• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

kehs

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
only because you've never had apps in the first place, then.

as the old adage says, "you never miss what you never had." As one who has Android and iOS devices, I will sell this sommbitch in a heartbeat if we don't see some sort of Android beta in the next 21 days. Period. Without apps to extend functionality, I have no use at all for the device. It's like getting a car that can only go 10mph. Sure, it'll get you places...eventually...and if it's all you can afford, what choice do you have, right? But wouldn't you rather have SatNav, GPS, Sirius, CD, AM/FM, voice activation, bluetooth, 135mph top speed, LCD screens built into the head rest, power seating, heads-up display, etc?

In my world, I need extended functionality or it can't get off the bench on my team.
Dibs...

Cruzader

Banned
Kagari said:
Got mine overclocked now and it's superfast. I'm very impressed with what has amounted to a device much cheaper than my laptop and is far more convenient to carry around.
hey could you check gonna and see if both cores are running overclocked? Mine only shows one core running at 1.7ghz the other one is idling . Maybe the second one doesn't kick in until you have tons of things running? I have that fc15c kernel running, not sure that helps and I did follow all the steps like adding the 3 feeds under preware etc.

Ecto311

watching mlg from mine right now this thing is great for this kind of thing especially with the official case keeping it tilted up just right

3N16MA

Banned
Just to make it clear the Kindle app does not accept side loaded ebooks right?. Also it would be great if MLB.TV worked on this. I watch Yankees games on my TV via the PS3 but it's nice to have other games going on multiple devices (Mac mini, iPhone 4). Adding a 4th screen via TP would make me feel like I'm in the bat cave (not really) OK sort of.

eastmen said:
I'm hoping when andriod gets ported they find a way to enable overclocking on this.

Or if andriod doesn't come , hp will hopefully put out a few more performance patches.

It won't need over clocking if a proper hardware accelerated Android port emerges, it should be faster than any current Honeycomb tab at stock.

CWM Recovery = ClowkworkMod Recovery. It's what you use to flash new ROMs on your Android smartphone.

clockworkmod-optimus2X1-270x240.jpg

ADB = Android Debug Bridge. I don't know what it does, I don't know shit about Linux.

dream

Paper Mache impresses me more and more. You can tell the developer loves iOS. I was complaining about how you can't tap on the top of the screen to return to the top of the page but I accidentally discovered you can do that with a pinch gesture. Between that and the iOS-esque scroll bar, Paper Mache is pretty much the first TouchPad app I've discovered that was actually developed with usability and good design principles in mind.

It's a shame it's hobbled by webOS' horrific scrolling, though.

Kolgar

So what's the recommendation for charging this thing? Don't overcharge? Leave charging in dock whenever not in use? Thanks.

Edit: Also, in Kindle, how the heck do I close a book and switch to another?

equap

Banned
SuperMalo said:
I have it overclocked to 1.5 ghz and was wondering if bumping it up to 1.7ghz is that big of a difference.
how did you oc it? i have Govnah installed but max clock is 1.2ghz

gokieks

equap said:
how did you oc it? i have Govnah installed but max clock is 1.2ghz

Make sure you've installed UberKernel, and that you've restarted the device entirely (not just Luna). Then in Govnah select Profile and you should see a new one ("OnDemandTcl 1512").

antonz

Been looking into all the drama touchdroid had. Starting to wonder. The 15 year old they said was the troublemaker has a pretty extensive background. Kid has iOS almost ported over to other tablets.

Works with MIT etc. Hes not some poser as they were trying to claim

Blackhead

Redarse
antonz said:
Been looking into all the drama touchdroid had. Starting to wonder. The 15 year old they said was the troublemaker has a pretty extensive background. Kid has iOS almost ported over to other tablets.

Works with MIT etc. Hes not some poser as they were trying to claim
? link please

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Those links in the 1st post helped. Thanks! I'm digging this thing for $123 bucks (32g).

Amazon instant video works, it's no Netflix though..

Argyle

dream said:
84u8qpccyc2ovk0nlgue.png

This thing keeps finding new ways to impress me...
It hates you as much as you hate it, you should sell it to someone who will appreciate it :)

(never seen that happen before, so I have nothing to suggest. Try a different computer?)

Chesskid1

Banned
hmm, do you guys think there is any reason to keep WebOS on the touchpad after a good android gets ported?

anyways, this is like the best value for $99 ever. i can't even think of a better deal i've gotten. really happy to snag one and really happy to try out android one day.

i never really had a smartphone/laptop so it's all new experience for me. :eek:

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Mine just arrived today.

For $99, this is an incredible value. In fact, I actually quite like the tablet. I've always been a fan of webOS, and I bought this for work primarily so apps and the like are not a concern. Email and browsing experience were priority, and this fits the bill quite well. Easily the best $100 I've ever spent.

dream

PS, I was copying comics to the thing and I have to reboot it again so that Comic Shelf HD recognizes the files. So that's 1 reboot to get USB drive mode working and another reboot to remount the volume properly.

This thing, I swear.

Godslay

Banned
Chesskid1 said:
hmm, do you guys think there is any reason to keep WebOS on the touchpad after a good android gets ported?

anyways, this is like the best value for $99 ever. i can't even think of a better deal i've gotten. really happy to snag one and really happy to try out android one day.

i never really had a smartphone/laptop so it's all new experience for me. :eek:

From what I've read some Android tablets lack the functionality of being able to make a skype video call (XOOM). The Skype integration on this tablet is great and runs silky smooth. If there is anything that would keep me on WebOS it would be this. Plus the homebrew community seems fairly active. If given the option I would most likely dual boot.

I'm still looking for a seller if you are looking for a buyer (I can only give price paid + shipping cost to me, sorry, i'm poor) but I really want this tablet for school.

SRG01

dream said:
PS, I was copying comics to the thing and I have to reboot it again so that Comic Shelf HD recognizes the files. So that's 1 reboot to get USB drive mode working and another reboot to remount the volume properly.

This thing, I swear.

Can't you close the program completely and relaunch it?

eastmen

Banned
BladeoftheImmortal said:
I'm still looking for a seller if you are looking for a buyer (I can only give price paid + shipping cost to me, sorry, i'm poor) but I really want this tablet for school.

what are you using it for school for ? Without decent pen support , like the ipad and andriod tablets its basicly useless

Top Bottom