• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Argyle

Violater said:
Is there any way to tether via usb to an android phone?
AFAIK, no.

Another thing to keep in mind is that I'm pretty sure that the TouchPad will not connect to adhoc WiFi networks, only Infrastructure WiFi networks, so keep that in mind if you are going to try to use WiFi tethering...

equap

Banned
Argyle said:
AFAIK, no.

Another thing to keep in mind is that I'm pretty sure that the TouchPad will not connect to adhoc WiFi networks, only Infrastructure WiFi networks, so keep that in mind if you are going to try to use WiFi tethering...
i thought you can do that with preware installed?

Argyle

equap said:
i thought you can do that with preware installed?
Maybe...I know about freeTether but that is for webOS phones, so that you can tether other devices to your phone via Wi-Fi...

Birbo

magnificent83 said:
Was suffering through the firmware update issue then I was recommended going the WebOS doctor route, 20 minutes later, all updated.

Instructions
WebOS Doctor versions

I keep getting an error message when I try this, something about not having the correct serial number. Hey, I didn't enter it in; it came right from the Touchpad!

sk3

Banned
This thing is such a clusterfuck. 4 hours to update, fails anyway. Half the time I try to buy an app it fails. HP is a huge company, I refuse to believe the problem is overloaded servers.

jgkspsx

Jo-El said:
Thanks!

"And stay tuned for the next 6-Pack of apps (planned for early September)."

Sounds good to me :)
Yeah, but... Why should I buy any more apps if a whole bunch more will be released for free?

I really like this thing. I wasn't sold on tablets before, and I'm a lot closer to sold now.

EDIT:
Selecting text is a nightmare, though. It works so well with the gesture area in webOS 2...

sk3 said:
This thing is such a clusterfuck. 4 hours to update, fails anyway. Half the time I try to buy an app it fails. HP is a huge company, I refuse to believe the problem is overloaded servers.
The irony is that they're quitting hardware to focus on IT contracting... Selling software development, hosting, maintenance, reliability services. You know, the kind of thing the webOS infrastructure is so clearly lacking.

Violater

Argyle said:
AFAIK, no.

Aww tarter sauce.

I was hoping pdanet would be available for the touchpad

VanWinkle

gkryhewy said:
Why is Apple the only mobile device developer to recognize the importance of hardware-accelerated web browsing? It's such a key part of the experience, and WebOS/Android can't seem to approach the performance feel despite significantly higher raw horsepower. iPad 1's *launch* browser performance (not re: tabs, but re: smooth panning/scrolling) still has yet to be equaled by a non-iOS device.

I thought Honeycomb did have hardware-accelerated web browsing? It's extremely smooth on my Transformer.

I tried to install Uberkernel (or whatever it's called), and it failed to install properly. Now, I see the icon but the program doesn't start. And I go into preware but don't see it in my list of installed apps, patches, etc.

Anyone know how to get around this?

gokieks

Spiderjericho said:
I tried to install Uberkernel (or whatever it's called), and it failed to install properly. Now, I see the icon but the program doesn't start. And I go into preware but don't see it in my list of installed apps, patches, etc.

Anyone know how to get around this?

You shouldn't need to go into UberKernel. Install it and Govnah, then restart the entire device (and not just Luna), then go into Govnah to change the max speed on CPU.

gokieks said:
You shouldn't need to go into UberKernel. Install it and Govnah, then restart the entire device (and not just Luna), then go into Govnah to change the max speed on CPU.

I had to get webos doctor to restore back 3.0.2. I'll try installing them again, but I kept getting install errors whenever I tried to install UberKernel. Govnah would install just fine. So I'm back at square one with my Touchpad except for the apps I got from the official store.

TheExodu5 said:
The more I use WebOS, the more I'm starting to grow fond of it. I was browsing the web at work with my iPhone and I kept trying to swipe browser windows up to trash them.

It's such a shame the browser stinks, because WebOS is just beautiful.

Someone should port Firefox to Touchpad.

nataku said:
lol

"This promo code has reached its limit and is no longer valid."

On Glimpse and Sparkle HD.

Uh wow that was fast... glad I got in on it.

Anyone here install Machinarium yet? I'm having issues. When I go to open the machinarium.htm file through Internalz Pro, it opens it in an editor as a basic .txt file (even though it is definitely a .htm file)... should I be using something besides Internalz to open it?

Argyle

dream said:
I tried another Google Reader client called TouchFeeds.

It's shit too.

sigh.
Best one I have used is Feeder, but it is a phone app that runs fullscreen...which means that it will not rotate into portrait mode :(

nataku said:
lol

"This promo code has reached its limit and is no longer valid."

On Glimpse and Sparkle HD.

I missed out on Sparkle HD and the Birds one. Because I still have some shame left, I didn't even try the Kung Fu Panda.

Glimpse is cool btw.

I was lucky enough to snag a TP from Argos in the UK during the firesale.

The problem is I'm in Dubai.

How does the HP Appstore work?

With the Apple iTunes/Appstore all that is important is having a valid creditcard and address to set up the account. The iPhone/iPad doesn't care where it the world you actually access the store.

Do you think the HP Appstore will work like this? I can get the inital unboxing and setup done in the UK if it is important.

Or will I be locked out as there is no store in UAE?

For ppl. wanting to get the kindle app outside of the US: you can either download it (off of megaupload or such) and install through dev mode + WebOSQuickInstall-4.2.3

Or download Impostah (from preware) and do this:
(this is also how you generally access the US app store)

- Open Impostah
- Choose Activation
- Choose US, English, a new email address, and a password
- Tap Create Profile (then click yes through everything)

from here, I just went to the app store, searched for kindle and installed it regularly, lol

- Open up Impostah again
- Choose App catalog
- enter com.pal.app.kindle
- Get info
- Install

- Open Impostah (again!)
- Choose Activation
- Choose your own country, your preferred language, the email address of your original profile, and the password

Done!
http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad-apps/288730-no-kindle-app-uk-3.html#post3099814

After getting the kindle app I wanted to use the free app codes, but they were down by then :/

equap

Banned
sk3 said:
aww poor wittle baby, everything will be alright. :[

tino

Banned
WTF, after validating the 3.0.2 OTA update, it just sits there with an empty progress bar, am I supposed to do something.

This is more user unfriendly than Nokia phone updates.

edit: looks like I have to restart the system update app.

R2D4

Banned
I think the problems with the updates are just because thousands of people are trying to do it. When I got mine saturday morning it updated with no problems. My second one is suppose to be here today. We'll see how it does.

LCfiner

R2D4 said:
I think the problems with the updates are just because thousands of people are trying to do it. When I got mine saturday morning it updated with no problems. My second one is suppose to be here today. We'll see how it does.

the more incredible thought is that if HP had actually sold the number of products it had manufactured and had anticipated it was going to sell, their update system would be broken.

TehOh

So, any good accessory sales with stock left? I'd like to grab a case and maybe the charging dock for cheap.

Also, what's the best video app? I want something that can play avi/xvid videos.

TehOh said:
Also, what's the best video app? I want something that can play avi/xvid videos.
I think there's only one option: KalemSoft Media Player. It ain't cheap though..
Worked with most formats I threw at it, but choked on 720p mkv (slower frame rate + out of sync audio) :( - maybe overclocking would help.

Blackhead

Redarse
LCfiner said:
the more incredible thought is that if HP had actually sold the number of products it had manufactured and had anticipated it was going to sell, their update system would be broken.
Low blow. Overloaded servers is not an unknown problem in the industry.

Top Bottom