• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Downhome

I think Netflix would be flat out foolish to not go ahead and release an app for the TP. At this price point, you're going to have a ton of people out there that do not own a smart phone or tablet of any sort. A lot of those people may not have ever even tried Netflix before. Give those people the option of a Netflix app, on this incredibly cheap piece of awesome hardware, and I'm certain it would lead to a number of new subscribers.

Barrett2

My wife's just arrived. Setting it up for her. Any good lists of the essential apps I should install for her?

And if I am reading this correctly, the order I should do this in is:

Download system update > download 'preware' > perform the tweaks listed in OP?

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
lawblob said:
My wife's just arrived. Setting it up for her. Any good lists of the essential apps I should install for her?

And if I am reading this correctly, the order I should do this in is:

Download system update > download 'preware' > perform the tweaks listed in OP?

Yep, mine just came in the mail 10 minutes ago and in the process of doing that.

dream

Milhouse31 said:
Best google reader client ?

reader.google.com

Seriously.

The native clients I've tried are absolutely disgusting. They all try to imitate Reeder without providing any of the usability or functionality.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
dream said:
reader.google.com

Seriously.

The native clients I've tried are absolutely disgusting. They all try to imitate Reeder without providing any of the usability or functionality.

Yeah I tried it but the lack of shortcuts and the small buttons are a pain in the ass

Joe

guys, my brothers touchpad doesnt turn on and it's right out of the box.... :(

is this a known issue? any possible fixes? is he screwed pretty much?

LordCanti

Joe said:
guys, my brothers touchpad doesnt turn on and it's right out of the box.... :(

is this a known issue? any possible fixes? is he screwed pretty much?

Is it plugged in? Just got mine, and it did not arrive pre-charged.

For anyone that was wondering, the Griffin Elan Folio for iPad does fit, but just barely. I wouldn't recommend it since the official case came down in price. It's too fat I guess, so the seams around the screen get pushed out.

It would serve, but not well.

Joe

LordCanti said:
Is it plugged in? Just got mine, and it did not arrive pre-charged.

For anyone that was wondering, the Griffin Elan Folio for iPad does fit, but just barely. I wouldn't recommend it since the official case came down in price. It's too fat I guess, so the seams around the screen get pushed out.

It would serve, but not well.
he's charging it now. he said he plugs it in and there is no notification at all that the unit is charging, is that normal? how long did you charge it for before it turned on?

it also does not turn on while plugged in

neonglow

Joe said:
he's charging it now. he said he plugs it in and there is no notification at all that the unit is charging, is that normal? how long did you charge it for before it turned on?

it also does not turn on while plugged in

The plug is also 2 separate pieces. Make sure it's locked in place together by twisting it.

giga

Anyone using the Touchstone? I have one sitting on my desk unopened but I'm contemplating if I really need this thing. It can't connect to your computer for syncing and there are no magnets for quick positioning. I already have the case for keeping it upright if I need to.

If it was for a phone I'd be more sympathetic but tablets (or my iPad) lasts so long that charging is not a common task.

Are there any other passkeys besides the general ones such as 0000,1111, and 1234? I'm trying to connect my bluetooth keyboard, but none of those work. I tried looking on Google, but no help so far.
Anyone?

dream

giga said:
Anyone using the Touchstone? I have one sitting on my desk unopened but I'm contemplating if I really need this thing. It can't connect to your computer for syncing and there are no magnets for quick positioning. I already have the case for keeping it upright if I need to.

If it was for a phone I'd be more sympathetic but tablets (or my iPad) lasts so long that charging is not a common task.

It only cost me $31 so I'm keeping it...any more than that would probably be too much for something that offers such limited functionality.

giga

dream said:
It only cost me $31 so I'm keeping it...any more than that would probably be too much for something that offers such limited functionality.
Does it charge when the touchpad is shut down? I don't want this to stop working once I put android or win8 on the touchpad.

