• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Godslay said:
Getting it to run is fairly easy, if you follow these directions:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad-apps/290298-machinarium-webos.html

It runs nicely even on stock CPU speed. The controls aren't perfect but I've played through a good portion and they seem to work well enough.

:( god I wish I wasnt so shit at all this, struggling here lol, got it to load but then I just get a white screen

I assume this is why, it's telling me to use a file manager to load " /media/internal/machinarium/machinarium.htm"

but I dont have those folders at all.. where should they be .. where do i have to make them aghh ive just put the machinarium folder in the downloads aghh

Doopliss

Godslay said:
Getting it to run is fairly easy, if you follow these directions:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad-apps/290298-machinarium-webos.html

It runs nicely even on stock CPU speed. The controls aren't perfect but I've played through a good portion and they seem to work well enough.
Thanks for that, might give it a go. Is it possible to save the game?

Edit: ...and two seconds later, I see in that thread that the answer is yes. Neat.

gokieks said:
wIRC has struck me as being quite good.

Thanks.

I'm having trouble installing Preware on my Mac.

Here's what I'm working with:

Touchpad WebOS 3.0.2
OSX 10.6.8
Java SE 6 64-bit 1.6.0_26-b03-384
Java SE 6 32-bit 1.6.0_26-b03-384

- Plug in the Touchpad, cancel USB mode
- Run WebOSQuickInstall-4.2.3.jar
- I am asked to install Novacom drivers. Novacom driver install fails, close prompt.
- WebOS interface says drivers installed; but no devices are found.

I have to be doing something wrong as I'm following the directions; but am not able to install.

Husker86

Mission said:
This was released last night so I got it while I was updating to 3.0.2. It allows creation and editing of documents and spreadsheets, so no editing powerpoint. Seems ok.

That was the QuickOffice update, this is different.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
When I bought this at $99, I was expecting NO SUPPORT, no new updates, no app updates, nothing. And I was fine with that.

Getting the QuickOffice update and now a new OTA is fantastic news. Now if we can get some new apps (I know, a HUGE stretch), I may not even care for an Android port.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
VanMardigan said:
When I bought this at $99, I was expecting NO SUPPORT, no new updates, no app updates, nothing. And I was fine with that.

Getting the QuickOffice update and now a new OTA is fantastic news. Now if we can get some new apps (I know, a HUGE stretch), I may not even care for an Android port.

When I bought this I intended on getting Android over to it. Then I synced up my work email to the webOS client and was like "oh...yeah, I'm keeping this". Their email system shits on my Android and iOS stuff. And the browser is lightning fast.

That's all I ever needed out of a tab. I don't see tabs the same way I see phones. I love customizing my Android, and having certain apps - it adds appeal to it. But a tablet has very specific uses for me: browsing + email. I see no point in apps for it, especially games; and I don't care about a proper camera because, quite frankly, you look like an idiot taking pictures with a tablet - everyone has a decent shooter on their cell phones anyway.

Email
Browsing
Conferencing
Office Docs
Texting Options
Music Player
Video Player
Navigation/Maps

HP would've been smart to release this unit for $200 off the bat, it would've competed and put a dent in the competition, and HP would've made a small profit to get their feet in the game. A low-end tablet with this kind of user experience is simply a value that a lot of people would not pass up. Plus I could imagine the BlackBerry faithful (having been totally letdown by the awful Playbook) frolicking to this for its email support.

gokieks

AlphaSnake said:
When I bought this I intended on getting Android over to it. Then I synced up my work email to the webOS client and was like "oh...yeah, I'm keeping this". Their email system shits on my Android and iOS stuff. And the browser is lightning fast.

That's all I ever needed out of a tab. I don't see tabs the same way I see phones. I love customizing my Android, and having certain apps - it adds appeal to it. But a tablet has very specific uses for me: browsing + email. I see no point in apps for it, especially games; and I don't care about a proper camera because, quite frankly, you look like an idiot taking pictures with a tablet - everyone has a decent shooter on their cell phones anyway.

