• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

IceCold

Ok so I just upgraded to the nightly built from cm7. Every works great so far except for 3 things:

1) Flash doesn't work even though I have it installed (I did this a while ago on cm7)
2) When I plug my touchpad to my computer, my computer can't install the drivers. This is a problem since I can't access the sd card of my touchpad to install google apps and stuff.
3) I was checking the settings out and I think I mistakenly activated a feature to show where your finger is pointing to with a circle. I don't know how to disable it now.

reKon

Banned
Can't believe people are still fucking with this. Did so for several months, after I sold it for an iPad I never looked back. Yeah, even for a device that cheap consider how much time you're actually messing it to get it to work right and be decent. That's worth $$ too, and I don't miss it.

I guess I got lucky with mine cause with CM9, mine work very well for the most part with only a small amount of force closes if any. I did everything through ACMEinstaller and I did have CM7 before I upgraded to CM9

I can watch youtube videos, stream my music library/playlists and make playlists on the fly via Google music, browse the web with chrome, watch TV (in any almost any format using MX video), check gmail and weather from one of the home screens, access most of the games that are on my Nexus (along with their save files aka cloud game saves), and view the photos that I take on my Nexus on the touchpad via dropbox cloud sync.

It can do a lot of these things better than the iPad can. The iPad just has the better apps, but I don't really mind that for what my actual uses are (media consumption, just like what everyone else uses a tablet for). I just wish the touchpad was close to as well built as the iPad 2/3 and as light as them, but that's just minor. The thing stays in the case so I don't have to see the ugly and it works great.

You say you can't believe how people are still using this. Well I can't believe how much value I've gotten out of it for $90. Android 4.0 makes everything better and for me, the iPad is not worth the extra money to pay.

dream

I agree with you, reKon. At $99/$149, the functionality of the TouchPad probably outweighs the vastly superior experience of an iPad. I don't begrudge anyone for still using this thing as long as they're not running webOS on it. God, webOS was such a turd.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Actually, I prefer the weight and in-hand feel of the touchpad. The iPad 2's edges make it uncomfortable to hold and the aluminum finish makes it feel slippery.

reKon

Banned
I agree with you, reKon. At $99/$149, the functionality of the TouchPad probably outweighs the vastly superior experience of an iPad. I don't begrudge anyone for still using this thing as long as they're not running webOS on it. God, webOS was such a turd.

I never use WebOS now. I didn't hate it, but I just have no use for it. I'm tempted to just take it off the touchpad as it's just taking up valuable space, lol.

sfedai0

Banned
I've already switched to the iPad but undoubtedly, the TP is worth every cent of the $100 I paid for it. Experiences on different tablets with different OS can be subjective. However, to say that the iPad isnt worth the money to upgrade is a bit hyperbolic.

Just the difference in resolution alone is worth the jump. The scrolling and loading of every app is smooth and flawless, as opposed to the herky jerk motions sometimes found in WebOS and ICS. I was never an apps guy, hence my decision to go with the TP, and my uses havent changed much in the iPad, except a massive increase of books, mags, and comics because that screen just begs you to consume text on it. And browsing the web is so much faster.

Not trying to belittle the TP. Both have their pros and cons.

railGUN

Banned
I barely use my TouchPad now that I have a new iPad. I don't hate it, but it just feels so cheap compared to the iPad, and the non-retina screen looks so bad. My TP is cracking at the USB port, and around both the speakers. I have CM9 on it, don't really see the appeal (it's not terrible, but it doesn't really offer any benefits either). It was a good tablet for the $99 price and helped make the wait for the iPad easier, but I get why HP bailed, it's not a quality device, software and hardware wise.

reKon

Banned
I've already switched to the iPad but undoubtedly, the TP is worth every cent of the $100 I paid for it. Experiences on different tablets with different OS can be subjective. However, to say that the iPad isnt worth the money to upgrade is a bit hyperbolic.

Just the difference in resolution alone is worth the jump. The scrolling and loading of every app is smooth and flawless, as opposed to the herky jerk motions sometimes found in WebOS and ICS. I was never an apps guy, hence my decision to go with the TP, and my uses havent changed much in the iPad, except a massive increase of books, mags, and comics because that screen just begs you to consume text on it. And browsing the web is so much faster.

Not trying to belittle the TP. Both have their pros and cons.

To be fair, ICS isn't really optimized yet for the touchpad. I think the CM team just wanted to focus on getting things working and stable with the resources they had. If it was optimized, I think it would be smooth as iOS.

For example, Android 4.0.4 on my Nexus is butter smooth and very fast in everything.

As for the browsing, are you sure that the browsing is really so much faster? I don't know what you had on your touchpad.

dream

Everything is much smoother and faster on the iPad. But, again, if you've never used one, running ICS on the TouchPad is perfectly fine -- especially considering the price (and lack of webOS).

sfedai0

Banned
To be fair, ICS isn't really optimized yet for the touchpad. I think the CM team just wanted to focus on getting things working and stable with the resources they had. If it was optimized, I think it would be smooth as iOS.

