• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

numble

onlyindreams said:
well.. that strategy works for game consoles, doesn't it?
They make $5-10 per $60 third party game sale, And probably $20-30 on first party titles. And they make money off of video and game downloads.

With tablets, you might get 30% of 99¢-4.99 app sales, you need to sell $333 worth of apps just to get $100 back, not including the cost to maintain an app store (server costs, 2-3% cut to credit card companies, staff, etc.). If you're running Android, you can't even try to get that, since you don't run the Android Market--all those revenues go to Google. If they are free apps that are ad-based, that money will probably go to Google too (since they own AdMob).

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Well, I will be a Touchpad owner as of the 5th of September.

I bought mine via Comet (UK), 3115 and tried to get a delivery for today. Alas I received a phone call from them telling me that the payment didn't go through properly and I would have to pay over the phone and wait until September 5th to get it. Personally I think they just used that as a way to try to reduce the amount of orders by weeding out those who may not have used proper phone numbers etc but I care little.

I will be tracking this thread and will update with personal experience of the device. £115 for a 32GB high end tablet (No matter how doomed it is) is a bargain I didn't want to miss out on and I will easily justify it by using it as a productivity tool at work.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Diablos said:
The iPad is overpriced and needs some serious competition
No, it isn't. If it was, how come no one can come close to it?

The Kindle app has been updated.

The landscape reading bug had been fixed and the page animations has been improved so that the page follows your finger as you turn a page.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
broadwayrock said:
The Kindle app has been updated.

The landscape reading bug had been fixed and the page animations has been improved so that the page follows your finger as you turn a page.

Crazy question... but where the F is the kindle App? Could not see it in the preware store or the normal store, is it one you need to download seperatly?

HolyCheck said:
Crazy question... but where the F is the kindle App? Could not see it in the preware store or the normal store, is it one you need to download seperatly?

Huh, that is odd. It was a pre-installed application for me?

(Just checked again. It's in the list of Apps. Cannot be uninstalled even.)

Bboy AJ said:
No, it isn't. If it was, how come no one can come close to it?

this is a bad argument. Macbooks are ALSO horrendously overpriced compared to the competition (you can get a better specced laptop for much less) but apple can charge a premium because of great marketing, brand recognition, and a monopoly on their os and ecosystem.

For a long time Sony was getting away with the same thing on their consumer electronics.

Blackhead

Redarse
numble said:
They make $5-10 per $60 third party game sale, And probably $20-30 on first party titles. And they make money off of video and game downloads.

With tablets, you might get 30% of 99¢-4.99 app sales, you need to sell $333 worth of apps just to get $100 back, not including the cost to maintain an app store (server costs, 2-3% cut to credit card companies, staff, etc.). If you're running Android, you can't even try to get that, since you don't run the Android Market--all those revenues go to Google. If they are free apps that are ad-based, that money will probably go to Google too (since they own AdMob).
im still not seeing the compelling parts of your argument. Microsoft lost $4 billion dollars in the first four years of the XBox in a bid to break into the videogame industry. Up until 09, the hardware was still losing money. HP on the other hand estimated that they would sink $5 billion by 2014 before seeinf returns on webOS. They could afford it—they spent 10 billion on that Autonomy company.The rewards of gaining a foothold in the nascent 'post-pc' market would be huge, billions of dollars more than they sunk in. I think the risks of taking a loss now and reaping the benefits would have been worth it. HP obviously felt that, despite being the biggest PC company in the world, they couldnt execute. It's a shame really that they didn't give webOS a chance.

How do you turn a bookmark into a shortcut in the launcher? I'm really struggling with the "intuitiveness" of webOS. I could pretty much figure out how to "do" everything on both an iPone and andriod phone, but but with webOS I've had to google even the most basic functions. Swipe up to reduce the window...Swiping down should reduce it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Manmademan said:
this is a bad argument. Macbooks are ALSO horrendously overpriced compared to the competition (you can get a better specced laptop for much less) but apple can charge a premium because of great marketing, brand recognition, and a monopoly on their os and ecosystem.

