• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

eastmen

Banned
neojubei said:
I don't think there are any apps available in the catalog that can do that.

On a side note I wished HP would separate the phone apps and the touchpad apps.

I know I will get some hate for this but after playing around with the touchpad for a few days I've come to appreciate the overall experience of the ipad 2 even more. Basic web browsing, downloading updates, downloading apps among other things I've taken for granted on the ipad so when I started to use the touchpad I've noticed the small and big things the ipad does better. The touchpad does have an awesome notification system, that is one thing it has over the ipad.

what do you expect , apple has had a tablet on the market for over a year to almost a year and a half at this point , the touchpad was only on the market for 49 days.

I also don't see much of a diffrence between downloading updates on on the ipad and on the touchpad both were fast and easy to do. Infact the touchpad poped up notifications of updates in the upper right corner so I know when to do updates.

As for web browsing , last night was great my gf and i watched the new video at swtor . The ipad 2 wont even load up the complete page for me.

The ipad has many advantages over the touch pad , but they mostly come from the life cycle of the ipad vs that of the touch pad.

gkryhewy

Okay, I finally was able to make nearly all of the tweaks suggested in the OP, plus UbetKernal with Govnah.

I can't seem to get the ##LOGS# thing to work -- when I load the phone app, I can't get a dialpad. Do I have to set up a skype account or tether a phone to make this tweak?

Also, the govnah overclocking to 1.5ghz makes a noticable difference, but the device seems to be running kinda warm after that. Is this a safe tweak, or should I go back to the default profile?

Vyer

eastmen said:
msi windpad 110w , acer iconia w500 are both solid tablets which i would take over the ipad any day of the week. The only negative for these two tablets are battery life , but not using a phone os puts them ahead in my opinion.

Of course you know what they say about opinions.

i have an iconia w500. As a touch tablet, even the Touchpad is better. Windows 7 is a great OS...but not a great touch tablet OS.

gate777

gkryhewy said:
Okay, I finally was able to make nearly all of the tweaks suggested in the OP, plus UbetKernal with Govnah.

I can't seem to get the ##LOGS# thing to work -- when I load the phone app, I can't get a dialpad. Do I have to set up a skype account or tether a phone to make this tweak?

Also, the govnah overclocking to 1.5ghz makes a noticable difference, but the device seems to be running kinda warm after that. Is this a safe tweak, or should I go back to the default profile?

To load the ##logs# you need to go to Device info; tap on the top left and select "custom application" and enter the code there

Vyer

gkryhewy said:

I went ahead and entered my Skype account to get to the dialer.

LordCanti

gkryhewy said:

I've been wondering about that ##LOGS## step as well, and I was wondering if that was meant for a pre instead of the touchpad. If anyone can clarify, that would be helpful.

As for the thing running warm, I don't think anyone has any idea what kind of thermals are safe for the device. Govnah is definitely an at-your-own-peril app.

eastmen

Banned
Vyer said:
i have an iconia w500. As a touch tablet, even the Touchpad is better. Windows 7 is a great OS...but not a great touch tablet OS.

Windows 7 is a much better tablet OS than IOS . I've used both alot. The proper tweaks to windows 7 makes it just fine , the problem normaly comes in with programs that are meant for a keyboard and mouse and not a pen/finger input .

I'll take windows 7 over any of the other tablets in my house and I have acess to the transformer , touchpad and ipad 2 .

eastmen

Banned
LordCanti said:
I've been wondering about that ##LOGS## step as well, and I was wondering if that was meant for a pre instead of the touchpad. If anyone can clarify, that would be helpful.

As for the thing running warm, I don't think anyone has any idea what kind of thermals are safe for the device. Govnah is definitely an at-your-own-peril app.

You need to make a skype account and then it works just fine.

