• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Gah, my mom's had her first hiccup with the device. She does these totally useless Internet surveys that send her like $20 a month. She doesn't need the money, yet is addicted to these incredibly long and detailed surveys.

One of them, which was in Flash, had a series of questions that you would answer by adjusting a slider on a scale from 0% to 100%. But instead of detecting her tap and swipe left or right as adjusting the slider, the Touchpad just detects it as if it were scrolling the whole page left or right. So she can't do the survey.

It's basically impossible to explain to someone who just wants everything to "work" that the web simply hasn't caught up with new technology, and that it's not the Touchpad's fault. Way to make me feel bad about my gift to you :-(

Jeels said:
It's been on the hp logo for way over twenty minutes. What do I do now.

Edit: Won't even shut off.

Have you tried holding both the bottom and top button? When I was unable to use the top button to shut down my touchpad, holding both for a while seemed to work.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Updating does help but the device doesn't open up it's full potential until you unlock the homebrew stuff. Got Hulu working, browser loads nearly 2x as fast, typing and clicking is a lot more responsive etc. The homebrew scene on this device is already solid as hell, can't wait to see what happens with more touchpads out there.

Joe

me and my brother are trying out Skype on this and all I hear is nothing but a static mess...

where is the mic on this thing? And is there any way to test it?

I tried everything to get myself one of these :( Even my uncle in the USA couldn't get me one :( I really want one, any suggestions? Or are they all gone by now.. I'm from Europe (Holland)..

nataku

Joe said:
me and my brother are trying out Skype on this and all I hear is nothing but a static mess...

where is the mic on this thing? And is there any way to test it?

I think the mic is at the top, along the edge in the middle between the power button and headphone port.

As for testing. Settings menu > Device Info > Upper left menu ("Device Info") > Diagnostics > Audio

Cruzader

Banned
equap said:
anybody having trouble updating to 3.0.2 68???

it keeps saying "unable to connect. try again later."
Took me hours to get it to update. Just keep doing it. It will say that you are up to date but then if you close the tab, and re open it, the process will begin again. It's ok just redo it until you get the package installation bar going. That also times out oddly but keep the process going by pressing the download button.

Now if my brother could get off the pc, I can begin installing preware.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
If you have a gaf account and browse gaf with the touchpad, I highly recommend logging in. You could go to the settings and change the font size to 130% which makes reading alot more easier on the touchpad

LQX

SteveO409 said:
If you have a gaf account and browse gaf with the touchpad, I highly recommend logging in. You could go to the settings and change the font size to 130% which makes reading alot more easier on the touchpad
You cant pinch zoom to make the screen bigger like the iPad?

Joe

nataku said:
I think the mic is at the top, along the edge in the middle between the power button and headphone port.

As for testing. Settings menu > Device Info > Upper left menu ("Device Info") > Diagnostics > Audio
thanks a lot! :)

Noshino

Any recommendations when it comes to the cases? I want a solid one :C

Cruzader said:
Took me hours to get it to update. Just keep doing it. It will say that you are up to date but then if you close the tab, and re open it, the process will begin again. It's ok just redo it until you get the package installation bar going. That also times out oddly but keep the process going by pressing the download button.

Now if my brother could get off the pc, I can begin installing preware.

Why are you waiting? just kick him out

nataku

The more I use this thing the more frustrated I get with the long 5-10 seconds complete freezes when using apps (any random app). I could be doing nothing at all, just reading a website, and when I go to scroll more or tap or something I get no response at all. I could tap the screen a dozen times and get no response. It's like there was some huge burst of CPU activity that just completely overwhelmed the thing.

That Android port really can't get here soon enough...

gate777 said:
In the case of webOS doctor not recognizing it, do step 2 and then plug in the USB cable to the touchpad. While plugged in, press and hold the volume up button and only the volume button, do not boot the device; this forces the touchpad into USB mode for connecting to a computer.

No dice. Holding the volume button when booting does not force the TP into USB mode. I can put it into USB mode from within the OS, but webOS doctor still doesn't recognize it.

edit: Wow, literally on the 5th attempt of trying the exact same thing the damn thing booted into USB mode.

Argyle

nataku said:
The more I use this thing the more frustrated I get with the long 5-10 seconds complete freezes when using apps (any random app). I could be doing nothing at all, just reading a website, and when I go to scroll more or tap or something I get no response at all. I could tap the screen a dozen times and get no response. It's like there was some huge burst of CPU activity that just completely overwhelmed the thing.

