• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Mission said:
A friend also told me about Orb Live / Orb Caster.

I think he said it basically sets up a web page similar to YouTube and you are connecting to that. I was trying to figure out which part you have to pay for, but I think it's only for set top box thing that you connect your TV to.
I got this working pretty nicely, all for free following one of the guides at precentral.

I also got Kalemsoft working pretty much perfectly for free by downloading the player and streaming server from Kalemsoft.com. Quality of the streaming video is AMAZING. To the guy having trouble with it, was that with streaming? I'm running the streaming off a 5 year old laptop with no issues.

What does the paid version of the Kalemsoft player add?? I can't really see needing anything else, although, one gripe is the fact that the video stops in card mode. With OrbCaster it keeps playing which is nice. Also, wish I could get rid of the left hand menu in windowed mode. Other than those 2 minor gripes, it's great.

sfedai0

Banned
I think the paid version of Kalemsoft works offline as well. I have a really small collection of movies and theyre all in MP4 format already cause of DLNA, so I dont really need Kalemsoft.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
TheOMan said:
Thanks dude! How were you informed of this?
I'm following Palm on Twitter, and they mentioned they would be doing an app giveaway sometime soon, so I kept an eye out on their blog's RSS feed.

OCed to 1.7ghz now with the Warthog kernel. It really flies at this speed with all the patches installed. Hooray for Preware!

bHome is a pretty awesome uPNP streamer. Not much use if I'm not at home, though. Sigh.

plc268

Jo-El said:
The overall presentation of Big Boss is fantastic. The gameplay is terrible though :/

I completely agree. From the screenshots it looks like a castle crashers clone, but in practice it's terribly shallow and boring.

I picked up Asphalt 6 off the store for $5, and that game is more fun than NFS Hot Pursuit, and half the price. Runs great and looks great.

Firestorm

How come I can't connect to their servers to download the 3.0.2 68 update? Is something wrong right now?

Also is it just me or is the official case terrible? How was this $50? I bought it for $20 and I feel like returning it...

Firestorm

Unknown Soldier said:
Get the clearance iPad cases at Verizon, they are a steal at $5.
I'm in Canada. I'm usually not big on cases but I figured the official case would have some quality to it and be a steal for $20. It was open box though. Maybe someone replaced it with a cheap Chinese knock-off...

I'm really enjoying webOS so far. It doesn't feel cluttered like a lot of the android tablets. The notifications are great. App store has some stuff I like (Pandora, decent media player, tunin radio, kindle etc.), but I want more. Any recommendations?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
butter_stick said:
Yeah Big Boss is shit.

You should all download Robotek HD if you haven't. I promise you it is well worth the asking price of $0.00

I have to admit that game is additive. I even downloaded Robotek HD to my iphone and ipad.

There has to be a better way to get free, paid, apps on the store. How about making the paid apps free for a period of time like iOS. Is it really that hard?

Bazhard

Banned
jgkspsx said:
Thing is, they will come down in price when they can't sell them. The bigger concern is meeting somebody from craigslist with $200 cash. A lot of ways for that to end poorly...
Apparently you don't do a whole of craiglisting.

I have been buying/selling for years on it, upwards to 600-800 dollars worth of stuff, yeah.. if you meet someone in a fucking ally at 3am it might go badly, meet in public in the afternoon like a mall parking lot, i run my own business so i just meet there and i have a license to carry a loaded 9mm.

im not scared of someone from craigslist.

dream

Firestorm said:
I'm in Canada. I'm usually not big on cases but I figured the official case would have some quality to it and be a steal for $20. It was open box though. Maybe someone replaced it with a cheap Chinese knock-off...

No, it really is that cheap. Mine's starting to warp and fall apart after a week. I would replace it with an old iPad case but I feel like the squalid case that is falling apart just completes the webOS experience for me.

Those Touchdroid guys are working fast. Nice.

I've successfully OCed it to 1.8ghz. It's getting pretty crazy now, I can almost play high-bitrate 720p videos perfectly smoothly with Kalemsoft. The F4 Phantom kernel I'm using now also enables full-time dual-core, instead of shutting one core entirely off like the Touchpad does by default when CPU load is below a certain level. It seems to feel much smoother with both cores enabled at the same time, though obviously at the expense of battery life.

SRG01

Unknown Soldier said:
Those Touchdroid guys are working fast. Nice.

I've successfully OCed it to 1.8ghz. It's getting pretty crazy now, I can almost play high-bitrate 720p videos perfectly smoothly with Kalemsoft. The F4 Phantom kernel I'm using now also enables full-time dual-core, instead of shutting one core entirely off like the Touchpad does by default when CPU load is below a certain level. It seems to feel much smoother with both cores enabled at the same time, though obviously at the expense of battery life.

If the Touchdroid guys knew better, they'd take the HTC Flyer Honeycomb ROM and use that one for the Touchpad...

Chesskid1

Banned
i get a hot spot on the back of the unit once in a while, in a certain spot. dunno what causes it. i'm not overclocked.

normal? i think it happens mostly when charging, so maybe battery?

good news about the touchscreen :D

Karish

Today I sold my iPad for 300. Using my $99 Touchpad for hours tonight, I have really really fallen in love with it.

Shadowlink said:
Overclocked my Touchpad to 1.5 GHZ. For those who did 1.7, is it safe?

I'm at 1.8 now and I just watched a 5-minute long 720p video and it didn't crash. There seems to be a lot of headroom on the Qualcomm APQ8060, one of the development ROMs is at 1.9 already. I'm sure that some people with good Touchpads will have no problem running at 2.0 GHz.

