• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Oh app store broken for everyone? then I hope some of the error messages I got when trying to add a CC were due to the traffic load and it might work later.

HP Touchpad – CM7 close to being functional

Posted by Phil Tann on September 8th, 2011 1:00 PM

We’re close, VERY CLOSE to getting CM7 on the HP Touchpad.

From all reports coming from the Cyanogen Mod team, the only major issue they have left to address is Wi-Fi.
CM7 is booting successfully, Multitouch is working successfully and sound is working successfully.

The release of CM7 for the Touchpad is setup for dual boot, so my purchase of the 32GB over the 16GB may pay off sooner rather than later.
http://ausdroid.net/2011/09/08/hp-touchpad-cm7-close-to-being-functional/

antonz

Cyanogen team has been doing a fantastic job.

Just a shame after the first round of controversy the thieves in Touch Droid continued to trick people. They managed to make off with over a thousand dollars and multiple touchpads donated to them for "development" purposes.

jgkspsx

Shut out on the free apps. Oh well.

I have to say, the calendar is one of the prettiest and most functional apps I've used for anything. I still wish you could type into dropdowns, but oh well.

People who use their calendar, email, Facebook, and instant messaging (except MSN/Yahoo? Don't remember) will get a lot out of this operating system. I am a busy person in the real world, and webOS helps me manage that much more satisfactorily than Android.

Kolgar

Also, fuck you HP for sending me an email thanking me with free apps and then giving me codes that are used up as soon as I log on.

Utterly stupid and frustrating as there are so few apps on the damn thing anyway.

edit: Wait, did no one get the apps? Hm.

I certainly couldn't get them. For the first time I had my TP handy when the codes were released, and the fucking app store was down when I tried to redeem them.

This shit be ridiculous.

jgkspsx said:
Shut out on the free apps. Oh well.

I have to say, the calendar is one of the prettiest and most functional apps I've used for anything. I still wish you could type into dropdowns, but oh well.

People who use their calendar, email, Facebook, and instant messaging (except MSN/Yahoo? Don't remember) will get a lot out of this operating system. I am a busy person in the real world, and webOS helps me manage that much more satisfactorily than Android.
Do you have any problems with new emails (gmail) not showing up until you go to that label and manually refresh?

PrivateWHudson said:
Do you have any problems with new emails (gmail) not showing up until you go to that label and manually refresh?

I have this problem all the time, leaving the card open is not enough, i have to manually refresh.

SRG01

Computer said:
http://ausdroid.net/2011/09/08/hp-touchpad-cm7-close-to-being-functional/

I already posted the video of their progress last page :<

RukusProvider said:
So will this Droid setup have hardware acceleration? meaning the browser and such will maximize the hardware potential?

Yes, it has HW acceleration, as demonstrated by the smoke live wallpaper during CM's progress video.

elty

Anyone use Comic Shelf HD? It is giving me problems - won't load or take extremely long time to load some CBZ file, ranging from 50MB-100MB with 100-200 JPEG inside.

elty said:
Anyone use Comic Shelf HD? It is giving me problems - won't load or take extremely long time to load some CBZ file, ranging from 50MB-100MB with 100-200 JPEG inside.

I had problems with it not displaying some of my CBZ, i had to reboot the device.

Also i know its a lot of work, but if you want speed, it might be worth it to resize all the pictures inside your cbz/cbr to the TP native res, you can use something like this: http://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm to automate the process, should take you like 1 minute per cbz.cbr file.

amitlu

Banned
elty said:

Just open them up and split them into multiple cbz/cbr.

edit: the app author recommends keeping them under 60mb.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Jamesfrom818 said:
I don't even press mine. Just use the swipe up function.

What what? How? I try swiping up an open window (full-screen) and nothing happens.

dream said:
My home button is recessing deeper and deeper every day...

That sucks, i will stop using it.

Something i have noticed in mine is that the left side of the screen, if i put my thumb on the bezel, a bit under the upper speaker when held in portrait, it actually creaks and it bends pretty bad.

And i need to hold it like that because the speaker hurts my hand if i hold it any other way.

saunderez

Plinko said:
What what? How? I try swiping up an open window (full-screen) and nothing happens.
Swipe diagonally in the bottom corners of the screen. Start from the bezel. I find this the easiest way to minimise a card. Check you don't have gestures disabled if it doesn't work.

Jamesfrom818 said:
I don't even press mine. Just use the swipe up function.
The swipe function is probably the most annoying thing ever. When browsing NeoGAF, I'll sometimes accidentally bring up the cards menu. And if I don't realize it fast enough, I'll still swipe up, which of course closes the web browser.
Can you disable it?

dream

Here's the punchline!

I mostly use the up swipe gesture too. My home button is literally sinking deeper and deeper into the case without being used.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Wanted to share this awesome ad I got today in the mail

2011-09-09%25252013.41.39.jpg

J-Rod

zephervack said:
That sucks, i will stop using it.

