• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Fox Mulder

danootz said:
Unfortunately I didn't bring the TP in with me to work today so not only can I not test this case out fully, but I'm missing out on the free apps HP is giving out. Those bahstids said early September would be the new pack release, not immediate end of August.

yeah, free apps are great, but it's an odd move to release the codes on a monday afternoon. I was off work today anyways, and two of the apps were in the last pack, so I only got angry birds and quell.

Jo-El

bkfount said:
yeah, free apps are great, but it's an odd move to release the codes on a monday afternoon. I was off work today anyways, and two of the apps were in the last pack, so I only got angry birds and quell.
Those were the only two worth getting anyways IMO

So i just got confirmation from Best Buy Canada that they are shipping the 32GB version i ordered the day they slashed the price yay!!

What is the best vnc/remote desktop app for it? If i can get it to do this, i will be very happy, thanks.

danootz

bkfount said:

I used to have a Pre and when I logged into my webOS acct on the TP it was a pleasant surprise to see the existing apps I bought on it. I decided to throw the devs a bone and paid for Tea Reader even though I was a bit reluctant. What a mistake. Last time I pay for a webOS app.

Now I'm just waiting for Android to drop. Though I'm a little worried about bricking it since it'll probably be the only TP I'll ever get to lay my hands on. I'm kinda mad the home button is a physical button. I keep imagining with every click I'm getting closer to the day that'll it get stuck depressed and not function anymore.

It'll be hard, but it'll be a smart move to wait until the method to dual boot or flash Android over (with an option to get webos back) is clearly laid out and relatively simple to do.

danootz

bucknuticus said:
IM confused, how do i get these free apps?

Easiest way is to bring up the HP Palm blog up in a browser card, click the link to open the app's page in the catalog and then copy the promo code from the Palm blog page and past it into the field after you click purchase and choose promo code.

danootz said:
Easiest way is to bring up the HP Palm blog up in a browser card, click the link to open the app's page in the catalog and then copy the promo code from the Palm blog page and past it into the field after you click purchase and choose promo code.

gotcah, just wasnt sure where to enter the promo code, thanks.

Edit:

Hmmmm still not seeing where to enter promo, im on the angry birds Rio thing in the HP catalog.

3N16MA

Banned
Well I created a new account using the same email as my previous account. Set it up as U.S. instead of Canada. That is how much I wanted the Pennant app which thankfully all the promo codes were not used. Had my eye on that app since before it was released for the iPad. Also the Kindle app was not available in the Canadian store and I now have that.

d[-_-]b

Banned
bucknuticus said:
gotcah, just wasnt sure where to enter the promo code, thanks.

Edit:

Hmmmm still not seeing where to enter promo, im on the angry birds Rio thing in the HP catalog.
press purchase you get the option to enter promo code

d[-_-]b said:
press purchase you get the option to enter promo code

Ah ok, its wanting me to tie a credit card to the account, ill probably just hold off until android comes to it. Dont really need Angry birds that bad, already on my iphone.

dream

danootz said:
I just got my official HP Touchpad case and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed in the quality. I'm guessing they were going for a lightweight feel, but dang these thing feels like it cost 3$ at the most to make. I just wanted a case that could handle standing positions and the ones I saw on Amazon looked cheap and sort of tacky so I decided to go with the official one.

Unfortunately I didn't bring the TP in with me to work today so not only can I not test this case out fully, but I'm missing out on the free apps HP is giving out. Those bahstids said early September would be the new pack release, not immediate end of August.

Back to the case quick, I swear, I don't know how well it's going to hold the stand positions, I'm guessing it's relying on the weight of the TP being locked in place to properly make the case take form, but in it's flimsy form, I can't imagine it being solid enough to even hold the thing up.

Just wait until you try docking this thing in the TouchStone in landscape with the case on.

VanWinkle

Installed the update and then Preware and the patches, and it's definitely faster, but still feels pretty slow, and the scrolling while in apps is not nearly smooth enough.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
VanWinkle said:
Installed the update and then Preware and the patches, and it's definitely faster, but still feels pretty slow, and the scrolling while in apps is not nearly smooth enough.
Overclock to 1.5

Turn logging to minimal.

Profit

3N16MA

Banned
VanWinkle said:

Did you overclock?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
danootz said:
I'm kinda mad the home button is a physical button. I keep imagining with every click I'm getting closer to the day that'll it get stuck depressed and not function anymore.

It won't matter, you can just gesture up from the bezel.

Blackhead

Redarse
dream said:
Just wait until you try docking this thing in the TouchStone in landscape with the case on.
ok this is a really weird stick to use in beating up the touchpad. it's impressive that they got charging working with the case in the first place

Anyone else disappointed in battery life? I feel like it only lasted 5h today (not overclocked; 95% in flight mode). I did watch 2 full length movies during that time (around 3h), but otherwise only played some games & checked e-mails for 5-10 mins.
Seems kinda weak to me :/

dream

Wow, Quickoffice's editing features are basic as hell. You can't even change margins or do a find and replace, functionality that exists in the iOS version of Quickoffice.

