• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

kehs

Banned
numble said:
Chrome does not load a cache of a page when I click on a link, thinking I want to see a cached version because I visited that page some time in the past. Neither does Safari. They only use the cache if I use back/forward.

Wait, you're saying link navigation doesn't query the server?

I thought you were talking about back/foward tab change navigation.

dream

Vyer said:
can you elaborate? I hope there is a workaround

If you long press a link and pick "add to launcher" (i think you can do it in the browser thingy too) it will save the bookmark to your Favorites tab.

in typical webOS fashion, it's so clunky and kludgey that I don't even consider it a solution

it's really not a bad tablet at all. I'm surprised they initially priced it to compete directly with the iPad. Surely their executives could have held both side by side, experimented and concluded that was not a viable strategy.

That said, I'm enjoying it. It's funny about Flash though...for the websites that have not also added h.264 video (all 3 of them), it's nice to have Flash in the browser. But half the time, I've been wanting to turn Flash off so that h.264 could load instead. Why? Flash is choppy, even when overclocked. Take ESPN.com or example. Watch a video there, then watch it via h.264 on an iPad. it's so much better on h.264 (mp4) that it's almost laughable.

All Flash has really added to my experience thus far is annoying Flash ads on my websites. I don't think that's what people were hoping for out of Flash...but maybe that was Adobe's primary concern. idk. It's cool, it just lacks. and for $100-$150, it's quite the steal indeed. I'd certainly buy it again. I just wish it was more stable.

kehs

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
it's really not a bad tablet at all. I'm surprised they initially priced it to compete directly with the iPad. Surely their executives could have held both side by side, experimented and concluded that was not a viable strategy.

I imagine they held them side by side both displaying a flash based list of the feature set for each device, then set the price.

-----

dream....i dozed off at my desk and had another dream. =(

dream

I like it when I pause a Flash video then switch to another app to do something and when I return to the video, it will no longer unpause because I was gone for more than a few minutes.

kehs

Banned
It's probably for the best if I don't.

=(

On the plus side, my tablet wasn't stolen, it was underneath a bunch of shit(no not android
angry.gif
).

Firestorm

dream said:
I like it when I pause a Flash video then switch to another app to do something and when I return to the video, it will no longer unpause because I was gone for more than a few minutes.
Do Flash videos work better on the iPad too?

numble

Firestorm said:
Do Flash videos work better on the iPad too?
I think videos work much better.
Loading up h.264 HTML5 videos is much better than the blocky mess of controller-less flash videos that they serve instead of HTML5 videos.

For actual flash-only video, I think iSwifter and Skyfire are actually better Flash video players than the TouchPad's flash video player, which feels like I need to press multiple times for it to register my touch, and sometimes does not do fullscreen properly.

Let's keep in mind that Flash sucks on every platform. It's not the Touchpad's fault that Adobe can't code for any platform. Because I doubt that HP wrote the Flash player for Touchdroid, like they do on every platform, Adobe does that themselves. And to keep the experience uniform across all platforms, they do a really bad job!

numble said:
Chrome does not load a cache of a page when I click on a link, thinking I want to see a cached version because I visited that page some time in the past. Neither does Safari. They only use the cache if I use back/forward.
here's where I think it is a problem. When you write a post, you are taken to a refreshed version of the thread. You then could push the back button a few times to get back to where you were, or just choose the forum section you were viewing. In a fast moving forum like neogaf, that forum section now looks completely different and you might have to goto next page before you find the thread that caught your eye earlier.

does that make sense?

why does the TP not know that the start of most lines needs a capital letter? iOS does.

Vyer said:
can you elaborate? I hope there is a workaround
I do the same with iOS, when you press the add bookmark command, you get the option to add the link to the favourites tab on the launcher. You can then rearrange them in there. With iOS all my most used sites are on a springboard page as an app icon.

numble

Nick Laslett said:
here's where I think it is a problem. When you write a post, you are taken to a refreshed version of the thread. You then could push the back button a few times to get back to where you were, or just choose the forum section you were viewing. In a fast moving forum like neogaf, that forum section now looks completely different and you might have to goto next page before you find the thread that caught your eye earlier.

does that make sense?
Push the back button to go back to the forum section, and you get the cached version that you want. I don't want a cached version to load when I click a link. When I click a thread because I want to see updates, I don't want to see the cached version of stuff I read already. I want to see updates.

numble said:
Push the back button to go back to the forum section, and you get the cached version that you want. I don't want a cached version to load when I click a link. When I click a thread because I want to see updates, I don't want to see the cached version of stuff I read already. I want to see updates.
Yes I understand what you are saying, we just prefer different outcomes.

