• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Chesskid1 said:
very awesome, thanks for keeping track. has it been pretty much confirmed its real? hopefully someone posts that up at xda-developers and rootzwiki if so :)

i'm guessing development will start to fly because the touchscreen was the "major hurdle" and now they can just tweak stuff.

edit: ahh everyone in IRC is talking about it right now. i'll watch.

Yeah, it's not done. Nor is it even implemented yet. But it's the driver for the touchscreen that HP used (with Android) during development. It's not exactly plug-and-play so to speak, but it's good news.

They basically just asked Cyrpess, and Cypress gave it to them.

The readme from the driver package said:
Betreff: WG: CY8CTMA395 Android Drivers

Anlagen: CY_I2CDRIVER_v11.zip

Hi, xxx

In fact before HP refreshing their webOS image, all HP touchpad TSP controller board were used Android to run the MFG procedure. Attached file is the latest TMA395 Android driver. The significant difference is that the HP touchpad TSP controller firmware has no bootloader support so when you want to bring up the device with this driver a little effort need be cost take care of this difference. This job has been done by HP software team before.

Best regards

Luther

Luther,

Can you contact this person and see how to help him?

You might want to highlight that the HP team in shanghai used Android for manufacturing purposes.

Derek

Sent from my iPhone

The Big Rig said:
Is there a reason I have to refresh every page that I've already been to? Is the cache system on the browser not that smart?

It has very aggressive browser caching, and yes, it's annoying. Here's hoping that it gets patched.

The Big Rig said:
Is there a reason I have to refresh every page that I've already been to? Is the cache system on the browser not that smart?
It does that shit on my Touchpad too and it's seriously fucking annoying.

Doopliss

gregor7777 said:
Yeah, it's not done. Nor is it even implemented yet. But it's the driver for the touchscreen that HP used (with Android) during development. It's not exactly plug-and-play so to speak, but it's good news.

They basically just asked Cyrpess, and Cypress gave it to them.
That's jolly decent of them.

letsbereasonable said:
It has very aggressive browser caching, and yes, it's annoying. Here's hoping that it gets patched.

Agreed. IT SUCKS. Such a terrible decision.

It does it on pages like USA Today, GAF webapp, etc. It can't be said enough, it's the worst thing about the TP.

Is there a fix in Preware? I assume not yet.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Rather annoyingly WebOS' browser renders my blog wrong as well. I've not encountered any other browsers with this problem, even my iPhone loads my page properly.

dream

Great King Bowser said:
Rather annoyingly WebOS' browser renders my blog wrong as well. I've not encountered any other browsers with this problem, even my iPhone loads my page properly.

Yeah, webOS has always had the worst implementation of WebKit. It's kind of ironic considering Palm has always liked to brag about how webOS is built on web technologies.

-dream
8k5Rq.gif

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Chesskid1 said:
the built in player uses hardware acceleration. kalemsoft media player uses software acceleration.

-Chesskid1

8k5Rq.gif
what is going on here?

We adding signatures to posts now?

giga

I let some of my family have a go at the Touchpad and every time I come back a while later I see 10+ cards hanging around just bogging down the system. Users shouldn't have to worry about memory management.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
giga said:
I let some of my family have a go at the Touchpad and every time I come back a while later I see 10+ cards hanging around just bogging down the system. Users shouldn't have to worry about memory management.

dream said:
Yeah, webOS has always had the worst implementation of WebKit. It's kind of ironic considering Palm has always liked to brag about how webOS is built on web technologies.

-dream
http://i.imgur.com/8k5Rq.gif[/IM][/QUOTE]
to be fair, they probably had the smallest and least capable web browser teams of all possible contenders.

and no, those sig things are dumb. please stop doing it.

dream

I just closed my browser while a Flash video was playing and it KEPT PLAYING ANYWAY.

I literally have no browser window open right now but the Flash video is still playing and I can't kill the process because there is no browser window for me to force kill.

kehs

Banned
dream said:
I just closed my browser while a Flash video was playing and it KEPT PLAYING ANYWAY.

I literally have no browser window open right now but the Flash video is still playing and I can't kill the process because there is no browser window for me to force kill.