As for it running warm , the device profile you pick for the overclock is on demand , sometimes my touch pad is only at 200mhz and then when i go to load a page or watch a video it will jump up to 1.5ghz for the duration of that activity . But when i'm just reading say neogaf with no loading it drops back to 200mhz . Its a little warmer but not much of a diffrence for me . govnah will show you thermals

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
LordCanti said:

Yeah, just sign in with your skype account and the dial pad should show up. Then you have to dial ##5647#

Well.. that's how I did it, heh

gate777

LordCanti said:

The LOGS option is meant for all webOS devices. It's meant to take a log of your device and email it to support for troubleshooting.

gkryhewy said:
Thanks! This worked.
You're welcome

LordCanti

gate777 said:
To load the ##logs# you need to go to Device info; tap on the top left and select "custom application" and enter the code there

That did it. Thank you. The guy that wrote the guide needs to add that.

tino

Banned
eastmen said:
Windows 7 is a much better tablet OS than IOS . I've used both alot. The proper tweaks to windows 7 makes it just fine , the problem normaly comes in with programs that are meant for a keyboard and mouse and not a pen/finger input .

I'll take windows 7 over any of the other tablets in my house and I have acess to the transformer , touchpad and ipad 2 .
Does Windows even have a proper finger based GPS software? IMO just about anything including wm6.5 is a better touch interface OS than w7. You can't downplay the importance of supported apps.

RobertM

Valkyr Junkie said:
I was finally able to get my TP to power back on using the power and center buttons at the same time

Clearly I'm not following directions? I tried booting the tablet using your steps, but nothing happened, it booted into the normal UI. Only after that, the power button could not be used to power down the device; it could only lock the screen. From there I had to do a hard reset to restart the device and then I could power it off. I then tried booting with the volume button held, and not a damn thing still happened. Clearly this thing is a glitched out POS like I've been saying since day 1 when I first powered on the device and it took me to a diagnostic/service mode instead of the normal interface.

If you have to boot to a special boot mode for the webOS doctor to work, perhaps the webOS doctor setup procedure should mention that instead of saying to just plug the damn thing into your PC like you normally would.
If it booted into UI, either didn't have the USB cable plugged into the touchpad (and only the touchpad) or something wrong with volume button, maybe both. Could be a glitch though, I won't deny that, but these steps worked for those who followed them. Try going into Developers Mode and see if those steps work.

eastmen

Banned
tino said:
Does Windows even have a proper finger based GPS software? IMO just about anything including wm6.5 is a better touch interface OS than w7. You can't downplay the importance of supported apps.
I'm not sure why i'd use a tablet as a gps ?

Does the ipad have acess to the last 20-30 years of pc gaming software , steam / dd/ origins . Can i play Portal 2 on the ipad ? Can i play wow on the ipad ?

Lets just throw out niche things like proper finger based gps software

Vyer

eastmen said:
Windows 7 is a much better tablet OS than IOS

Sorry, but no. As far as touchscreen tablets, not only just iOS but any of them. It's not meant for it. It's clumsy, awkward and inefficient.

At least, as far as the Iconia goes. It's pretty disappointing. I'll use it for work, mostly as a laptop in it's dock. For regular home use, I am even using this Touchpad more.

eastmen said:
the problem normaly comes in with programs that are meant for a keyboard and mouse and not a pen/finger input .

I wonder how many *Windows 7* programs this applies to then, eh?

In any case, to get back on topic: Did anyone ever get that damn Audubon Birds free program to install? I stopped bothering after about 7 tries.

kehs

Banned
tino said:

maps.google.com

Vyer

btw, for those that didn't know, the touchpad's screenshot ability is much like an idevice: press the 'home' and power buttons together.

dream

As an Instapaper client, Paper Mache is surprisingly inoffensive considering it's a webOS app. It actually has all the features that Instapaper for iPad has, presents text in a fairly attractive way, and the UI is uncharacteristically well-designed for a webOS app.

But, my god, the scrolling is just brutal. And not allowing tap to return to the top is just terrible.

Vyer said:
btw, for those that didn't know, the touchpad's screenshot ability is much like an idevice: press the 'home' and power buttons together.

That yellow orb effect is so hideous, yet so representative of webOS.

woohoo,

FCN2A.jpg

Contrary to its packaging the case is pretty shitty in terms look&feel (still, I shouldn't complain at 10€).
Haven't tried the keyboard yet, still contemplating whether I should keep it (at 25€).

