• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

dream

joshschw said:
I made a list of things I hated about this thing a few pages back and totally neglected to mention this... Awful, awful, awful! I'm assuming it's not the screen itself and Android would fix this.

It's not the screen. Text is fucking hideous, rendered inaccurately, and terribly aliased in portrait unless you zoom in.

TheExodu5

Banned
dream said:
It's not the screen. Text is fucking hideous, rendered inaccurately, and terribly aliased in portrait unless you zoom in.

Yep. Besides the browser, this is my biggest issue with WebOS. The scaling is terrible.

eastmen

Banned
I'm liking the touch stone i just got. I have it set up for facebook when I'm on my pc and i can see when friends send me messages about games or doing stuff. Wish it had an aim plug in so I could dump facebook

dream

eastmen said:
I'm liking the touch stone i just got. I have it set up for facebook when I'm on my pc and i can see when friends send me messages about games or doing stuff. Wish it had an aim plug in so I could dump facebook

HP Synergy doesn't support AIM? I could swear webOS 1.x did.

dream

I'm not even sure what I'd expect from AIM in Exhibition mode. Would it display IMs that I can't respond to?

Here are some CM7 news:

ENz2Q.jpg

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
So I have this thread to autorefresh every 60 seconds and its nice to have up-to-date android porting thanks to Computer and others :D

elty

So ComicShelf HD doesn't like the zip file created with DotNetZip..... switching my BatchCropper to use 7za and now it works...

Firestorm

Anyone have a link to how to manually update your TouchPad and install PreWare? The original post in that topic was edited out to sell an app instead...

Still can't properly play xvid .avi, free version of KalemSoft is the phone version and runs all wacky on the Touchpad.

HP won't accept my credit card, ugh.

Edit: Oh right, I can use Touchplayer... too bad it's not GPU accelerated so will probably drain battery more (?)

keiichi

Naked Snake said:
Still can't properly play xvid .avi, free version of KalemSoft is the phone version and runs all wacky on the Touchpad.

HP won't accept my credit card, ugh.

Where did you get the package from? There should be TP version, and the demo version of that.. I think 0.3.6+ plays xvid videos perfectly for me.

Bleepey

Stop It said:
Well, already this week my new Touchpad had paid for itself. Not only have I enjoyed using it immensely, it came in very handy at work where I used it as a note taking device for my companies sales meeting.

In fact, after using all the patches I found from an article (I googled Touchpad patches) even GAF works pretty well, to the point where I feel I can use it on a regular basis and indeed I am posting this on my device.

For a £120 tablet, and soon to receive a version of Android to play with, this is possibly the best thing I have ever bought.

How do you use it fof notes. I hate typing on it and too my knowledge there isnt a notepad like app for handwriting.

gkryhewy

Firestorm said:
Anyone have a link to how to manually update your TouchPad and install PreWare? The original post in that topic was edited out to sell an app instead...
I share this question, despite the weirdo reply that followed.

LCfiner

butter_stick said:
Why wasn't it the first thing you did?

because I already have an iPad and I was more curious to see what state HP shipped the touchpad to the public than OC and tweak it right away to optimize it

keiichi said:
Where did you get the package from? There should be TP version, and the demo version of that.. I think 0.3.6+ plays xvid videos perfectly for me.

I downloaded it from Preware. I read somewhere that Preware on TP will only show you TP versions of the apps. I guess that's not true.

Unknown Soldier said:
Get the latest beta from Kalemsoft's website:
http://www.kalemsoft.com/site/downloads2.html

0.37 plays almost everything flawlessly for me with a 1.8 OC. They are promising subtitles support in the next version, if that is for real I will probably be buying it soon.

Thanks! I only got my TP a couple of days ago and installed Preware today, still learning the ropes. Loving it so far though.

Is anyone else using the F4 Phantom kernel? The two cores are always active but it seems to jump up to top speed without any scaling. It shouldn't be jumping up to 1.7 GHz just because I put my finger on the screen.

I'm using the F4 and don't worry about spikes to highest clock rate, that's normal. 99% of the time it will be idling at 192mhz and the battery life difference is minimal unless you are blasting 720p HD videos for hours constantly. If you are, then you want the highest clocksped for smooth playback.

I haven't tried a full-length movie, mainly because I don't have any HD movie files <4 GB. LOL HP FAT32 :|

I could leave some animes running I guess, but I don't know what you consider a high bitrate. If you encode something and upload it I would be happy to download it and try playing if you want. Or you could just OC yours and see how it goes.

Unknown Soldier said:
I haven't tried a full-length movie, mainly because I don't have any HD movie files <4 GB. LOL HP FAT32 :|

I could leave some animes running I guess, but I don't know what you consider a high bitrate. If you encode something and upload it I would be happy to download it and try playing if you want. Or you could just OC yours and see how it goes.

Oh right, forgot about FAT32, buggers. High bitrate would be 6GB+ I'd say (depends on content of course, anime would compress well I presume).

Best eBook reader(s)?

LCfiner said:
because I already have an iPad and I was more curious to see what state HP shipped the touchpad to the public than OC and tweak it right away to optimize it

I don't know why anybody would buy this if they have an iPad.

LCfiner

butter_stick said:
I don't know why anybody would buy this if they have an iPad.

I was curious and it was a bit of an impulse buy since I jumped in the night of the sale before it became a chore to find one. There’s no way I would’ve gone to all the trouble other people around here went through to find one.

and, yeah, I figured if I did hate it that I could resell it and make up most of my money. but, as it stands, I’ll just keep it around and have this in one room and the ipad in another.

money wasn’t an issue. 100 bucks for this is practically nothing.

EDIT

and in the past hour I installed prewire, fixed the caching nonsense, sped up the device a bit and it’s much less annoying now a a web browser. even more reason to keep it around.

kharma45

Naked Snake said:
How did you get a file over 4GB on your Touchpad?

I'm talking through my arse, it's around 3GB in size. I was getting mixed up from reading somewhere in a review that you couldn't get files 2GB+ in size to play when I found there to be no problem using Kalemsoft.

Sorry about that, probably should go to bed, need to get up in 5 hours or so, hence my talking shite.

En-ou

so my skype contacts dont load up on the touchpad, what gives? do you need some premium subscription skype account for this to work on the touchpad?

Top Bottom