Greyface said:
ok this is a really weird stick to use in beating up the touchpad. it's impressive that they got charging working with the case in the first place

I just think it's a good example of how HP doesn't give a shit about design. All they had to do was put the induction coils on the other side of the tablet and we'd be able to charge the thing with the front cover of the case folded over the top.

Greyface said:
It's not that impressive - the back of the case is plastic.

LordCanti

I'm making due with the Griffin Elan Folio I bought, as a case for my touchpad. It's not perfect, but Office Depot never shipped out my official case order, and I can't find it in stores.

I suggest a case, if only because it props the thing up to a more reasonable couch surfing angle, even if you don't care about protecting the device.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Phantast2k said:
Anyone else disappointed in battery life? I feel like it only lasted 5h today (not overclocked; 95% in flight mode). I did watch 2 full length movies during that time (around 3h), but otherwise only played some games & checked e-mails for 5-10 mins.
Seems kinda weak to me :/
I use it to stream videos, check email chat and I havent charged in 3 days. Not sure. I am overclocked too.

Argyle

dream said:
Wow, Quickoffice's editing features are basic as hell. You can't even change margins or do a find and replace, functionality that exists in the iOS version of Quickoffice.

I just think it's a good example of how HP doesn't give a shit about design. All they had to do was put the induction coils on the other side of the tablet and we'd be able to charge the thing with the front cover of the case folded over the top.
I won't argue that HP/Palm are masters of design but you haven't thought this out very well either...If they moved the coils, then the speakers would be facing the wrong way when charging in landscape. Change the speaker position too and now you have to cut new speaker holes in the case, which might not be as elegant as allowing the hinge to expose the speakers.

Also, I remember you bitching that they didn't use magnets - I'm guessing they did not do this because it would screw up the inductive charging (which uses a magnetic field to induce current in the coil).

dream

Argyle said:
I won't argue that HP/Palm are masters of design but you haven't thought this out very well either...If they moved the coils, then the speakers would be facing the wrong way when charging in landscape. Change the speaker position too and now the speakers are facing the wrong way when using the case as a stand.

Also, I remember you bitching that they didn't use magnets - I'm guessing they did not do this because it would screw up the inductive charging (which uses a magnetic field to induce current in the coil).

Yeah, I didn't take the speaker orientation into account.

It seems like this could have been solved with a U shaped coil so that the thing charges in any position other than upside down portrait.

gate777

Shadowlink said:
How long does the Touchpad stay on the Charging screen? It has been over an hour already. :/

0 to 100% takes 3 hours to charge. It's a large capacity battery so it needs appropriate charging time.

gate777 said:
0 to 100% takes 3 hours to charge. It's a large capacity battery so it needs appropriate charging time.
So I have to charge it all the way to 100% in order to use it? Usually with electronics, I have to charge it a certain amount of time, then the charge screen disappears.

gate777

^
No, anything over 50% will do just fine. That will give you around 4-5 hours' use. The lightning bolt through the battery will not disappear until the unit is fully charged, but you can unplug it and use it whenever you want.

sfedai0

Banned
Updated Adobe Reader but dont notice any difference except a black background. Easier on the eyes but I wish you could adjust font size and color.

equap

Banned
Shadowlink said:
So I have to charge it all the way to 100% in order to use it? Usually with electronics, I have to charge it a certain amount of time, then the charge screen disappears.
do you have to completely fill up your car to drive it??

It's amazing how HP actually released this product in it's OEM state. Preware and OC'ing go a long way but there are still issues with the product.

To think HP thought they could compete with the Ipad2 in the same price range with this product is a joke and certainly a recipe for failure.

For $99 with the preware mods, I'm very happy with the product and looking forward to the homebrew community's contributions. However, for $499, I would never pick this device over and Ipad 2. Outside of a dislike for Apple, I can't see why anyone would.

Having said all that, very happy with my $100 investment. I've ready gotten a lot of hours out of it looking forward to many more.

dream said:
What charge screen are you talking about, Shadowlink? Are you talking about the USB drive screen?
Yeah! I connected it to the computer a while ago to see if it were to do anything, but nothing happened. I just assumed that I would have to charge it.

dream

It's a great purchase for $99 but I think even $199 would be too much for a product of this dubious quality.

Shadowlink said:
Yeah! I connected it to the computer a while ago to see if it were to do anything, but nothing happened. I just assumed that I would have to charge it.

Yea, don't worry about that screen -- it's just there to let you know it's mounted as a USB drive.

Top Bottom