• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

MX hands down, only downside is that it doesn't work properly with 6 channels audio. But I tried all of them and none worked except for KalemSoft for WebOS.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Woohoo! I did it!

Got the ICS android on there. Relatively painless. I was really surprised to discover that my touchpad docking station still works. Bonus.

I have never in my life used anything android, so I'm really fumbling around with it. So far all I got from the app store was netflix, temple runner, and draw something.

Can anybody recommend me some essential android tablet apps, that are preferably free, and not games? Games seem easy to find, but I'm having trouble navigating the store and knowing what is meant for tablets and what is meant for all platforms. There is a massive list of recommended tablet apps in the store, but it seems unsortable, and is just an endless brick of icons that I am uninterested in poring over. Is there a way to sort these things that I'm missing?

Very early observations are that it works nice, but I personally prefer WebOS navigation. A lot of people complained about the web browser in WebOS. I have loved it, and don't know what the huge advantage is with the android browser (besides the cache problem, which was easily fixed by pushing refresh). Other observation is things seem to run fine for the most part, but it does seem to be a little choppy/sluggish now and then, with the occasional hiccup. It would be nice if they got the mic working so I could use the voice commands.

Edit: Also, haha, I just noticed a new release came out today, 4/30, for ICS. What is the process to update to the latest version? Do I have to do a clean install, or is it easier than that?

Woohoo! I did it!

Got the ICS android on there. Relatively painless. I was really surprised to discover that my touchpad docking station still works. Bonus.

I have never in my life used anything android, so I'm really fumbling around with it. So far all I got from the app store was netflix, temple runner, and draw something.

Can anybody recommend me some essential android tablet apps, that are preferably free, and not games? Games seem easy to find, but I'm having trouble navigating the store and knowing what is meant for tablets and what is meant for all platforms. There is a massive list of recommended tablet apps in the store, but it seems unsortable, and is just an endless brick of icons that I am uninterested in poring over. Is there a way to sort these things that I'm missing?

Very early observations are that it works nice, but I personally prefer WebOS navigation. A lot of people complained about the web browser in WebOS. I have loved it, and don't know what the huge advantage is with the android browser (besides the cache problem, which was easily fixed by pushing refresh). Other observation is things seem to run fine for the most part, but it does seem to be a little choppy/sluggish now and then, with the occasional hiccup. It would be nice if they got the mic working so I could use the voice commands.

Edit: Also, haha, I just noticed a new release came out today, 4/30, for ICS. What is the process to update to the latest version? Do I have to do a clean install, or is it easier than that?

After having my touchpad docked all day with the clock displaying, I see my battery is at less than half power. Apparently it doesn't work, it just pretends it does :(

Ashhong

Is the dock plugged into the wall or a computer? Also do you have a case on? I don't know if that would prevent it from charging, but you never know..

SRG01

After having my touchpad docked all day with the clock displaying, I see my battery is at less than half power. Apparently it doesn't work, it just pretends it does :(

You gotta make sure it's positioned correctly or else it won't charge on the touchstone dock.

Is the dock plugged into the wall or a computer? Also do you have a case on? I don't know if that would prevent it from charging, but you never know..

Dock was plugged into a wall, and no case.

It charges fine when running WebOS, but when it was running ICS it didn't work. Placing the tablet on the dock made it instantly go to clock mode. Also, when I lifted it off I noticed the back was quite warm...

However the battery indication was only halfway up, so it didn't seem to retain any juice.

Just to backtrack a bit, I just noticed a new release came out on 4/30, for ICS. What is the process to update to the latest version? Do I have to do a clean install, or is it easier than that?

gokieks

Just to backtrack a bit, I just noticed a new release came out on 4/30, for ICS. What is the process to update to the latest version? Do I have to do a clean install, or is it easier than that?

They're nightly releases, so there's going to be a new one nearly every day. Unless you have issues on your current install or know of any particular changes that you need/want, probably not worthwhile to update it that frequently.

To update, see the instructions here. It includes a nice Youtube video too.

It looks like I fixed the wifi issues in Android simply by changing the wireless mode on the router from "Mixed g/n" to the default setting "Mixed" (which is a/b/g/n)...It was the first thing I tried and it seems to have done the trick, been connected nonstop for two days or more now.

Also I'm very impressed how little to no battery does the thing consume in sleep mode even with wifi on.

mclaren777

I doubt I'll ever use Splashtop HD, but at least I have it now.

i5eX5nzu5wxVh.png

mclaren777

Update: I figured it out – Open the HP App Catalog and go to Preferences and Accounts

yOXFb.png

No wonder the TouchPad failed – HP doesn't know how to take my money.

Apparently HP gave me Splashtop HD without first charging my account. I think the card they have on file is expired so they got zero dollars and I got the software. The e-mail below told me to update my account, but I can't find a place on the TP to edit my billing info. So I tried the website – no luck there either. :(

What gives?

icTu5eji37d4T.png

if9o2GfICE2vJ.png

No wonder the TouchPad failed – HP doesn't know how to take my money.