For a long time Sony was getting away with the same thing on their consumer electronics.
There aren't any tablets that can beat the iPad in quality and price. That goes double for five or so months ago.

Why are you bringing MacBooks into this discussion?

BrettWeir

I have 2 of the 16 gigs coming and have a couple questions.

Using the mini USB, can you connect an external HDD? I know about the 50 gig of cloud storage, but mainly getting them for my kids to use on a long airline trip so want to load as many movies as possible on it.

Piggybacking on the first question, is it possible to have movies in different formats (DIVX, etc) so the files aren't so damn big? If that is possible, the external HDD wont even be an issue.

Blackhead

Redarse
Bboy AJ said:
There aren't any tablets that can beat the iPad in quality and price. That goes double for five or so months ago.

id say the asus transformer is close enough in quality and beats the ipad on price. of course the ipad ecosystem is still way ahead and that's the advantage of launching a year earlier

sidenote: its a sign of how far sony has fallen that they arent even thought of as a possible candidate to buy webOS

Manmademan said:

I love when people boil down tech to specs when comparing prices and completely ignore everything else about the physical hardware.

numble

Greyface said:
im still not seeing the compelling parts of your argument. Microsoft lost $4 billion dollars in the first four years of the XBox in a bid to break into the videogame industry. Up until 09, the hardware was still losing money. HP on the other hand estimated that they would sink $5 billion by 2014 before seeinf returns on webOS. They could afford it—they spent 10 billion on that Autonomy company.The rewards of gaining a foothold in the nascent 'post-pc' market would be huge, billions of dollars more than they sunk in. I think the risks of taking a loss now and reaping the benefits would have been worth it. HP obviously felt that, despite being the biggest PC company in the world, they couldnt execute. It's a shame really that they didn't give webOS a chance.
Where do you see HP with the cash on hand? They're spending 10.2 billion on Autonomy and only had about 12.7 billion cash and short term equivalents as of March or so. They already lose 2.2 billion over the last year on webOS--they would br bleeding money to keep making and selling Touchpads at a loss. They want to sell their whole consumer PC division because of its low margin situation--why would they want to enter the lower margin business?

HP is not MS with money to throw around, and the tablet market has not demonstrated itself to be a high margin business at $399 and less.

DSFan1970

This OS is quite charming. The initial learning curve, given I have an IPad, was there at first, but quickly overcome. Their are a lot of nice touches, like the notifications , that lead me to believe future iterations of the software would have perfected it. Love the calendar too. Sound is great. Sure it's not the most responsive, but I can deal for 99. Hopefully someone perfects the WebOS rather than just slap android on it. Also factoring into this I have a small fascination with dead hardware (like dreamcast )...

LordCanti

DSFan1970 said:
This OS is quite charming. The initial learning curve, given I have an IPad, was there at first, but quickly overcome. Their are a lot of nice touches, like the notifications , that lead me to believe future iterations of the software would have perfected it. Love the calendar too. Sound is great. Sure it's not the most responsive, but I can deal for 99. Hopefully someone perfects the WebOS rather than just slap android on it. Also factoring into this I have a small fascination with dead hardware (like dreamcast )...

Do all of the recommended speed tweaks, and the responsiveness should improve greatly. The first OTA patch was a great improvement, but the speed patches took my touchpad to 11.

Joe said:
is there any way to install preware without a pc?

I don't believe so. It's a pretty painless process to install it with a computer though... You'd only need access to the computer for about five minutes (you could do it on a friends or something if you don't have one).

Now, I see what others mean by the caching issue in the browser. Also, the Facebook and Kindle, though they had icons, had to be installed from the store. Also, why is Kindle referred to as a beta app?

