• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Computer said:
NJYZu.png
ympyt.gif

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So my sister left her iPad 2 at my house so I took it work with me instead of the Touchpad.....and I miss my Touchpad. HATE the iOS interface, I'm hoping iOS 5 is more exciting to use.

Right now, I couldn't be happier with my Touchpad. I'm hoping for an update from HP to stabilize it some more and hopefully improve the browsing, and then dual booting to Android would be the icing on the cake. This may be the best $100 I ever spent.

Mission

Cool rumour I just heard. That OTA update HP is working on will include android to get there ahead of the touchdroid folks. Apparently HP really needs the $2000 bounty

#thisisonlyhumourpeople

cool rumor. we can all dream, but I can't imagine HP spending any more man hours on anything related to HP software development of any kind. and especially not for Android.

Not with the losses they're absorbing.

Jo-El

Dreams-Visions said:
cool rumor. we can all dream, but I can't imagine HP spending any more man hours on anything related to HP software development of any kind. and especially not for Android.

Not with the losses they're absorbing.
Has HP laid off their Palm people yet?

dream

Jo-El said:
Has HP laid off their Palm people yet?
That's probably coming soon. HP just announced they are splitting the webOS GBU into 2 and essentially putting the software in cold storage.

CRD90 said:
It's Gingerbread they're working on, right? Not Honeycomb? Would a mobile phone OS work well on a tablet?
The question has been answered several times in this thread. It's unlikely Honeycomb will be ported to the Touchpad because its source code has not been released by Google. Developers are more likely to skip straight to Ice Cream Sandwich.

Blackhead

Redarse
dream said:
That's probably coming soon. HP just announced they are splitting the webOS GBU into 2 and essentially putting the software in cold storage.
Link? That's not what I read in HP's announcement...

dream

Greyface said:
Link? That's not what I read in HP's announcement...
I'm on my Luddite phone right now but we're probably talking about the same announcement. It's the one where HP says they're taking webOS out of PSGs hands (killing the hopes of the spun off PSG getting back into the webOS game) and handing it over to their department of technologies or whatever it's called.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Computer said:
Now this I like

I like my Touchpad, but getting Android on there would make it so much better. I don't hate WebOS but the lack of app support is frustrating.

Apath

Stop It said:
Now this I like

I like my Touchpad, but getting Android on there would make it so much better. I don't hate WebOS but the lack of app support is frustrating.
That and an upgraded browser is what I really need on this thing. More and more I find myself going to my laptop over the touchpad due to a sever lack of functionality.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Multi-touchscreen drivers? Check.

Now what, that's it, right?

They'll release the files, give us a how-to tutorial and we'll be running Android, right?

awwyeah.jpg

<long2know> now that multi touch is working, what's left? battery management, 2d/3d acceleration ?
<babcocca> things have really got much more complex than the wm8505 based tablet I cut my teeth on
<Jedipottsy> wifi, display, battery, easy dual boot solution
<Jedipottsy> audio, camera
<ebswift> bt
<DanielC|Mac> sound

Same source as always.

Fatalah said:
Well boo. Will ICS be open? If so, I hope the Touchpad can run it smoothly!
ICS is supposed to work on both smartphones and tablets. Google closed the Honeycomb source code because they didn't want independent devs to experiment it on smartphones, as that version of Android was supposed to be tablets-only.

Edit: if you want info straight from the devs' mouths, join #touchdroid on IRC, server is Freenode.

Don't they also need to get the Android Marketplace working before it's of any real use? It was quite a long time before the Nook Color finally got access to the marketplace, right?

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
i hope the android browser will help the touchpad be able to stream 720p twitch.tv/own3d.tv streams. I can only manage to get it to stream 480p content fine. That's my only gripe so far with the touchpad after owning it for 2 weeks

tino

Banned
NuclearWinter said:
Don't they also need to get the Android Marketplace working before it's of any real use? It was quite a long time before the Nook Color finally got access to the marketplace, right?
Side lading the market is easy as cake. I am more worry about remapping the back and menu buttons.

Chesskid1

Banned
SteveO409 said:
i hope the android browser will help the touchpad be able to stream 720p twitch.tv/own3d.tv streams. I can only manage to get it to stream 480p content fine. That's my only gripe so far with the touchpad after owning it for 2 weeks

did you try overclocking? i haven't personally tried it myself but i recall people saying overclocking helped play HD videos.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Chesskid1 said:
did you try overclocking? i haven't personally tried it myself but i recall people saying overclocking helped play HD videos.

