• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

dream said:
Yeah, I don't get that. The developer of Comic Shelf also wrote a file manager app called Internalz Pro (so I just keep them stacked) that handles file copying and deleting. No idea why he wouldn't just roll that code into Comic Shelf.

Jason Robitaille said:
Wanted to pass along some news on current plans. WOSQI Homebrew Guide app will be released in the next day or two.

Originally, after that I had planned to continue work on Internalz HD. However, due to public demand and the success of ComicShelf HD, I will work simultaneously on the ComicShelf HD update (rather then leaving it until after).

I'll keep you guys updated as news happens

He posted this two days ago.

I'm more interested in the HP OTA. It's supposed to add apps and functionality:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/30/hp-touchpad-will-receive-ota-udpate-for-added-functionality/

Do giant bomb videos work for anyone else? The worked grand for me for the first couple of days and now when I try and play one, I just get a black box. I'm a non paying pleb so can't go the html 5 route.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
snoopeasystreet said:
Do giant bomb videos work for anyone else? The worked grand for me for the first couple of days and now when I try and play one, I just get a black box. I'm a non paying pleb so can't go the html 5 route.
plays fine for me. I watched pinball and gunslinger QuickBooks today on the touchpad

Looks like I'm finally getting lucky and might get a 32GB soon.

How's the android progress on this thing? Last thing I saw was some guy dualbooting it but the touchscreen didn't work.

Was more progress made in the meanwhile?

Fatalah

Metalmurphy said:
How's the android progress on this thing? Last thing I saw was some guy dualbooting it but the touchscreen didn't work.
That's where we're at right now. The TouchDroid project seems to have picked up speed the last two weeks. At this rate, I'm hoping there's something to toy with next week!

antonz

Fatalah said:
That's where we're at right now. The TouchDroid project seems to have picked up speed the last two weeks. At this rate, I'm hoping there's something to toy with next week!
The overall android on Touchpad community now has single touch working and continues to get it all fully working

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Obviously iPad is a superior product, but I get a lot more enjoyment and value out of the Touchpad at $99 than iPad at $500. I wanted to return iPad after 2 days, but I'm still using the Touchpad 2 weeks later and am happy with it.

FLEABttn

Banned
Now Datavision, days after they process my refund, is suggesting via e-mail that they're about to process a TouchPad for me. I don't even know what to think at this point.

I'm actually impressed with how well this thing runs flash video. If isn't high def, I have no problem. It makes catching up on Breaking Bad and Doctor Who pretty easy.

sfedai0

Banned
2 weeks in and Im completely satisfied with a tablet that I bought for 150. Im not particularly interested in apps, and the TP is very competent in providing my music, movies, and books. This is my fist tablet and Im sure I would be under-utilizing if this were a Ipad, but for my purposes, I would feel like I would have wasted hard earned money on tablets costing 3 times more. Best deal Ive ever gotten.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Aruarian Reflection said:
Obviously iPad is a superior product, but I get a lot more enjoyment and value out of the Touchpad at $99 than iPad at $500. I wanted to return iPad after 2 days, but I'm still using the Touchpad 2 weeks later and am happy with it.

My brother-in-law got the Touchpad, and I got to fiddle around with it. It was laggy as hell and apps took forever to load. My sister was having trouble navigating through the Facebook app, and it took forever try to switch accounts on it. All in all, I'd rather keep my iPad 2.

antonz

richiek said:
My brother-in-law got the Touchpad, and I got to fiddle around with it. It was laggy as hell and apps took forever to load. My sister was having trouble navigating through the Facebook app, and it took forever try to switch accounts on it. All in all, I'd rather keep my iPad 2.
That has more to do with idiotic factory settings than the device itself. Disabling all the idiotic settings makes the thing fly.

Yeah, I scored a Touchstone for $40 at Best Buy before I knew my TouchPad was even going to ship. Good thing too as they are almost sold out everywhere now. Inductive charging really is some futuristic shit. Fucking magnets, how do they work?

LQX said:
I decided to pick up a total body skin from this site.
http://www.bestskinsever.com/hp-touchpad-skin

Its on sale for $13 today only due to Labor Day. There iPhone and iPad skins get good reviews so will take a chance.

