• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

dream

Vyer said:
did you try NomNomNom? Curious about it

No, I skipped that one on principle. Partially because I've already wasted money on horrible Google Reader clients, partially because of the name, but mostly because the preview UI makes me think I'd just end up hating using webOS even more than I already do.

I mean, god, look at this:

9fog8smt4eud8m47hggx.png

Malo

Banned
Cruzader said:
Tried again. It seems to complete the download but doesn't install. Am I supposed to do something else? Shouldn't it reboot after dl the latest patch?

Is there a way to dl the update off my pc then transfer it to this thing?? So annoying.
Swipe away the download page and bring it up again. It should say install now afterwards.

Vyer

dream said:
No, I skipped that one on principle. Partially because I've already wasted money on horrible Google Reader clients, partially because of the name, but mostly because the preview UI makes me think I'd just end up hating using webOS even more than I already do.

Hey, you already bought a couple shitty apps apparently, what's one more?

No risk no reward baby

dream

Vyer said:
Hey, you already bought a couple shitty apps apparently, what's one more?

No risk no reward baby

I was going to take yet another one for the team but I had to copy some shit to my TouchPad first so I plugged in the cable and tapped the USB Drive button and got a "USB Drive connection failed: Please toss away all cards and try again" error and I promptly threw my TouchPad in the garbage can.

kmfdmpig

Greyface said:
For what it's worth, no, the TouchPad isn't better than the Nook Color.

I have both, and I quite like the Nook Color. I use it for video, internet and comics quite a bit. With that said I'm pretty smitten with the Touchpad. The screen on the Touchpad is much better and also seems more responsive. There are pros and cons with each.

Touchpad pros:
Much better with videos, more horsepower = higher resolutions
Much better audio
Better screen clarity
Better multitouch
Feels faster and more responsive
Facebook app is better than FB on Android
$100 for a dual core system, which will likely get an Android port If that happens then I don't see how it's much worse than a Transformer, Xoom or Galaxy Tab, which are all $400-$500.

Nook Color pros:
Can flash different roms already
Android Apps
Perfect Viewer is as good as I can imagine a comic app can possibly be
Replaceable SD card is nice
More portable as it's quite a bit smaller (a pro and a con really)

One other thing worth noting is that the Touchpad out of the box is quite different than one that has been updated, optimized and overclocked. The same can be said of the Nook Color, but for those that are frustrated with the Touchpad I'd recommend making the updates solidifying your impression.

It's funny that I had no tablets just 9 months ago, but now that I have one 7 inch one and 1 10 inch one I'm glad I have both as the experience is quite a bit different with the different sizes. One is much more portable. The other is much larger, which for some applications is important.

Jamesfrom818 said:
The TouchPad is perfect for reading manga online but browsing forums is an absolute pain with its caching.

Does the secondapp site help with that? I have used that and haven't noticed too much of a problem, although I haven't used it too much on the Touchpad.

eastmen

Banned
gkryhewy said:
Well good for them on that, then. Haven't tried WP7 yet. But this still seems like an easily correctable blind spot for everyone else. The out of the box browser performance of the touchpad is AWFUL. I can't believe they launched this thing at price parity to the iPad 2.

with the tweaks it seems to be only slightly slower than my fathers ipad 2 and about the same speed as my sisters transformer.

Overclocked its as fast as the ipad 2 . I don't see the big deal , remember They are on 4 major revisions to the IOS software including browser updates , andriod has been around for what 3 years now also . Touch pad had 49 days of being on shelves.

The_Reckoning said:
Did they give any reasons? I'm on 1.9 and loving it.

Norm said with the qualcomm chips if you even overclock to 1.5 you will lose stability and decrease the life of the touchpad.

you can listen here fast forward to about 17:00 they talk about it.

Chesskid1

Banned
damn the nook color is one ugly tablet.

nookcolor620.jpg

i've been watching nook color honeycomb reviews on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9pOts4OmeE

gonan be sexy as fuck when we get it so we can overcome the shortcomings of webos.

from what i've been watching on IRC they'll probably have the Android Froyo build that was leaked out in a few Touchpads working in a few days [for non-devs], maybe a week. What they want to do is get an installer for it working, for everyone can have it and from there devs can start to improve on it. not exactly sure what froyo can do but i like tinkering.

already a few devs have got it working on their touchpads iirc, though it isn't user friendly process.

