• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

kehs

Banned
lunarworks said:
No, it has to be available for it to be open. Android is only as "open" as Google wants it to be.

Honeycomb is a currently shipping version, and it is completely closed. In other words, Honeycomb is about as "open" as iOS.

If I take iOS, tweak it and start putting it on devices, I will be in a world of hurt, not so with android and meizu has proven.

It's like getting mad at Google for not open sourcing their custom algorithm because they host the chromium project.

dream said:
If anything, I think it's worse because now I have shit pegging (shut up Coperdickus) the CPU and bogging down my foreground process without giving me any benefits from running in the background.

I enjoy the fact that I don't have to even bother making innuendos anymore.

giga

Copernicus said:
I thought that was the point trying to be made. The distinction whether the OS is open or not, not whether their contributions are or not.

There are parts of the OS developed in the open btw. It just so happens that most of the portions that people actually want are the stuff that Google creates and then open sources for anybody to use.

dream:
angry.gif
The point is that Honeycomb has been on the market for 6 months and there's still no AOSP. ICS will solve that problem, but that's 6 months and counting that manufacturers and developers have been spurned for reasons I don't know.

kehs

Banned
giga said:
The point is that Honeycomb has been on the market for 6 months and there's still no AOSP. ICS will solve that problem, but that's 6 months and counting that manufacturers and developers have been spurned for reasons I don't know.

The reason? Moto and Co forced Google's hand to try and beat the iPad to market, they comprised and barfed up hacked up code. Honeycomb is partial code shipped out, like a typical iOS release, just less polished.

Copernicus said:
If I take iOS, tweak it and start putting it on devices, I will be in a world of hurt, not so with android and meizu has proven.
This keeps flying over your head.

NO ONE HAS THE SOURCE FOR HONEYCOMB.

NO ONE.

NOT EVEN MEIZU.

YES. Meizu can put any 2.x Android on their hardware. But it would be next to impossible to put 3.x (Honeycomb) on their hardware.

How do you keep missing this point?

Android 3.x is closed, not open.

giga

Copernicus said:
The reason? Moto and co forced google's hand to beat the iPad to market, they comprised and barfed up hacked up code. Honeycomb is partial code shipped out, like a typical iOS release, just less polished.
I'd imagine most of those problems were ironed out in 3.1 and 3.2.

So, after using the Touchpad for about a week, the only gripe I have is the time it takes to reboot. (I have to reboot for the ComicShelf app to detect new comics added.) Everything else seems pretty good.

kehs

Banned
lunarworks said:
This keeps flying over your head.

NO ONE HAS THE SOURCE FOR HONEYCOMB.

NO ONE.

NOT EVEN MEIZU.

YES. Meizu can put any 2.x Android on their hardware. But it would be next to impossible to put 3.x (Honeycomb) on their hardware.

How do you keep missing this point?

Android 3.x is closed, not open.

The source for HC is incomplete, who want's incomplete code?

What you don't understand is that contributions only become open source the second the creator chooses them to be open source. They have never claimed to develop their contributions in the open. That's the difference.

giga said:
I'd imagine most of those problems were ironed out in 3.1 and 3.2.

3.2 did finally add some api related to smaller screens, but that still doesn't solve the overall problem that the HC contributions were developed independtly for larger screens and didn't take into consideration for smaller screens. They technically could have merged everything in, but it would have been a clusterfuck for developers trying to do cross device work.

Copernicus said:
The source for HC is incomplete, who want's incomplete code?

What you don't understand is that contributions only become open source the second the creator chooses them to be open source. They have never claimed to develop their contributions in the open. That's the difference.
So basically, there's several shipping products on the market using incomplete code?

Awesome.

dream

I don't understand why Google doesn't just drop the pretense of openness. The type of people who care about Android being "open" aren't the type of people who will help Google make money anyway.

kehs

Banned
lunarworks said:
So basically, there's several shipping products on the market using incomplete code?

Awesome.

They're shipped with code they don't need.

In fact, most android devices are shipped with "incomplete code", because android devices only need to pull the code that fits the device.

dream said:
I don't understand why Google doesn't just drop the pretense of openness. The type of people who care about Android being "open" aren't the type of people who will help Google make money anyway.

Yup, I only care about open source cause I'm cheap and too poor to afford an Apple product.

edit: wtf, this isn't an android thread
lol.gif

desubscribe, sorry guys

So the webOS browser sucks for message boards. It saves a cache copy of a thread and spits out to you when you return to it 30 minutes later. You have to reload to get the updated version. Driving me nuts.

Also is there any way emulate the iOS behaviour of double space = period and caps for next letter?

dream

Copernicus said:
Yup, I only care about open source cause I'm cheap and too poor to afford an Apple product.

I know. It's cool though, I'm sure your PanDigital tablet is just as good as an iPad.

butter_stick said:
Also is there any way emulate the iOS behaviour of double space = period and caps for next letter?

Nope. No tap to go back to the top of the page either. :(

Copernicus said:
They're shipped with code they don't need.

In fact, most android devices are shipped with "incomplete code", because android devices only need to pull the code that fits the device.
Wow.

