• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Chesskid1

Banned
Phantast2k said:
I think there's only one option: KalemSoft Media Player. It ain't cheap though..
Worked with most formats I threw at it, but choked on 720p mkv (slower frame rate + out of sync audio) :( - maybe overclocking would help.

it sucks because it's not doing hardware decoding of the files -- it's software. if you play a 1080/720p video on the touchpad's native player -- they will play fine (but obviously not many videos use these codecs).

J-Rod

Soka said:
Uh wow that was fast... glad I got in on it.

Anyone here install Machinarium yet? I'm having issues. When I go to open the machinarium.htm file through Internalz Pro, it opens it in an editor as a basic .txt file (even though it is definitely a .htm file)... should I be using something besides Internalz to open it?
In the precentral thread, there was a post on how to make it show up as a nice little app icon. I believe it was on the first page of post, but if not, it was on the second. You can browse the thread and download/install the ipk from the touchpad's web browser. It gets rid of the address bar when running the game too which is nice.

The servers are definitely getting slammed. The store was much faster saturday.

J-Rod

Phantast2k said:
I think there's only one option: KalemSoft Media Player. It ain't cheap though..
Worked with most formats I threw at it, but choked on 720p mkv (slower frame rate + out of sync audio) :( - maybe overclocking would help.
There is the touchplayer app (free forever). The install on preware doesn't work though. You will have to manually download the ipk and install it through webos quickinstall. You can find the ipk in the creator's thread on precentral. I'd link it, but on a celly.

J-Rod said:
There is the touchplayer app (free forever). The install on preware doesn't work though. You will have to manually download the ipk and install it through webos quickinstall. You can find the ipk in the creator's thread on precentral. I'd link it, but on a celly.
it works but its pretty barebones, there isn't even progress/duration bar or pause control buttons

Chesskid1 said:
it sucks because it's not doing hardware decoding of the files -- it's software. if you play a 1080/720p video on the touchpad's native player -- they will play fine (but obviously not many videos use these codecs).
Right! Also youtube videos up to 1080p work fine from what I remember. It kind of similar to the ps3, where it supports the right codec, but doesn't support the container. Afaik you can also transcode mkv files in order to fit the requirement, instead of reencoding them. I tried (using mkv2vob) & failed, lol
So yeah, atm it's either fumbling around with your files or buying that player :/

J-Rod said:
Oh yeah right! But that thing produced psychedelic colors all sorts of weirdness for me :/

TheExodu5

Banned
BHome is another DLNA streamer, I think. I'd like to see if we can get something working with PS3MediaServer...if all the transcoding is done server side, then the format hopefully shouldn't matter.

TheExodu5 said:
BHome is another DLNA streamer, I think. I'd like to see if we can get something working with PS3MediaServer...if all the transcoding is done server side, then the format hopefully shouldn't matter.

BHome won't even display pictures from a DLNA server for me. Pretty sad this thing doesn't support DLNA/uPnP out of the box.

Jo-El

It's too bad those free apps aren't available anymore. I tried to get them last night but the app store wasn't working for me :/

Tonza

Got my cheap Touchpad today. Been playing around a bit and it's pretty good. The OS is great but choppy.

Only thing that irks me right of the bat is the lack of Kindle app in Europe. The cloud reader doesn't work either. I was planning on selling my iPad 2 now and keep the Touchpad until iPad 3 or Icecream sandwich tablets but I'll have to play around more with this before deciding.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Loving this so far. First tablet, so don't really have anything to compare to, but very impressed by how snappy the multitasking is - and this without any tweaks yet. I hope any Android port will be as satisfying in that regard. And yes, *posted from my touchpad* :p

Wow, this POS has gone from bad to worse. In an attempt to resolve my sound issue I downloaded the WebOS Doctor utility to see if I could just wipe the damn thing and start over. The utility never recognized the device when plugged in via USB. I read on precentral about maybe needing to power the thing on while holding up on the volume switch, so I tried that, but the damn thing never turned back on.