I must be in a small minority that actually prefers the way the TP browser does things versus all the other browsers I have experienced.

I'm happy to concede that for the vast majority of people I expect the caching approach on the TP to be seen as a negative.

Dreams-Visions said:
idk. It's cool, it just lacks. and for $100-$150, it's quite the steal indeed. I'd certainly buy it again. I just wish it was more stable.

I have an iPad 2 and Touchpad. And I have to say RIM's and HP's approach to taking on Apple were laughable (this also applies to the Xoom).

They messed up in pricing it just lower, the same price or higher than the iPad. iPad has Apple branding, an already established mind share (people think tablet they think iPad).

iOS is obviously a bit mature, so why would you send out funky code to compete against it (RIM, Motorola and HP). We've complained adnauseum (sp) about Web OS' sluggishness, the browser, poor ereader software and pdf capabilities.

This thing came out AFTER the iPad 2, so there's no way they couldn't have seen that Apple's device is thinner, the back of the iPad is metal (or other tablets with ruggedized plastic), etc.

But for the $100 price tag and the effort of the community, it's a decent product. Besides the Transformer, the Nook and the 7" Galaxy, are there any other tablets that will honestly make a dent in Apple's marketshare? Price is going to be the only factor.

"hello gaf"

Posting from my Touchpad for the first time! Just got mine today with my aunt who came from USA. It's my first time using a multitouch device, and I like it!

First questions:

1. When I tried to open the Facebook app it asked to select a "shopping country" and said I won't be able to change it later. I'd like to choose USA to have access to the most apps (I presume?), but what if my CC gets declined then I'd be locked out of the app store forever? Is there a way to reset that setting?

2. How do I enable h264 videos? I thought I only need to disable Flash but I did that and opened a youtube link but video didn't play?

Feels good to join the thrifty race!

Spiderjericho said:
Besides the Transformer, the Nook and the 7" Galaxy, are there any other tablets that will honestly make a dent in Apple's marketshare? Price is going to be the only factor.
there are no tablets eating into Apple's marketshare at this point.

The sum total of all competing Android-based tablets is like 1.5 million sold. vs like 30 million iPads or something. The margin is ridiculous, but the tablet market is different than the phone market where competing devices are less than $100 (or even free) and where the iPhone had been locked to just one carrier for years. In the tablet market, the price is the price...and you have to justify paying similar money to an iPad for something that's not an iPad.

It's a tough road to hoe.

georgc said:
So I can't find these things anywhere. when will i be able to get one?
maybe eBay/Craigslist or never, at this point.

venne

Spiderjericho said:
I have an iPad 2 and Touchpad. And I have to say RIM's and HP's approach to taking on Apple were laughable (this also applies to the Xoom).

They messed up in pricing it just lower, the same price or higher than the iPad. iPad has Apple branding, an already established mind share (people think tablet they think iPad).

iOS is obviously a bit mature, so why would you send out funky code to compete against it (RIM, Motorola and HP). We've complained adnauseum (sp) about Web OS' sluggishness, the browser, poor ereader software and pdf capabilities.

This thing came out AFTER the iPad 2, so there's no way they couldn't have seen that Apple's device is thinner, the back of the iPad is metal (or other tablets with ruggedized plastic), etc.

But for the $100 price tag and the effort of the community, it's a decent product. Besides the Transformer, the Nook and the 7" Galaxy, are there any other tablets that will honestly make a dent in Apple's marketshare? Price is going to be the only factor.
Nothing until Windows 8 devices arrive.

It's funny looking at the Windows 8 tablet demos. The bezel gestures are things I thought the Touchpad would definitely have. Kind of disappointed considering the execution of webOS on phones.

Hello all this is fnj00. I am the site host and was the guy you saw in all the videos under the account fnj001. I would first like to say to the community and team CM I am sorry for all the drama that has unfolded over the past few days/weeks and would like to clear it all up with the community and CM. I am doing this fully on my own will without any backing from whats left of team-touchdroid.

I was in no way involved in any of the active development beyond testing builds and posting videos. Any information I collected and posted, whether valid or not, was from other team members. I have since removed all invalid and discrediting content from the site.

The code for our touchscreen driver was found on a public pastebin which was believed to be from team CM by some of our team members. This was later proven by team CM as well as other publicly posted channel logs. Some team members decided to use this code against team CM and not publicly credit CM team for this release which was wrong.

As the drama unfolded the team began to break up and its trusted members are no longer actively working on a port for the HP touchpad under this team.

I have plans to release a system dump from my touchpad of what the team had to the community to allow any individuals to continue work on this vanilla port to the touchpad. I will also include instructions on getting this running on the touchpad.

