• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

numble

So should I get PreWare and all those hacks, dream?

I just checked and I have 10 cards open. I guess I should trim that down by spending some of my time swiping them out and stacking some of them right now.

elty

Preware has lots of good hacks/apps that is not just for speed improvement. I have some:

Touchplayer
Impostah (for switching Canada/US profile)
Browser file:/// support
Internalz (file manager)
Reduce minimum brightness
Just charge by default
Advanced reset option

dream

numble said:
So should I get PreWare and all those hacks, dream?

I just checked and I have 10 cards open. I guess I should trim that down by spending some of my time swiping them out and stacking some of them right now.

Honestly, you need some of those hacks just to get to a slightly below acceptable level of performance.

Now that you've messed around with webOS, do you agree that "true multitasking" really isn't that big of a deal?

numble

elty said:
Is there a way to decrease brightness? Mine is at minimum and still kind of bright to me... iPad minimum brightness works fine for me.
It's in the upper right notification/settings area.

freshair

god dang pdf support on this thing is just atrocious. it's such a shame because I am loving webOS, but the app support just isn't up to par.

i'm also a bit surprised that the kindle app doesn't support sideloading yet. you'd think with how easy it is to add music/movies/pictures, that .mobi files would be just a simple.

definitely looking forward to a dual booting option.

numble

dream said:
Honestly, you need some of those hacks just to get to a slightly below acceptable level of performance.

Now that you've messed around with webOS, do you agree that "true multitasking" really isn't that big of a deal?
It's only a big deal if you deal with apps that need to have multiple "windows," like MS Word with multiple documents, or multiple e-mails. But most apps aren't this way anyway. And even then it adds a bit more efficiency at a higher cost--memory usage is higher, you need to deal with and manage app cards that don't need the paradigm, etc.

I still just compare it to using CMD/ALT+TAB on the desktop. I multitask just fine by knowing what program/icon I want to jump to--it's faster than bringing up Expose/Mission Control.

I can still see a Mission Control type thingy on iOS, but they'll keep the dock on the bottom (just like on OS X) for power users to use the CMD+TAB paradigm.

Things that would make the browser not suck:

Disable the goddamn caching.
Jump to top and bottom of page.

Honestly I think whoever designed the browser never actually used it to browse with. That much seems abundantly clear.

dream

I just noticed the browser doesn't load pages unless that specific window has focus.

True multitasking.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
elty said:
No I mean to make it even dimmer than the minimum setting... I found a hack in Preware.
after you installed the hack you have to go to screen settings for the lower brightness settings. Touching it in the top right comer settings resets it back to the standard 1-100%

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
dream said:
I just noticed the browser doesn't load pages unless that specific window has focus.

True multitasking.

Sigh. found this out the hard way. Opened gaf, did my usual open up 20 - 30 threads in the background, went to make myself some coffee, came back ;_;

Unknown Soldier said:
Things that would make the browser not suck:

Disable the goddamn caching.
Jump to top and bottom of page.

Honestly I think whoever designed the browser never actually used it to browse with. That much seems abundantly clear.

Also, some sites that make heavy use of javascript (yahoo fantasy football for example) seem to give the poor browser fits. That one in particular loads fine, but then each page seems to want to keep loading 2 or 3 times.

Gmail doesn't play nice either. I have to use the HTML version of gmail.

dream said:
Don't get me started on this thing's Javascript performance...

It's brutal. And it's only the second worst issue the browser has.

EDIT: I don't mean to sound too negative here. I mean, on the other hand I completed my whole FF draft using the Yahoo draft flash-webapp, and it ran flawlessly. So that's something. I don't know how many other tabs/browsers can do that.

But yeah, the caching and javascript performance is smelly ass.

Yo Gotti

Banned
It's a tablet guys, not a PC, you seem to have some pretty high expectations for a it as a PC substitute. For the few things that it does poorly, I'm finding that it does quite a few right. With time hopefully some of the issues will be address. (PDF support and Javascript mainly)

Though I've never had an issue with browser caching when browsing GAF or any other website, a simple refresh seems to show me the latest updates in threads. Does this only happen when logged in or something?

dream

I guess my problem is I honestly can't find many things that it actually does right. The notifications are great, I guess, but that's about all I can think of.

dream said:
I guess my problem is I honestly can't find many things that it actually does right. The notifications are great, I guess, but that's about all I can think of.
I like the multitasking through the cards, and the word processor works pretty well.

kmfdmpig

dream said:

I have some complaints as well, and think that the Android port will really help alleviate some of those, particularly if it's ICS.

With that said there's a lot that I do like:
I am thoroughly impressed with the sound, and the screen seems nice as well.
I like the onscreen keyboard.
Preware seems great, and the fact that HP didn't make me jump through hoops to get to it is appreciated.

