• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

JBuccCP

I just went ahead and got kalemsoft. It's much smoother than touchplayer and has a better interface. It also lets you stream vids from your pc like air video on ios. It is pretty expensive though.

Purexed

Banned
I tried to make this a nice flash-enabled companion to my iPad2, but the flash video really stuttered at a pretty frequent clip, even with preware and speed tweaks enabled. it's a decent tablet, but completely second-tier even compared to the iPad 1. Congrats to the people enjoying it though, it's still a sweet bargain at $100 bucks.

Birbo

JBuccCP said:
I just went ahead and got kalemsoft. It's much smoother than touchplayer and has a better interface. It also lets you stream vids from your pc like air video on ios. It is pretty expensive though.

How much was it? And what kinds of files does it support?

Jo-El

TehOh said:
Also, since the official TouchPad case seems to be sold out everywhere, I picked up Griffin's "Elan Folio" case for the iPad. It fits perfectly, and all of the buttons/camera are visible. It folds back so that you can prop the TouchPad up and watch video.

http://store.griffintechnology.com/elan-folio-ipad

Great option. Feels nice to hold, and is pretty sturdy.

It's now $4.97 with free shipping.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...ryDetails&archetypeId=12334&accessoryId=46407

So no one else has this issue with the blurry pictures saved from the browser? im just trying to save pictures from my Flickr account to the Touchpad so i can set up as Wallpaper and it saves them with awful quality. So disappointing that something so simple doesnt work :(

Argyle

zephervack said:
So no one else has this issue with the blurry pictures saved from the browser? im just trying to save pictures from my Flickr account to the Touchpad so i can set up as Wallpaper and it saves them with awful quality. So disappointing that something so simple doesnt work :(
I don't use Flickr, but is the problem that you aren't seeing the full res shots in the browser (so you can't save them either)?

Doesn't look like it natively supports Flickr but it would work with Facebook, Photobucket, and Snapfish...you could also try putting stuff on Dropbox or Box.net if you don't want to plug it in.

Argyle said:
I don't use Flickr, but is the problem that you aren't seeing the full res shots in the browser (so you can't save them either)?

Doesn't look like it natively supports Flickr but it would work with Facebook, Photobucket, and Snapfish...you could also try putting stuff on Dropbox or Box.net if you don't want to plug it in.

I wasnt clear.

In Flickr inside the browser the picture displays at full resolution, even huge pictures, they look crisp and awesome....

So i tap and hold and i get the pop up to save to my Pictures, so i save it and when i go to the Pictures app to set up this picture as wallpaper, it is the same pictures but blurry and low resolution :(

Same happens when i take a screenshot of WebOS (power + home)

Doopliss

zephervack said:
I wasnt clear.

In Flickr inside the browser the picture displays at full resolution, even huge pictures, they look crisp and awesome....

So i tap and hold and i get the pop up to save to my Pictures, so i save it and when i go to the Pictures app to set up this picture as wallpaper, it is the same pictures but blurry and low resolution :(

Same happens when i take a screenshot of WebOS (power + home)
There's a patch in preware to add a 'download link' option to the long press menu in the browser. Might be worth trying that if have a direct link to the image.

Doopliss said:
There's a patch in preware to add a 'download link' option to the long press menu in the browser. Might be worth trying that if have a direct link to the image.

Thank you, i will look for this when i do the overclocking and preware installation

neonglow

Dreams-Visions said:
how are you buying it? I was told it was out of stock and there's no way to add it to the cart. not 20 minutes ago.

It's kinda tricky due to the weird cart system.

1. Click select device
2. Click see more device
3. Pick iPad
4. Transfer to new page and click view all next to "All Accesories" section
5. Add the case on the following page

neonglow said:

1. Click select device
2. Click see more device
3. Pick iPad
All you have to do is click the tab marked "Compatible Devices" right below the picture of it. Click on iPad and it allows you to add to cart.

neonglow

ErnieMcCracken said:
All you have to do is click the tab marked "Compatible Devices" right below the picture of it. Click on iPad and it allows you to add to cart.

Ah, your way is much more efficient.

freshair

I kind of want that case, but i love the bezel gesturing :C

So I ended up buying the official one from hp.com, but reviews have said that there's no clasp or magnets to keep it close. Has anyone modified it themselves or anything to remedy that?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I just use a 3 dollar neoprene 10 inch netbook sleeve to carry mine. Before I had an ipad case, I used to put my ipad 1 in there. Its perfect and low cost.

Downhome

Do you guys know if there are any different colored cases for this thing that work totally fine? I want to find one for my fiance, but I'm only seeing black. Are there any options out there?

Downhome said:
Do you guys know if there are any different colored cases for this thing that work totally fine? I want to find one for my fiance, but I'm only seeing black. Are there any options out there?
I ordered this one. Pretty sure it was mentioned earlier in this thread somewhere and figured I'd give it a shot.

joshschw said:
The pictures themselves save fine...
It's the broken photo/gallery viewer

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad/290416-photo-app-low-res-only.html

Oh wow, thanks for this, i searched on google and couldnt find anything. Thank you, this sucks because if you save a picture and then you set as wallpaper from the Photo App the resolution is aweful, im gonna have to email myself wallpapers and set them up from there :(

What a huge oversight, i was planning to use this a portfolio for photography, i cant now, unless i find a good photo app replacement

You can get Kalemsoft for free?