Way to go HP, way to go.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Anyone having a problem with the app catalog store ? I can get the home page however when I pick social networking I get an error

rc213

Got preware and speed patches done, What else should I do before handing it over to my sister?

What video codecs does it support? Can I just dump divx/xvid videos in it along with pictures and mp3s? Do I need a video player?

RobertM

Valkyr Junkie said:
Wow, this POS has gone from bad to worse. In an attempt to resolve my sound issue I downloaded the WebOS Doctor utility to see if I could just wipe the damn thing and start over. The utility never recognized the device when plugged in via USB. I read on precentral about maybe needing to power the thing on while holding up on the volume switch, so I tried that, but the damn thing never turned back on.

Way to go HP, way to go.
Clearly you're not following directions. I followed these directions and it worked without a problem (also get the latest webOS doctor):
Once webOS doctor is downloaded on your home PC, run the program.

Now, take your touchpad (still not plugged into the computer) and turn it off. Insert the USB cable into the touchpad but NOT into the computer just yet. Hold the volume button while turning on the touchpad. This will bring up the USB picture on the touchpad. Once you are at this point, run webOS doctor up until the point where the "next" button is greyed out and it asks you to plug in the touchpad. Thanks to vladoski for this information - it certainly should help people who have been having trouble performing a webOS doctor, so I've added it here.

Now plug your -fully charged- turned-on touchpad into the computer via the USB cable and like magic you'll have a properly updated touchpad. NOTE: Since you need a charged touchpad to perform this step, ensure your charger is working. If your touchpad isn't charging when plugged into the wall, this could be because of an odd quirk of the charger itself. It can be split into two pieces by twisting it and pulling it apart. Try twisting the charger back into "locked" position and you should be back in business.
Mine was half charged when I ran the webOS doctor. Direct link to the latest webOS doctor: http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/touchpad/p302r0d08012011/wifip302rod/webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi.jar

3N16MA

Banned
Had to keep on restarting my download of 3.0.2 as webOS kept on telling me it was unable to connect. Finally when it was ready to install it tells me that I need 50% battery life. Not that big of a deal but definitely not smooth.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
gofreak said:
Loving this so far. First tablet, so don't really have anything to compare to, but very impressed by how snappy the multitasking is - and this without any tweaks yet. I hope any Android port will be as satisfying in that regard. And yes, *posted from my touchpad* :p

Gaf is horrible on this thing, unfortunately. Too much caching. And the mobile site gives me problems logging in, probably a caching issue as well. Casual browsing is fine, but if I have to log in to use a site, I just turn my laptop on. I just use this to browse ESPN and stuff, but even my fantasy sports leagues are an issue cause it doesn't keep the signon. So browsing can be a chore, you have to hit the refresh button....a LOT.

I had to download webOS doctor to restore my Touchpad after having a failed install uberkernel. So it works. Doesn't take long to restore.

I finally got the Uberkernel to work w Govnah. Probably the easiest overclock.

Comicshelf works pretty good. The only issue is not remembering the last page.

Anyone complaining, for $100, you're getting a good deal. It's no iPad but it's better than the Nook Color (minus flashing ROMs).

I wish Web OS wasn't dead, as we could still use a fully cooked browser, media player, etc (But even iPad have perfect solutions).

Karish

MThanded said:
Yeah they are all gone.

starwars-vader-nooo.jpg

dream

Spiderjericho said:
I wish Web OS wasn't dead, as we could still use a fully cooked browser, media player, etc (But even iPad have perfect solutions).

It's not like webOS had a good browser and a vibrant app store (as Pre users not named MrPliskin will attest to) even when it was still alive and supported, though...

JBuccCP

I let my mom mess around with mine for a few minutes. She liked the UI, but noted that it felt less responsive than the iPad 1 I used to have, even after patching and overclocking. As for me I'd be perfectly happy with it if the browser were better. It's fine speedwise but the caching is super annoying, and I also find the horizontal elasticity while scrolling annoying.