LM4sure

Banned
the apps on this thing suck!!!! I've already downloaded a few apps and they're just phone apps. the app only takes up a fraction of the screen!!! lazy fuckin devs

jgkspsx

LM4sure said:
the apps on this thing suck!!!! I've already downloaded a few apps and they're just phone apps. the app only takes up a fraction of the screen!!! lazy fuckin devs
The apps that are tablet specific are clearly marked as "Touchpad". Many of them are labeled "HD" as well.

dream

Inductive charging! That's another thing I like about this thing. Although if it's true that the extra thickness of the TouchPad is because of the charging coils, I'm not sure if that's a good tradeoff.

Vyer

dream said:
Inductive charging! That's another thing I like about this thing. Although if it's true that the extra thickness of the TouchPad is because of the charging coils, I'm not sure if that's a good tradeoff.
way to stay posit-

wait.

dream said:

The irony is that I think webOS is fundamentally a sound, if terribly optimized, mobile OS. I mean, it's just about impossible for me to crash the OS itself. If an app freezes (which happens A LOT), I just swipe up from the bezel to minimize it into a card and throw the card away.

WebOS does seem to have memory management issues, once I've got a bunch of cards open it occupies all memory, starts swapping to the disk, and then whenever I switch apps or do something which requires memory the whole tablet stalls for a few seconds while it desperately tries to free up memory. This is annoying, if there's one thing Android does right, it's memory management. Android will kill apps running in the background to free up memory, webOS doesn't seem to do this.

The apps are just terrible, though. Starting with the goddamn browser. Did anybody at HP/Palm own an iPhone, iPad, Android phone, or Android tablet while they were developing the browser for this thing? There are so many things which should be FUCKING OBVIOUS you need to have in a mobile browser. iOS and Android both implement different ways of scrolling fast, either by jumping to top/bottom of the page, or just having super-turbo-autoscroll if you swipe really hard. It should be OBVIOUS that you need this! At least give me a scroll bar if you aren't going to give me gestures for fast scrolling!

And yeah, the Javascript performance of this browser is atrocious. Seriously, look at this:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4508/hp-touchpad-review/5

It gets KILLED by other tablets on the SunSpider Javascript test. Just fucking owned. Who the hell decided Javascript wasn't important enough to optimize performance of? Is this the real Internet? Who gives a fuck about Flash if Javascript, which is universally used on all webpages, performs this badly?

Even at 1.8 ghz I can make my Touchpad stall, lag, and just generally refuse to respond to my touch. I realize that webOS 3.0.x for Touchpad is webOS version 0.73 beta for tablets, but even Honeycomb, Android 0.48 beta for tablets, is generally smoother and more responsive than this.

The most hilarious part is that both HP and Blackberry are or were selling their tablets for the same price as iPad 2. On what planet would someone rather pay $600 for a Touchpad or Playbook instead of an iPad 2?

dream

I kind of suspect this thing has terrible memory leaks somewhere. Performance shouldn't be this terrible when it has a gig of ram to work with. Plus, I'll get the most random TMC errors when I really shouldn't have anywhere close to too many cards open.

The irony of the horrible Javascript thing is both of webOS' SDKs are built on Javascript. That's why every app is so retardedly slow. Someone once told me CSS transforms aren't hardware accelerated in webOS and that's absurd enough for me to not believe...but given the terrible performance, I'm thinking maybe there's something to it.

The hardware inside the Touchpad seems so nice too. The IPS screen is really good, with minimal backlight bleed and nice colors. The speakers on this thing are probably the best available on a tablet. The Qualcomm SoC is obviously solid, and you can OC it a ton too.

Some of the aesthetic decisions are a bit odd, like having the speaker grilles recessed so when you hold the tablet in the portrait orientation, the speaker hole digs into your left hand. You can alleviate this by holding the tablet upside-down, since webOS can rotate the screen 360 degrees, unlike Android.

Also, who's bright idea was it to make the tablet's backside glossy plastic? Fingerprints glow on this tablet like they are painted neon or something. Come on HP, do you UNDERSTAND why everybody except Apple puts matte or rubberized backs on phones? It's to hide fingerprints better, and also make the device easier to grip! The Touchpad's convex shape on the back combined with the glossy plastic makes it always sliding off my lap unless I sit perfectly still.

It's pretty obviously a version 1.0 product, and HP should have learned the lesson of Android tablets starting with Motorola Xoom and also Blackberry Playbook, your version 1.0 tablet is not going to be competitive with iPad. So work hard and patch the shit out of the thing as Google is doing for Android tablets, and don't launch it at exactly the same price as an iPad! It's like nobody at these companies has ever launched a new product before. In this case HP's bungling has killed a promising product even before it had a chance to survive and grow. Sigh.

dream

You know what sums up the hardware design for me? There is no oleophobic coating on the glass.

That just shows you how little HP cares about design.