This seems like a pretty sweet back skin for the Touchpad. I'll order one.

I really like the SGP screen protectors though, my Droid X wears a Steinheil on it's front. I'm thinking of trying out this one for the iPad 1, since the H and W dimensions for iPad and Touchpad are identical.
http://www.sgpstore.com/tablets/apple/ipad/sgp-ipad-3g-wifi-screen-protector-steinheil-series.html

venne

richiek said:
I'd rather have a Touchpad and $400 (at least).

numble

I have a Touchpad but if I didn't have an iPad 2 already, I would've sold it for $250 and spent another $250 on an iPad 2.

If I had 4 Touchpads, like venne, I'd sell 2 and get an iPad 2 right away (I know he sold at least one for $299).

Jo-El

numble said:
I have a Touchpad but if I didn't have an iPad 2 already, I would've sold it for $250 and spent another $250 on an iPad 2.

If I had 4 Touchpads, like venne, I'd sell 2 and get an iPad 2 right away (I know he sold at least one for $299).
Why keep your Touchpad if you already have an iPad 2?

numble

Jo-El said:
Why keep your Touchpad if you already have an iPad 2?
I want to mess around if they put Android on it. There is very little use for it otherwise. I still might sell it in the end.

It was initially going to be a gift for my mom, seeing as she watches flash videos all the time, but she complains about it all the time. I lent her my iPad 2 before this and she definitely prefers the app method--example, today within 30 minutes after I told her to try out the Touchpad again, I had to troubleshoot a flash video that was playing but not displaying on the browser, I then had to explain that there's no way to send video to the TV like on the iPad, and finally gave her my iPad when the video she wanted to watch for some reason only took up 1/4 of the screen in full screen mode, with no fullscreen video controls (the video displays fine, with video scrubbing controls, and AppleTV support on an app on the iPad 2). Oh and the website opened up like 4 popup windows as extra cards.

Jo-El

numble said:
I want to mess around if they put Android on it. There is very little use for it otherwise. I still might sell it in the end.

It was initially going to be a gift for my mom, seeing as she watches flash videos all the time, but she complains about it all the time. I lent her my iPad 2 before this and she definitely prefers the app method--example, today within 30 minutes after I told her to try out the Touchpad again, I had to troubleshoot a flash video that was playing but not displaying on the browser, I then had to explain that there's no way to send video to the TV like on the iPad, and finally gave her my iPad when the video she wanted to watch for some reason only took up 1/4 of the screen in full screen mode, with no fullscreen video controls (the video displays fine, with video scrubbing controls, and AppleTV support on an app on the iPad 2). Oh and the website opened up like 4 popup windows as extra cards.
I see. At least you shouldn't have any trouble getting your money back(plus more) if you do sell it.

Fox Mulder

numble said:

I have really thought about flipping mine towards an ipad 2, but it being my first tablet, I was eager to play around with it to see what the whole craze was about first. It's great for certain things, even ran my yahoo fantasy football draft flawlessly, but I'm starving for apps. So I'll probably make the upgrade soon.

anyone have problems with charging the touchpad? my lady's touchpad won't charge. I made sure the 2 piece charger was locked in the correct position and the wire works when used on the computer. I don't have an extra wire to test with. Nothing on the internet worked for me either.

numble

bkfount said:
I have really thought about flipping mine towards an ipad 2, but it being my first tablet, I was eager to play around with it to see what the whole craze was about first. It's great for certain things, even ran my yahoo fantasy football draft flawlessly, but I'm starving for apps. So I'll probably make the upgrade soon.
I think it should hold it's value very well, it might even go up once/if they get Android on it. It has a better screen and processor than most Android tablets.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
richiek said:

I feel the same way. the touchpad should have been 99 bucks at the start because of how awful WebOS is on it.

tino

Banned
numble said:
I think it should hold it's value very well, it might even go up once/if they get Android on it. It has a better screen and processor than most Android tablets.