"Incomplete code" does not mean "not using all the code".

It means that work has not finished on the code, and it's not in an official release state. "Beta", let's say, for all intents and purposes.

Kapsama

why does openess only mean that the source code has to be available? what about the fact that neither gingerbread nor honeycomb force you into the walled Apple garden eco system for media that you can only escape by voiding your warranty? that doesn't count as open?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Got myself the keyboard. It's extremely nice, nearly a carbon copy of the Apple keyboard. Gonna try it out in a bit.

Kapsama said:
why does openess only mean that the source code has to be available? what about the fact that neither gingerbread nor honeycomb force you into the walled Apple garden eco system for media that you can only escape by voiding your warranty? that doesn't count as open?
You have a very good point, but "open", in regards to software, has a very specific set of meanings.

butter_stick said:
So the webOS browser sucks for message boards. It saves a cache copy of a thread and spits out to you when you return to it 30 minutes later. You have to reload to get the updated version. Driving me nuts.

So far in the week I've had with the Touchpad, I'd say

1) Improve the web browser (get rid of the caching issue, by clicking hyperlinks open tabs not windows like Safari and some more FF/Chrome like functionality).

2) A real (good) ebook reader (with support for epub)

3) a decent multimedia alternative to the default player (touchplayer is super basic and hard to pause, etc)

4) Netflix since people keep complaining about it.

5) Graphic acceleration.

Also, someone in this thread said they purchased this case:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HD5EXO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I had some Amazon credit and got one. I get it tomorrow and will let others know if it fits exactly and works well with the Touchpad.

dream

It's really remarkable how shitty this thing is as an e-reader. It's terrible at handling PDFs and it's atrocious at handling epubs.

jgkspsx

dream said:
It's really remarkable how shitty this thing is as an e-reader. It's terrible at handling PDFs and it's atrocious at handling epubs.
It's funny, because I was impressed at how much better it is at handling PDF than the previous webOS PDF application, which is about as robust as the one for PalmOS Garnet but without the panache.

dream

Well, yeah...if you're used to webOS 1.4.5's PDF viewer, you're probably amazed that this thing even opens PDFs. I just think it's dog slow and renders horribly compared to something like GoodReader.

Spiderjericho said:
So far in the week I've had with the Touchpad, I'd say

1) Improve the web browser (get rid of the caching issue, by clicking hyperlinks open tabs not windows like Safari and some more FF/Chrome like functionality).

2) A real (good) ebook reader (with support for epub)

3) a decent multimedia alternative to the default player (touchplayer is super basic and hard to pause, etc)

4) Netflix since people keep complaining about it.

5) Graphic acceleration.

I had some Amazon credit and got one. I get it tomorrow and will let others know if it fits exactly and works well with the Touchpad.

5) Check the Kalemsoft website, they have a free version of their player on there (the $8 one), it runs so many rings around touchplayer, can't ever go back

magnificent83 said:
5) Check the Kalemsoft website, they have a free version of their player on there (the $8 one), it runs so many rings around touchplayer, can't ever go back

Someone was saying Kalemsoft wasn't hardware accelerated? That makes it worthless for HD content...

saunderez

Unknown Soldier said:
Someone was saying Kalemsoft wasn't hardware accelerated? That makes it worthless for HD content...
It'll play HD content but I don't think it can decode AC3. I had video but no sound.

EDIT: Looks like the app was updated yesterday, will have to see if it made any difference with my lack of sound.

sfedai0

Banned
Anyone have any problems with kindle? Its crashed and I deleted it and re-installed it, only to have a warning pop up and say it was de-registering the device and to wait but just stays stuck there. ALso, Accuweather app never loads.

Finally got the Touchpad I ordered from HP today and it was decided beforehand that it was going to be my wife's even though she has an iPad and because I already have a Transformer. After playing around with it a bit, I'm actually kinda jealous now. I sorta want one myself now. It just feels cleaner and more polished than Honeycomb so far.

Vyer

dream said:
I don't think webOS' multitasking is any better than Android or iOS' in practice.

In theory it should be better, but there have been a few times that leaving the 'card' to do it's own thing while I'm in another application hasn't worked out. Like how the updates are all jammed up so you have to nurse it along...but if you leave the 'card', you're fucked.

I can see the appeal, but in practice I haven't got much use out of it.

Marty Chinn said:
Finally got the Touchpad I ordered from HP today and it was decided beforehand that it was going to be my wife's even though she has an iPad and because I already have a Transformer. After playing around with it a bit, I'm actually kinda jealous now. I sorta want one myself now. It just feels cleaner and more polished than Honeycomb so far.

Any luck with our friends at costcentral?

Argyle

dream said:
I don't think webOS' multitasking is any better than Android or iOS' in practice.

Dunno, I find it annoying when I switch away from Google Reader in Android and it doesn't remember how far down the page I've scrolled when I come back (it always pops me back to the top of the article).

I'm sure my friend finds it annoying every time he is listening to Pandora in his car on his iPhone4 and the music completely stops every time he gets a text message. (Yes, this still happens - he has a special build of Pandora that works with the Pioneer head unit in his car, and they never bothered to rebuild it with that "use multitasking" flag or whatever.)