And they say Flash is dead. Hah!

dream said:

That happens to me too. Can't wait for the Android port. webOS is so shitty.

dream

So I let the phantom Flash video play because I was amused by how webOS was truly multitasking the full web for me and all of a sudden it stopped playing audio and now I have no sound in any app at all.

I finally got my TP up and running today. I was lucky enough to get one from Argos during the first few days of the UK firesale.

I'm already a convert to my iPad2 and have jumped headfirst into Apples warm embrace, finally stopped fighting itunes and got 2 airport expresses for streaming music round the house

For the price the TP was too good to ignore, much better than forking out for another iPad, but able to perform most of the duties.

Being late to the party, it only took about 30mins to update WebOS, then another hour to perform all the preware patches and overclocking. It all seemed pretty straight forward following the precentral guide.

I've been using it all day, no lockup, or crashes. Speed seems comparable the the ipad2. I've downloaded some apps, and for the price am very happy.

The things I've noticed so far:

Miss smooth web page scrolling
Miss the Return to top on web page
No magnifying glass for precision text editing. (writing this post on the TP has been a real pain)
But I do like the virtual keyboard, much better than iOS.
I like the Cards interface, it does appear to be more multitasking friendly
What is up with the cut'n'paste commands in the web address bar? it took a few attempts to get the promo code process, because it was so fiddly copying the codes
The two UPnP apps seem a little flaky, I was hoping to be able to access my PS3media server for streaming media, also desperately need something like File Browser for SAMBA access to my server and a Windows Remote Desktop App would be nice .
I like the spell checker fuzzy logic much less annoying than in iOS.

Here are the apps I've installed so far:
Kindle
TuneIn Radio
TED
Box
Sky News
Weatherbug
UPnP AV player
Bhome UPnP player

numble

dream said:

This happened to me too. Had to throw away the entire browser to get it to stop.

Also I think the browser opens popups, and opens them as separate cards. My mom tried to play some video on some site and it was playing but buried among a bunch of cards.

I think I've been right in my evaluation of cards from the beginning. It's more work for not much extra benefit. Example on the iPhone or iPad I always have 1Password either on my first screen of multitask apps, or my second screen. I need to get to it for everything from iTunes, Amazon, social networking and bank passwords. On iPad or iPhone, I need to double-click home (or swipe up on iPad) and either press the 1Password icon or swipe to the left one and press the icon, enter my password, select and copy the password I need, and bring up the multitask tray again, and the app I need will be the very first icon in the tray. There isn't 1Password for webOS, but if I needed it, I would press Home or swipe up, and then swipe several times to the 1Password app, and then tap it, copy the password I need, go back to cards, and then swipe several times to get back to the app I need.

Finally I don't see the need for some things to have their windows open, like music players. It just adds cards that I need to swipe through, and they won't play unless I have it open.

dream

No argument here, numbler. The more complicated your workflow gets, the more cumbersome cards become. It's just not a metaphor that scales well.

dream said:

Happened to me today as well. I could hear it playing, but had no cards active.

giga said:

Awesome sig. hope this catches on.

Blackhead

Redarse
numble said:
This happened to me too. Had to throw away the entire browser to get it to stop.

Also I think the browser opens popups, and opens them as separate cards. My mom tried to play some video on some site and it was playing but buried among a bunch of cards.

I think I've been right in my evaluation of cards from the beginning. It's more work for not much extra benefit. Example on the iPhone or iPad I always have 1Password either on my first screen of multitask apps, or my second screen. I need to get to it for everything from iTunes, Amazon, social networking and bank passwords. On iPad or iPhone, I need to double-click home (or swipe up on iPad) and either press the 1Password icon or swipe to the left one and press the icon, enter my password, select and copy the password I need, and bring up the multitask tray again, and the app I need will be the very first icon in the tray. There isn't 1Password for webOS, but if I needed it, I would press Home or swipe up, and then swipe several times to the 1Password app, and then tap it, copy the password I need, go back to cards, and then swipe several times to get back to the app I need.

Finally I don't see the need for some things to have their windows open, like music players. It just adds cards that I need to swipe through, and they won't play unless I have it open.
Really? How many groups of cards do you have open at a time?! Protip: if there is an open card of an app then pressing on the icon immediately selects that card for full screen (aside from the web browser which uses that for new cards). If you didn't already have the 1Password app open then pressing the icon creates a new card right next to the currently used card/stack so swipes between the two should be very few. If Agile took advantage of all the little tricks that that webOS has to offer in designing their app then they could add a menu command to launch 1password right from the web browser (with a patch) so it'd open as part of the stack and be very easy to get back to...