Consider the Nook Color pretty much stay the same on ebay ever since it came out, the TouchPad price will stay above 200 for the next year. Good IPS screens don't grow on trees.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
numble said:

Can you link me to the video? I'm thinking about writing my own browser for this thing if I can find the time, so fixing something like that would probably be a good thing.

numble

TheOMan said:
Can you link me to the video? I'm thinking about writing my own browser for this thing if I can find the time, so fixing something like that would probably be a good thing.
Sure, check your PM. I don't know if you can fix it though, wouldn't it be based on how Flash runs on the Touchpad?

People see to love to keep rehashing the same old "sucks against ipad/android." You're not pointing out anything new here. The product failed and was liquidated well below BoM costs. There's a reason for that.

At this point, if you magically expected a $99 failed and liquidated product to be on par with successful counterparts, you set yourself up with very poor expectations.

Maybe things will improve, maybe they won't. At this point, Preware mods and an overclock is the best you can do. This should be your baseline for determining whether you keep the product or sell it while you still can and recoup your costs, if not turn a slight profit.

The "lol i found another thing ipad/android does better!" serves absolutely no purpose because it's not a surprise.

jgkspsx

I don't expect prices to drop. Maybe when the last wave of hardware appears, but if the Android implementation is done by then it might cancel out. But why would it drop? The Amazon $250 tablet sounds like a piece of shit that's competing with the Nook Color instead of real tablet computers.

RukusProvider said:
The "lol i found another thing ipad/android does better!" serves absolutely no purpose because it's not a surprise.
What is a surprise is how shitty most Android tablets are. I think the Touchpad holds up well against the Xoom and blows away the Galaxy Tab 7 for general use. But then, I really don't care for Honeycomb.

It may not hold up so well against the iPad series, but that's the genre-defining device.

Anyway, dream needs a hobby. Otherwise it will just be Copernicus innuendo all day long.

venne

numble said:

I flipped all but one. I couldn't justify keeping more than one since people went nuts for them.

As I've said earlier, it's like people are paying me +$100 not to keep it. I planned on keeping three but I'm not into them enough to pass up doubling money or better.

I can't justify spending five times as much for a tablet computer. I'm sure the iPad 2 is a superior product, but I'd rather keep my money. I think in a year or two tablets will be truly compelling; they aren't there for me yet.

tino

Banned
jgkspsx said:
I don't expect prices to drop. Maybe when the last wave of hardware appears, but if the Android implementation is done by then it might cancel out. But why would it drop? The Amazon $250 tablet sounds like a piece of shit that's competing with the Nook Color instead of real tablet computers.

What is a surprise is how shitty most Android tablets are. I think the Touchpad holds up well against the Xoom and blows away the Galaxy Tab 7 for general use. But then, I really don't care for Honeycomb.

It may not hold up so well against the iPad series, but that's the genre-defining device.

Anyway, dream needs a hobby. Otherwise it will just be Copernicus innuendo all day long.
You are wrong. The Galaxy Tab 7 is much better than TouchPad.

Blackhead

Redarse
jgkspsx said:

That's his hobby.

venne said:
I flipped all but one. I couldn't justify keeping more than one since people went nuts for them.

As I've said earlier, it's like people are paying me +$100 not to keep it. I planned on keeping three but I'm not into them enough to pass up doubling money or better.

I can't justify spending five times as much for a tablet computer. I'm sure the iPad 2 is a superior product, but I'd rather keep my money. I think in a year or two tablets will be truly compelling; they aren't there for me yet.
The iPad 1 is a superior product and can be had for $300 from Apple (assuming you don't find it cheaper elsewhere).

kinggroin

Banned
jgkspsx said:

If by "holds up well" you mean it has a superior screen and fails pretty hard in every other category against it, sure, I'd agree.

Hell, the touchpad doesn't fare much better against the gingerbread based tablets either. Its pretty pathetic actually. Of course, at $99 a pop, its an easier pill to swallow.

venne

Greyface said:
The iPad 1 is a superior product and can be had for $300 from Apple (assuming you don't find it cheaper elsewhere).

Sorry, it's not three times better to me. I'd still rather have a Touchpad and $200.

NJYZu.png

So i just started getting paranoid about what will happen when the battery dies on these things. Does anyone know if the pad will work using the USB cable alone without a battery.

Top Bottom