• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

J-Rod

Shadowlink said:
Are there any other passkeys besides the general ones such as 0000,1111, and 1234? I'm trying to connect my bluetooth keyboard, but none of those work. I tried looking on Google, but no help so far.

I have you checked your keyboard manual? The bluetooth stuff I have usually suggests a code in cases where the device you're connecting to requires it.

Joe said:
awesome! thanks, i will be in touch with them tonight. it sucks that it doesn't work but i'm just glad it's not a lost cause...that is until hp somehow inevitably screws me :p

A stretch, but I would try a different power outlet. The outlet I use to charge my phone usually takes a few seconds for it to start charging. I never knew why until I plugged the touchpad into it and got a message about it not putting out enough power to charge. Plugging it into a different one worked. I dunno.

It could also be the adapter. The one I use to charge my Pre looks the same and it broke, so I don't have a lot of confidence in them. My TP had enough juice to power up out of box though too.

I finally figured out how to customize the 5 icons at the bottom, yay! For those slow like me:

1. Press and hold the lower icon you want to remove till it starts to move a bit, then drag it to the middle of the screen to remove it. The default ones you remove still show up on the APPS tab.

2. Press and hold an icon you want to place below till it is moveable, then drag it to the bottom.

R2D4

Banned
How do you use a promo code? It keeps wanting me to set up a credit card. There is no "use promo code" when I hit purchase like the instructions say.

TheExodu5

Banned
The more I use WebOS, the more I'm starting to grow fond of it. I was browsing the web at work with my iPhone and I kept trying to swipe browser windows up to trash them.

It's such a shame the browser stinks, because WebOS is just beautiful.

R2D4 said:
How do you use a promo code? It keeps wanting me to set up a credit card. There is no "use promo code" when I hit purchase like the instructions say.
From the web page:

App Promo Rules

Eligibility Requirements: US-based HP employees, HP reseller partners, HP customers and HP webOS developer partners are eligible to use these App Promo codes. Promo participants require a TouchPad with a current functioning user profile; with credit card purchasing enabled. The promo codes below will expire on August 31, 2011 at 11:59 PM. Promo codes are available for as long as inventories last.

To redeem this offer select the desired app for purchase in the HP App catalog and when prompted enter the promo code. No charges will be made against your credit card, but you will receive a receipt.
Sucks it's only for US though (with a promise of other countries later).

R2D4 said:
So buy a 99 cent app first, it's worth it (assuming you want at least one of the free ones).

user_nat said:
"This application is not available in your country"

Seriously? Stupid.
From the same web page:

These promo codes are only for use in the U.S.; check back soon for promo codes in other countries where TouchPad is available.

TheExodu5 said:
Advanced Browser is probably worth a buy if you're looking to spend a tiny bit of cash.
First one I bought!

Noshino

Puppet Shadow said:
So buy a 99 cent app first, it's worth it (assuming you want at least one of the free ones).

Why would he have to buy a 99 cent app?

Just go to Preferences > Add Account

Vyer

The free App thing is cool, and Glimpse looks pretty sweet.

HP App Catalog is pretty sluggish, but I just discovered the Software Manager and there's an update for it, so maybe that'll help.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Puppet Shadow said:
Just tried and it loaded right away for me (Canada). You not even getting the Pivot screen?

It would load the Pivot screen for about half a second before flashing an error message to try again later. But the app catalog is working for me finally, after I reset the Touchpad to factory settings.

gkryhewy said:
Holy shit, trying to install the 3.0.2 update is brutal. I'm dying here.
It's because these things are capped at 64kb/s for downloads, apparently. (until you get Unthrottle from preware)

So stupid.

gkryhewy

onlyindreams said:
It's because these things are capped at 64kb/s for downloads, apparently. (until you get Unthrottle from preware)

So stupid.

ugh! But no, it's worse than that... I could deal with slow, but having to restart time after time is just brutal.

gkryhewy said:
ugh! But no, it's worse than that... I could deal with slow, but having to restart time after time is just brutal.
Yeah, those "Unable to connect"s fucking suck too and I've had to deal with it on all 4 of the ones I've bought for myself and family. Its horrible. I had one finish unpacking and then just start over at the beginning for some reason, another stayed blank without an install button and I had to reset.

Insane that they shipped something that can barely perform a firmware update.

gkryhewy

onlyindreams said:
Yeah, those "Unable to connect"s fucking suck too and I've had to deal with it on all 4 of the ones I've bought for myself and family. Its horrible. I had one finish unpacking and then just start over at the beginning for some reason, another stayed blank without an install button and I had to reset.

Insane that they shipped something that can barely perform a firmware update.

Yes! How in the shit can it time out during unpacking, when the download is already complete? ::dies::

Vyer

gkryhewy said:
I stayed in the app/card, and as soon as it failed, tapped 'Download Now' again. It picked up where it left off. You have to stay with it and nurse it, but it'll work eventually.

That Audubon Birds free app won't install for shit.

Vyer

Joe said:
all charger pieces are connected. ive never heard of a device not working right out of the box??
This'll sound dumb, but just in case: I have to hold the power button for like 10 seconds and then let go for it to power on.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
snoopeasystreet said:
Feels a lot faster after overclocking to 1.7Ghz. Looking forward to seeing what the internet hacker gangs can do with this.
Hows the battery life at 1.7?

snoopeasystreet said:
Feels a lot faster after overclocking to 1.7Ghz. Looking forward to seeing what the internet hacker gangs can do with this.
Is that making your touchpad run any hotter? I'm on 1.5Ghz and all seems good now.