SRG01

Chesskid1 said:

nookcolor620.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5YBqty1qrM

gonan be sexy as fuck when we get it so we can overcome the shortcomings of webos.

from what i've been watching on IRC they'll probably have the Android Froyo build that was leaked out in a few Touchpads working in a few days [for non-devs], maybe a week. What they want to do is get an installer for it working, for everyone can have it and from there devs can start to improve on it.

already a few devs have got it working on their touchpads iirc.

I'm not even sure how they'll manage with the lack of physical buttons.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Live Free or Die said:
Norm said with the qualcomm chips if you even overclock to 1.5 you will lose stability and decrease the life of the touchpad.

you can listen here fast forward to about 17:00 they talk about it.
Hasn't everyone refuted that?

Xyphie

Qualcomm makes pretty much the same SoC as the TP uses available with a radio part and that one is clocked at 1.5GHz, the lower clock is probably just binning/crippling because it's a cheaper part. I'd say if it's stable go for it.

SRG01

LOLOL overclocking reducing life of touchpad. Unless the OC was to insane levels, any semiconductor can be made to run faster without any significant impact on the lifetime of the device.

SRG01

Xyphie said:
Qualcomm makes pretty much the same SoC as the TP uses available with a radio part and that one is clocked at 1.5GHz, the lower clock is probably just binning/crippling because it's a cheaper part. I'd say if it's stable go for it.

I think the official reason was battery life, but don't quote me on that.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Man, this thing is great with all the patches. It's a damn shame webOS is pretty much dead, because I love a lot of the features on here.

dream

How do I outright kill -9 a process? A lot of times Flash hangs and stops working even when I close all my browser windows and reopen them.

Recon

Banned
dream said:
How do I outright kill -9 a process? A lot of times Flash hangs and stops working even when I close all my browser windows and reopen them.

I thought you threw your pad in the trash?

Argyle

Live Free or Die said:
Just listened to the tested.com podcast and they dont recommend overclocking the touchpads.
I have to admit I have never been to this site, but it sounded like first they put up a video showing how slow the Touchpad is, now they are recommending that no one overclock it, is it because they want to be able to say "I told you so"? I don't get it...

(For the record these processors are supposed to be rated for 1.5ghz, so if you are paranoid, just use Uberkernel to overclock to 1.5ghz and don't use the experimental kernels that can hit 1.7ghz and beyond)

Greyface said:
For what it's worth, no, the TouchPad isn't better than the Nook Color.

I know someone already replied to you but I disagree strongly (yes I own both)...not even a fair comparison, unless you really have a strong preference for the 7" form factor.

dream

ReconYoda said:
I thought you threw your pad in the trash?

It got a momentary reprieve because I wanted to take advantage of having the full web and watch Teen Mom on mtv's website.

What a wasted effort that was.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Hi guys, I'm all new to this "patching" things and the preware shenannigins, I normally use my products as is. but i've jumped in! I've got preware working fine, i've gone to install some patches (ie Make It So) and they just dont seem to do anything.. i can see them listed under installed patches.. but my desktop still says Just Type..., i've also installed the "make videos continue to play on minimise or screen off" and they dont :( any ideas?

Argyle

Chesskid1 said:

nookcolor620.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9pOts4OmeE

from what i've been watching on IRC they'll probably have the Android Froyo build that was leaked out in a few Touchpads working in a few days [for non-devs], maybe a week. What they want to do is get an installer for it working, for everyone can have it and from there devs can start to improve on it. not exactly sure what froyo can do but i like tinkering.

already a few devs have got it working on their touchpads iirc, though it isn't user friendly process.
I haven't updated my Nook Color in a while but last I checked the build of Honeycomb was a preview build ripped from the emulator and hacked to run on the Nook Color...to say it runs like ass is being charitable, and a lot of Honeycomb apps didn't seem to run on it. It was fun to play with when the Xoom was the only Honeycomb tablet, but imho it was unusable as a daily driver OS.

I remember that there was some effort to try to get a newer build running on it, maybe that project has come to fruition, but since Honeycomb is not going to be open sourced, I doubt you will see a usable build of HC on the Nook Color, much less the Touchpad.

dream, try pulling the apps down and slingshotting them off the screen, I hear that is supposed to release the app's memory immediately.

Argyle

HolyCheck said:
Hi guys, I'm all new to this "patching" things and the preware shenannigins, I normally use my products as is. but i've jumped in! I've got preware working fine, i've gone to install some patches (ie Make It So) and they just dont seem to do anything.. i can see them listed under installed patches.. but my desktop still says Just Type..., i've also installed the "make videos continue to play on minimise or screen off" and they dont :( any ideas?
Most patches require a Luna (GUI) reboot before they take effect. You should be able to restart Luna from Preware, alternately just power cycle the device.

