed .;/

HD in utube stopped working too

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Am I the only one who's considering replacing his Touchpad with the new iPad?

Of course not lol.. I wont be one spending $600ish bucks on a device that I don't need tbh as much as I like it.

I'll just do whatever I need to do with my HP TP since I paid $73 for a 32 gig ver because of a $100 gift card.

GG-Duo

I'm looking to replace mine as well. With the Retina Display it's about time I get one to replace my magazine subscriptions, plus the apps seem to be better on it.

If anyone near Vancouver is looking for a touchpad please get in ... um, please contact me.

sfedai0

Banned
I swore that I would be happy with TP and WebOS and to an extent, I was. Then I played with ICS, and it was the terrible resolution (I did mess around with launchers and DPI) that did me in. And while CM9 did a great job giving us ICS, the often buggy issues wore me out. I did enjoy the widgets though.

Bought an iPad3 pretty much just for the "retina display". I'm not in to apps so the few things I do which are web browsing, movies, and reading have to look fantastic to justify owning a tablet.

Still going to keep the TP around if it doesnt sell, as I do enjoy WebOS.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?

It depends on the person and what they would use it for. I really had that itch for the new ipad when it was announced. I use my Touchpad with CM9 everyday for light internet use and reading manga. It does everything I want in a tablet so far. I never had any major problems such as wifi issue or hardware failures. The only upside for me to get the new ipad is for iOS games but spending over $500 for that seems excessive at the moment.

Anony

I got my 32GB Touchpad for $150 direct from HP. I don't use it that much, I mostly just enjoy poking around with it. I like them, but I have no need for an iPad.

yep, it's a nice little toy to have around

and yeah, cm9a2 drains battery like a bitch
i just turn off the touchpad over night or reboot to webos
startup times on android is like, less than a minute anyways

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Yeah, I use this thing as a quick Gamefaqs.com machine and indoor eReader. No need for a more expensive product.

reKon

Banned
With all of these sales on apps and games I'm finding that some of are great on the touchpad like world of goo. I really wish that all games had cloud storage so I could switch between my nexus and touchpad. Most of the time I'm using this for watching TV shows like Dexter, watching YouTube, and checking stuff on the web. The browser doesn't close often and everything is stable for the most part. It's still not as smooth and optimized as I want but this doesn't prevent it from being very useful. If I didn't have it, it wouldn't be a problem (same way I would feel if this was an iPad). The touhpad is just much more convenient. I still wouldn't drop $500 on any tablet by itself. I would for maybe $300 max

Is there any way to get the USB Mount to work the same way as the WebOS one? This mode seems to be alot slower and doesn't even show all the folders.

Top Bottom