• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Birbo

My wife was jazzed about this thing until it wouldn't play her Facebook games like Farmville. Am I missing something for this?

Overall I'm really enjoying this thing. Typing from it right now.

dream

SRG01 said:
Can't you close the program completely and relaunch it?

No, I don't think it has anything to do with the app. The way Jay Canuck explains it, there's a bug in webOS where the media volume isn't properly remounted after you kick this thing out of USB drive mode.

eastmen

Banned
Birbo said:
My wife was jazzed about this thing until it wouldn't play her Facebook games like Farmville. Am I missing something for this?

Overall I'm really enjoying this thing. Typing from it right now.

use the web browser to play the games not the program. Some things like bejeweled run to slow even overclocked to 1.5ghz

3N16MA

Banned
So I installed preware and downloaded the Kalemsoft Media Player beta. Is it as simple as drag and drop or do I have to do anything specific to get the beta on the TouchPad?

seb

Banned
Aruarian Reflection said:
preader alpha is reportedly leaps and bounds better
Oh wow, given that it's barely functionnal I can't imagine what that other one is like :(
Can you sideload epubs with the Kindle app ?

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Ok I found a decent way to add manga rar files with comicshelf HD.

1. Get the internalz app
2. Drag and drop whatever manga that are .rar format into the "comics" folder
3. unplug from USB and go to internalz. Look for the file and replace the .rar extension with .cbr
4. No need to restart the touchpad in order to have the comicshelf HD app recognize the file!

If you manually add .cbr at the end of the rar file in windows 7 then the touchpad will automatically add a .rar to it. It would look something like this "manga.rar.cbr.rar"

thirty

Banned
Is pressing the home button the only way to go back? If I'm in something and settings, having to go home then back into settings is annoying.

Kolgar

Anyone who's having trouble closing a book and switching a new one in the Kindle Beta app, press the "crease" in between the pages to bring up the menu, then tap the so-small-you-didn't-notice-them-before "book" icons at the top left.

Question: If I install Preware and activate some mods, will I run into any problems if/when HP releases one last official software update?

Thanks in advance.

Blackhead

Redarse
SteveO409 said:

1. Get the internalz app
3. unplug from USB and go to internalz. Look for the file and replace the .rar extension with .cbr
4. No need to restart the touchpad in order to have the comicshelf HD app recognize the file!

If you manually add .cbr at the end of the rar file in windows 7 then the touchpad will automatically add a .rar to it. It would look something like this "manga.rar.cbr.rar"
... this is not a fault of the Touchpad

Or is it? I'd believe any supposed bug at this point

Mission

SteveO409 said:

1. Get the internalz app

If this was the solution then the mouting issue can't be the problem since you couldn't change the file name unless the partition was mounted. Must be a bug in comicshelf.

I tried to use the kalemsoft media player on preware (I think it was the palm version) and tried to watch an Avi. Navigating was laggy and when I clicked the file, it was like looking through the eyes of a fly.

Malo

Banned
Chesskid1 said:
they now have hardware acceleration working in android :D
8JcuI.jpg

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
jobber said:
Having Android on there wasn't a 100% lock.
It was pretty high up there. Looking at the hardware specs and the lack of a locked bootloader it was going to happen sooner rather than later.

I know a lot of people who bought it hoping android would get ported.

Vyer

Getting actual support/development is the only reason I'd put Android on this, especially if it's anything less than HC. I am kinda liking WebOS in tablet form.

But knowing there would be no further improvement on it to iron out the kinks puts a damper on that.

LordCanti

WebOS is great, it just doesn't have the app support of Android or iOS. Specifically, I want an app that will use my touchpad as a secondary screen for my PC (or otherwise use the touchpad to control my PC, like Teamviewer or gotomypc).

I would never complain about the quality of something I got for 1/5th the regular price. Android will make it better though, and it's really the only path forward.

Chesskid1

Banned
6 more free apps

Big Boss (Fair Play Labs, $1.99, rlhul24446cnvjo): Design your “Boss” – a gigantic monster – and attempt to defeat the brave heroes and powerful wizards of WackyLands.

Camera for TouchPad (Keen Studios, $0.99, qnauu98845swgrt): Start snapping away, with options for managing your photos and using them with other TouchPad apps.

Angry Birds Rio HD (Rovio Mobile Ltd., $1.99, xsgsc06319eeqrk): The original Angry Birds are kidnapped and taken to Rio de Janeiro, where they eventually escape their captors and set out to save their friends, Blu and Jewel.