Chesskid1 said:
it sucks because it's not doing hardware decoding of the files -- it's software. if you play a 1080/720p video on the touchpad's native player -- they will play fine (but obviously not many videos use these codecs).

This is actually the problem all the Android-based media players have too. It's a huge pain in the ass, why doesn't anybody implement native support for mkv?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Argyle said:
Most patches require a Luna (GUI) reboot before they take effect. You should be able to restart Luna from Preware, alternately just power cycle the device.

It asks me if i want to luna reset and i say yes, it then shuts it down and restarts...

what does it mean to power cycle the device? lol i am bad at teh computers.

Argyle

Unknown Soldier said:
This is actually the problem all the Android-based media players have too. It's a huge pain in the ass, why doesn't anybody implement native support for mkv?
Typically the hardware video decoding on these gpus are not publicly documented, so that's why only the stock video player has hardware acceleration. IIRC mkv was adopted by DivX as a container format but not many devices are DivX certified.

HolyCheck said:
what does it mean to power cycle the device? lol i am bad at teh computers.

Turn it off then turn it back on :)

he was responding to me with the Nook comment. I had the Nook before and after the big update. Without flashing ROMs, I'd give the nod to the Touchpad in apps, screen, hardware (though HP incompetently throws that advantage out the window with the logging and unoptimized Linux kernel), games, etc.

If Barnes and Noble had made the Nook Color open to the Android marketplace and got Gingerbread on there, I'd say avoid the Touchpad and invest in a Nook Color. It's a good device if you want to read, light browse, email, etc.

However, I still stand by my original statement, for it's price, the Touchpad is a great deal for a Tablet.

But I'm not going to pretend it's an iPad, Transformer or the mythical Amazon Tablet, especially in support, apps and a bright future. IPad one owners will probably get iOS 5, Transformer 1 owners will most likely get ICS while Touchpad owners will get 0 but at least knowing the price of entry to browse, game, email, read was $100.

Karish

Writing this from the touchpad now. As a long time Pre user, I knew I would feel this way, but hot damn am I loving this thing! The interface shits on ios.

So I've been using this thing for a few days and I love it. But since I'm new to tablets, there's one thing I can't get used to - the keyboard.

How do you guys type? Portrait and treat it like an oversized Blackberry, or landscape and attempt to type the way we all grew up learning it? I can't find a comfortable typing style because the screen is so sensitive that I can't rest my palm, forcing me to awkwardly hunt and peck.

Diablos

I still don't understand why HP killed this product along with WebOS. They are both nice. What a dumb idea to scrap them.

Should've priced it at $249 and called it a day. The iPad is overpriced and needs some serious competition; Android alone doesn't cut it.

Diablos said:
I still don't understand why HP killed this product along with WebOS. They are both nice. What a dumb idea to scrap them.

Should've priced it at $249 and called it a day. The iPad is overpriced and needs some serious competition; Android alone doesn't cut it.

I wouldnt have bought it at $250

Leona Lewis said:
So I've been using this thing for a few days and I love it. But since I'm new to tablets, there's one thing I can't get used to - the keyboard.

How do you guys type? Portrait and treat it like an oversized Blackberry, or landscape and attempt to type the way we all grew up learning it? I can't find a comfortable typing style because the screen is so sensitive that I can't rest my palm, forcing me to awkwardly hunt and peck.
I've found that having a case with a stand makes typing sooo much easier.

Diablos said:

I don't think Android will make any headway at all against the iPad. The only hope is Windows 8 because it will be a full-featured OS with compatibility for Windows 7 software, so it'll have a respectable "app" catalog from the outset.

numble

Diablos said:

They can't price it at $249. It cost about $300 just for the parts, not including labor, shipping, marketing, cost of developing OS, cut they need to give to retailers, etc.

numble said:
They can't price it at $249. It cost about $300 just for the parts, not including labor, shipping, marketing, cost of developing OS, cut they need to give to retailers, etc.
well.. that strategy works for game consoles, doesn't it?

Noshino

Im looking for a good case, the HP one is currently $30 on Amazon, but I dont know if it can be found elsewhere for less....or if there is a cheaper better alternative

Karish said:
Writing this from the touchpad now. As a long time Pre user, I knew I would feel this way, but hot damn am I loving this thing! The interface shits on ios.

that's not hard to accomplish at all

Top Bottom