• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Kind of pissed off at the way the webOS organizes my pictures and music.

My photos are organized into subfolders for each event stored in main folders for the year. Something like:

2006-->Tom's Birthday at X-->Pictures

After I dump them onto the Touchpad, the main folders are dispensed with and I can only browse my pictures by the subfolders(i.e. Tom's Birthday at X). It's a serious pain and googling a solution has availed me nothing. Has anyone found an app/patch on preware or some other solution? And while on the topic of photo organization, am I the only one whose photos appear in reverse order? To start at the first picture of an event/trip I have to scroll all the way to the bottom and start with the "last" picture and flip right to left instead of left to right to work my way through the album chronologically.

Similarly, the music I dropped into the touchpad loses all notations of compilations. Something like the Kill Bill soundrack appears as x number of separate albums where x is the number of tracks. Likewise, hoping someone has found a solution.

kehs

Banned
dream said:
Everyone is always accusing everyone else of stealing their code and shit. You know how hackers are.

I guess since Google does it, they feel like they have a free pass.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I would suggest you find the Music(Remix) player. It looks like the default player but it has a ton of features Palm "forgot" about.

tino

Banned
Lyphen said:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/09/hp-whisks-webos-away-to-safety-from-pc-hardware-it-wants-to-spin-off.ars

Looks like my insane rambling was right after all. webOS may still have a future. Hope they can turn it around.

Its dead. Why would webOS live on if it stay in the company that shattered it?

The only chance it has is if HTC buy it. HTC uses the same Qualcomm chip webOS uses. Plus HTC expressed interest to license it before HP brought it anyway. But HP need to sell the patents and webOS together to HTC.

HTC is probably not interested in webOS any more, so HP had no choice but to close the hardware dept and keep the software dept.

webOS right now is as dead as Meego. If you think Meego is alive, be my guest. There are software engineers who are being paid every month to maintain these two dead platforms becuase the parent companies want to keep certain images. But they are fucking dead.

"It's dead, Jake."
chinatown-final.jpeg

one thing I hate about the touch screen device and watching youtube is that skipping the video takes practice. I either pause the video every time or reload or something. I want to skip to later part of the video not pause.

tino

Banned
My cheap brown leather case from Hong Kong delivered after two weeks.

It fits surprisingly well.

The volume, power and camera shows in the holes. I can access home button, 3.5mm audio jack and the USB port too.

Not bad for $7 bux.

IMG_20110907_120256.jpg

IMG_20110907_120325.jpg

IMG_20110907_120400.jpg

IMG_20110907_120427.jpg

elty

tino said:
My cheap brown leather case from Hong Kong delivered after two weeks.

It fits surprisingly well.

The volume, power and camera shows in the holes. I can access home button, 3.5mm audio jack and the USB port too.

Not bad for $7 bux.
-- pic removed --

Does it cover the bezel for the swipe up gesture?

dream

elty said:
Does it cover the bezel for the swipe up gesture?

That gesture starts from a 1 pixel border around the desktop so it shouldn't really matter if your bezel is covered up.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I was thinking of getting this for web browsing and e-book(read .pdf) reading. How good is it at both of these things?

I paid about $15 for the same case Tino has but mine is black, which I greatly prefer. It's a nice case for the price, I think. No complaints with it so far having it for over a week.

jgkspsx

Plywood said:
I was thinking of getting this for web browsing and e-book(read .pdf) reading. How good is it at both of these things?
It's fine for most web browsing. Neither the Kindle app nor the PDF app is very good.

numble

Plywood said:
If your web browsing includes browsing GAF, it's terrible.

tino

Banned
Plywood said:

Reading colored magazine pdf and photography books is great though. Remember to over clock it.

There are alot of little things in desktop version of Chrome or Firefox that make browsing forums a lot better on Windows/Mac than tablets.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
jgkspsx said:
It's fine for most web browsing. Neither the Kindle app nor the PDF app is very good.

The Kindle app is fine.

dream

The thing is, everything I say about the TouchPad (including the white screen of death in Kindle) is absolutely true.

J-Rod

sfedai0 said:
I follow this thread just to watch Dream trolling on the TP every chance he gets.

Same story in the palm webos event thread that has been around for a long time. Highest number of posts by a user in both threads too.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Mission said:
Further update video from CyangenMod this morning. Color is working as is hardware 2D. Not clear how he's surfing. Is it passthru or did they get Wifi working already?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsZXe-_v9uQ

Note: he does comment on whether Team Touchdroid is properly giving credit.

He commented that it is not Wifi yet.

bwahhhhh

numble said:
No, it works horribly on that, too.

You need to clarify what you mean by horrible, because that gives off the impression that it's unusable, crashes, doesn't display properly, etc. Both the main site and secondapps work perfectly fine for me, with the caveat that the aggressive caching means I need to hit refresh to see new posts when I switch to a thread that i've been to before.

It's slightly annoying, and I want an update to fix that, but everything works fine aside from that.

numble

bwahhhhh said:
You need to clarify what you mean by horrible, because that gives off the impression that it's unusable, crashes, doesn't display properly, etc. Both the main site and secondapps work perfectly fine for me, with the caveat that the aggressive caching means I need to hit refresh to see new posts when I switch to a thread that i've been to before.

It's slightly annoying, and I want an update to fix that, but everything works fine aside from that.
The aggressive caching is a dealbreaker. Load a page, press refresh. Go back to main forum, press refresh.

bwahhhhh

bwahhhhh said:

I have one other issue with the browser, if I'm at the bottom of the page of a thread, and I hit refresh, it refreshes then leaves me at the top of the page. Most browsers refresh and then leave you roughly where you were before. On long pages, it's a hassle to have to scroll all the way down to the bottom again. That's more annoying to me than needing to refresh.

jgkspsx

numble said:
The aggressive caching is a dealbreaker. Load a page, press refresh. Go back to main forum, press refresh.
Wait, dealbreaker? Like, you won't use it anymore? How much would you take for yours?

Soka said:
I paid about $15 for the same case Tino has but mine is black, which I greatly prefer. It's a nice case for the price, I think. No complaints with it so far having it for over a week.

Do you have a touchstone? Does it work with that on if you do?

I finally got my Griffin Elan Folio from Verizon today. I have to say, the actual quality of the case (if I had an iPad 1 would be good). However, it doesn't completely fit the Touchpad 100%. The camera is a little bit obstructed. I'm thinking of just getting a pair of scissors and cutting the bottom part, since the case cost $5.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...ryDetails&archetypeId=12334&accessoryId=46407

I'd say for the price, I'd recommend it to others. But it's currently sold out on Verizon.

And we'll all probably be dual booting in two to three weeks at this rate. The cynagen (sp) mod should add a little life to this thing.

Plinko

Spiderjericho said:
And we'll all probably be dual booting in two to three weeks at this rate. The cynagen (sp) mod should add a whole new life to this thing.

Fixed.

Touchdroid project officially on hold due to ongoing drama between rhcp and the CyanogenMod team on IRC (#touchdroid), over allegedly stolen code.

Top Bottom