And someone just has to make a custom Web is kernel and GUI to run on this hardware. Just not sure if there is any motivation.

Ugh! My touchpad won't charge or connect to a PC for some reason. It was working grand earlier but now that I want to charge it, when I plug in the mini USB, nothing comes up and govnah says that there's no power coming in. Anyone know what to do?

Maybe it's the USB to mini USB cable. it could also be that you're not seating it completely. I have issues charging it sometimes.

Also, the touchpad I bought for my girlfriend has a really depressed home button. But she seems fine with it.

I was finally able to get my TP to power back on using the power and center buttons at the same time

RobertM said:
Clearly you're not following directions. I followed these directions and it worked without a problem (also get the latest webOS doctor):

Mine was half charged when I ran the webOS doctor. Direct link to the latest webOS doctor: http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/touchpad/p302r0d08012011/wifip302rod/webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi.jar

Clearly I'm not following directions? I tried booting the tablet using your steps, but nothing happened, it booted into the normal UI. Only after that, the power button could not be used to power down the device; it could only lock the screen. From there I had to do a hard reset to restart the device and then I could power it off. I then tried booting with the volume button held, and not a damn thing still happened. Clearly this thing is a glitched out POS like I've been saying since day 1 when I first powered on the device and it took me to a diagnostic/service mode instead of the normal interface.

If you have to boot to a special boot mode for the webOS doctor to work, perhaps the webOS doctor setup procedure should mention that instead of saying to just plug the damn thing into your PC like you normally would.

gate777

^
There's 2 ways to hardware shut off/reset the touchpad.

1. Press and Hold power and centre buttons simultaneously for around 10 seconds to reset the device.
2. Press and Hold the power button and repeatedly tap the centre button to shut down the touchpad completely.

In the case of webOS doctor not recognizing it, do step 2 and then plug in the USB cable to the touchpad. While plugged in, press and hold the volume up button and only the volume button, do not boot the device; this forces the touchpad into USB mode for connecting to a computer.

gkryhewy

I keep getting an installation failure when I try to download the install the first piece of preware-related software on my macbook air (WebOSQuickInstall v4.2.3.jar). I think it's the novacom drivers that are failing to install, whatever they are. Has anyone else encountered an issue like this?

Apath

So am I the only one that finds Machinarium completely unplayable? Every time I try to make the little robot taller, the entire app just moved with my finger instead of just the robot.

gkryhewy said:
I keep getting an installation failure when I try to download the install the first piece of preware-related software on my macbook air (WebOSQuickInstall v4.2.3.jar). I think it's the novacom drivers that are failing to install, whatever they are. Has anyone else encountered an issue like this?
i did for a couple of them, when i went back and tried them again they worked fine. just give it a few goes.

Godslay

Banned
Kenak said:
So am I the only one that finds Machinarium completely unplayable? Every time I try to make the little robot taller, the entire app just moved with my finger instead of just the robot.

I've been playing it for awhile now, and to perform certain actions you have to double tap and then stretch. It's a little tricky at first. I believe the double tap on the screen locks it in place. I'm really enjoying having this portable and it looks great as well!

Cruzader

Banned
Wtf i can't download the new patch for webOS!

I give up. Been trying since yesterday but it won't do shit. After I download and apparently finish the download, it just says you are uptodate on top. Doesn't install or reboot. Every time.

Is there any other to do this? It's not my wifi connection so yeah the servers may be getting slammed but doesn't explain why I can't install the patch once it's done. Want to do this so I can Install preware god damn it.

Ps: can't log into the mobile neogaf site via TP browser, ideas?

Edit : also once I download the patch and finish, if I close the tab and reopen, it tells me to dl the update again and the cycle continues. That's my issue.