Remus

Yo Gotti said:
It's a tablet guys, not a PC, you seem to have some pretty high expectations for a it as a PC substitute. For the few things that it does poorly, I'm finding that it does quite a few right. With time hopefully some of the issues will be address. (PDF support and Javascript mainly)
I think most people are aware it's a tablet. It's just we've all been spoiled by solid web browsing experiences provided by iOS and Android devices that it makes WebOS more frustrating to use.

dream

2 more complaints. The ambient light sensor seems really wonky and dims and brightens the display at strange times (read: when the ambient light doesn't change at all). The flicking up gesture causes whatever app has focus to scroll for a bit before zooming out to card view. You're telling me they couldn't intercept gestures that begin at the 1 pixel border?

Kaper

Is there an app for the touchpad that mimics a blank piece of paper and allows one to write/draw on it with finger/stylus? It's the last thing I need to make the touchpad perform all the roles I wanted it to.

Takuya said:
Which server?
Freenode.

Update:

<Jedipottsy> so are those cypress driver's any good?
<Nick-C> from what i read yesterday they might be
<Nick-C> single touch was working iirc
<Nick-C> they might have multi-touch working by now too
<Jedipottsy> nice
<Flemmard> hm no
<Flemmard> the drivers we got yesterday are quite different
<Flemmard> they need another firmware etc
<Flemmard> but the problem is, if we flash new firmware, will us be able to reflash original one? etc
<Flemmard> so ..
<extide> we need some ppl from vegas
<Flemmard> ?
<extide> to throw down
<extide> and rick their touchpads
<extide> risk*
<extide> if the driver works, they get to be the first users of the port, if it doesnt, well it might mean no tp

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
dream said:
2 more complaints. The ambient light sensor seems really wonky and dims and brightens the display at strange times (read: when the ambient light doesn't change at all). The flicking up gesture causes whatever app has focus to scroll for a bit before zooming out to card view. You're telling me they couldn't intercept gestures that begin at the 1 pixel border?
The swipe gesture didn't scroll cards for me until I installed the sensitivity patches, so it's probably that.

Doopliss

dream said:
I've not noticed any problems with mine. Maybe you're accidentally covering the light sensor with your hand? (It's in the corner between the power and volume buttons.) Could also be that you move your head and your shadow goes over it or something like that.

I guess I really can't complain about an MSRP'd $500 tablet I bought for $200. Overall, it fits my needs fine. I needed something for school, and this fulfills that need so that I don't need to save $600 on an iPad.

dazed808

For those missing a browser home screen try - http://myfav.es/

I've replaced the Globe icon on the Quick Launcher thing with a shortcut to it and it makes getting to my most visited sites a lot less painful than using the woeful bookmarks on the stock browser.

I've found the 6x3 setup to be most useable layout with the TP horizontal tho there are quite a few different configs to play around with.

browser_2011-05-09_181957.png

DanManIt

Neo Member
freshair said:
god dang pdf support on this thing is just atrocious. it's such a shame because I am loving webOS, but the app support just isn't up to par.

i'm also a bit surprised that the kindle app doesn't support sideloading yet. you'd think with how easy it is to add music/movies/pictures, that .mobi files would be just a simple.

definitely looking forward to a dual booting option.

PDF support that bad? I was wanting to get one off of a friend pretty much for the sole purpose to view pdfs and browse.

dream

DanManIt said:
PDF support that bad? I was wanting to get one off of a friend pretty much for the sole purpose to view pdfs and browse.

The TouchPad is pretty terrible at both of those tasks.

Mission

So describe for me what's so bad about the PDF support. First thing I did was load a pile of PDFs on there and it was really slow before all of the tweaks but I don't have any complaints about it at this point, and I'm only running 1.5.

dazed808 said:
For those missing a browser home screen try - http://myfav.es/

I've replaced the Globe icon on the Quick Launcher thing with a shortcut to it and it makes getting to my most visited sites a lot less painful than using the woeful bookmarks on the stock browser.

I've found the 6x3 setup to be most useable layout with the TP horizontal tho there are quite a few different configs to play around with.

browser_2011-05-09_181957.png

awesome. Buy advance browser if you can it has tabbed browsing. I might get it soon.

I messed around with the Adobe Reader app awhile ago. I don't like that you can't resume a document from the last page read. It seemed slow compared to Dropbox or Good Reader on iPad.

If Comic Shelf were updated (to remember the last page you were on and the capacity to delete the comics from the touchpad, yadda, yadda).

Either Adobe or a second-party PDF app was available comparable to Good Reader.

The browser caching and several features were added in.

And finally Web OS was a little snappier (wo over clocking), then the $100 Touchpad would be highway robbery and people could hold onto them and maybe get the second-gen quad-core tablets in a few years (especially with Android development).

I saw Endgaget that there was another OTA on the way. Anyone knows what this addresses?

dream

Spiderjericho said:
If Comic Shelf were updated (to remember the last page you were on and the capacity to delete the comics from the touchpad, yadda, yadda).

Yeah, I don't get that. The developer of Comic Shelf also wrote a file manager app called Internalz Pro (so I just keep them stacked) that handles file copying and deleting. No idea why he wouldn't just roll that code into Comic Shelf.

Top Bottom