• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Argyle

Birbo said:
My official HP case arrived yesterday. Ordered it from CostCentral.com for $25 shipped. When I ordered it, they had a counter saying how many they had in stock. But right after submitting, I got an email saying they didn't know when I'd get my item due to stocking issues from HP. WTF? Your inventory tracker said you had them in stock; that's why I ordered with you!

So over the course of the week, I looked at getting a different case. Tried ordering a Targas one off of the HP site, but the checkout screen kept crapping out on me. Decided I didn't really want a cumbersome folio, so I decided to go with one of those carbon fiber armor backings. Was about to pull the trigger on one when I logged into my account at CostCentral to cancel my order of the official case. Turns out not only had my order been processed and shipped, it would be waiting for me at home.

So short story long, I'm very pleased with the official case. Very lightweight and adds just the right amount of protection. Don't know if I'd pay much more for it, but if you can find a deal on one, grab it.Now if I could just find a Touchstone for a reasonable price.

As to the Touchpad itself, after a week of ownership, I'm still pleased with it, especially for the price. I keep it handy mainly to surf the net while my wife & I relax watching TV at night. Really starting to feel lack of apps though. Would love to get some Plants VS Zombie action and a Spotify app.
You can get Spotify on there, try Googling for directions, it's a bit of a pain in the ass.

it works well once you get it installed but you must be a subscriber to use it, just like the mobile apps on other platforms...

I bought the official protection case for the HP touchpad, it is so awesome.

I've been using it for 2 days now...it's really a great device, and it's way too bad that webOS won't be supported anymore, I like it more than iOs. There was still room for improvement.

Can't wait for the Android port with double boot :)

Also, I know it won't read mkv files out of the box (that would've been surprising) but it should read *.avi, but my file doesn't show up in the Pictures/Videos manager...is there a specific folder where to put it ? Thanks.

Birbo

Tribes of Trusty said:
Also, I know it won't read mkv files out of the box (that would've been surprising) but it should read *.avi, but my file doesn't show up in the Pictures/Videos manager...is there a specific folder where to put it ? Thanks.

I downloaded the free version of Kalemsoft and avi files work with that.

MIMIC

Banned
How are downloads supposed to work on the Touchpad? I tried to download something off of megaupload, and the file appeared in the left-side pane for a few minutes (with no indication of approximate download time) then disappeared.

EDIT: N/M. Other than the lack of an approximate download time, I see that downloads only appear in the pane associated with the original window (which is kinda dumb).

TehOh

Argyle said:
You can get Spotify on there, try Googling for directions, it's a bit of a pain in the ass.

it works well once you get it installed but you must be a subscriber to use it, just like the mobile apps on other platforms...

Oh crap, I need to install this when I get home. I was depressed at the lack of Spotify.

FooTemps

Great, I was installing a screen protector and got some of the liquid under the glass... The touchscreen freaked out when I turned it on and now it's not responding.

Would letting it dry out bring it back to life?

sfedai0

Banned
FooTemps said:
Great, I was installing a screen protector and got some of the liquid under the glass... The touchscreen freaked out when I turned it on and now it's not responding.

Would letting it dry out bring it back to life?

Uh, how the hell did you get liquid under the glass???

FooTemps

sfedai0 said:
Uh, how the hell did you get liquid under the glass???

TBH I have no clue how it got around like that, but I knew it was the case because the touchscreen was showing touch ripples all long the edge of the screen and it was freaking out. Apparently I also got water into the power button. That's what I get for trying to reapply the protector... Caught a couple pieces of dust under the film and retried instead of leaving it alone.

Pretty sure I didn't dry it off fast enough when reapplying and it got in from somewhere.

Krakatoa

This free if anyone wants it.

AudiophileProHD is free hurry before it expires

Use code

ebmxr53816hugpb

Or goto the pivot catalog on page 26 and download from there

Grabbed it from Slickdeals.

