• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

numble

gokieks said:
Oh for god's sakes, don't complain about something you don't even understand. Fragmentation is only an issue for mechanical hard drives because the seek time depends on the rotation of the platters, which means it will be lower if the data are all in close proximity. For flash memory that's not applicable at all, which is why nobody should ever be defragmenting their USB flash drive or SSD.

And while FAT32 is an old format, it's the only real choice if you want something that is plug-and-play readable on all common operating systems.
LOL you didn't understand what he was saying.

Big Ass Ramp said:
ok good. no I think it's just for the serial number and whatnot.

It's for a SIM card slot as the Wifi TP shares the same case as the 3G model. For Wifi owners (the vast majority), it's a plastic serial number obfuscater (official HP term, look it up).

Big Ass Ramp said:
FJwwZ.jpg

do your guys touchpad have this little thing that pops out? may be a stupid question, but I can't find any documentation on it. not pictured on any of the official photos or included in the manual.
It's a SIM card placeholder.

Downhome

As far as overclocking goes, I was also using uberkernal to OC to 1.5, and there was a big difference from how the TP originally came.

You can also OC to 1.7 using Warthog, which is what I'm doing now. Yet another huge increase in speed and everything.

You can also bump it up to 1.8/1.9 using F15C Eagle (TouchPad), but I haven't tried that one yet. I think 1.7 is plenty fast enough for me.

Birbo

Ugh. I cannot get Machinarium to run! Tried a few times last night, but kept getting a white screen. So frustrating.

Really enjoying my Touchpad so far. Like others, I'm looking for any cheap case recommendations that'll work with the Touchstone (that I don't own..yet).

kehs

Banned
Tapiozona said:
Sucks it'll never be honeycomb. Just another phone based OS.

If they get AOSP Gingerbread running on it, you'll most definitely be able to load up a Honeycomb port/hack.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
butter_stick said:
At the risk of sounding ignorant, aside from app support how much better is Android than webOS?

android certainly seems faster, and I like the pull down notifications. Obviously, I think the biggest advantage is the app selection and support. Other than that I think they're pretty similar.

oh and fuck this cache thing could not figure out why gaf wouldn't update....

My only needs are:

Speed up the browser
Turn off browser caching
Netflix app
HBO GO app

If I have to wait for ICS to get those, then so be it. however, if the community or HP step up and deliver those within WebOs, I'll stay with it. I like the interface, notification and some of the native apps.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
butter_stick said:
At the risk of sounding ignorant, aside from app support how much better is Android than webOS?
Android (especially 2.3.5 we'll be getting) is worse in essentially every way. But apps completely change how you interact with your device, so Android still wins out in the end.

RukusProvider said:
My only needs are:

Speed up the browser
Turn off browser caching
Netflix app
HBO GO app

If I have to wait for ICS to get those, then so be it. however, if the community or HP step up and deliver those within WebOs, I'll stay with it. I like the interface, notification and some of the native apps.
If someone can fix the cache thing I'd probably just stick with webOS.

Erekiddo

Anyone throwing screen protectors onto these things? I attempted one, but didn't like the way it looked. I don't want to waste money on more protectors if the consensus is that it doesn't need one.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
NeoNess said:
Anyone throwing screen protectors onto these things? I attempted one, but didn't like the way it looked. I don't want to waste money on more protectors if the consensus is that it doesn't need one.
supposedly it uses gorilla glass which makes it pretty tough

Caoz

Caoz said:
Speaking of reviving. I shut down the touchpad this morning as it was running out of battery, now it doesn't want to turn on. Any suggestions ?

I will answer myself. Had a chat with support and they asked to hold on the menu and power buttons for 15 seconds. After doing this, a battery symbol with a red line in the bottom appeared, the support guy told me that it meant the device was being charged. Which means previous to me pushing the buttons even if it was connected, it was not charging.

Sure enough 20 mins later the TP turned on. Talking to a co-worker he told me that it is a known bug, which seems weird and I have not seen or heard about it before.

In my dreams, Google buys WebOS and integrates the Cards system in Android.. or better yet, integrates WebOS and Android so it can run both WebOS's Javascript apps and Android's Java apps.