Chesskid1 said:
i get a hot spot on the back of the unit once in a while, in a certain spot. dunno what causes it. i'm not overclocked.

normal? i think it happens mostly when charging, so maybe battery?

good news about the touchscreen :D

The hot spot has to be the SoC because it gets hot when you are using it for something cpu-intensive like video playback.

Takuya

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
I'm at 1.8 now and I just watched a 5-minute long 720p video and it didn't crash. There seems to be a lot of headroom on the Qualcomm APQ8060, one of the development ROMs is at 1.9 already.
What's the deal with Kalemsoft player? It has difficulties playing 720p videos, but the default video & photo viewer for the Touchpad can play 1080p files fine.

Chesskid1

Banned
Takuya said:
What's the deal with Kalemsoft player? It has difficulties playing 720p videos, but the default video & photo viewer for the Touchpad can play 1080p files fine.

the built in player uses hardware acceleration. kalemsoft media player uses software acceleration.

-Chesskid1

8k5Rq.gif

Takuya

Banned
Chesskid1 said:
the built in player uses hardware acceleration. kalemsoft media player uses software acceleration.
Ah... Well, I guess the only reason you'd use it is for its broader filetype support. But the performance is lacking.

Takuya said:
Ah... Well, I guess the only reason you'd use it is for its broader filetype support. But the performance is lacking.

Unfortunately, the built-in player only supports H.264/AAC in the mp4 container format. We can thank Steve Jobs for that shit, all the mobile devices default only to supporting that particular combination because that's what the iPhone/iPad only support.

As with the Android devices, all the third-party players can only use the CPUs for video playback and are denied access to the GPU for video playback acceleration. Which is bullshit because all the modern mobile SoCs have hardware H.264 decoders on board the GPUs which can playback almost anything short of Blu-ray spec 1080p H.264.

Kalemsoft 0.37 beta, which you can get on their website or on Preware if you've enabled the development/testing feeds, is way better than the 0.34 version on the HP App Store. I can ALMOST playback perfectly a test video using 720p WMV/WMA at a bitrate which often goes as high as 16mbps. Touchpad can play back the 720p anime mkvs I'm using as a test fine with 0.37 beta at 1.8 Ghz but they still need to implement support for subtitles. :|

One good thing about Windows is that you can hook into the hardware acceleration built-in to desktop GPUs simply by hooking into DXVA or using pixel shaders, it's all abstracted for you. These mobile OSes need you to directly access the driver for the GPU acceleration and since nobody has documented that, only the built-in players which support only 1 particular combination of codec and container can access it. So the Adreno 220 on our Touchpads is sitting there twiddling it's thumbs while the CPU is being crushed trying to decode video in software.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Soldier can you give me the links of the sites that have all these performance and oc'ing upgrades bro?

Thanks

I want to optimize my TP.

Slayer-33 said:
Soldier can you give me the links of the sites that have all these performance and oc'ing upgrades bro?

Thanks

I want to optimize my TP.

How to install WebOS Quick Intstall and Preware:
http://forums.precentral.net/hp-tou...all-webosquickinstaller-preware-touchpad.html

WQI lets you sideload apps you download on your PC, Preware lets you sideload them directly to the Touchpad.

How to enable development and testing feeds:
http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Testing_Feeds

You need to enable webos-testing-all, webos-testing-armv7, and webos-kernels-testing to get all the goodies.

One thing I've really been impressed with is the touchpad's audio. Both the built-in stereo speakers and the headphone jack produce good quality audio. I don't believe in that Beats audio hype but it does seem like HP invested in some good hardware there.

antonz

Unknown Soldier said:
One thing I've really been impressed with is the touchpad's audio. Both the built-in stereo speakers and the headphone jack produce good quality audio. I don't believe in that Beats audio hype but it does seem like HP invested in some good hardware there.
Yep beats audio was a wise investment. Its really a solid system and a few friends with laptops using beats are super impressed with them too

some times the touch screen freezes for a second and does not respond specially in typing or pressing button. Does it happen to anyone else?

crazy monkey said:
some times the touch screen freezes for a second and does not respond specially in typing or pressing button. Does it happen to anyone else?

Happens to me sometimes when typing, it's annoying.

Vyer

crazy monkey said:
I don't think I've had any actual freezes/locks(at least not related to typing) but yeah sometimes the keyboard seems to miss some presses.

<Darkice> i got the drivers from cypress
<Oroku_Saki> Woot Woot!
<Oroku_Saki> Yeeeeee Haaaaa!
<victor2011> woohoo
<Darkice> In fact before HP refreshing their webOS image, all HP touchpad TSP controller board were used Android to run the MFG procedure. Attached file is the latest TMA395 Android driver. The significant difference is that the HP touchpad TSP controller firmware has no bootloader support so when you want to bring up the device with this driver a little effort need be cost take care of this difference. This job has been done by HP software
<Darkice> thats what they told me
<Darkice> uploading the file now
<Darkice> https://rapidshare.com/files/4039948189/CY_I2CDRIVER_v11.zip
<To1776> What does it mean in English?
<Oroku_Saki> multi touch will start to work with that file
Source: IRC (#touchdroid)

tino

Banned
I am really glad google started their mobile OS project with a quasi open source license.

So many abandon ware will be saved by porting them to Android. My HD2 shed a tear.

Chesskid1

Banned
Computer said:
Source: IRC (#touchdroid)

very awesome, thanks for keeping track. has it been pretty much confirmed its real? hopefully someone posts that up at xda-developers and rootzwiki if so :)

i'm guessing development will start to fly because the touchscreen was the "major hurdle" and now they can just tweak stuff.

edit: ahh everyone in IRC is talking about it right now. i'll watch.

Top Bottom