• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

gate777

Shadowlink said:
Yeah! I connected it to the computer a while ago to see if it were to do anything, but nothing happened. I just assumed that I would have to charge it.

Bad news if you're trying to charge via a PC. The touchpad needs 5.3 volts of continuous power in order to charge efficiently and most USB ports won't give off that much voltage. It will trickle charge as long as you're not using it while it's connected.

Connecting to a PC to charge will only give you around 10% worth of battery charge over-night. Use the supplied AC adapter.

Fox Mulder

so after getting a few apps for this, it's annoying how they're sorted by download date instead of by name. Any way to change this?

bkfount said:
so after getting a few apps for this, it's annoying how they're sorted by download date instead of by name. Any way to change this?

Press down on the app until a grey box appears over it, then you can rearrange them.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
JLG- said:
Have you installed Preware on your touchpad? You need to do that first. There's a guide in the OP.
Already have preware on my touchpad. I was looking for the hulu patch in the preware app on my touchpad; should I be doing it on the PC?

Thanks for the help!

JLG-

chubigans said:
Already have preware on my touchpad. I was looking for the hulu patch in the preware app on my touchpad; should I be doing it on the PC?

Thanks for the help!
No you don't need your PC. You just need to open up preware and add the testing feeds.

Follow these steps:

1. Open Preware and wait for it to finish loading.
2. Open the App Menu (tap "Preware" in the top left corner of the screen) and tap Manage feeds.
3. Scroll to the bottom until you see the New Feed box.
4. Type or paste a name and corresponding URL from above in the appropriate text boxes. Make sure the URL does *not* have a slash at the end.
5. Make sure the IS COMPRESSED option is set to YES.
6. Tap Add Feed and then tap Yes when the alert pops up.
7. Repeat these steps for each feed you wish to enable.
8. Gesture swipe back. Preware will alert you that you have added feeds and ask if you want to update them now. Choose YES.

URL of the feeds you need to add:
Code:
http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-internals/testing/all
http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-internals/testing/armv7
credit:http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Testing_Feeds

After you do all that just use the search button in preware and search for "hulu" and the patch should show up. Install it, then it will ask you to reboot. You should now have access to hulu and espn3.com(depending on your internet provider).

antonz

Thanks for putting that out JLG-. I had stepped out to eat.

Been a good day for Touchpads. Quickoffice got its update to allow editing of documents and excel files,hulu fix etc

equap said:

Yeah, it's pretty decent. I use ComicZeal on ipad2. And another free one. It's pretty bare bones, but has good functionality. The only issue is it doesn't remember the last page/comic you had opened up.

When you install the app, it will create a Comics folder on your touchpad. Connect your Touchpad to your PC as a USB drive and just drag the .cbz and .cbr to that folder. That's it.

gate777 said:
Bad news if you're trying to charge via a PC. The touchpad needs 5.3 volts of continuous power in order to charge efficiently and most USB ports won't give off that much voltage. It will trickle charge as long as you're not using it while it's connected.

Connecting to a PC to charge will only give you around 10% worth of battery charge over-night. Use the supplied AC adapter.
I had it connected to the wall. Weird thing was that the USB logo disappeared, and then it actually started charging. It took me about 2-3 hours to actually have it start charging. :/

plc268

Spiderjericho said:
Yeah, it's pretty decent. I use ComicZeal on ipad2. And another free one. It's pretty bare bones, but has good functionality. The only issue is it doesn't remember the last page/comic you had opened up.

When you install the app, it will create a Comics folder on your touchpad. Connect your Touchpad to your PC as a USB drive and just drag the .cbz and .cbr to that folder. That's it.

Also, it appears you have to restart the device everytime you add new files, otherwise they won't show. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the Touchpad or the app.

HP.com site has been updated with this:

Thank you for your interest in the HP TouchPad

We have received an overwhelming number of requests to be notified if the TouchPad is again available for sale. As a result, we have turned off the ability to be notified. We will have more information on product availability shortly. The most current information will be provided here. Those who signed up for notification will also be receiving an email as soon as we have more information to share.

HP Small and Medium Business Customers

If you ordered your new HP TouchPad from the HP Small and Medium Business Store from August 20th - 21st, please Click Here

Source: http://www.hp.com/united-states/webos/us/en/tablet/touchpad-availability.html

Glad I got signed up. See what happens.

dream

I'm genuinely saddened that Coperdickus doesn't have one of these things.

I can't think of another gaffer that I wish the webOS experience on more than him.

kehs

Banned
dream said:
I'm genuinely saddened that Coperdickus doesn't have one of these things.

I can't think of another gaffer that I wish the webOS experience on more than him.

That's like telling God about the virtues of Jesus.

Mabye I'll experience on it my next Samsung Nexus 4 running Webos.

dream

Copernicus said:
That's like telling God about the virtues of Jesus.

Mabye I'll experience on it my next Samsung Nexus 4 running Webos.

I can't wait for the first time you scroll in webOS.

oh wait you use Android nevermind!

kinggroin

Banned
dream said:
I can't wait for the first time you scroll in webOS.

oh wait you use Android nevermind!

The HC browser is hardware accelerated, so outisde some flash and Java heavy websites, he's getting 60fps scrolling. The touchpad is atrocious however. Gaf is like 15fps with no horizontal lock. What a mess.

And yes, I know it was a joke.

gokieks

Firestorm said:
Tablet-optimized or is it a phone app?

I'm not sure if it's a separate tablet version (don't have the thing with me at work), but it does work quite well on the tablet and I didn't feel like the UI was a detriment when I was testing it.

Top Bottom