• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

WebOS's keyboard is nice, but it has no arrows, which are important so I can move the cursor around text.

On Android, I use Hacker's Keyboard, which is completely awesome.

You can multitask with a flick of a finger on CM9 too

Yeah, assuming your background processes are still running. :(

I still really dislike how Android will destroy your apps whenever. I wish there were some way to keep some apps protected, at least. That's the biggest thing I like about WebOS - you destroy your own apps.

But when iPad 4 comes out (so that the GPU power matches the resolution demands), I think I'll make the upgrade.

Que?

The GPU on the iPad 3 is fine. Did someone tell you the iPad 3 is struggling to meet its resolution demands? Because it certainly isn't. If you were under any other impression, you've been misinformed.

I'm typing this with my stock webOS Touchpad and I don't understand the criticism. It works great on every site I visit and I love being able to multitask with the flick of a finger.
yea, it's decent. but it does slow down as more tabs are opened, and it's not as fast as the CM9 browser or Safari/iCab/Dolphin on other OSes. Those are objective truths. That said, ignorance can be bliss, so as long as you don't bother experiencing anything better or faster, you'll never see the criticisms.

IceCold

I'm getting a lot of problems with wiki with cm9, even at home. Something I didn't have with cm7. Usually I'll surf the net for a couple of mins and then will have to reset the wifi. It's annoying.

, assuming your background processes are still running. :(

I still really dislike how Android will destroy your apps whenever. I wish there were some way to keep some apps protected, at least. That's the biggest thing I like about WebOS - you destroy your own apps.
are you sure about that? I was doing heavy browsing on my TP this morning with multiple browser cards open and I could have sworn it was automatically closing my older "tabs" on its own.

I have an unrelated question: is there a way to not use FAT32 on CM9? (in order to have files larger than 4GB)

Joe

hey dudes...

my cm7 alpha2 touchpad randomly reboot and now wont get passed an endless arrow circling on startup. restarted and shutdown a few times and still gets stuck on endless arrow circling...

any suggestions?

SRG01

hey dudes...

my cm7 alpha2 touchpad randomly reboot and now wont get passed an endless arrow circling on startup. restarted and shutdown a few times and still gets stuck on endless arrow circling...

any suggestions?

Did you boot into recovery and tried clearing out the cache? Or reflashing?

Joe

is it possible to clear cache without a pc? im not sure of the steps i need to do and all i have is a dumbphone :(

SRG01

will try clearing cache thanks. cant reflash, no pc access.

You don't need a PC. Just boot into webOS, redownload the .zip, and apply the zip file again in recovery.

edit: To clear the cache, you reboot into clockwork recovery mode in the boot menu, then select the appropriate option.

Joe

Now posting from cm7 alpha 3.5!

Thanks a lot, pal. Really really appreciate it :)

Hopefully 3.5 is more stable than 2

saunderez

Now posting from cm7 alpha 3.5!

Thanks a lot, pal. Really really appreciate it :)

Hopefully 3.5 is more stable than 2

CM9 is more stable than the CM7 builds were, is there any reason you haven't shifted to them yet? It's a vastly superior operating system for tablets overall too.

Joe

Can I upgrade without a PC straight from internal storage like I just did with cm7.....?

Edit: reading that upgrading is not recommended and a clean install is suggested. Gonna have to wait until I get access to a PC and wanna get my hands a little dirty.

Ashhong

Can I upgrade without a PC straight from internal storage like I just did with cm7.....?

Edit: reading that upgrading is not recommended and a clean install is suggested. Gonna have to wait until I get access to a PC and wanna get my hands a little dirty.

You can still upgrade straight from your TP. Just put the CM9 zip file onto the SD card by downloading it from your TP. Then boot into CWM, wipe data, cache and dalvik cache, then install the zip.

DONE

I did. Just had to use that ACMEInstaller2. Upgraded without any problems.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
any major improvements with the nightlys? also, whats cyanogens motivation for all this work? im appreciative but curious

Peagles

Anyone know how I can stop gaf going mobile on the WebOS browser? It's terrible and keeps crashing my TouchPad :-( I'd just like to use the regular site again.

App or site? Did you install Flash? Newest CM9? Should work fine. Try turning off HD

Got it. I didn't install flash. Lolol

So is everyone using the stock CM9 browser? I really like the quick thumb menu feature (the one similar to the webOS add on, this could be activated in the settings>lab), but I'm running into a hell of a lot of bugs/random frustrations. Can't add bookmarks? Can't control when the browser bar/tab appears or disappears.

So I want to put Android on this thing but don't know where to start. Is this a decent guide?: http://www.redmondpie.com/install-cyanogenmod-9-android-4.0-ice-cream-sandwich-on-hp-touchpad-how-to-tutorial/

Looks about right. Make sure you are getting the latest version of CM9 though. I think that link is redirecting to Alpha0 and the latest is Alpha2.

EDIT: The OP instructions are better since it has pics. http://www.howtogeek.com/76960/how-to-install-android-on-your-hp-touchpad/
Just make sure all the downloads are the latest versions.

Ronabo

So does Netflix work on CM9 or not?

I can't find the definitive answer.

Anything else I may or may not lose from from upgrading?

dabig2

So does Netflix work on CM9 or not?

I can't find the definitive answer.

Anything else I may or may not lose from from upgrading?

It's been working for a few months now actually. Just got finished watching donnie darko on it just 10 minutes ago :)

Apath

Top Bottom