Quell HD (Fallen Tree Games, $1.99, urber52865hgtqc): A unique puzzler that is sure to test your brain with 70-plus levels of game play.

Pennant (Vargatron, $4.99, ltrns51564vabdu): Got historical pennant fever? Get the scoop on over 115,000 games with this interactive statistical treasure trove of baseball from 1952 to 2010.

FlightPredictor HD (gregstoll.com, $1.99, htukc87057kxshv): Powered by FlightCaster.com, you’ll get timely notifications before air travel glitches get in your way.

http://blog.palm.com/palm/2011/08/6-pack-sells-out-but-wait-theres-more.html

hurry! on slick deals so prolly won't last long.

Quell is awesome btw.

SRG01

chubigans said:
So if Android runs on the Touchpad, will the Touchpad wireless keyboard and touchstone still work with it?

Charging yes, since it's just inductive charging. However, I don't think it would be able to do the location-based capabilities of the touchstone (ie. identify if this touchpad is at work, in your bedroom, etc)

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
LordCanti said:
WebOS is great, it just doesn't have the app support of Android or iOS. Specifically, I want an app that will use my touchpad as a secondary screen for my PC (or otherwise use the touchpad to control my PC, like Teamviewer or gotomypc).

I would never complain about the quality of something I got for 1/5th the regular price. Android will make it better though, and it's really the only path forward.

It was a lot of us in the original Palm Pre thread that complained about the lack of apps since the first day. Then Palm did the ol' "iPhone didn't get an app store until a year after launch. Give it time" spiel. The OS is great, it was just nothing to do with it. I bailed the first chance I got and I never regretted it.

LordCanti said:
I want an app that will use my touchpad as a secondary screen for my PC (or otherwise use the touchpad to control my PC, like Teamviewer or gotomypc).

That's the one and only reason I ever contemplated getting an iPad; I want this for Touchpad.

J-Rod said:
There is the touchplayer app (free forever). The install on preware doesn't work though. You will have to manually download the ipk and install it through webos quickinstall. You can find the ipk in the creator's thread on precentral. I'd link it, but on a celly.

Does anyone have a link to touchplayer? I didn't see the creator's thread on precentral.

SRG01

LordCanti said:

You can do this with any VNC/RDP client, although it's more of a remote access tool that clones your desktop.

dream

See jobber, my problem with the "webOS is great" thing is it requires you to ignore the awful performance, the terrible SDKs (both Mojo and Enyo), the lack of hardware acceleration, etc...

dream said:
See jobber, my problem with the "webOS is great" thing is it requires you to ignore the awful performance, the terrible SDKs (both Mojo and Enyo), the lack of hardware acceleration, etc...

Exactly. I like the idea of the UI, but the execution is poor. Add in the lack of app choice, and I'm running Android the moment a stable rom is made.

dream said:

I used to like webOS on the original Pre. Over time and on significantly more powerful hardware, it began to show that Palm/HP have great concepts, but lack the development team to fully flesh out the webOS concept. With the TouchPad (speed patches, OC'd and all), it confirms this: it's slow as balls. On hardware that's comparable to the iPad 2. I bought it for curiosity's sake (already own and love an iPad 2) and now hope they release Honeycomb for it soon.

Maybe third time's a charm if it does pan out that Samsung wants to buy webOS.

dream

Man...I just don't know if I can take a third round of "apps don't matter when you have Flash/webOS multitasking is much better than Android and iOS multitasking because it's TRUE MULTITASKING~!/Palm and HP didn't have the money to execute but Samsung does/whatever other mantras the Pretards clung to"

danootz

TehOh said:
What are some good cases for the TouchPad? The official one seems to be sold out everywhere.

I just got my official HP Touchpad case and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed in the quality. I'm guessing they were going for a lightweight feel, but dang these thing feels like it cost 3$ at the most to make. I just wanted a case that could handle standing positions and the ones I saw on Amazon looked cheap and sort of tacky so I decided to go with the official one.

Unfortunately I didn't bring the TP in with me to work today so not only can I not test this case out fully, but I'm missing out on the free apps HP is giving out. Those bahstids said early September would be the new pack release, not immediate end of August.

Back to the case quick, I swear, I don't know how well it's going to hold the stand positions, I'm guessing it's relying on the weight of the TP being locked in place to properly make the case take form, but in it's flimsy form, I can't imagine it being solid enough to even hold the thing up.

Top Bottom