• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Kolgar said:
Interesting story making the rounds. HP may revive the Touchpad:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/30/hp-touchpad_n_942308.html

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/08/30/hp-says-pc-business-to-remain-worlds-biggest/

If I've installed Preware apps, can I safely install official updates like this one, or will I need to remove all Preware stuff first?

Sorry, I'm new to modding. Thanks!

Consider this...they officially have the #2 largest market share in tablets. It'd be stupid for HP to completely kill off this brand and line of tablets. The brand name has become part of a lot of people's everyday lives now, and I'm sure many of those users will begin to see the advantages and slick factor that webOS offers over iOS and Android. The brand has a huge foot in the door, and HP can keep carving more if they were smart about it.

I'm no webOS fanboy by any stretch (I have an iMac and an Android), but I can't help but think this is the best OS-type for a tablet device.

Chris R

bkfount said:
Madden nerds?
Ya this is what it ended up being. Should have guessed by Bro to Non-Bro ratio :( Oh well, still going to try and get in on that second run if the price is still the same.

dream

Copernicus said:
redacted.

I figured they were using wFS or something cool like that.

Sorry.

fat32.png

Flink

I'm probably just stupid, but every time I click on a page from my Google search result in the webOS browser, I get something like:

"Redirect Notice

The previous page is sending you to http://neogaf.com/.

If you do not want to visit that page, you can return to the previous page."

How can I stop this?

saunderez

dream said:
This thing uses FAT32 as its file system, right? Won't fragmentation be a motherfucker?
The part you can read on your PC is FAT32. But judging from the WebOS SDK the actual OS is on an EXT3 partition. If the whole storage was in EXT3 there'd be no easy way to access it on a Windows PC so it's the only way to do things really. All Android devices operate the same way. FAT32 partition for the user, some form of Linux partitioning for the OS (EXT3 or EXT4 usually)

neonglow said:
You should plug in the Touchpad as the final step, not the first.

Thanks. I gave it a shot, still will not install Novacom drivers. :(

Bowser said:
Same thing happened to me. I could not for the life of me get the Novacom driver to install and I couldn't find any answers through Google. Luckily, I still have my old laptop running Windows and installed Preware through that (went off without a hitch). It's not something wrong with the TouchPad, it's something between OS X and the Novacom driver...it just doesn't correctly install for some reason.

I might give my dual boot machine a shot then. Although it sounds like the developer has an update in the works for the easy installer.

reKon

Banned
1) This touchpad is nice! After applying the recommended patches and getting preware everything runs smoothly and it's an easy OS to use.

2) Why doesn't HBOGO load up on mine? I saw other people here saying that it worked flawlessly.

Vyer

reKon said:
1) This touchpad is nice! After applying the recommended patches and getting preware everything runs smoothly and it's an easy OS to use.

2) Why doesn't HBOGO load up on mine? I saw other people here saying that it worked flawlessly.

HBOGO seems really touch and go. You want to make sure you have a good connection, all the patches/updates, and make sure that you don't have it running on any other devices (TP seems to choke up on the 'HBOGO account is already logged in on another device' popup).

Even then it's kinda of hit or miss.

Tapiozona

Banned
Computer said:
The Honeycomb source code is not available.

Son of a...

Means there's little hope honeycomb will ever make it on there then. Sucks. I dont want another hacked device running 2.2. After using honeycomb it sucks having to go back.

I'd rather not stick with WebOS. The OS is rather boring and the lack of quality apps sucks. At least give me netflix and I could live with it.

dabig2

Anyone else have troubles downloading PDF and DOC files from websites, primarily education related? Like I always get a "not supported" when I try to open the downloaded file and I also notice they are only like around 100 bytes in size. However, if I download them onto my main PC and transfer over either the USB or put it on the cloud, they open fine.

It's a bit annoying. Was hoping that the most recent updates would've fixed it, but nope.

Tapiozona

Banned
After doing a bit of research. Honeycomb's source code will be released when Ice Cream Sandwhich is since they're very close to being one in the same.

So maybe October? Thats the 'rumor' as to when ICS comes out.

TheExodu5

Banned
Copernicus said:
If you don't think a free complete OS isn't open...I don't' know what to tell you.

I don't think you understand what open means in the software world. Open means that 100% of the source code is available to anyone.

kehs

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
I don't think you understand what open means in the software world. Open means that 100% of the source code is available to anyone.

Pretty sure you can pull a pull a complete tablet ready build of android from github and do what you want with it.

giga

Copernicus said:
Pretty sure you can pull a pull a complete tablet ready build of android from github and do what you want with it.
We're all talking about Honeycomb, not Gingerbread. It's kind of bullshit that companies like Moto can ship a complete product back in Feb with it while others are still waiting on just getting the source.

kehs

Banned
giga said:
We're all talking about Honeycomb, not Gingerbread. It's kind of bullshit that companies like Moto can ship a complete product back in Feb with it while others are still waiting on just getting the source.

Gingerbread has tablet support.

Xoom a complete product, lol, you hear that gcube? Your xoom wasn't gimped when it was shipped.

kehs

Banned
giga said:
Gingerbread tablets are about as good as webOS tablets.

So it has to be good for it to be considered "open"?

Google has never claimed to develop their contributions in the open.

Tapiozona said:
Son of a...

Means there's little hope honeycomb will ever make it on there then. Sucks. I dont want another hacked device running 2.2. After using honeycomb it sucks having to go back.

I'd rather not stick with WebOS. The OS is rather boring and the lack of quality apps sucks. At least give me netflix and I could live with it.
Ice Cream Sandwich is coming soon anyway. No need to try porting Honeycomb.

DJ_Tet

Banned
What kind of sick, childbearing fantasies are Bryna having while referring to her twitter followers repeatedly as her babies?

Jennifer Love Hewitt calls her followers her lovelys and I can deal with that because she's got a rack to stand the test of time, but Bryna needs to face reality. All of her 'babies' will be gone once this #TouchPadZombie fever is over.

giga

Copernicus said:

It's already known that Google doesn't have the gut to develop Android like a real open source project, but that's besides the point here.

kehs

Banned
giga said:
It's already known that Google doesn't have the gut to develop Android like a real open source project, but that's besides the point here.

I thought that was the point trying to be made. The distinction whether the OS is open or not, not whether their contributions are or not.

There are parts of the OS developed in the open btw. It just so happens that most of the portions that people actually want are the stuff that Google creates and then open sources for anybody to use.

dream:
angry.gif

Copernicus said:

No, it has to be available for it to be open. Android is only as "open" as Google wants it to be.

Honeycomb is a currently shipping version, and it is completely closed. In other words, Honeycomb is about as "open" as iOS.

dream

If anything, I think it's worse because now I have shit pegging (shut up Coperdickus) the CPU and bogging down my foreground process without giving me any benefits from running in the background.

Top Bottom