Karish

Tapiozona said:
I got mine from best buy at 7am this morning.

I bricked mine at 7:55 this morning.

These things are pretty much unbrickable. Use WebOS doctor. I have brought my Pre back from the brink of death countless times.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
snoopeasystreet said:
Any way of getting facebook chat working on this?

It was an intergraded FB chat patch for Pre that was on the precentral forums back in 09. It worked very well as your FB contacts showed up in the messaging app. Dunno if it was ever updated since, but it still works on my Pre.
and no it was never released on Preware...you actually had to download the pkg and add it manually.

Apparently a shipment came in today at a best buy in town and it was over 60 people in line at 7am....mind you a hurricane is set to hit here tomorrow.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Google Talk Video possible? On webOS, that is :)

Tapiozona

Banned
Just installing 3.0.2 managed to do it. Somewhere along the install the unit turned off (it was charged). I got it to boot using the hard reset and then I got an huge error on the screen..another hard reset brought it up normal until the screen suddenly froze over with a ton of black and blue lines criss crossing the entire screen top to bottom.

Another hard reset turned it off but it never turned on again after that. When you plug in your hp touchpad to charge it, if you touch the plug part that connects to an outlet you'll notice that it gets warm. Mine doesn't at all. There's no current running through the line.

I've tried 3 other people's wall chargers/plugs (5 people at work got them today with me at Best Buy)

I can't use WebOS Doctor because the computer won't recognize the device. Windows doesn't even realize there's a usb device plugged in and I've used 4 different computers now. WebOS Doctor just ends for me when it asks me to plug in the Touchpad and hit next. the "next" option is greyed out. Tried the up volume trick too but no go. Basically it's a useless paperweight which wont turn on.

I've had multiple webOS devices and tweaked the hell out of all of them. WebOS Dr has been a life saver for me in the past but this time it's a hardware issue. (the screen lines/freeze was a pretty good indicator. Also after one hard reset the screen start doing crazy blinking/jumping crap which eventually went away.)

Anyways, HP is sending me a postage stamped box so I can ship it to Texas. They'll probably send me back a refurb.

Bad luck for me is all. Sucks too because I got to Best buy at 5:45 and called everyone I could who had a chance of waking up to come and get one. So now my friends all have them because of me while I have a brick...frustrating. (I feel like they should offer me theirs because I'm the reason they got one but obviously that's just me being irrational.)

Cruzader said:
Trying to dl the 3.0.2 update and taking forever. Is the predate thing easy? Looked over directions and looks complicated. But I'm sure il get through it fine as this ain't my first hacking of a device.

Do you mean preware? Ya, it's really easy actually. just follow the instructions to a T

Cruzader

Banned
Trying to dl the 3.0.2 update and taking forever. Is the predate thing easy? Looked over directions and looks complicated. But I'm sure il get through it fine as this ain't my first hacking of a device.

Wtf It said I updated, checked info and shows 3.0.0 version. Now I have to download again???

VanWinkle

I have a question about FedEx for those who may know the answer. It seems like with UPS, they don't deliver the package unless they are at the final arrival station (which is usually about twenty miles from me). Well, I'm tracking my Trackpad shipment, and it just arrived in Grover City, OH (about two hours driving distance from me). It hasn't had its departure scan yet. So one question is, does FedEx deliver on Saturdays? And if so, what are the chances of me getting my order tomorrow? Estimated delivery date is tomorrow, but we can't really go by those very well. Does it have to arrive at a closer station before it goes out for delivery?

Malo

Banned
Tapiozona said:
Just installing 3.0.2 managed to do it. Somewhere along the install the unit turned off (it was charged). I got it to boot using the hard reset and then I got an huge error on the screen..another hard reset brought it up normal until the screen suddenly froze over with a ton of black and blue lines criss crossing the entire screen top to bottom.

Another hard reset turned it off but it never turned on again after that. When you plug in your hp touchpad to charge it, if you touch the plug part that connects to an outlet you'll notice that it gets warm. Mine doesn't at all. There's no current running through the line.