Sorry if it's already been posted.

sfedai0

Banned
FooTemps said:
TBH I have no clue how it got around like that, but I knew it was the case because the touchscreen was showing touch ripples all long the edge of the screen and it was freaking out. Apparently I also got water into the power button. That's what I get for trying to reapply the protector... Caught a couple pieces of dust under the film and retried instead of leaving it alone.

Pretty sure I didn't dry it off fast enough when reapplying and it got in from somewhere.

The glass is Gorilla glass. Its totally scratch proof. No need to put a condom on it.

Jo-El

Krakatoa said:

Use code

ebmxr53816hugpb

Grabbed it. Thanks!

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
How do you use codes?

Edit: Nevermind. Had to give my credit card info. Thanks for the free app!

Edit2: Audobon Birds is no longer showing up in the app store?

Delio

Krakatoa said:

Use code

ebmxr53816hugpb

Ty for this!

Cruzader

Banned
Jesus Carbomb said:
How do you use codes?
you have to have your CC info on the device...only way to enter codes...sucks since I dont want to accidentally buy apps. Anyone know a fake number that it'll take? Tried an expired giftcard but it wont take it.

Mission

Ronabo said:
Yeah how do you use codes? And I can't find that bird app. Would really love that.

A said, you have to have an account set up.
Go to the page for the app, and click on the Price. In my case I wasn't logged into the account so it asked me to log in.
It brings up a confirm screen which has a "Use Promo Code" button on it. Press that and enter the promo code. Then Press "Use Promo Code" button again to initiate it.

How to use promo codes

Vyer

Big Ass Ramp said:
is there a paint app for webOS? Just want something to draw floorplans with.

overclock it. I can watch fullscreen flash videos without any stutter.
The performance of the video really isn't the problem.

Also, re: that bird app. It kinda sucks. I actually had to wait through a several minute loading screen (not the install) when starting it up. And the performance is lackluster once it does. I'd have been pissed if is have paid 15 bucks for it.

Heysoos

So trying to set up the TouchPad for my dad, have a few questions..
1) How do I use the camera?
2) Where do I store the music? :/
3) Besides downloading updates is there anything else I should do to it? Keep in mind this is only going to be used for light browsing, Facebook, and music. Those small things.

Heysoos said:
2) Where do I store the music? :/
3) Besides downloading updates is there anything else I should do to it? Keep in mind this is only going to be used for light browsing, Facebook, and music. Those small things.

1) Only used with Skype, I think
2) Just create a music folder on the drive in Windows and copy stuff in there.
3) Overclocking, I guess. It only makes things better. Check out the OP if you want to.

jgkspsx

Heysoos said:
Get the Camera for Touchpad app.I think it's 99 cents still.

By the way, if you missed it, the Audubon Bird Guide is on sale for $5. And I did pay $15 for a copy a few days ago for my dad. Argh. Oh well, I think it's really awesome. If you've ever tried to identify birds from a paper guide, you will understand why this is such an important thing to have portable. Sure, there may be better apps for iOS, but I don't have that, and neither does he.

Preware is pretty sweet. And the Box cloud storage is really nice. The Touchpad came with a really nice package of software.

One complaint: Why can't I organize the order of my bookmarks?

I just received my touchpad today via The Shopping Channel. I read through this entire thread to get me up to speed on what this thing can and can't do and now after a few hours of playing around with the touchpad I have a few questions of my own to add:

1. I'm a little confused on Kalemsoft. A number of people have mentioned that the free version is rubbish. Is the paid version really worth it in comparison? Also, I've seen a few complaints stating that it only works if you have an internet connection. I'm thinking that this can't possibly be true, but I did not see anyone respond to those assertions. Can someone clarify?
2. Is there a way to auto organize your apps somehow? I want them to be alphabetical but the only thing I can manage to do is move them around manually one by one.
3. Pandora, I downloaded the app but am being told that it does not work in my region(Canada). I registered everything as U.S., so did I do something wrong when registering or is the app looking at my IP address for country of origin?
4. I keep my pictures organized by years. A main picture folder with subfolders organized by year, and each "Year" folder holding multiple folders representing specific events. I threw the "Year" folders onto the touchpad but in the pictures folder the touchpad is not maintaining my organization--each event folder is listed but they are not under the "Year" folder I transferred them under. Any work around other than manually creating a folder for the specific years and dragging in the appropriate subfolders?