LordCanti

dream said:

The USB plug on the bottom of the Touchpad is such a miserable little plug, that I'm tempted to run out and find a touchstone.

Other than that, I'm not having any problems with the Touchpad really. The browser is quirky, but I'm hopeful that it will be fixed in the update. I can completely see why this thing didn't sell at $500 (the screen doesn't get all that bright, and it's kind of low quality; I see bands of grey, for instance, unless my eyes are just going).

For $99 though? Excellent. Could not be happier.

Edit: Oh my God is this thing a fingerprint magnet. It needs a bit more brightness in the display to mask the smudges you leave all over it.

Speakers are weirdly fantastic.

Joe said:
all charger pieces are connected. ive never heard of a device not working right out of the box??

I plugged it in, and then maybe...mmm...five minutes later, it came on with a screen asking me what language I spoke. I didn't try the top button, because the manual said to charge the device first. Not sure if it would have worked.

SteveO409

I'm really enjoying it so far but the only gripe is that it can't handle own3d.tv streams....even my ipod touch 2nd gen can handle stream watching on own3d.tv -_-

Joe

is best buy accepting returns on these things? what about hp? any chance of getting it serviced or replaced??

why do i get the feeling he will be stuck with a brick....

LordCanti

Joe said:
is best buy accepting returns on these things? what about hp? any chance of getting it serviced or replaced??

Best Buy will not accept returns. Thing has a warranty through HP though.

dream

giga said:
Does it charge when the touchpad is shut down? I don't want this to stop working once I put android or win8 on the touchpad.

Good question...let's find out.

My battery's at 92% right now. I'm shutting down the Touchpad and dropping it on the dock for 10 minutes or so...

um, scratch that, it booted back up as soon as I dropped it on the dock.

Joe

LordCanti said:
Best Buy will not accept returns. Thing has a warranty through HP though.
awesome! thanks, i will be in touch with them tonight. it sucks that it doesn't work but i'm just glad it's not a lost cause...that is until hp somehow inevitably screws me :p

3N16MA

Banned
Joe said:

Weird how they won't accept returns in the U.S. but make it very clear that they will in Canada.

LordCanti

3N16MA said:
Weird how they won't accept returns in the U.S. but make it very clear that they will in Canada.

Maybe Canada has a law against not taking returns on broken items or something.

This thing has failed to update on me three times in a row. HP's servers must be getting slammed.

SteveO409

Any tips on getting comicshelf HD to read my manga...I added a .cbz and .crz after the name but it still doesn't read it when rebooting the system. It read a comic .cbz file(batman) correctly. All of my manga are in .rar files which I read is the same thing. It's odd that it doesn't read it

JBuccCP

Got preware and patches installed, plus oc'd. Feels pretty quick. I like the autocorrect too. Oh the notifications are so slick too. Such a shame the hardware is so unoptimized out of the box.

dream said:
Good question...let's find out.

My battery's at 92% right now. I'm shutting down the Touchpad and dropping it on the dock for 10 minutes or so...

um, scratch that, it booted back up as soon as I dropped it on the dock.
I turn mine off, stick it on the dock (and watch as it displays a clock, cool...) while it recharges. Been doing that each night.

Chesskid1

Banned
is there anyway i could take over OP, or maybe i could just PM the OP updates?

there's quite afew things i'd like to add.

general overview/specs/gestures

a nice preware tutorial + recommend patches. the links are okay but they aren't formatted very well and not user friendly.

apps recommendations (there aren't a bunch of apps but there are a couple good ones)

android update status, will say what the current status of android is, with eventually the tutorial on how to run android.

all ill really need is help with the headers for each section, don't know any photoshop.

let's get a nice OP going guys.

Malo

Banned
Everytime I try to update my touchpad it says, " Unable to connect. Try again later. " Anyone had/have this problem?

Chesskid1 said:
is there anyway i could take over OP, or maybe i could just PM the OP updates?

there's quite afew things i'd like to add...
I'd like to see this as well.