Yeah I overclocked it to 1.5 ghz with the uberkernal. Advancedbrowser struggles to play it at 480p but the default browser can handle it. I'm still satisfied with this tablet since I've used it everyday lol

Chesskid1 said:

My experience of overclocking this thing has been that it's as likely to make flash videos worse as it is to make them better. At 1.7Ghz I have 720p working reasonably well on YouTube, though it still drops frames sometimes. Other streaming sites are still unwatchable at 720p though (Crunchyroll for example). Some of the kernels caused problems even with 480p streams.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Was wondering if you guys could help. I just got my new Touchpad and signed up for a WebOS account. First thing I did was update to the latest OS and then set logging to minimal.

I wanted to get the Kindle app but, no matter what I do, I can't connect to the app catalog. The first page loads up and then a couple seconds later I get, "The action could not be completed. Try again later."

Any solution?

kharma45

Computer said:
The question has been answered several times in this thread. It's unlikely Honeycomb will be ported to the Touchpad because its source code has not been released by Google. Developers are more likely to skip straight to Ice Cream Sandwich.

MThanded said:
Honeycomb is not open source yet.

Although it's not you never know, like the Advent Vega has a pretty good build running of it now, TouchPad should be aiming for something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avUTCXW_itE

Blackhead

Redarse
dream said:
I'm on my Luddite phone right now but we're probably talking about the same announcement. It's the one where HP says they're taking webOS out of PSGs hands (killing the hopes of the spun off PSG getting back into the webOS game) and handing it over to their department of technologies or whatever it's called.
So we read the same announcement and you took away the opposite, most negative interpretation possible? Okay got you. HP said they are 'taking webOS out of PSGs hands' which is in line with what they said earlier about continuing to work on webOS which was underlined by their recent act of releasing an update for webOS (to include document editing in QuickOffice). fwiw I, like you, don't have faith in HP to completely follow through but there's no need to spin the situation even worse than it is. For all we know webOS will be in active development a year from now
after Leo put in his printers.

dream

Greyface said:
So we read the same announcement and you took away the opposite, most negative interpretation possible? Okay got you. HP said they are 'taking webOS out of PSGs hands' which is in line with what they said earlier about continuing to work on webOS which was underlined by their recent act of releasing an update for webOS (to include document editing in QuickOffice). fwiw I, like you, don't have faith in HP to completely follow through but there's no need to spin the situation even worse than it is. For all we know webOS will be in active development a year from now
after Leo put in his printers.

Admittedly, I'm probably being influenced by Precentral's own take on it:

Moving webOS software under the Office of Strategy and Technology will serve two purposes: the first being getting webOS out of the soon-to-be-spun-off PSG and keeping it as a property of the new software and services HP, and the second being giving webOS a closer relationship to HP’s multi-billion research and development fund and personnel. The OS&T is considered by HP to be an “incubator” for their tech businesses, where they’re currently applying TLC to HP’s Cloud Services, Vertica, and Business Solutions units.

and from that Shane dude's leaked memo:

With our focus on business and technology strategy, OS&T will be able to provide these teams with the resources and support they need as we define the best monetization model. The webOS software employees join HP Cloud Services, Vertica, and Business Solutions as an incubating business group. However, while these teams will be joining OS&T we have decided not to initiate any integration activities. These teams will continue to operate under their current systems and processes until further notice.

I dunno, it just doesn't sound like there's a consumer-facing future for webOS. I think this is HP's way of saying "okay, both HTC and Samsung publicly said they don't want webOS so we're just going to bury it under layers of bureaucracy."

kehs

Banned
dream said:
Admittedly, I'm probably being influenced by Precentral's own take on it:

and from that Shane dude's leaked memo:

I dunno, it just doesn't sound like there's a consumer-facing future for webOS. I think this is HP's way of saying "okay, both HTC and Samsung publicly said they don't want webOS so we're just going to bury it under layers of bureaucracy."

HP is turning webOS into an MS 365, Onlive and GApps annihilator instead of an Android/WP7 fun run.

jgkspsx

Got the keyboard. Very nice hardware, but the number of things that require touching the screen (such as SCROLLING THE BROWSER) is terrible. I will probably finally get around to Prewaring it tomorrow, but are there any patches to add that yet?

Also, is there a patch to add a scroll progress bar to the browser? That was a must-have patch on earlier webOS versions...

antonz

I have a feeling alot of people got suckered. The so called leader of touchdroid who accused the kid from MIT as being the thief stealing donations etc is now being called out for stealing stuff from another team claiming it is touchdroids progress.

Guessing MIT kid got booted because he realized it was a scam and then touch droid got to pocket tons more cash and even free touchpads from people for "work" purposes

dream

So basically, the Team This vs Team That bullshit of the Android hacking community has arrived on the TouchPad.

That's just great.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
verygreen and dalingrin made the Nook Color what it is now. I'm not shocked that the rag-tag hype machine at TouchDroid is poaching their work.

Top Bottom