That Android port really can't get here soon enough...
Might be worth trying the F-15C kernel in the testing feed, I did see what you are talking about occasionally, but I haven't noticed it in a long time since I switched kernels. Could be simply the overclock (running 1.7GHz) but the new kernel also has tweaks to scheduling and power management on the second core, so maybe it will help....

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
just installed prepare, quake runs so smooth, if only you could play it. Posting
from the touchpad, you seem to always have to hit the refresh to see the updated page. Just hiting off-topic pulls in the cached page.

I3rand0

Still trying to get this 3.0.2 68 update but it only goes so far on the status bar, and then restarts back to zero again. Is this normal?

Android Port for Touchpad Progresses with Custom Recovery https://twitter.com/#!/BriefMobile#touchdroid

IMG_20110827_182506-550x412.jpg
https://twitter.com/#!/BriefMobile

Malo

Banned
Finally got preware installed and did all the speed tweaks plus over-clocking it to 1.5ghz. This thing feels a whole lot faster :D

giga

I might be able to keep my sanity if I could change the browser's user agent to the iPad's. Flash interface controls on a touch screen are horrendous.

Joe

can anyone help me think of a way to upload saved photos from my touchpad to an image host for posting on forums and facebook?

I've tried messing with the box.net app but it doesn't seem to allow me to get a direct .jpg link

I'm ok with jumping through a few hoops to make it happen

dream

You can get a public link from box.net. Just click the share button.

I'm still annoyed that HP added Dropbox support in HP Synergy but didn't give us a client to take advantage of it.

Joe

dream said:
You can get a public link from box.net. Just click the share button.

I'm still annoyed that HP added Dropbox support in HP Synergy but didn't give us a client to take advantage of it.
thanks for the response :) on the web the share links on my files are dimmed out and are not clickable and as far as the app goes, the share button only loads up an email with an obscure, indirect link.

dream

Joe said:
thanks for the response :) on the web the share links on my files are dimmed out and are not clickable and as far as the app goes, the share button only loads up an email with an obscure, indirect link.

That's really weird. What happens you mouseover the box with the little down arrow to the right of the file?

Joe

sorry I have no access to a pc just the touchpad, maybe that's the problem?

I want to save a photo from the net and rehost it for posting purposes all on the touchpad.

Cruzader

Banned
Noshino said:
Any recommendations when it comes to the cases? I want a solid one :C

Why are you waiting? just kick him out
lol he got off shortly after I posted . Got my pad all prewared .

could someone link me the 1.5ghz overclock mod please. Hope its easy like the preware mods.

Chesskid1

Banned
do you guys leave auto-dim on or off? you can find it under settings then screen or something like that.

it made the screen very bright i've noticed. what do you guys think?

Malo

Banned
Cruzader said:

could someone link me the 1.5ghz overclock mod please. Hope its easy like the preware mods.
Install uberkernel from preware and govnah.

Krakatoa

Cruzader said:

its in preware...search for govnah first. Install that. Then go back into prepare and search for uberkernel and install.

then you can use govnah to change settings.

Joe said:
can anyone help me think of a way to upload saved photos from my touchpad to an image host for posting on forums and facebook?

I've tried messing with the box.net app but it doesn't seem to allow me to get a direct .jpg link

I'm ok with jumping through a few hoops to make it happen

You can use the facebook app to upload them to facebook directly.

Joe said:
sorry I have no access to a pc just the touchpad, maybe that's the problem?

I want to save a photo from the net and rehost it for posting purposes all on the touchpad.

If you touch and hold an image, it should give you an option to save it.Then you can upload that image to facebook via the facebook app.

Joe

thanks guys that's some god thinking. Facebook.com is terrible on the touchpad.

I also found a free app called "uplood lite". Its not pretty but its easy and even copies the http link to your clipboard at the end.

J-Rod

I love mine. I have a Pre, so I'm already a fan of the WebOS interface. I'm happy I don't have to use synching software and how neither hp or palm has ever cared if you root it.

It bugs me how it seems to lose focus on a flash object for no reason, though. I wish there was a fix for that.

I3rand0 said:
Finished installing Preware and doing the tweaks. Where's the guide for overclocking? I didn't see it in the OP.

Download the Uberkernal and Govnah from Preware. Run Govnah and select one of the preconfigured profiles or make you own.

And yeah, the OP desperately needs an update with this info, the manual install of 3.0.2, and a bunch of other helpful stuff.

J-Rod

FleaTheMagician said:
Does anyone know of a way to load non amazon.com ebooks into the Kindle app, or an alternative ebook app?

Try pReader alpha. I don't use ebooks, but I know it's an alternative.

Top Bottom