Email
Browsing
Conferencing
Office Docs
Texting Options
Music Player
Video Player
Navigation/Maps

HP would've been smart to release this unit for $200 off the bat, it would've competed and put a dent in the competition, and HP would've made a small profit to get their feet in the game. A low-end tablet with this kind of user experience is simply a value that a lot of people would not pass up. Plus I could imagine the BlackBerry faithful (having been totally letdown by the awful Playbook) frolicking to this for its email support.

I have no idea how you can think the browser is "lightning fast". It's by far the worst part of the webOS/TouchPad experience.

And the thing costs much more than $200 just to manufacture, so HP would not have made any sort of a profit by selling it at that price. But if they were serious about the webOS platform, taking a loss to sell it at such a price may have been a worthwhile endeavor.

letsbereasonable said:
Preader is awful. Is there an alternative? I'd even take a web app that opens epubs over this. Rest of the Touchpad is pretty ace, though.

Assuming you mean the pReader app from the HP App Catalog, pReader Native (in alpha) from Preware is much better. Still not great, but usable (which pReader honestly isn't - it wouldn't even proper read EPUBs I created in Calibre, which pReader Native handled fine).

AlphaSnake

gokieks said:
I have no idea how you can think the browser is "lightning fast". It's by far the worst part of the webOS/TouchPad experience.

And the thing costs much more than $200 just to manufacture, so HP would not have made any sort of a profit by selling it at that price. But if they were serious about the webOS platform, taking a loss to sell it at such a price may have been a worthwhile endeavor.

Have to disagree. The browser is very fast to display pages, scroll, and display everything correctly. I haven't had any issues with it - it even loads really, really fast from the moment I open it; much faster than that '1.2GHZ vs 1.5GHZ Overclock' video shows.

Also, regarding build cost: analysts all estimated that pads cost ~$250 to build in 2010. Fast forward 18 months, and I highly doubt that number hasn't gone down below $200.

Edit: Hrmmm...though some sources claim the TouchPad cost $300 to build. Christ.

gokieks said:
Assuming you mean the pReader app from the HP App Catalog, pReader Native (in alpha) from Preware is much better. Still not great, but usable (which pReader honestly isn't - it wouldn't even proper read EPUBs I created in Calibre, which pReader Native handled fine).

I'm using Native. Books actually load fine and mostly display correctly, but the interface is pretty buggy and nonresponsive. The bigger dealbreaker is that turning pages is hit or miss, though that could just be that it's loading pages slowly.

Bowser

AlphaSnake said:
Have to disagree. The browser is very fast to display pages, scroll, and display everything correctly. I haven't had any issues with it - it even loads really, really fast from the moment I open it; much faster than that '1.2GHZ vs 1.5GHZ Overclock' video shows.

Also, regarding build cost: analysts all estimated that pads cost ~$250 to build in 2010. Fast forward 18 months, and I highly doubt that number hasn't gone down below $200.

Edit: Hrmmm...though some sources claim the TouchPad cost $300 to build. Christ.

CqFsn.jpg

...and yeah, you're about the only one who is raving about the browsing experience on the TouchPad. It's anything but "lightening fast". For $100, it's fine, but to think HP thought this thing could beat the iPad 2 at $499/$599 with how sluggish the OOB experience is, they must have been smoking something good.

Chris R

Were retail stores getting another wave of these? I saw a huge line outside of Best Buy this morning, at the store didn't even open for 2+ hours.

I really wouldn't mind getting one of these, I'm was just too lazy to go and track one down :(

AlphaSnake

Bowser said:
CqFsn.jpg

...and yeah, you're about the only one who is raving about the browsing experience on the TouchPad. It's anything but "lightening fast". For $100, it's fine, but to think HP thought this thing could beat the iPad 2 at $499/$599 with how sluggish the OOB experience is, they must have been smoking something good.

Engadget and a few others who have other tablets were not disappointed by the browsing. There are a few shortcomings, but nothing awful that breaks the experience. It's solid all around, and again, everything loads for me extremely quick.

