• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Ashhong

You don't know if you are on the official CM9 nightlies or Alpha builds? That's an important step. You should check out the Touchpad forums on rootzwiki and make sure you are up to date. I personally use CM9 official nightlies with no problems.

Joe

so i've gotten the 2nd newest nightly of CM9 installed now and it works awesome! but one little problem, when i fast forward flash video the video hangs (video turns black) but audio keeps going. it seems to be a sort of common problem but does anyone know a solution?

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
You don't know if you are on the official CM9 nightlies or Alpha builds? That's an important step. You should check out the Touchpad forums on rootzwiki and make sure you are up to date. I personally use CM9 official nightlies with no problems.

Oh, I know that I'm on CM9 Nightly.

Doopliss

New wifi drivers are available for testing - http://tinyw.in/cGLE

So jcsullins has been hard at work (as usual!) on the new wifi driver and now has a build ready for testing with a wider audience, so we'd appreciate some feedback so that eventually this can be merged for everyone.

To use this you must be on nightly 5/13 or 5/14. Please update first then flash this in recovery: http://goo.im/devs/j...0513-signed.zip

The driver is designed to sleep when not needed although will wake if something needs to pass through - so what you set in wifi policy is irrelevant and won't make any difference. It's "smart" and battery life seems very good so far.

Please test and post feedback good or bad on your experiences. People who have been hitting wifi issues are especially encouraged to help provide feedback.

reKon

Banned
I finally jumped to a nightly build after using the last alpha they released (the one that added youtube video playback I think) and I've instantly noticed that everything is much smoother and wifi seems improved. Why aren't they doing big alpha releases anymore?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I finally jumped to a nightly build after using the last alpha they released (the one that added youtube video playback I think) and I've instantly noticed that everything is much smoother and wifi seems improved. Why aren't they doing big alpha releases anymore?
Because nightlies are the exact same thing...just more frequent.

SRG01

Because nightlies are the exact same thing...just more frequent.

Yes. Unless there's a huge change, the best way is to switch to nightlies. However, some nightlies are more stable than others, so the best way is to download the ones that are downloaded more frequently.

Karish

Is there a way to partition the touchpad so that it defaults to WebOS instead of Android, and only does Android if you specifically ask it to?

I want to set this up on my GFs touchpad where she can keep using WebOS but I can boot into Android when I feel like it.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So what's the best way to upgrade from cm7 to the latest cm9 rom? I'm gonna try to do it for my gf's touchpad tonight.

saunderez

Is there a way to partition the touchpad so that it defaults to WebOS instead of Android, and only does Android if you specifically ask it to?

I want to set this up on my GFs touchpad where she can keep using WebOS but I can boot into Android when I feel like it.

All you need to do is edit the moboot config file and change the default. I can't remember the file name off the top of my you should be able to find a guide somewhere on the net.

Did anybody else have a problem getting the cable to line up properly with the contacts in the touchpad. I had to fight the cable for a good 30 minutes to get to a position where it would charge, but about a month ago it stopped working as far as I could tell and I let that fucker die. Haven't tried a new cable yet, but I am under the assumption that it is the touchpad. Anybody know a fix besides buying a touchstone?

Edit- just plugged it in an I managed to find position it will charge.

Did anybody else have a problem getting the cable to line up properly with the contacts in the touchpad. I had to fight the cable for a good 30 minutes to get to a position where it would charge, but about a month ago it stopped working as far as I could tell and I let that fucker die. Haven't tried a new cable yet, but I am under the assumption that it is the touchpad. Anybody know a fix besides buying a touchstone?
I found the issue to be the cable, switched to a different one and all has been golden since.

OK so my current situation is I have CM6 or 7(can't remember) but it is not functional because of the WebOS update a while back. What is the best approach to putting CM9 on it. Should I run acmeinstaller to reinstate my current version and then update? Or should I just do a full wipe and redo it with CM9?

Joe

Can anyone recommend me a solid and stable nightly build? I'm on 0512 I believe and I'm having annoying flash video problems.

Edit: from what I can get her it seems that the 20120504 build is the most downloaded nightly.

I installed that WiFi patch and, wow, did battery life on idle ever improve.

It used to drain after a day in idle. Now it's been over 2 days and it's not even half drained.

I installed the latest nightly and now my mp3s play with a crackling sound every now and then, even with headphones, and the sound from the speakers is awful when in idle. Anyone else having the same problem?

I installed that WiFi patch and, wow, did battery life on idle ever improve.

It used to drain after a day in idle. Now it's been over 2 days and it's not even half drained.

