• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

nataku

I finally decided to install Android on my TP. I followed the instructions and everything seems to have gone fine, but I forgot the gapps zip and went to install it after per these instructions linked earlier. Only ClockworkMod isn't there. For whatever reason, it never installed. I used ACMEInstaller2 and all the other files I was supposed to use, but it's not there in the boot menu.

How can I fix this? Is there any way to install just ClockworkMod, or do I need to wipe everything and reset it all to WebOS and try again?

EDIT: Apparently I downloaded the wrong ClockworkMod file, or at least it wasn't named correctly. That's what I get for following WebOS Nations guide, I guess.

1-D_FTW

After running Web OS out of frustration for a week, I switched back to ICS and my battery life went back to being very good.

Lesson learned? If your battery life starts going down the toilet, give the system a reboot and that'll flush out whatever rogue process is sucking all your battery life.

reKon

Banned
I'm still on Alpha 3.5.

Have the nightlies improved the overall smoothness of 4.0 from Alpha 3.5 and have there been less crashes?

Doopliss

I'm still on Alpha 3.5.

Have the nightlies improved the overall smoothness of 4.0 from Alpha 3.5 and have there been less crashes?
3.5... that's CM7? The CM9 builds have been much smoother than that right from the start. I think the only downsides now are that wifi is problematic for some people and (not sure about this) a couple of US only video streaming apps don't work.

nataku

Err... wrong thread. Ignore this!

Though I guess I should post something related. I figured out the issues with my Android install and everything is working now. Having a browser with find in page makes the Touchpad infinitely more useful to me.

I do like the fact that it treats the unused space as usable for Android. I figured it would have just split my 16GB into two 8GB partitions or something, one for WebOS and one for Android.

Zizbuka

Banned
Is there a way to have the browser (webos side) present itself as a dektop browser? I don't like the new mobilegaf, and don't want to have to click the link every time. Similar to what Dolphin has on Android.

I'm absolutely loving CM9 right now. GAF is very sleek with the dark theme since it matches the all black aesthetic.

Question to ICS default browser users: How do you make a new bookmark?!

I feel like its right under my nose, yet I ended up having to just edit all the default bookmarks for now.

Is there a way to have the browser (webos side) present itself as a dektop browser? I don't like the new mobilegaf, and don't want to have to click the link every time. Similar to what Dolphin has on Android.

"Mobile browsers will be automatically redirected to m.neogaf.com from neogaf.com. If you would prefer to stick with the desktop site instead (for example on high resolution tablets), you can disable this redirect by clicking on "Disable Mobile Website" on the bottom of the NeoGAF Mobile home page. You can un-disable this via a link that will subsequently show up for you on the bottom of the page on the desktop site."

Joe

i finally get access to a PC so i can backup important files before upgrading to CM9 and my PC won't recognize the touchpad at all.

i plug it in and it does nothing but charge, no prompts on the PC at all. any suggestions? google is failing me but i'm going to keep trying.

edit: it was the cable! haha, wtf! i've never "broken" a cable before but my TP has ruined 3 different USB wires.....

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Apologies in advance that this has no doubt been covered. But can someone link me to a guide for installing whatever the latest version is from absolute scratch?

Anony

go into recovery, install from zip, locate the cm9a2 zip file
at this point you should just install the latest nightly though

I finally installed CM9 last week and boy, it really is so much better than WebOS. Haven't booted back into that since then.

I used the latest nightly build at the time (24 of March I think) and it is extremely stable, the only issue I'm having is WiFi...

The battery on the other hand is just as good, if not even better, than it was on WebOS.

1-D_FTW

I finally installed CM9 last week and boy, it really is so much better than WebOS. Haven't booted back into that since then.

I used the latest nightly build at the time (24 of March I think) and it is extremely stable, the only issue I'm having is WiFi...

The battery on the other hand is just as good, if not even better, than it was on WebOS.

Seems to be router dependent. At the very minimum, update your router to the latest firmware. And if possible, run something Linux based like Tomato firmware.