I have receeeeived my Touchpaaaaaaad 32Go.

Thank you la Fnac for this package, sent yesterday, received today Oo

Can't wait for Android to be ported to this :D

EDIT : Question : Can we use any Bluetooth keyboard or must it be HP's ?

So i got a 32GB version last night and i played with it for a few hours.

First impression is that for the $150 i paid for it im pretty happy but thank God i didnt pay $600 for it on launch.

So far it has completely crashed on me twice with normal operation, just closed some cards and upon trying to opening another card *CRASH*. To be fair i didnt perform the latest update until today in the morning.

Also the apps landscape is pretty grim, thank God for Spaz HD as i was losing hope of finding a descent Twitter app.

Also tried watching an SD video on CollegeHumor.com and the video was choppy and sometimes it would just break while the sound continued playing. I hope the overclock helps with this, i will be doing it later today.

Still for $150 this was a great purchase, im still trying to figure out how to move most of my music and pictures to it as this is the reason i got the 32GB version, anyone knows if its just drag and drop from windows?

Downhome

I just bumped up the overclock from 1.5 to 1.7. Wow what a difference! I'm tempted to push it to the next step as well, but I don't think I'm going to do that just yet. I'm pretty freakin' happy with 1.7 right now.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Tribes of Trusty said:
I have receeeeived my Touchpaaaaaaad 32Go.

Thank you la Fnac for this package, sent yesterday, received today Oo

Can't wait for Android to be ported to this :D

EDIT : Question : Can we use any Bluetooth keyboard or must it be HP's ?

Seems like it's HPs only. My Apple keyboard doesn't work. I got the HP one for $35 at Best Buy.

Mission

Downhome said:
I just bumped up the overclock from 1.5 to 1.7. Wow what a difference! I'm tempted to push it to the next step as well, but I don't think I'm going to do that just yet. I'm pretty freakin' happy with 1.7 right now.

I thought 1.7 was the highest bump right now. Which kernel did you just install?

gokieks

dream said:
I had something to contribute to the discussion but I have to defrag my TouchPad first.

Oh for god's sakes, don't complain about something you don't even understand. Fragmentation is only an issue for mechanical hard drives because the seek time depends on the rotation of the platters, which means it will be lower if the data are all in close proximity. For flash memory that's not applicable at all, which is why nobody should ever be defragmenting their USB flash drive or SSD.

And while FAT32 is an old format, it's the only real choice if you want something that is plug-and-play readable on all common operating systems.

Spiderjericho said:

Do you have an update on the case at all? I want to find something fairly soon and dont want some of the cheap knockoffs that seem to be all over ebay / amazon. Thanks in advance for any updates!

Krakatoa

Downhome said:

Cool, what kernel are you running? And are you having any problems with sound or Wifi?

I am running uberkernel but that's only 1.5

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
so two things:

I can't seem to log in to gaf on this thing? everytime I put my info in, it says the thanks for logging in thing, then goes right back to the log in screen. anyone else going through this?
Ok, it turns out it does log me in, but it still takes me back to the log in screen. just had to click out of it...

also, does the secondapp neogaf cause your touchpad to crash? so far it has crashed mine everytime. at first it works fine, then it will lock up and tell me that I have too many cards open(one), then it will hard reset.

Paznos

Big Ass Ramp said:
so two things:

I can't seem to log in to gaf on this thing? everytime I put my info in, it says the thanks for logging in thing, then goes right back to the log in screen. anyone else going through this?
Ok, it turns out it does log me in, but it still takes me back to the log in screen. just had to click out of it...

also, does the secondapp neogaf cause your touchpad to crash? so far it has crashed mine everytime. at first it works fine, then it will lock up and tell me that I have too many cards open(one), then it will hard reset.
I've had the too many cards error a few times yesterday when I was on secondapp gaf, it was really strange seemed like a memory leak or something.

Big-ass Ramp

Paznos said:
I've had the too many cards error a few times yesterday when I was on secondapp gaf, it was really strange seemed like a memory leak or something.

yeah that's what I'm thinking. I'm on the official gaf site right now and it's working fine. It must be secondapps.

dream

Oh! I totally blanked out on the fact that the TouchPad uses flash memory for storage. Thanks gokieks.

I guess the good thing about it using FAT is I can run doublespace on it and turn my 16 gig TouchPad into a 32 gig TouchPad.

Big-ass Ramp

FJwwZ.jpg

do your guys touchpad have this little thing that pops out? may be a stupid question, but I can't find any documentation on it. not pictured on any of the official photos or included in the manual.

Big-ass Ramp

Krakatoa said:
Yeah I do, I actually asked about it before and someone said it was for an SD card.

To me it looks like a wifi antenna.

ok good. no I think it's just for the serial number and whatnot.

Vyer said:
Any luck with our friends at costcentral?

Nothing much other than that e-mail I mentioned before where they said they were overwhelmed with orders and it'll take time. I did get charged though and I did read that yesterday people started to get ship notices. So maybe they're catching up? Really surprised that they were this slow on this.

Top Bottom