Something i have noticed in mine is that the left side of the screen, if i put my thumb on the bezel, a bit under the upper speaker when held in portrait, it actually creaks and it bends pretty bad.

And i need to hold it like that because the speaker hurts my hand if i hold it any other way.

Mine creaks on the left too. Supposedly that is where they pop the screen out on disassembly so it is going to have some give there on all of them. I checked a couple of other pads and they flex there too, but didn't have the annoying creak mine does.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Kinitari said:
Wanted to share this awesome ad I got today in the mail

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ENuFf43Sjhc/TmpP6sVPpbI/AAAAAAAAAWQ/6Iu12k4TNAA/2011-09-09%25252013.41.39.jpg[/IM][/QUOTE]

Aarons probably had people going to Best buy and other places buying up touchpads so they can gouge poor people out of hundreds of dollars

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Well, already this week my new Touchpad had paid for itself. Not only have I enjoyed using it immensely, it came in very handy at work where I used it as a note taking device for my companies sales meeting.

In fact, after using all the patches I found from an article (I googled Touchpad patches) even GAF works pretty well, to the point where I feel I can use it on a regular basis and indeed I am posting this on my device.

For a £120 tablet, and soon to receive a version of Android to play with, this is possibly the best thing I have ever bought.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
dream said:
Here's the punchline!

I mostly use the up swipe gesture too. My home button is literally sinking deeper and deeper into the case without being used.

I'm pretty sure your tablet hates you. I know that, if I happened to be your HP tablet, I'd hate your ass too. I'd explode in your hands so I wouldn't have to cache another whiny post complaining about a product like you're being forced to use it.

dream

VanMardigan said:
I'm pretty sure your tablet hates you. I know that, if I happened to be your HP tablet, I'd hate your ass too. I'd explode in your hands so I wouldn't have to cache another whiny post complaining about a product like you're being forced to use it.

Did you know webOS 3.0.2 actually stops timers in background apps because:

This was a change made in webOS 3.0.2 for performance reasons, as we were seeing background cards make the foreground app much less responsive.

true multitasking, VanMardigan, true multitasking.

dream said:
Did you know webOS 3.0.2 actually stops timers in background apps because:

true multitasking, VanMardigan, true multitasking.

This is ridiculous, why not just check the load of an app and just kill it if its using too much, how much can a stopwatch use.

elty

Saw a tweet #touchpad claiming to be 2.3.5 installation video guide. Work block youtube so no idea if real. Also heard they have GPU acceleration.

freshair

So it turns out webOS's browser cache is far too over aggressive, to the point that a web page will never show updates unless the refresh button is pressed. The only answer I've found? Totally disabling cache.

Sure that means pages will load slower, but I still think that's better than a quick initial cache load followed by a manual refresh after realising your reading 3 hour old news.

This will work with both the default browser and Advanced Browser.

1. Install Preware if you haven't already (google will help you with this)
2. Install Internalz Pro from Preware.
3. Open Internalz Pro -> app name in top left corner of the screen -> Preferences -> turn on 'Master Mode' -> app name again -> close
4. Open /etc/palm/browser-app.conf
5. Change the following:

MemCacheMinDeadBytes=0MB
MemCacheMaxDeadBytes=0MB
MemCacheTotalBytes=0MB
DiskCacheEnabled=false

6. Reboot your tablet (Luna restart isn't enough)
7. Done

http://coreyau.blogspot.com/2011/09/disable-weboss-flawed-browser-cache.html

Any one know if this works?

rkn

So having this tablet since the first day of the fire sale (running all speed patches, touch patches, plus uberkernel, tried warthog but wouldn't install), I've officially stopped using it, it's just still too damn slow for browsing, the text is ugly as sin, choppy scrolling, using flash for video, while sometimes is convenient for that one site that doesn't serve native video, is also a terrible user experience, choppy video, unregistered touches when trying to pause / restart. Feels (no scratch that, IS) slower than my out of date original iPad.
But I'm still keeping it, Android can't come soon enough. 99 bucks is still a steal, just needs a new OS.

joshschw

rkn said:
So having this tablet since the first day of the fire sale (running all speed patches, touch patches, plus uberkernel, tried warthog but wouldn't install), I've officially stopped using it, it's just still too damn slow for browsing, the text is ugly as sin, choppy scrolling, using flash for video, while sometimes is convenient for that one site that doesn't serve native video, is also a terrible user experience, choppy video, unregistered touches when trying to pause / restart. Feels (no scratch that, IS) slower than my out of date original iPad.
But I'm still keeping it, Android can't come soon enough. 99 bucks is still a steal, just needs a new OS.

I made a list of things I hated about this thing a few pages back and totally neglected to mention this... Awful, awful, awful! I'm assuming it's not the screen itself and Android would fix this.

dream

rkn said:

See Firestorm, I'm not making this stuff up!

I'm not nearly creative enough to make up a product as terrible as the TouchPad.

Top Bottom