If anyone is able to help, thanks in advance.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Steriletom said:
I just received my touchpad today via The Shopping Channel. I read through this entire thread to get me up to speed on what this thing can and can't do and now after a few hours of playing around with the touchpad I have a few questions of my own to add:

1. I'm a little confused on Kalemsoft. A number of people have mentioned that the free version is rubbish. Is the paid version really worth it in comparison? Also, I've seen a few complaints stating that it only works if you have an internet connection. I'm thinking that this can't possibly be true, but I did not see anyone respond to those assertions. Can someone clarify?
2. Is there a way to auto organize your apps somehow? I want them to be alphabetical but the only thing I can manage to do is move them around manually one by one.
3. Pandora, I downloaded the app but am being told that it does not work in my region(Canada). I registered everything as U.S., so did I do something wrong when registering or is the app looking at my IP address for country of origin?
4. I keep my pictures organized by years. A main picture folder with subfolders organized by year, and each "Year" folder holding multiple folders representing specific events. I threw the "Year" folders onto the touchpad but in the pictures folder the touchpad is not maintaining my organization--each event folder is listed but they are not under the "Year" folder I transferred them under. Any work around other than manually creating a folder for the specific years and dragging in the appropriate subfolders?

If anyone is able to help, thanks in advance.

1: That is true for the free version, paid version you can use when not online
2: not sure i've just been doing it manually
3: not sure am australian!
4: not sure >_>

I tried to be helpful lol

Vyer

Looks like Costcentral came through with the case, Marty. Not too bad, though the 'flap' that covers feels a litle flimsy when pulled back.

HolyCheck said:
1: That is true for the free version, paid version you can use when not online
2: not sure i've just been doing it manually
3: not sure am australian!
4: not sure >_>

I tried to be helpful lol

You answered the one question that was the most important, so it's all good.

I downloaded the paid version of kalemsoftware but it's not recognizing my DIVX movies. Anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

Mission

A friend also told me about Orb Live / Orb Caster.

I think he said it basically sets up a web page similar to YouTube and you are connecting to that. I was trying to figure out which part you have to pay for, but I think it's only for set top box thing that you connect your TV to.

jgkspsx

Bazhard said:
Wish i could find one, but shit heads around here bought them all up and marked them up 200% on craigslist.

assholes.
Thing is, they will come down in price when they can't sell them. The bigger concern is meeting somebody from craigslist with $200 cash. A lot of ways for that to end poorly...

elty

Anyone know if Kalemsoft player works with PS3mediaserver? I already have it running as a service on my home server.

Blackhead

Redarse
jgkspsx said:
Thing is, they will come down in price when they can't sell them. The bigger concern is meeting somebody from craigslist with $200 cash. A lot of ways for that to end poorly...
how likely is that though? People buy and sell lots of more expensive stuff on Craigslist...

jgkspsx said:

Don't be an idiot and meet in a really public place with plenty of security cameras.

Birbo

Ok, all of a sudden, when I drag a card down, it makes a sound like a rubberband stretching, and when I let it go, it makes a "Whoppie!" sound.
What gives?

kehs

Banned
jgkspsx said:

I've sold items nearing $400 per sale on craigslist numerous times. All parties involved are still alive as far as I know.

Takuya

Banned
jgkspsx said:
Meet at a mall, in front of security. Or in front of a police station. It's a legal sale of 'used' or 'pre-owned' goods, but your safety is pretty much guaranteed at that point.

Top Bottom