Yes, I highly agree though, I have no idea how they possibly could've thought this would sell at $500.

tino

Banned
AlphaSnake said:

The TouchPad browsers (both default and Advance browser) render shit fine, but they are missing the small touches that make they usable as work tool. There is no "open tab in the background"; open new card takes too long; hard to highlight; keyboard is pretty premitive; bookmark management is premitive; when you open a tab, the tab doesn't move up; when you close a tab, you don't automatically go back to the last tab; also scolling takes forever.

Small things that make daily browsing usable.

Were retail stores getting another wave of these? I saw a huge line outside of Best Buy this morning, at the store didn't even open for 2+ hours.

I think it was the release date for Gallop Racer 2011 on Xbox and PS3.
Just a guess.

AlphaSnake

SRG01 said:
iSuppli is the worst for cost breakdown. Most manufacturers get price breaks and discounts...

Yeah, I had a feeling those prices couldn't be correct - they looked like standard retail costs. $30 for flash ram? That's about what it costs from a store. I have almost no doubt that this pad specifically didn't cost more than $200 to make.

Vyer

tino said:
The TouchPad browsers (both default and Advance browser) render shit fine, but they are missing the small touches that make they usable as work tool. There is no "open tab in the background"; open new card takes too long; hard to highlight; keyboard is pretty premitive; bookmark management is premitive; when you open a tab, the tab doesn't move up; when you close a tab, you don't automatically go back to the last tab; also scolling takes forever.

Small things that make daily browsing usable.
Yup. I like a lot of things about it, but disappointed the browser is so lacking.

Fox Mulder

rhfb said:

I really wouldn't mind getting one of these, I'm was just too lazy to go and track one down :(
Madden nerds?

So anyone knows if any blutooth keyboard is compatible with this? i want one but i dont want to pay the outrageous prices of the original HP one.

SRG01

AlphaSnake said:
Yeah, I had a feeling those prices couldn't be correct - they looked like standard retail costs. $30 for flash ram? That's about what it costs from a store. I have almost no doubt that this pad specifically didn't cost more than $200 to make.

The display price may be somewhat close, but almost all of the semiconductor parts are way off. There's no way that 3-axis accelerometer will cost $1.20 at the quantities they need.

AlphaSnake

zephervack said:
So anyone knows if any blutooth keyboard is compatible with this? i want one but i dont want to pay the outrageous prices of the original HP one.

It's $35 now, not $70.

Amazon.com

I'm grabbing one.

R2D4

Banned
I have two touchpads and at random times they just turn on from sleep mode. They light up for about 30 seconds and then go dark again. Freaked me the fuck out last night when they started doing it in my bedroom. This just started yesterday and I've had them for about a week.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
AlphaSnake said:
It's $35 now, not $70.

Amazon.com

I'm grabbing one.
I'd love to grab one if I knew for sure it'd be Android compatible once the Touchpad gets converted.

Someone said the keyboard doesn't work with the iPad, anyone know?

neonglow

The Take Out Bandit said:
Thanks.

Touchpad WebOS 3.0.2
OSX 10.6.8

- I am asked to install Novacom drivers. Novacom driver install fails, close prompt.

I have to be doing something wrong as I'm following the directions; but am not able to install.

You should plug in the Touchpad as the final step, not the first.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I added the packages in the OP for Hulu, but I get no search results for Hulu. Plus, I'm getting an error message on some of the feeds when preware loads up.

Vyer

Marty Chinn said:
Ya I did. I got an e-mail about it but it doesn't look like they shipped it yet. Sorta annoyed.
Same here. I used Google Checkout, site shows stock in, got email, card has been charged yesterday, but Google shows status not yet shipped.

Might try and call today if I have a chance during work.

kehs

Banned
SRG01 said:
The display price may be somewhat close, but almost all of the semiconductor parts are way off. There's no way that 3-axis accelerometer will cost $1.20 at the quantities they need.

