• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

dream

Be prepared to hate preader. It's by far the worst ebook app I've ever used. and by that I mean it barely even works.

I3rand0

J-Rod said:
I love mine. I have a Pre, so I'm already a fan of the WebOS interface. I'm happy I don't have to use synching software and how neither hp or palm has ever cared if you root it.

It bugs me how it seems to lose focus on a flash object for no reason, though. I wish there was a fix for that.

Download the Uberkernal and Govnah from Preware. Run Govnah and select one of the preconfigured profiles or make you own.

And yeah, the OP desperately needs an update with this info, the manual install of 3.0.2, and a bunch of other helpful stuff.

Thanks for the instructions. One last question is how do I overclock it over 1.5 Ghz?

J-Rod

I3rand0 said:
Thanks for the instructions. One last question is how do I overclock it over 1.5 Ghz?

Np. Here is a good guide:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1230912

Your options on speeds depends on the kernal, so you'll have to download and install a different kernal than uberkernal. Before installing another one, you want to remove uberkernal. You don't want to have two kernals installed at once. The others are not in any of the default preware feeds, so you'll have to add them. To do that, open preware and click the menu bar labeled preware in the top left. Tap manage feeds, and at the bottom fill in the url and give it a name. Add:
http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-internals/testing/all
http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-internals/testing/armv7
http://preware.is.awesome.com/

Download the kernal you want, and it's the usual process from Govnah from there.

thirty

Banned
So what's the best cheap case for this thing? Been trying to find the official for 19.99 but keep missing it by minutes at various stores.

Cruzader

Banned
ok I think I over clocked mine to 17ghz. Under govnah I only see 1 core @ 1.7 and sometimes the other one jumps up for a little. Ah we’ll see.

man I can't wait for Android to come to this thing. I mean webOS seems to simple for my taste. That and lack of software/apps and customization.

kehs

Banned
wtf dream.....I'm still using a hacked up cr-48, wtf?

also, I tried to stay away from this thread, but someone unintentionally goaded me into posting earlier.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Got mine overclocked now and it's superfast. I'm very impressed with what has amounted to a device much cheaper than my laptop and is far more convenient to carry around.

Zutroy

Leona Lewis said:
Gah, my mom's had her first hiccup with the device. She does these totally useless Internet surveys that send her like $20 a month. She doesn't need the money, yet is addicted to these incredibly long and detailed surveys.

One of them, which was in Flash, had a series of questions that you would answer by adjusting a slider on a scale from 0% to 100%. But instead of detecting her tap and swipe left or right as adjusting the slider, the Touchpad just detects it as if it were scrolling the whole page left or right. So she can't do the survey.

It's basically impossible to explain to someone who just wants everything to "work" that the web simply hasn't caught up with new technology, and that it's not the Touchpad's fault. Way to make me feel bad about my gift to you :-(
Double tapping on a flash object takes control of it. You get a message telling you this, and then whatever gestures you do is like using a mouse.

gokieks

Kagari said:
Got mine overclocked now and it's superfast. I'm very impressed with what has amounted to a device much cheaper than my laptop and is far more convenient to carry around.

The problem is that after overclocking it's actually quite responsive (usually), which makes the random hiccups where it literally offers no response to any touch inputs all the more maddening.

eastmen

Banned
gokieks said:
The problem is that after overclocking it's actually quite responsive (usually), which makes the random hiccups where it literally offers no response to any touch inputs all the more maddening.

I'm hoping when andriod gets ported they find a way to enable overclocking on this.

Or if andriod doesn't come , hp will hopefully put out a few more performance patches.

Eric C

Does Netflix have an email address? Maybe if they get enough requests they'll make an app for webOS?

I mean Netflix makes apps for every single blu-ray player, and some of those had to of sold less than the TouchPad.

Kyon

Banned
Yeah_its_Bob said:
BestBuy check the inventory and if it says "in store only" run to that bestbuy early in the morning and hope to get there before the line.

it says unavailable in all the cities of Washington State, FML

Is there any way to disable autocorrect? Since my Touchpad is set to French language (and I don't want to switch to English), whenever I write something in English it corrects every single word I type and it's annoying.

thaOwner

Computer said:
Is there any way to disable autocorrect? Since my Touchpad is set to French language (and I don't want to switch to English), whenever I write something in English it corrects every single word I type and it's annoying.
settings > text assist > auto correct off

So now whenever I go to some certain sites I get the tap to add as search engine thing on my screen. Is there a way to disable these altogether?

Which of these typefaces do you think looks more comfortable to read? I can't choose.

Gs3Oa.png
2BbVr.png

Fatalah

I have to say, with rumor Amazon will aggressively price their upcoming tablet, I have major buyer's remorse with my Touchpad. A dual core Android Tablet for $250-279? That's an insane value.