I just really like Cards... I find myself instinctively swiping up to close programs on my Android phone, and even on my 3DS just now. :(

sfedai0

Banned
For those of you that installed Govnah, what is average temp? My TP gets pretty warm, up to 36 degrees. Is that cause I overclocked it to 1.5? I actually have both cores running at 1.5. I do have it sitting on the Touchstone most of the time too.

TehOh

For anybody wondering about the new OTA update and PreWare, you can go ahead and upgrade.

After the update is installed, you simply need to open up PreWare, go to updates, and update all of your patches. Afterwards, voila!

I was a little worried going into the update. Glad to see that it went smoothly.

TehOh

Also, since the official TouchPad case seems to be sold out everywhere, I picked up Griffin's "Elan Folio" case for the iPad. It fits perfectly, and all of the buttons/camera are visible. It folds back so that you can prop the TouchPad up and watch video.

http://store.griffintechnology.com/elan-folio-ipad

Great option. Feels nice to hold, and is pretty sturdy.

d[-_-]b

Banned
TehOh said:
Also, since the official TouchPad case seems to be sold out everywhere, I picked up Griffin's "Elan Folio" case for the iPad. It fits perfectly, and all of the buttons/camera are visible. It folds back so that you can prop the TouchPad up and watch video.

http://store.griffintechnology.com/elan-folio-ipad

Great option. Feels nice to hold, and is pretty sturdy.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...ryDetails&archetypeId=12334&accessoryId=46407
This is the one i got, it's okay, iunno if yours is better.

http://www.costcentral.com/proddetail/HP_Touchstone_Charging_Dock/FB339AAABA/11387528/froogle/
$49 charging dock at cost central iunno.

butter_stick said:

It's got some flexibility and other features like widgets, but it's so rough around the edges and the overall experience isn't as good as WebOS.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Marty Chinn said:
It's got some flexibility and other features like widgets, but it's so rough around the edges and the overall experience isn't as good as WebOS.
It's got more apps than WebOS.

Personally, I'd rather see a dual boot option.

Absinthe

After all the Preware patches, a new kernel, and the 1.5ghz over clock this thing is awesome.

Much faster, and pulling me away from my iPad with WebOS.

For web browsing, email, and other basic things, WebOS is superior to IOS IMO. If only they had a decent app store. This thing needs apps so bad it's ridiculous.

Hopefully HP will continue support for WebOS and get people to put some apps up now that there are loads of Touchpads out.

Vyer

So, this spare one that my mom was going to buy off me...yeah, that might not be happening.

Found my touchpad on the floor near my desk. Not sure how it fell, but it was like a pretty short fall onto carpet and I don't really see any damage of any sort at all....and now it seems to be randomly locking up and giving me the "Too Many Cards Open" when there's only one open.

LOfuckingL. Quite a fine bit of engineering there HP.

dream said:
How is webOS superior to iOS in browsing?

oh god, you're gonna say Flash aren't you?

Actually, I have to say having flash is nice to have. It's good going to sites and having them just work.

Having said that, I'd love for the browser to be faster and kill the caching.

Absinthe

dream said:
How is webOS superior to iOS in browsing?

oh god, you're gonna say Flash aren't you?

More ram honestly. Try loading the PC screenshot thread on your IOS device, it will only load about half of the page before running out of memory. On the touchpad it was able to load the entire 100 post page with all the images, not a bunch of "?" where the image should be.

Load up multiple tabs, like engadget, toucharcade, 9to5mac, and ars. Then select one, read for a while and go back to one of the others, it has to reload every time.

I haven't had this experience on the touchpad so far. It saves the sites much better in cache, reloads less often and is a better experience.

Sure the browser scrolling is a little buggy but at least it functions correctly by not reloading a site every time you go back to that tab. And flash is cool too, being able to check out comedy central or other sites that have TV shows is a welcome addition to any tablet.

Vyer

akmcbroom said:
More ram honestly. Try loading the PC screenshot thread on your IOS device, it will only load about half of the page before running out of memory. On the touchpad it was able to load the entire 100 post page with all the images, not a bunch of "?" where the image should be.

Load up multiple tabs, like engadget, toucharcade, 9to5mac, and ars. Then select one, read for a while and go back to one of the others, it has to reload every time.