Further information on this release will be posted here on the site.
http://team-touchdroid.com/team-cm/

SRG01

At any rate, CM is almost done according to their latest video. All they need to do is to get the WiFi working and they'll have all of the essentials done.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
dalingrin is a hero.

I like webOS, but once CM8 and ICS come out, I'm hoping it'll be a decent enough tablet OS to jump on over. CM7 though - not a chance. 2.3.5 is for phones, through and through.

Lyphen said:
dalingrin is a hero.

I like webOS, but once CM8 and ICS come out, I'm hoping it'll be a decent enough tablet OS to jump on over. CM7 though - not a chance. 2.3.5 is for phones, through and through.
What's CM8?

Lyphen said:
dalingrin is a hero.

CM7 has tablet tweaks, though.

Jo-El

Computer said:
The CM team is not interested in the bounty for Android on the TouchPad. Should we win, we want the entire sum donated to charity.

(@kmobs on Twitter)
I like these guys :)

Lyphen said:
dalingrin is a hero.

It will be very hard to migrate If they dont get hardware acceleration and the android app shop working.

Lyphen said:
Tablet tweaks are only back/home, etc. buttons in the notification bar. Nothing more.

What more would you like? Just curious because I've never used Honeycomb, but I think I prefer my phone's gingerbread to webOS. If just for the swype keyboard alone.

Man I'm in love with this tablet. I didn't even think I wanted a tablet and just bought it because it was cheap, and right until I was unwrapping it tonight I was saying "I just want to check it out, if I don't like it I'll sell it." -- but now I'm smitten!

it's funny because in hindsight it was obvious that I badly needed a tablet, or at least a proper smart phone. I have a Nokia C5, which is a gimped "smartphone" with a tiny screen and keypad and no wifi, and I spend a crazy amount of time accessing the internet on it every single day, suffering from the tiny screen, squinting to read the font, cramping my thumb on the keypad, and paying needlessly for every KB downloaded on my data plan even when I'm at home because the phone has no wifi.

Although I have two laptops, they're not as portable or convenient to use in many situations I find myself in everyday, and their battery life left a lot to be desired. So the tiny phone it was. Moving to a tablet with a much larger screen and keyboard in a relatively small form factor is bliss.

Now the only question is if I'd still feel the "need" for a tablet when I upgrade to a new phone with a larger screen, like the rumored 4"+ display on iPhone 5. Time will tell.

Oh and I'm in love with webOS, everything feels smooth and intuitive, and I haven't even done any of the performance tweaks yet. Shows how badly I've had it on mobile devices (never used iOS or Android, so I don't know what I'm missing)

Toby

New round of free apps:

Atlantis Sky Patrol HD
Take flight to destroy Doomsday devices that have been planted around the world in over 100 levels. Easy to learn, but difficult to master, this unique marble-popping adventure is nearly impossible to put down!
Promo code: gsmww76669rudab

Video Flood HD
Whether you are looking for video podcasts, TV shows or movies, Video Flood HD has you covered. View full episodes or video podcasts.
Promo code: njoqi78204xxucw

Britannica Kids: Solar System
Explore the secrets of the Solar System in a fun and engaging way. Learn and play at the same time through a variety of games.
Promo code: ogeuq49821kdztn

TapNote
Quickly jot notes in TapNote and optionally sync them to Dropbox for easy access from anywhere.
Promo code: dqbip28944awhev

saunderez

Chesskid1 said:
very early release, not recommended. touch-droid's work they released since they are disbanding or whatever.

http://touch-droid.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2
I gave this a go this morning and its not worth the effort at this stage. The colours are all off, there's no soft buttons and I couldn't manage to get net access over USB working. At least it's easily reversible but I'm waiting for CM before I waste any more time on it.

Toby said:
New round of free apps:

Atlantis Sky Patrol HD
Take flight to destroy Doomsday devices that have been planted around the world in over 100 levels. Easy to learn, but difficult to master, this unique marble-popping adventure is nearly impossible to put down!
Promo code: gsmww76669rudab

Video Flood HD
Whether you are looking for video podcasts, TV shows or movies, Video Flood HD has you covered. View full episodes or video podcasts.
Promo code: njoqi78204xxucw

Britannica Kids: Solar System
Explore the secrets of the Solar System in a fun and engaging way. Learn and play at the same time through a variety of games.
Promo code: ogeuq49821kdztn

TapNote
Quickly jot notes in TapNote and optionally sync them to Dropbox for easy access from anywhere.
Promo code: dqbip28944awhev

Do we get this in canada?

God damn it, I tried adding two different credit cards and an Entropy virtual visa card but the HP app store won't take them. I guess I'm SOL on buying paid apps or using of these free coupons.

Top Bottom