Hmm.

/edit
Godslay said:
I was curious about this as well. How would it get input? Would you have to do a bluetooth keyboard?
Oh wow, I haven't even thought about it, hehe
It's just that V6 happens to be among my favorite flash based games :)

/edit2
typos

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
I am wondering, does everyone like the smooth back on these things?
I think I would prefer a more tactile feel, something with a little grip. It just feels like these are things I complain about in small cameras. Give me a better way to hold on it it.... I dunno.

itwasTuesday said:
I think I would prefer a more tactile feel, something with a little grip. It just feels like these are things I complain about in small cameras. Give me a better way to hold on it it.... I dunno.

I actually like the smooth back. My fingers sorta just stick to it.

Jeels

equap said:
anybody having trouble updating to 3.0.2 68???

it keeps saying "unable to connect. try again later."

Apparently its because their servers are getting hammered. At least that's what I read on another forum. I really want to update my touchpad so I can start the preware process. :/

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
equap said:
anybody having trouble updating to 3.0.2 68???

it keeps saying "unable to connect. try again later."

I had to run the update about 7-8 times before it went through. Good thing though is that is resumes.
On the final run that it did update I sat with it and moved my finger over it just to keep it from going to sleep, no idea if that helped or not. But I did it. I left once it installed and did the reboot for 20 minutes thing though, that produced no problems finishing.

Joe211

Phantast2k said:
woohoo,

FCN2A.jpg

Contrary to its packaging the case is pretty shitty in terms look&feel (still, I shouldn't complain at 10€).
Haven't tried the keyboard yet, still contemplating whether I should keep it (at 25€).
"woohoo," really? You don't like the case and you might sell the keyboard why are you happy then?

equap

Banned
Jeels said:
Apparently its because their servers are getting hammered. At least that's what I read on another forum. I really want to update my touchpad so I can start the preware process. :/
right. i'm doing it for the same reason.

I do like this touchpad thing though. who wouldn't like it for that price? lol

Jeels

itwasTuesday said:
I had to run the update about 7-8 times before it went through. Good thing though is that is resumes.
On the final run that it did update I sat with it and moved my finger over it just to keep it from going to sleep, no idea if that helped or not. But I did it. I left once it installed and did the reboot for 20 minutes thing though, that produced no problems finishing.

My main problem is it unpacking. It resumes for the downloading stage, but if the unpacking doesn't go through, you have to start over. :/

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Man, this thing feels so cheap...

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
It helps to read the thread, guys... The issues with updating have been mentioned on nearly every page.

For what its worth, it's definitely HP's servers getting hammered. I bought a touchpad on launch day and applied the update before the price got crazy low and it went perfectly without a hitch the very first time.

itwasTuesday said:

I'm with you on that. After playing a little bit with it, and then going to bed and grabbing the Kindle, I noticed right away how nice the Kindle's back felt in comparison and wished the TPad had the same back.

Joe211 said:
"woohoo," really? You don't like the case and you might sell the keyboard why are you happy then?
Because the case is good enough for 10€ and because I managed to find one at a brick & mortar store. They're worth 3-4 times as much online (here in Germany)..
The keyboard is worth 2x as much. Probably gonna keep it though.

Hence: woohoo.

Jeels

After the update goes through, is there a reason why the touchpad is just sitting at the HP logo at start up...

Zutroy

Wow, after applying all the patches and fixes on the link in the OP, the difference in speed is amazing. It also shows just how customisable this thing is.

Although I would still easily pick my iPad2 over this, I'm starting to realise how good it would be to have flash available on the iPad.

I can't believe how much of a steal it is for the price.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Jeels said:
Well, you did buy it cheap.
But it wasn't released at $100. Quality wise, it is a piece of garbage and anyone who bought it at full retail got owned. Going back to it after using my iPad is mind blowing. The internet is going gaga over it because it's $100 and that's it.

Put webOS on the iPad with the ability to use iOS apps and I'd be a very happy person. Wishful thinking.

Top Bottom