Those prices take into consideration volume and pricebreaks (most of those breakdowns are based from actual quotes), but because HP was building them on a "wait and see" basis they don't procure millions of parts, the procure tens of thousands.

Bowser

The Take Out Bandit said:
Thanks.

Touchpad WebOS 3.0.2
OSX 10.6.8

Same thing happened to me. I could not for the life of me get the Novacom driver to install and I couldn't find any answers through Google. Luckily, I still have my old laptop running Windows and installed Preware through that (went off without a hitch). It's not something wrong with the TouchPad, it's something between OS X and the Novacom driver...it just doesn't correctly install for some reason.

Jarate

Banned
I got thisd from HP, without even ordering from HP

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your interest in the HP TouchPad and webOS. The overwhelming demand for this product in recent days has made it difficult to fulfill your request at the present time, and we are working to make more available as soon as possible. While we do not yet have specific details, we know it will be at least a few weeks before we have a limited quantity available again. We will keep you informed as we have more specifics that we can communicate, and we encourage you to join the conversation here for the latest information.

In light of this and other recent HP news, we want you to know that we remain committed to you. We will continue to honor our warranties now and in the future. We will continue delivering products that make a difference in your life and we will continue to provide the best possible service to you every day.

We are grateful for your patience and loyalty and to show our gratitude, we are offering you an exclusive one-time opportunity to save an additional amount on all of our products, valid through the end of the day tomorrow, Wednesday, August 31, 2011. You'll save 25% off all printers, ink, HP accessories, and PCs starting at or above $599. To take advantage of this offer, use your unique coupon code (THE NUMBER OF THE COUPON CODE) at checkout, and for more information on the details of this offer, please look at the bottom of this email.

Sincerely,

hpdirect.com

does this mean my order from Cost Central is cannceled, also, what's the latest on Cost Central

bob page

Jarate said:
I got thisd from HP, without even ordering from HP

does this mean my order from Cost Central is cannceled, also, what's the latest on Cost Central
I'm pretty sure they sent that to people who subscribed to the HP availability list.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Latest Hulu patch is choppy as hell. Same for anyone else?

Every other "essential" patch mentioned in this thread works flawlessly for me.

Kolgar

Interesting story making the rounds. HP may revive the Touchpad:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/30/hp-touchpad_n_942308.html

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/08/30/hp-says-pc-business-to-remain-worlds-biggest/

MThanded said:

If I've installed Preware apps, can I safely install official updates like this one, or will I need to remove all Preware stuff first?

Sorry, I'm new to modding. Thanks!

Trumpet909 said:
So I'm looking to get a case for this thing...any suggestions? I'd like to get something cheaper than the $50 HP model.

Most of us were able to find the official case for 50% off or more. Ranging for 19.99 to 24.99. Keep looking.

Godslay

Banned
HolyCheck said:
:( god I wish I wasnt so shit at all this, struggling here lol, got it to load but then I just get a white screen

I assume this is why, it's telling me to use a file manager to load " /media/internal/machinarium/machinarium.htm"

but I dont have those folders at all.. where should they be .. where do i have to make them aghh ive just put the machinarium folder in the downloads aghh

The way they write it is a little confusing.

The directory /media/internal/ is essentially the "root" of the HP Touchpad file structure. So you do have these "folders" without having to create them.

Additionally, you can install the IPK's directly from the thread on your touchpad. Just click on the link provided and it should find them and ask to install through preware.

I also used notepad ++ to create the htm file because notepad wouldn't rename it properly and would end up being machinarium.txt.htm which doesn't work.

neonglow said:
I tried the HP keyboard and it works fine with my Nook Color. Also, if you look at the Android Acer Iconia keyboard, it's just a rebadged HP keyboard:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004YHOUDI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I bought the keyboard this weekend and I can confirm that it works with my Android phone (Droid 2), and Windows 7. I was a little confused by the secure pair (where Win7 generates a code for the keyboard), but if you enter that code on the keyboard it works without a hitch. Nice keyboard for 29.99.

Top Bottom