Apath

Godslay said:
I've been playing it for awhile now, and to perform certain actions you have to double tap and then stretch. It's a little tricky at first. I believe the double tap on the screen locks it in place. I'm really enjoying having this portable and it looks great as well!
Woot, that worked perfectly. Thanks for the quick reply! (so now I can play it at work :D)

LordCanti

Cruzader said:

I give up. Been trying since yesterday but it won't do shit. After I download and apparently finish the download, it just says you are uptodate on top. Doesn't install or reboot. Every time.

Is there any other to do this? It's not my wifi connection so yeah the servers may be getting slammed but doesn't explain why I can't install the patch once it's done. Want to do this so I can Install preware god damn it.

I had to keep clicking the update button. Every time, it would make a little bit of progress, until finally it finished. We're talking...ten times..maybe. Once I got to "unpacking" I had to "update" three or four more times to make it finally install.

Something is obviously goofy with their servers right now, unless the update system is just outright broken.

gkryhewy

Cruzader said:

Edit : also once I download the patch and finish, if I close the tab and reopen, it tells me to dl the update again and the cycle continues. That's my issue.

HP's update infrastructure blows. They are overloaded. The only way I got it to work was to update it at 6am EST, and I still had to try a few times.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Kyon said:
Can you upload videos from a camera and edit them on this?

I don't think there are any apps available in the catalog that can do that.

On a side note I wished HP would separate the phone apps and the touchpad apps.

I know I will get some hate for this but after playing around with the touchpad for a few days I've come to appreciate the overall experience of the ipad 2 even more. Basic web browsing, downloading updates, downloading apps among other things I've taken for granted on the ipad so when I started to use the touchpad I've noticed the small and big things the ipad does better. The touchpad does have an awesome notification system, that is one thing it has over the ipad.

LordCanti

Anyone know of an app that will let me use the tablet as a secondary screen for my PC? I know the iPad has such a thing, but I can't find anything like it in the app store or on preware. I know I could set up a full VNC, but I'm not sure if I'm ready for that hassle.

This thing has been great for reading Kindle books, and couch surfing. It'd be nice if I could control my PC from the couch with it as well (if only Teamviewer had a WebOS app).

bob page

neojubei said:
I don't think there are any apps available in the catalog that can do that.

On a side note I wished HP would separate the phone apps and the touchpad apps.

I know I will get some hate for this but after playing around with the touchpad for a few days I've come to appreciate the overall experience of the ipad 2 even more. Basic web browsing, downloading updates, downloading apps among other things I've taken for granted on the ipad so when I started to use the touchpad I've noticed the small and big things the ipad does better. The touchpad does have an awesome notification system, that is one thing it has over the ipad.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. The webOS looks prettier on the surface but I'm finding that everything (including simple tasks like changing settings) takes 1+ steps more than the iPad. It's a solid start, but you can really tell that it's not complete yet.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Cruzader said:

I had the same problem. The solution: never move away from the update screen, and keep resuming the download every time it stops. Took be about an hour but it works.

LordCanti

chubigans said:
I had the same problem. The solution: never move away from the update screen, and keep resuming the download every time it stops. Took be about an hour but it works.

Yep.

Honestly, I can see the beginnings of a great tablet in the touchpad. HP just didn't give it enough time to grow.

It's stunning for $99-$150 though. Hopefully android will get ported to it, and there will be a lot more available apps to choose from.

For now though, I'm very happy with it as an E-reader, and couch browsing device. The browsing is much better after the OTA patch, and the preware patches.

Downhome

I'm having a problem with Hulu and various other streaming sites. It tends to freeze every now and then, and if I pause and let it sit for a while when I press play it remains frozen even though I can hear the audio, and it only kicks back in by hitting the timeline at a different point.

Stuff like YouTube is pretty much flawless though.

eastmen

Banned
Bboy AJ said:

msi windpad 110w , acer iconia w500 are both solid tablets which i would take over the ipad any day of the week. The only negative for these two tablets are battery life , but not using a phone os puts them ahead in my opinion.

Of course you know what they say about opinions.

Top Bottom