How is this possible? oO My Touchpad won't last 2 days on idle even if I have the Wi-fi disabled the whole time.

Maybe it keeps the device active or something. I dunno. The patch contains new drivers and puts the WiFi device to sleep when it's not in use.

I really need to do this. How do I install patch? And link? I am in webos mode right now and I have not charged in 4 days with more than 50% battery still remaining.

Ashhong

I installed the latest nightly and now my mp3s play with a crackling sound every now and then, even with headphones, and the sound from the speakers is awful when in idle. Anyone else having the same problem?

How is this possible? oO My Touchpad won't last 2 days on idle even if I have the Wi-fi disabled the whole time.

How is that possible? Even with wifi enabled my Touchpad will last more than 2 days on idle. Easily.

saunderez

Gotta confirm the awesome standby with the new wireless drivers. I lost around 15% in a day. That's probably better than it was doing under WebOS. I think 5 days standby with minimal usage might be possible.

Downhome

Got stuck at home with a sick kid, I finally put on ICS and holy shit do I feel like a moron for waiting for so long. The difference is night and day

Here is a good walkthrough for any first timers like myself looking to do it

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/install-android-ice-cream-sandwich-hp-touchpad-minutes/

I use my TP every single day and I'm thinking of making the switch as well. Has your battery life suffered any?

I want to be able to watch video files I load into the TP, check email and FB, surf online, use Youtube, HBOGo, and other such services, and I'd just about be happy if it's better after updating from WebOS. Is there a Netflix app you can download once you make the switch that works fine? That is my main complaint with the TP - a lack of Netflix.

freshair

I use my TP every single day and I'm thinking of making the switch as well. Has your battery life suffered any?

I want to be able to watch video files I load into the TP, check email and FB, surf online, use Youtube, HBOGo, and other such services, and I'd just about be happy if it's better after updating from WebOS. Is there a Netflix app you can download once you make the switch that works fine? That is my main complaint with the TP - a lack of Netflix.

Netflix works fine on CM9/ICS as they've got hardware acceleration working.

I haven't used webos consistently in awhile, but if you don't have constant push notifications or anything like that, I find that battery life is stellar. And hey, you can dual boot so if you don't like it you can just continue to use webos.

So where do I get the new wireless drivers from?

As I speculated before, it looks like different people are experiencing drastically different battery life with Android. I'm in the lucky camp with good battery life (in fact I notice no difference between WebOS and ICS).

Still curious about the new wireless drivers though.

Zapages

I am thinking of putting Android on my touchpad. Should I wait for 3.0 kernal thingy and for the camera to be fixed... Also has the wifi issues been resolved on the latest CM9 Alpha 2?

I am not going to be using it for the most part, but my Father. So any suggestions will be appreciated.

I am thinking of putting Android on my touchpad. Should I wait for 3.0 kernal thingy and for the camera to be fixed... Also has the wifi issues been resolved on the latest CM9 Alpha 2?

I am not going to be using it for the most part, but my Father. So any suggestions will be appreciated.

As long as he doesn't mind a non-working camera, latest CM9 should be stable enough. Wifi issues does happen but rarely. And it's fixed just by resetting the wifi in the settings.

Some more tests:

Wifi on, idle:

Wifi on, max brightness, playing 720p movie:

So far

Wifi disabled on idle:
2d 22h 26min

Wifi on, idle:
2d 14h 46min

Wifi on, max brightness, playing 720p movie:
4h 37min

Difference with Wifi on or off isn't actually that big apparently, but max brightness absolutly kills the battery -.-

Waiting for my tablet to fully charge to do the same tests with the new drivers.

Ashhong

I'll have to get my Touchpad back from my dad to do my own test, but what about that slope in your last picture with the video playback? Looks like about 5% in 4 hours with wifi on. That would equate to 125 hours, or 5 days 5 hours.

I'll have to get my Touchpad back from my dad to do my own test, but what about that slope in your last picture with the video playback? Looks like about 5% in 4 hours with wifi on. That would equate to 125 hours, or 5 days 5 hours.

Where did you get the 4hours from? The whole screen is 5 hours, that's like 20 mins or something.

And I dunno, it was probably games, seems to be smaller slope then the video playback, although not by much.

*edit* Oh I nm, I see what you mean, that slope is the same as the pic before.

saunderez

My battery life since installing the new wifi driver. Minimal usage

ikA8rjZ4Z4ahH.png

It wasn't fully charged when I installed the driver so I think 5 days on idle might be possible.

Top Bottom