It's been my experience that even updating a Linksys router to the latest official version can be helpful. Something like Tomato, however, seems pretty universal as trouble free. I've never had a single issue with my Tomato router.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Will it possible to get HP touchpad that will have Windows 8 and WebOS to boot like how we have android and WebOS.

i wouldn't count on it, for one, the minimum suggested res for windows 8 will be 1366 x 768, the other problem is the amount of work and effort something like that would take for a tablet that would have been discontinued for more than 2 years

Will it possible to get HP touchpad that will have Windows 8 and WebOS to boot like how we have android and WebOS.
Android is a free OS, whereas you need a license to do Windows.

So there might be some serious gray or legal issues with throwing it on the Touchpad.

Also, what Coolio said about the specs.

HP has a Windows 8 slate in the works.

Anony

would some kind us resident order all of the above for me
(my case's plastic is deformed on the volume and power button area, plus my charger cable is fucked up)
i'm located in toronto, canada and will pay for shipping and stuff
pm me if possible

also, i wish i had a touchstone, cant find any, and the online used ones are way overpriced

FYI if you don't have a touchstone, I'd pay more for a better case than that folio one. Mine's banged up pretty bad.
is there a better case? i havent found anything

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Ordered the folio case because my 3rd party case has a hard time fitting in with the touchstone. Touchstone was worth every penny though..so convenient to just charge without messing with any USB wires

http://www.howtogeek.com/76960/how-to-install-android-on-your-hp-touchpad/

check the op for files.

and if some one can post link about how to do upgrade from cm8 alpha 1 to 2 that will be great. Thanks.

So just to be clear.... the file in the op, titled something like "update-cm-9.0.0-RC0-Touchpad-alpha0-fullofbugs.zip"

Is currently the newest version of Android available for the touchpad?

One reason I've been hesitant to install, is there always seems to be new versions floating around and I don't want to pick something glitchy if there is something better available.

Doopliss

So just to be clear.... the file in the op, titled something like "update-cm-9.0.0-RC0-Touchpad-alpha0-fullofbugs.zip"

Is currently the newest version of Android available for the touchpad?

One reason I've been hesitant to install, is there always seems to be new versions floating around and I don't want to pick something glitchy if there is something better available.
The AcmeInstaller2, moboot and CWM links are still fine, but the other two are really old, so get them from:
http://goo.im/gapps
http://get.cm/?device=tenderloin

Seems to be router dependent. At the very minimum, update your router to the latest firmware. And if possible, run something Linux based like Tomato firmware.

It's been my experience that even updating a Linksys router to the latest official version can be helpful. Something like Tomato, however, seems pretty universal as trouble free. I've never had a single issue with my Tomato router.

Yeah I figured it might be router related, and I haven't tried any fixes yet. I have a Linksys E3000 router with dd-wrt firmware with non-default setup. I'll try to play around with settings to see if it fixes the issue (I heard like changing the wireless channel and dropping wifi-n to b/g only and disabling 5GHz might help).

I'm not sure if Tomato works with my router...

The AcmeInstaller2, moboot and CWM links are still fine, but the other two are really old, so get them from:
http://goo.im/gapps
http://get.cm/?device=tenderloin

Sorry... you said the CWM links are fine, but then you gave a new link to CWM tenderloin. Did you mean the update cm 9.0.0 ics link was still fine?

Edit: Okay sorry, I guess what you meant was I should pick the update-cm-9-20120428-NIGHTLY-tenderloin-signed.zip link that you provided instead of the update-cm-9.0.0-RC0-Touchpad-alpha0-fullofbugs.zip on the OP. Correct?

saunderez

Edit: Okay sorry, I guess what you meant was I should pick the update-cm-9-20120428-NIGHTLY-tenderloin-signed.zip link that you provided instead of the update-cm-9.0.0-RC0-Touchpad-alpha0-fullofbugs.zip on the OP. Correct?

Yup do that. 9.0.0-RC0 is waaaaay out of date.

Doopliss

Sorry... you said the CWM links are fine, but then you gave a new link to CWM tenderloin. Did you mean the update cm 9.0.0 ics link was still fine?

Yeah. CWM is ClockworkMod Recovery. It's used for installing updates to the ROM and GApps, and making full system backups.

CM is CyanogenMod, the ROM itself.

Top Bottom