WebOS's app market is a ghost town. Coming from my Android phone, so much is missing here! Bah!

Fatalah said:
I have to say, with rumor Amazon will aggressively price their upcoming tablet, I have major buyer's remorse with my Touchpad. A dual core Android Tablet for $250-279? That's an insane value.

WebOS's app market is a ghost town. Coming from my Android phone, so much is missing here! Bah!
it begins.

Jo-El

Fatalah said:

Sell it now and hope for the best? I really like mine and don't really care about apps that much.

Fatalah said:

Android shouldn't take too long to come to the Touchpad. And in case you don't trust the Touchdroid team, I've read that the CyanogenMod team had managed to boot Android already (although they had yet to make the touchscreen work).

Just follow #touchdroid on Twitter and the Touchdroid IRC channel for recent news.

giga

Fatalah said:

Pipe dream unless it will be less than 10" or won't have a decent display panel.

Jo-El said:
Sell it now and hope for the best? I really like mine and don't really care about apps that much.
only because you've never had apps in the first place, then.

as the old adage says, "you never miss what you never had." As one who has Android and iOS devices, I will sell this sommbitch in a heartbeat if we don't see some sort of Android beta in the next 21 days. Period. Without apps to extend functionality, I have no use at all for the device. It's like getting a car that can only go 10mph. Sure, it'll get you places...eventually...and if it's all you can afford, what choice do you have, right? But wouldn't you rather have SatNav, GPS, Sirius, CD, AM/FM, voice activation, bluetooth, 135mph top speed, LCD screens built into the head rest, power seating, heads-up display, etc?

In my world, I need extended functionality or it can't get off the bench on my team.

tino

Banned
Fatalah said:

Just the free 50GB online storage itself worth $100.

Fatalah

Dreams-Visions said:

as the old adage says, "you never miss what you never had." As one who has Android and iOS devices, I will sell this sommbitch in a heartbeat if we don't see some sort of Android beta in the next 21 days. Period. Without apps to extend functionality, I have no use at all for the device. It's like getting a car that can only go 10mph. Sure, it'll get you places...eventually...and if it's all you can afford, what choice do you have, right? But wouldn't you rather have SatNav, GPS, Sirius, CD, AM/FM, voice activation, bluetooth, 135mph top speed, LCD screens built into the head rest, power seating, heads-up display, etc?

In my world, I need extended functionality or it can't get off the bench on my team.
This man speaks the truth.

tino

Banned
giga said:
Pipe dream unless it will be less than 10" or won't have a decent display panel.

Its doable. Netbook dropped from $500 in summer 2007 to $200 in 2010 took 3 years. I expect tablet get to that price point in about the same time.

1-D_FTW

giga said:

Well, if they feel the kindle marketplace and Kindle Special Offers are viable enough, it's possible they could sell them at near cost. If there's one company in the world it would make sense for, I suppose it would be amazon if they could get creative enough.

tino said:
Its doable. Netbook dropped from $500 in summer 2007 to $200 in 2010 took 3 years. I expect tablet get to that price point in about the same time.
Netbooks also used basically the same damn processor for 3 straight years and were FAR from high-performance.

Meanwhile, tablets are getting new CPU/GPU chips every 7-10 months. Don't expect tablet prices to sink like a stone anytime soon. And don't expect Amazon to release a 10" laptop with a good display AND performance equivalent to the competition for significantly less than the competition.

Jo-El

Dreams-Visions said:

I have an Android phone and used to have an iPod Touch. I don't miss apps.

3N16MA

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:

I use less apps on a tablet than I do on my iPhone mainly becuase I prefer games on the iPhone (portability). However something as simple as Air Video or good equivalent is really missed on the TP.

Computer said:
Which of these typefaces do you think looks more comfortable to read? I can't choose.

The top one is a sans-serif font, the bottom is serif. The conventional wisdom is that san-serif are easier to read on screen; serif on print.

There's probably a lot more to it than that. But the short answer is: Top one.

tino

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
Netbooks also used basically the same damn processor for 3 straight years and were FAR from high-performance.

Meanwhile, tablets are getting new CPU/GPU chips every 7-10 months. Don't expect tablet prices to sink like a stone anytime soon. And don't expect Amazon to release a 10" laptop with a good display AND performance equivalent to the competition for significantly less than the competition.
What are you talking about. The Atom chassis is more expensive than ARM. That's why google TV is moving to ARM. You can make an argument the 10" screen costs more however.

venne

Ericsc said:
Does Netflix have an email address? Maybe if they get enough requests they'll make an app for webOS?

I mean Netflix makes apps for every single blu-ray player, and some of those had to of sold less than the TouchPad.

Hit them on twitter:

http://twitter.com/#!/Netflixhelps

Top Bottom