As for the browsing, are you sure that the browsing is really so much faster? I don't know what you had on your touchpad.

That's why I didnt really mention my experience on ICS. It was a fantastic port by the CM team, but only turned out to be slightly more competent than WebOS, due to widgets and apps. No doubt if it was actually designed for the TP, it would be a better integrated user experience.

I had my TP OC'ed and the iPad not only loads web pages faster, it wont choke on gif heavy pages.

IceCold

Ok so I just upgraded to the nightly built from cm7. Every works great so far except for 3 things:

1) Flash doesn't work even though I have it installed (I did this a while ago on cm7)
2) When I plug my touchpad to my computer, my computer can't install the drivers. This is a problem since I can't access the sd card of my touchpad to install google apps and stuff.
3) I was checking the settings out and I think I mistakenly activated a feature to show where your finger is pointing to with a circle. I don't know how to disable it now.

Small update on this.

I am able to install the MTP USB device drivers but then my computer restart. Once I restart it, instead of showing the folder of my touchpad, it install the drivers again. It keeps doing this...

mclaren777

I don't begrudge anyone for still using this thing as long as they're not running webOS on it. God, webOS was such a turd.

It's really not that bad. I use it multiple times every day and I can't think of many things I would change about it, apart from having a larger software library.

Ashhong

Anybody know of a keyboard app I can get that has directional arrows to move the cursor around? My phone came with one (evo 4G) and it really annoys me to not have it on my Android Touchpad.I'm not having any problems at all, and the only issue I had when installing was due to a bad set of directions (i thought the pad hung on the USB screen, but actually it was just awaiting input). I don't really need GPS or a camera on my pad since I have those on my phone and I haven't had any problems with all the software I do use.

Pretty sure my Thumb Keyboard has that.

RobertM

Im having some issues installing some apps. I just installed the nighty version 3/29/12 and I've tried to install gapp but it does nothing, and when I try to download Netflix it just gets stuck downloading. Has anyone experienced this before and what could be a workaround? Im also trying to find netflix app file to get it install that way.

Ashhong

Im having some issues installing some apps. I just installed the nighty version 3/29/12 and I've tried to install gapp but it does nothing, and when I try to download Netflix it just gets stuck downloading. Has anyone experienced this before and what could be a workaround? Im also trying to find netflix app file to get it install that way.

define, nothing. you went into cwm, flashed gapps and it said installation failed or what? try clearing the market app data and cache in settings.

Joe

can anyon recommend to me which version of CM will have the least problems? i want to install it on my sisters touchpad and want her to run into as little problems as possible.

i understand there will be problems regardless, but which one has the fewest kinks?

also, will installing CM format or preserve the current webos data?

can anyon recommend to me which version of CM will have the least problems? i want to install it on my sisters touchpad and want her to run into as little problems as possible.

i understand there will be problems regardless, but which one has the fewest kinks?

also, will installing CM format or preserve the current webos data?

CM9 alpha 2 at the very least. I haven't tried the nightlies, though.

IceCold

if we're talking stability, is cm9 better than cm7?

The only downside I noticed is that the battery depletes faster and there are more problems with wifi. Everything else is better. It's as stable as cm7.

I have the most recent nightly build btw.

iirate

The only downside I noticed is that the battery depletes faster and there are more problems with wifi. Everything else is better. It's as stable as cm7.

I have the most recent nightly build btw.

To add to this, I have cm9 (build 2), am quite satisfied by the battery life, have only had the system lock up on me once, and have had zero issues with WiFi.

I never tried or used cm7, but I've been extremely happy with cm9, and have been using my TouchPad a LOT more since it came out.

1-D_FTW

I really don't understand WTF the deal is with the battery life.

There's been a couple rare times when I've gone 4 days without a recharge and still been at about 40 percent (almost took a picture of that magical charge).

Then yesterday, I had it charging all day, unplugged in the evening, and it's sitting at 20 - 25 percent this morning. I always make sure to clear everything from the doube-square (to prevent background usage).

It's completely random. Clearly is can get good battery life. But there's also something that can turn it to shit. Wish they could isolate what the problem was.

Anony

you can get vastly improved standby/sleep time if you get setcpu and set it to the lowest speed when the screen turns off

that being said, webos still destroys that method of battery saving, plus, cm9 drains battery pretty quickly when it's being used

so if you're doing something that can be done in webos, and you need to conserve battery, boot into webos

you can get vastly improved standby/sleep time if you get setcpu and set it to the lowest speed when the screen turns off

that being said, webos still destroys that method of battery saving, plus, cm9 drains battery pretty quickly when it's being used

so if you're doing something that can be done in webos, and you need to conserve battery, boot into webos
Does WebOS's PDF reader keep in memory whatever page you're reading?

By the way, the Touchpad is decent and does what I want it to do, but it's too damn heavy and big. I would use a 7' tablet all goddamn day if there was a decent, cheap one.

cbox

Ok so I successfully installed the nightly cm9 build on my TP, and it works great - no probs!