Ok, now that we're done with that hypothetical, is there something from your actual experience that you'd like to complain about?
dream said:
No argument here, numbler. The more complicated your workflow gets, the more cumbersome cards become. It's just not a metaphor that scales well.
I disagree, I think it scales the best out of all the mobile OS right now, and it's no coincidence that Microsoft and RIM copied it and that tech pundits want Apple and Google to do the same. That said, webOS could be further improved, it's not perfect (i have some ideas there). It's also a damn shame that HP removed the fast app switching Palm had included on the phones

dream

I dunno, Charred. Right now I have Spaz HD, Comic Shelf HD, 3 browser windows, Mail, Internalz, Govnah, and some other terrible app I can't remember open. That's a lot of swiping to jump between, say, Spaz and Internalz. In iOS, it would be a double click and a single swipe to get between apps with the same spatial separation.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
anyone know how to keep videos playing when I turn the screen off? I have sleeping issues so I put on a few episodes of something i've seen 10000 times to listen to to help me sleep.. and having to leave the screen on (I have a cover so its not the light im worried about) drains the battery alot faster than it would if the screen were off. and then sometimes I just like to listen to the audio of shows when im going about my apartment doing things

venne

numble said:

Learn to stack.

numble

Greyface said:
Really? How many groups of cards do you have open at a time?! Protip: if there is an open card of an app then pressing on the icon immediately selects that card for full screen (aside from the web browser which uses that for new cards). If you didn't already have the 1Password app open then pressing the icon creates a new card right next to the currently used card/stack so swipes between the two should be very few. If Agile took advantage of all the little tricks that that webOS has to offer in designing their app then they could add a menu command to launch 1password right from the web browser (with a patch) so it'd open as part of the stack and be very easy to get back to...
How do I press the icon? It's not in my dock. You mean to press Home button or swipe, press the Home icon and then swipe to the list of apps, and then press the icon? How is that more efficient then it being usually one tap away after you bring up the multitask tray, and at most an additional swipe and tap away?

I always have 1Password "open"--like I said, it's usually within the last 5-7 apps used. But it's not as important as Browser, E-mail, PDF Reader, App Store, Music for me to put into my dock., because I want to get to those right when I turn on my device.

I need to access it if I use the Citibank/Bank of America/Chase apps, Skype, App Store, Amazon, Twitter/Facebook/Weibo, and web browser. I don't want to swipe it out or maneuver it out of my stack after its use, I want it to be readily available.

I have a similar use with Pleco. I need it to look up words in magazine apps, Skype and QQ chat apps, the web browser, newspaper apps, and photos/screenshots of Chinese text I just took. It doesn't "stack" with just one type of thing.

numble said:
How do I press the icon? It's not in my dock. You mean to press Home button or swipe, press the Home icon and then swipe to the list of apps, and then press the icon? How is that more efficient then it being usually one tap away after you bring up the multitask tray, and at most an additional swipe and tap away?

You can make it quicker by swiping up from the bezel with two fingers. So when inside one app, swipe up with two fingers then tap the icon of an app that's already open.

elty

bhome doesn't work with with PS3 media service, even it is supposed to transcoded with MEncoder. I thought webOS supports MPEG2 (default codec of ps3mediaserver )?

Kind of weird that Machinarium works, but facebook flash game doesn't.

Biscuits

I just got my touchpad a few days ago and really liking it.

I have one annoyance though, is there any way to download mp4 files without streaming them?

tino

Banned
I just overclocked the TouchPad to 1.7ghz. PDF colored ebook reading is a lot more usable after that.

I think I am not going to bother the TouchPad with anything else until an Android port come out. Browsing and posting in forums is just not fun at all in webOS. I am posting this in my 7" Galaxy Tab. Either Firefox or Dolphin mini destroys the browsers in webOS.

Biscuits said:
I just got my touchpad a few days ago and really liking it.

I have one annoyance though, is there any way to download mp4 files without streaming them?

There's an addon in PreWare that lets you hold a link and choose to download it. I can't remember exactly what it's called.

Top Bottom