I now have 2 16 gig touchpads with a 32 gigger maybe in a week and a half......

Glad I'll be able to help out some friends with one

neonglow said:

1. Click select device
2. Click see more device
3. Pick iPad
Thanks for the hand-holding. Appreciate it.

I just noticed that the Ars Technica forums are treated correctly by the Touchpad's browser and refresh every time you load a page . I think there must be a flag that GAF needs to set to notify browsers this is a forum so never reload from cache.

Downhome

Ugh, I let my TP remain on last night and it's now dead. How long do you need to charge it before you can turn it on and use it while it charges?

Caoz

Downhome said:
Ugh, I let my TP remain on last night and it's now dead. How long do you need to charge it before you can turn it on and use it while it charges?

Mine would not start after the battery depleted. Turns out you need to connect it. then click on the power and "home" buttons for 15 seconds. You should then see a battery icon and it means its charging. 25 mins later I think it turns on by itself.

The app situation on these is obviously pretty rubbish, so I'm on the lookout for suggestions of decent webapps.

Anyone have some good ones they'd like to recommend?

Kalemsoft is kinda lame. It doesn't support subtitles which makes watching anime kind of difficult. Too bad too, because performance of the player itself has really improved with beta version 0.3.7 on their website and it plays 720p HD anime pretty well.

I've asked this a few times, but I wasn't sure if anyone knew the answer at the time. Is there a way that I can connect my Microsoft Wireless Keyboard to the touchpad via Bluetooth? The Touchpad recognized my keyboard, but I'm not really sure what the passkey is. I've looked everywhere, and even used the generic ones such as 0000 and 1234. Any ideas?

Vyer

got damn it, getting HBO go working consistently in this shitty browser is frustrating. Fuck would I kill for a dedicated app instead of this flash bullshit

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
is there a paint app for webOS? Just want something to draw floorplans with.

Vyer said:
got damn it, getting HBO go working consistently in this shitty browser is frustrating. Fuck would I kill for a dedicated app instead of this flash bullshit

overclock it. I can watch fullscreen flash videos without any stutter.

numble

I have one now. I was going to give it to my mom, but I think she hates it. She's used to watching video from iPad apps--the experience of having to use the browser+flash to go to those sites' websites is definitely inferior. Getting it to focus on and "click" the fullscreen button is frustrating, especially since they're in different places on different players, and trying to click the tiny "X" on "pop-up" flash ads (the ones that overlay the screen) seems to result in clicking the ad 2/3 times, leading to the browser opening a new window that must be dismissed. Trying to flash forward was also a no go. "No wonder nobody bought this thing" was her reaction.

Joe

how are those cases from Verizon? I don't want to order just because its cheap I want a pretty nice/decent case.

Jo-El said:

I just grabbed one of these too. With my 25% accessories discount due to corporate plan, I paid $3.73 + tax. Nice.

I also have one of these:
https://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c...ryDetails&archetypeId=12333&accessoryId=46406

If you just want a sleeve to slip the Touchpad into instead of a case, this thing works great. It fits mine perfectly. I'm switching to the case because being able to prop it up for viewing is something I really want.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
The Big Rig said:
Does anyone have any trouble tying on the Touchpad? I'm wondering whether I need to buy a keyboard.
It's easier to type on an iPad and iPhone, which I am doing right now than to type on the touchpad.

jgkspsx

neojubei said:
It's easier to type on an iPad and iPhone, which I am doing right now than to type on the touchpad.
I'm really happy with the virtual keyboard. I get great speeds and I love having the number/punctuation row.

Now, I really wish the autocorrect had rule overrides or something. It keeps capitalizing words after my... Ellipses.

Birbo

My official HP case arrived yesterday. Ordered it from CostCentral.com for $25 shipped. When I ordered it, they had a counter saying how many they had in stock. But right after submitting, I got an email saying they didn't know when I'd get my item due to stocking issues from HP. WTF? Your inventory tracker said you had them in stock; that's why I ordered with you!

So over the course of the week, I looked at getting a different case. Tried ordering a Targas one off of the HP site, but the checkout screen kept crapping out on me. Decided I didn't really want a cumbersome folio, so I decided to go with one of those carbon fiber armor backings. Was about to pull the trigger on one when I logged into my account at CostCentral to cancel my order of the official case. Turns out not only had my order been processed and shipped, it would be waiting for me at home.

So short story long, I'm very pleased with the official case. Very lightweight and adds just the right amount of protection. Don't know if I'd pay much more for it, but if you can find a deal on one, grab it.Now if I could just find a Touchstone for a reasonable price.

As to the Touchpad itself, after a week of ownership, I'm still pleased with it, especially for the price. I keep it handy mainly to surf the net while my wife & I relax watching TV at night. Really starting to feel lack of apps though. Would love to get some Plants VS Zombie action and a Spotify app.

Top Bottom