EXCEPT, at random times I'll get this REALLY LOUD chopping sound that I can't turn off without fiddling with the volume rocker or turning the actual unit off. Any ideas what it could be? My volume is on mute and it still comes up...

Ok so I successfully installed the nightly cm9 build on my TP, and it works great - no probs!

EXCEPT, at random times I'll get this REALLY LOUD chopping sound that I can't turn off without fiddling with the volume rocker or turning the actual unit off. Any ideas what it could be? My volume is on mute and it still comes up...

The gmail client defaults to notification noises upon new email. You can turn it off buried somewhere in the gmail app menu.

So I updated to the latest CM9 nightly and then installed the "SUPREME Mods" pack from Rootzwiki, the one for 160 DPI. It's running at 120DPI instead now for some reason.. anyone have experience with this? I need to get it back to 160.

Ashhong

So I updated to the latest CM9 nightly and then installed the "SUPREME Mods" pack from Rootzwiki, the one for 160 DPI. It's running at 120DPI instead now for some reason.. anyone have experience with this? I need to get it back to 160.

I don't have Supreme Mods but can you not change the DPI back with any DPI app? Look up like Density Modder or something. I think the CM team on rootzwiki even provides a CWM flashable zip to push it to 160.

I don't have Supreme Mods but can you not change the DPI back with any DPI app? Look up like Density Modder or something. I think the CM team on rootzwiki even provides a CWM flashable zip to push it to 160.
i think that'll fuck with the build_prop and I'll lose the tweaks from the SUPREME Mods thing.

Ashhong

i think that'll fuck with the build_prop and I'll lose the tweaks from the SUPREME Mods thing.

The density apps only change the density in the build prop, something you can do yourself if you want. Just navigate to the build prop using Root Explorer and change the value. Should be fine....................................................

But don't take my word for it
lol.gif

Petrie

Banned
So I updated my gf and my touchpads exactly the same, however her Market won't update to be Play, and therefor it wont let her download anything. It gives me the prompt asking me to accept Play, but then remains the old market. Anyone have a clue what I can do?

*edit* scratch that, it can browse the internet without issue, but I can't seem to download anything from the internet, be it files, stuff from the market, etc.

Ashhong

Does the alarm work for you guys? It worked on cm7 but doesn't seem to work on cm9 for me.

I dont use it myself and mine is dead right now, but I know for a fact that my friend uses it as an alarm every day in CM9. Try downloading Alarm Clock Plus, see if that works? Better alarm app anyway.

cbox

The gmail client defaults to notification noises upon new email. You can turn it off buried somewhere in the gmail app menu.

I think that worked, thanks!

Really liking cm9, this is my first full android experience and I think my thoughts of getting an ipad3 are dwindling.

1-D_FTW

After being ticked off that the battery did a complete discharge in less than 24 hours (with zero use), I booted into WebOS yesterday evening and did a full charge. Here's my re-impressions of WebOS after not using it for months:

Positives:

Zite! Man I love that program. I realize they've just released an Android phone version, but the tablet version is what's needed.

Battery Life! Good god, man. Despite using Zite for a bit before bed, the battery level was at 98 percent when I turned it on this morning.

On-screen keyboard. Any defense of the Tenderloin keyboard is Stockholm Syndrome. I'm sorry, but the Web OS keyboard is so much better.

Negatives:

The browser sucks. And it's slow. And unresponsive. If only HP had created a decent browser or somebody had released a quality third-party browser for it. If it actually had a decent browser, between that and Zite, I'd only boot into Android for games.

The touchscreen is unresponsive compared to Android. Could be livable (I suppose) if it weren't for the above with the browser. But it's definitely annoying not having taps register or Zite opening a story when I was clearly touching the screen to scroll down.

Verdict: I guess it's what it always was. A good deal for 149.99. But when iPad 4 comes out (so that the GPU power matches the resolution demands), I think I'll make the upgrade. I'd like a system that marries the best of WebOS with the best of Tenderloin.

cbox

Yeah the browser really is terrible in webos. I do like the OS but it makes the touchpad feel like a netbook running vista, android feels so fast. I've never been a fan of android, but ICS on my tp is making me think twice about getting an ipad.

I briefly went back to WebOS because i realized there was now a patch to make the PDF reader remember which page you were reading when closing/reopening the program, but it was so unresponsive that I went back to Android. Plus, most of my previously-installed patches were broken or not working anymore, and reinstalling them would give me error messages.

mclaren777

I'm typing this with my stock webOS Touchpad and I don't understand the criticism. It works great on every site I visit and I love being able to multitask with the flick of a finger.

i3hZ8KXRybp21.png

I'm typing this with my stock webOS Touchpad and I don't understand the criticism. It works great on every site I visit and I love being able to multitask with the flick of a finger.

i3hZ8KXRybp21.png

yap it is awesome plus advance browser is also awesome. Private browsing plus some flash website with great video material is fun fun fun.

Infinity

Just finished installing CM9 on my TouchPad, and I must say, I really like it. Most of all, I like the responsive touchscreen. I never could warm up to WebOS because of its sluggish feel and that's even after overclocking it.

Top Bottom