I haven't had this experience on the touchpad so far. It saves the sites much better in cache, reloads less often and is a better experience.

Sure the scrolling is a little buggy but at least it functions correctly. And flash is cool too, being able to check out comedy central or other sites that have TV shows is a welcome addition to any tablet.

uh, the caching is horrible. You pretty much have to refresh constantly on a forum. And then some other things like homepages and bookmark management put it way, way behind.

There are several things I like better about WebOS. The browsing experience, IMO, is nowhere near one of them.

bob page

akmcbroom said:
After all the Preware patches, a new kernel, and the 1.5ghz over clock this thing is awesome.

Much faster, and pulling me away from my iPad with WebOS.

For web browsing, email, and other basic things, WebOS is superior to IOS IMO. If only they had a decent app store. This thing needs apps so bad it's ridiculous.

Hopefully HP will continue support for WebOS and get people to put some apps up now that there are loads of Touchpads out.

Uhh, I have my iPad 2 and TouchPad side by side right now loading the same page on GAF and the TouchPad takes almost twice as long to load. Not to mention scrolling on the page isn't nearly as fluid. I've never once had the tab reloading issue on my iPad 2, either (but it did happen on my OG iPad a lot).

Plus, the caching is as awful as people say. As the last poster said, I'd even go as far to say that browsing is one of the device's WORST aspects, even after the speed tweaks.

dream

I actually had a completely different result with the PC screenshot thread on my TouchPad. The first 10% of the page was fine but the rest of it was nonstop checkboarding.

Thank you for not saying Flash, by the way.

Absinthe

Vyer said:
uh, the caching is horrible. You pretty much have to refresh constantly on a forum. And then some other things like homepages and bookmark management put it way, way behind.

There are several things I like better about WebOS. The browsing experience, IMO, is nowhere near one of them.

I don't understand the "refresh constantly" complaint. On a forum I would have to refresh at any point to see the new posts right? On the secondapps neogaf app it seems to work great for me.

And yea, the homepage and bookmark management is not the best, but far behind? It's not like clicking the bookmark button takes that much longer than having to reload a page in IOS because it ran out of ram.

bob page said:
Uhh, I have my iPad 2 and TouchPad side by side right now loading the same page on GAF and the TouchPad takes almost twice as long to load. Not to mention scrolling on the page isn't nearly as fluid. I've never once had the tab reloading issue on my iPad 2, either (but it did happen on my OG iPad a lot).

Plus, the caching is as awful as people say. As the last poster said, I'd even go as far to say that browsing is one of the device's WORST aspects, even after the speed tweaks.

I only have an iPad 1 so that's my comparison and it does happen a lot and it's very frustrating. Try loading the PC screenshot thread with 100ppp on the iPad 2 and Touchpad and see if the iPad 2 can load the entire thing. I'm interested to see the results of how much better the iPad 2 is compared to the iPad 1.

I still don't understand the caching complaints. If you could explain a little as to what the issue is maybe I could see/notice it more.

Absinthe

dream said:
I actually had a completely different result with the PC screenshot thread on my TouchPad. The first 10% of the page was fine but the rest of it was nonstop checkboarding.

Thank you for not saying Flash, by the way.

You're welcome, although I did reference it. I have had every IOS device (except for the iPad 2) since the first iPhone and I love them, but there are just the few things I mentioned that have bothered me about IOS and web browsing.

I also love how in WebOS your links within email will open on the email tab and not interfere with your web browser. Makes it much easier to get around and keep apps organized.

bob page

akmcbroom said:
I only have an iPad 1 so that's my comparison and it does happen a lot and it's very frustrating. Try loading the PC screenshot thread with 100ppp on the iPad 2 and Touchpad and see if the iPad 2 can load the entire thing. I'm interested to see the results of how much better the iPad 2 is compared to the iPad 1.

I still don't understand the caching complaints. If you could explain a little as to what the issue is maybe I could see/notice it more.
The iPad 1 came out over a year before the TouchPad, so I wouldn't be surprised if the browsing is better on the TouchPad. But even the iPad 2 came out before the TouchPad but its experience is vastly superior. Going from the OG iPad to an iPad 2 was a huge improvement in terms of browsing.

But yeah, I do hope they fix the scrolling issues.

Top Bottom