Apparently HP gave me Splashtop HD without first charging my account. I think the card they have on file is expired so they got zero dollars and I got the software. The e-mail below told me to update my account, but I can't find a place on the TP to edit my billing info. So I tried the website – no luck there either. :(

What gives?

icTu5eji37d4T.png

if9o2GfICE2vJ.png

I bought it lond time ago. It was fine back than. I use this a LOT. Works great too.I have not bought any new apps though for quite a while.

That's not annoying or anything? Sitting back while playing Civ sounds really addicting...

No, it works fantastically well. The only problem is that if u want to read the tooltips for something u need to start dragging ur finger from somewhere else and end up on where u want to read the tooltip, because if u simply tap it it works as a mouse click and it just makes the selection.

Heres a screen I took a couple of days ago:
bGpqe.jpg

And also, one of aion, I use it to manage the auction house:
ZgzjD.jpg

Just got my HP case. Feels much sleeker than the 3rd party case I had, but what the hell is up with the flimsy front case that doesn't fully close? They couldnt put a tiny strap on it or something

When I'm in Andorid on this thing, the battery is gone in a day or two while idle.

When I'm in WebOS, the battery lasts a really, really long time while idle.

*shakes head at Android*

When I'm in Andorid on this thing, the battery is gone in a day or two while idle.

*shakes head at Android*

I don't think it's Android it self, just this version of CM. It's not fully optimized for the Touchpad yet.

iirate

*shakes head at Android*

Yeah, the battery is usable, but nowhere near where it is on WebOS. I've just learned to live without my GMail auto-syncing (non issue given that my phone is synced), and I've also gotten used to turning off WiFi whenever it's un-docked and not in use.

Yeah the HP Folio case is the only way to go.. Just got me a crisp replacement case for my first one that got scuffed up a bit. Now that I have an iPad, my touchpad is strictly a classic gaming machine and flash video streamer, but it serves those two purposes quite well.

1-D_FTW

It's kinda relative, I guess. If I leave it in sleep mode for a couple of days, it will be dead.

Yeah. It's not debatable which has better battery life. WebOS shuts things down in sleep. CM9 simply turns the screen off. You can occassionally get really good battery life when asleep in CM9, but nothing can beat the system that WebOS employs.

both zite and facebook app are more responsive and beautiful in webos.

Not even going to try and install Zite until they release a tablet version. Not surprising in the least.

It's strange, I personally haven't noticed a difference in battery usage (including while idle/sleep) in CM9. Maybe it's a mental trick since the battery indicator is small and does not show a numerical percentage like WebOS does, so it's harder to visually gauge how much battery has been spent at a glance.

And while I do like the official folio case, mine has quickly deformed out of shape around two places; the power button and the USB opening. They're bulging out and look ugly.

Doopliss

Yeah. It's not debatable which has better battery life. WebOS shuts things down in sleep. CM9 simply turns the screen off. You can occassionally get really good battery life when asleep in CM9, but nothing can beat the system that WebOS employs.

Not even going to try and install Zite until they release a tablet version. Not surprising in the least.
Credit where credit's due, HP's operating system performs brilliantly when the screen is turned off.

I got the touchpad case and it feels pretty flimsy compared to the case (the iPad 1 case from Verizon suggested early on in the thread) I had before. The case feels like its barely going to offer the protection that my older case seemed to provide.
Still, it looks pretty good now, now that the case fits.

I actually removed the TP from the case yesterday for the first time since I got it, and I was very surprised at how much nicer it looks and feels without the case!

Since I only use the tablet at home, I think I'm going to continue using it without the case. The TP is already a bulky tablet compared to modern iPads, the folio case adds insult to injury in that department. Plus it sits more securely and conveniently in the Touchstone charger without the case.

Also, shouldn't this thread have moved to Community sub forum by now?

kmfdmpig

I got the touchpad case and it feels pretty flimsy compared to the case (the iPad 1 case from Verizon suggested early on in the thread) I had before. The case feels like its barely going to offer the protection that my older case seemed to provide.
Still, it looks pretty good now, now that the case fits.

Yeah. I think I have made the same switch you describe. I had the Griffin case, which was really just an iPad1 case which fit it OK. The new case seems a bit lighter and more snug, but you're right that it doesn't really look as nice or feel like it would provide much protection. I like having a bit of a thinner case at least though.

there's is something you can download that someone told me about it earlier in the thread but i forgot the method. a cyanogenmod dl.

Theres no need for that. All you need is to add 4 lines to the google_usb.inf file and update the drivers with it. Ill post them here once I get back to my PC.

*edit*

android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver\android_winusb.inf

Add these lines:

; HP TouchPad
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_6860&REV_0227&MI_01
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_6860&MI_01

to both the [Google.NTamd64] and [Google.NTx86] sections and then update the drivers with that file.

Crap, I can't remember the program I used to use to convert videos to MP4 to be used with webos........

My TP has ICS on it now though, can it handle .avi's?

Is there a way to disable the clock from automatically displaying in full screen every time I put the TP on the touchstone dock (in ICS)? Annoys the hell out of me.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Top Bottom