I've tried 3 other people's wall chargers/plugs (5 people at work got them today with me at Best Buy)

I can't use WebOS Doctor because the computer won't recognize the device. Windows doesn't even realize there's a usb device plugged in and I've used 4 different computers now. WebOS Doctor just ends for me when it asks me to plug in the Touchpad and hit next. the "next" option is greyed out. Tried the up volume trick too but no go. Basically it's a useless paperweight which wont turn on.

I've had multiple webOS devices and tweaked the hell out of all of them. WebOS Dr has been a life saver for me in the past but this time it's a hardware issue. (the screen lines/freeze was a pretty good indicator. Also after one hard reset the screen start doing crazy blinking/jumping crap which eventually went away.)

Anyways, HP is sending me a posted stamped box so I can ship it to Texas. They'll probably send me back a refurb.

Bad luck for me is all. Sucks too because I got to Best buy at 5:45 and called everyone I could who had a chance of waking up to come and get one. So now my friends all have them because of me while I have a brick...frustrating. (I feel like they should offer me theirs because I'm the reason they got one but obviously that's just me being irrational.)

Do you mean preware? Ya, it's really easy actually. just follow the instructions to a T
That sucks, talk about bad luck

Malo

Banned
Cruzader said:

Wtf It said I updated, checked info and shows 3.0.0 version. Now I have to download again???
Same thing happened to me. Just keep on pressing download now and it eventually will.

SRG01

Karish said:
These things are pretty much unbrickable. Use WebOS doctor. I have brought my Pre back from the brink of death countless times.

I keep trying to tell people this, but they won't listen to me. WebOS doctor allows you to flash regardless of its state. It's the one homebrew feature that the community loves.

jgkspsx

Amazon has keyboards for $35, though they're allegedly backordered. You pays your money, you takes yer chances. The positive impressions I've heard here sold me on one.

Tapiozona

Banned
SRG01 said:
I keep trying to tell people this, but they won't listen to me. WebOS doctor allows you to flash regardless of its state. It's the one homebrew feature that the community loves.

Still doesn't apply to me. Read my long rant/post. If the hardware is dead, you can't use WebOS Doctor

SRG01

Tapiozona said:
Still doesn't apply to me. Read my long rant/post. If the hardware is dead, you can't use WebOS Doctor

Well, of course it's a hardware issue, but it seems to be coincidental to your 3.0.2 install. If it turned off during your install and you're getting weird boot-up screens... I'm guessing it was a weak solder joint or bridge that finally failed during device operation. Or faulty power electronics circuitry.

(I'm an Electrical/Electronics Engineer)

Blackhead

Redarse
Spiderjericho said:
webOS isn't dead; HP promised *cough* *snort* to keep working on it (Where's QuickOffice editing, huh? Where's QuickOffice editing?)

dream said:
It's not like webOS had a good browser and a vibrant app store (as Pre users not named MrPliskin will attest to) even when it was still alive and supported, though...

Spiderjericho said:
Anyone complaining, for $100, you're getting a good deal. It's no iPad but it's better than the Nook Color (minus flashing ROMs).
This is the same attitude that drives people to pick up deeply discounted netbooks only Black Friday only to spend the rest of the year complaining that the netbook sucks. A good deal doesn't necessarily imply you're getting a good device. For what it's worth, no, the TouchPad isn't better than the Nook Color.

Cruzader

Banned
SuperMalo said:
Same thing happened to me. Just keep on pressing download now and it eventually will.
Tried again. It seems to complete the download but doesn't install. Am I supposed to do something else? Shouldn't it reboot after dl the latest patch?

Is there a way to dl the update off my pc then transfer it to this thing?? So annoying.

bob page

Good lord, the apps on this thing suck so far. I'm just going to use it for the bundled stuff, I suppose.

Although, HP's Facebook app is definitely better than the other tablet one's I've used.

Top Bottom