Argyle

Vyer said:
This'll sound dumb, but just in case: I have to hold the power button for like 10 seconds and then let go for it to power on.
I haven't run my battery down but I think it behaves the same way as the older webOS devices...if it is off, it is supposed to turn on when a charger is connected. If the battery is completely dead (it won't try to start up with a completely dead battery) then the screen will turn on with a dead battery icon (a battery partially filled in red) with a charging icon (lightning bolt) on top of it until there is enough charge for it to boot.

On the Palm Pre if the battery was too dead to start the phone but no charger was connected and you turned it on...you'd see an empty battery icon with a plug and a question mark icon, IIRC.

You should check that the charger is assembled correctly, the plug twists off (presumably so they can use the same charger with different plugs in different regions). I just opened up a Touchstone for my desk and the power adapter on that just separated in two when I moved it to a different plug.

Edit: just realized I replied to someone who isn't having a problem, but hopefully it helps the person who is having trouble :)

gkryhewy

Vyer said:
I stayed in the app/card, and as soon as it failed, tapped 'Download Now' again. It picked up where it left off. You have to stay with it and nurse it, but it'll work eventually.

That Audubon Birds free app won't install for shit.
Yeah, no. I nursed for about two hours, and couldn't manage that doctor thing successfully because the install fails on my macbook. I'll try again at 6am; enough for one night.

I was on 86% at 2 o'clock. After ~45 minutes of web browsing, I'm at 80. Seems alright to me but I have the brightness fairly low. Doesn't feel any hotter.

Argyle

user_nat said:
Hows the battery life at 1.7?
It's good now - I think the next to last version of the kernel I am using (F-15C) was hacked to fuck with people who were bitching that the second core wasn't being used enough, so he set it up so that the second core never spun completely down and the battery life sucked as a result :)

On this kernel the second core is completely idled when there isn't enough load to start it up. I think the current drain as measured by Govnah is not much more than stock to be honest, so battery life shouldn't be affected too much.

Thanks for the 6 free apps link. If I download these now with the promo code but delete them, can I download them again later for free since I "purchased" them via the promo codes just now?

bananaman1234

Unconfirmed Member
Browsing online with this is kinda annoying with the constant refreshes. I wish there were a way to sync the browser with chrome. I have all my bookmarks on there and I'd like easy access to all the google apps.

Soka said:
Thanks for the 6 free apps link. If I download these now with the promo code but delete them, can I download them again later for free since I "purchased" them via the promo codes just now?
yep, they just show up as free in the app catalog

gkryhewy

Why is Apple the only mobile device developer to recognize the importance of hardware-accelerated web browsing? It's such a key part of the experience, and WebOS/Android can't seem to approach the performance feel despite significantly higher raw horsepower. iPad 1's *launch* browser performance (not re: tabs, but re: smooth panning/scrolling) still has yet to be equaled by a non-iOS device.

Argyle

BTW, I initially skipped the keyboard because it didn't review particularly well when the Touchpad came out...but now that they are being blown out, I picked one up and it's a lot nicer than I thought it would be. One nice feature is the dedicated "Just Type" button that immediately brings up the search bar...you can also turn the screen on and off with the dedicated power button.

Sadly, although you can minimize the current card with the Minimize Card button (just like the button on the bottom of the tablet), you cannot swipe left and right with the arrow keys. Another oversight is that you can't ctrl-XCV for cut/copy/paste with the keyboard (wtf? I tried Symbol-XCV but that didn't seem to work either). Highlighting text in text fields works fine, thought (hold shift and use the arrow keys)...

I had a couple of connection glitches with it but overall I like it...dunno if it was worth $70 but it's worth $30-35 IMHO...

Why is Apple the only mobile device developer to recognize the importance of hardware-accelerated web browsing? It's such a key part of the experience, and WebOS/Android can't seem to approach the performance feel despite significantly higher raw horsepower. iPad 1's *launch* browser performance (not re: tabs, but re: smooth panning/scrolling) still has yet to be equaled by a non-iOS device.

It might be that the scrolling is actually more of a function of the way they implemented their multi-touch, there are a couple of patches that minimize the amount you have to drag your finger for it to start scrolling that make things appear smoother, but at the cost of making small targets to click on harder to hit with your finger.

SRG01

gkryhewy said:
Yes! How in the shit can it time out during unpacking, when the download is already complete? ::dies::

It's probably like that because it's verifying the integrity of the files to something on HP's servers.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
gkryhewy said:

If you're talking mobile in general, Windows Phone 7 has hardware accelerated everything. The browser is silky smooth.

gkryhewy

VanMardigan said:
If you're talking mobile in general, Windows Phone 7 has hardware accelerated everything. The browser is silky smooth.
Well good for them on that, then. Haven't tried WP7 yet. But this still seems like an easily correctable blind spot for everyone else. The out of the box browser performance of the touchpad is AWFUL. I can't believe they launched this thing at price parity to the iPad 2.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
gkryhewy said:
Well good for them on that, then. Haven't tried WP7 yet. But this still seems like an easily correctable blind spot for everyone else. The out of the box browser performance of the touchpad is AWFUL. I can't believe they launched this thing at price parity to the iPad 2.

I can't excuse HP/Palm, but certainly on Android it's not so simple because you have all the different types of hardware to deal with. Apple and MS tightly regulate the hardware so they can optimize the software better and do hardware acceleration.

For some reason my browser seems to cache way too much so I'm always getting non current pages on GAF. It sucks having to hit reload after going into a previously read topic.

snoopeasystreet said:
For some reason my browser seems to cache way too much so I'm always getting non current pages on GAF. It sucks having to hit reload after going into a previously read topic.

This is a universal issue. Hopefully someone in the dev community finds a way to deal with it.

Top Bottom