PM the OP, if he doesn't want to keep it updated then check with a mod to see if you can start a new thread, then get them merge this one with your new one.

Firestorm said:
Canadians, Future Shop just got 70 Touchstone Charging Docks on backorder. $29.99 after coupon SAVE25TABLETACC (apply on checkout payment page).

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=b1e72b4909f8958ab7179b039fe37df3en02
Shit, by the time I signed up an account there and dug out my VISA, they were sold out.

mclaren777

SuperMalo said:
Everytime I try to update my touchpad it says, " Unable to connect. Try again later. " Anyone had/have this problem?
Yep. Just keep hitting the 'Download Now' button until it fully unpacks.

It too me about two hours.

kmfdmpig

SteveO409 said:
Any tips on getting comicshelf HD to read my manga...I added a .cbz and .crz after the name but it still doesn't read it when rebooting the system. It read a comic .cbz file(batman) correctly. All of my manga are in .rar files which I read is the same thing. It's odd that it doesn't read it

I think you can rename a rar of images to cbr or a zip of images to cbz. Try renaming it and see if that works.

mclaren777 said:

for me the whole update took 15 minutes. There was update for app store too i downloaded today.

bob page

Just got mine from TigerDirect. Here are a few first impressions (I already own an iPad 2, so I'll compare it to that):

-The build quality is better than the Xoom, other Android tablets but still feels a bit cheap (probably because of the plastic backing)
-The screen is definitely more responsive than Android tablets, as responsible as the iPad 2
-The rounded body feels pretty good in the hands
-The packaging is very nice, I wouldn't be able to tell that this box didn't come out of Cupertino were it not for the HP logo
-Web browsing is definitely a lot slower than on the iPad 2, but similar to iPad 1 speeds
-Screen doesn't seem as sharp as the iPad 2 for some reason (fonts in browser, etc)

Overall, for $100, this is a great device and those that don't already own a tablet will get some good use out of it.

Malo

Banned
mclaren777 said:

It looks like it's going to take the same amount of time for me.

Arrrrrrrg, WTF is wrong with my Touchpad? The volume switch will only lower volume regardless of where you touch it (can only increase volume through the system settings area), and I don't get audio from anything other than the swiping and other GUI related actions. No audio in pandora, browser, or angry birds (was getting audio in angry birds earlier). I figured updating the OS would do something, but that hasn't done anything. The first time I booted my TP I ended up in some service mode/diag area. Anyone know how to get back in?

edit: If I plug headphones in I suddenly get all audio again. Switch is still borked. If I unplug my headphones, audio is broken again. Still get UI sounds through the speakers though.

Valkyr Junkie said:
Arrrrrrrg, WTF is wrong with my Touchpad? The volume switch will only lower volume regardless of where you touch it (can only increase volume through the system settings area), and I don't get audio from anything other than the swiping and other GUI related actions. No audio in pandora, browser, or angry birds (was getting audio in angry birds earlier). I figured updating the OS would do something, but that hasn't done anything. The first time I booted my TP I ended up in some service mode/diag area. Anyone know how to get back in?
You try loading/unloading the volume app (preware)? Might be worth a shot.

Increase Touchpad Volume (under Linux apps)

Aruarian Reflection said:
Anybody else unable to access the app catalog? I haven't been able to get in a single time since this was delivered to me. Preware works fine though
Just tried and it loaded right away for me (Canada). You not even getting the Pivot screen?

Puppet Shadow said:
You try loading/unloading the volume app (preware)? Might be worth a shot.

Increase Touchpad Volume (under Linux apps)

I haven't thrown preware on it yet, but I guess that'd be my next step.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Joe said:
all charger pieces are connected. ive never heard of a device not working right out of the box??
There was someone in one of the two threads that needed to use a different USB cable — the one included didn't work. That might be worth a shot.

Top Bottom