• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Unknown Soldier said:
I'm using the F4 and don't worry about spikes to highest clock rate, that's normal. 99% of the time it will be idling at 192mhz and the battery life difference is minimal unless you are blasting 720p HD videos for hours constantly. If you are, then you want the highest clocksped for smooth playback.

But it shouldn't be normal. When I put my finger on the screen and drag it around a bit, it doesn't need both cores at 1.7 GHz to compute what I'm doing. Its like driving a car that can only do 10 mph or 65 mph but nothing in between.

Downhome

En-ou said:
so my skype contacts dont load up on the touchpad, what gives? do you need some premium subscription skype account for this to work on the touchpad?

I was having the same problem. I would go to the phone and it would only show people from my various contact lists, like FB, etc... What I figured out is that you have to go to that screen, and make absolutely sure you're signed into your Skype account. Just opening the program doesn't do it, you have to sign in yourself. Once you do that your Skype contacts will pop up.

Jamesfrom818 said:
But it shouldn't be normal. When I put my finger on the screen and drag it around a bit, it doesn't need both cores at 1.7 GHz to compute what I'm doing. Its like driving a car that can only do 10 mph or 65 mph but nothing in between.

This being WebOS, I'm guessing it really does need 1.7 GHz x 2 for that. :3

TouchDroid

What currently works:
Booting into Android
ADB commands via ADB
Touchscreen support (Multi-touch, 10 fingers)
Power button and volume button layout

What does not currently work:
Camera
CPU/GPU Acceleration
Wifi/Bluetooth
Compass/Mag
Home button
Power Management
Sound
Vibration
Being able to run Metal Gear Solid, the best PSX game ever made.

CyanogenMod

What currently works:

Booting into Android
ADB commands via ADB
Touchscreen support (Multi-touch, 10 fingers)
Power button and volume button layout
CPU/GPU Acceleration? (Confirmed by ciwrl)
Compass
Power Management

What does not currently work:
Camera
Mag
Home button
Vibration
Being able to run Twisted Metal 4, the second best PSX game ever made.

Whats currently being worked on:
Wifi/Bluetooth (Bluetooth powers on)
Sound (confirmed in #cyanogenmod)

IRC Logs:
<@ciwrl> touchpad build may fu-bar usb partition
<@ciwrl> the lvm resize has the possibility of overwriting/corrupting the usb partition

<@ciwrl> webos wifi module is responding, still not working proper
<@ciwrl> E/WifiService( 228): Failed to load Wi-Fi driver.
<@ciwrl> as we speak they just got it initially working
<@ciwrl> " first complains about a timeout, then instead of assigns itsef random "testing" mac address and works"
<@ciwrl> so, needs to be cleaned up

<@ciwrl> they are already focusing on delivery mechanisms (ease of install)
<@ciwrl> we'll be doing the dual boot as well
http://touch-droid.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13

how do we delete the search engine addon? It keeps adding those at the top and if i touch it , it adds them. I do not want to add them. I want to delete some of them.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I just bought an unlocked Veer plus Touchstone for $115. I couldn't help myself. I don't need it but I'd like a tiny phone in certain situations. Anyone else have one?

R2D4 said:
Anyway to turn off the screen from going dark after 10 min? I want it to stay on all the time when plugged in.

I think I've seen that somewhere, either in a Preware patch or in device settings.

What I would like to do is disable automatic stacking of cards when I open a new browser window.

Argyle

Bboy AJ said:
I just bought an unlocked Veer plus Touchstone for $115. I couldn't help myself. I don't need it but I'd like a tiny phone in certain situations. Anyone else have one?
Where did you get your Veer? I would spend that for my next travel phone...

Does anyone else use the alarm clock? I had it set up so I could give medicine and feed my sick newborn. At first, it was working, but now it hardly ever goes off.

I saw the same thing posted on pre central. Gah.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Twisted Metal 4? The man is on some serious crack that's making him delusional. I've lost faith in Cyanogen ever happening for the TP.

tino

Banned
Bboy AJ said:
You could have gotten a Pre Plus for 30 bux. It's basicall same size as Veer and equally useful.

<@dalingrin> hopefully i can get this homework done and then work on the wifi
<@dalingrin> might post a video with CM and wifi tonight on rootzwiki and such
<@dalingrin> just to gvie folks an update

Multitouch, hardware accel, colour fix - all working! | NO, GPS/BT/Gyro/Camera isn't working yet, check back later | Wifi partly working'
(#CMTouchPad on IRC)

I really should have bought palm phone. I focused on touchpad too much and forgot about palm pre phones. Although it woulld not have helped much as I use wind mobile and I do not think phones offer that freequency

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
tino said:
You could have gotten a Pre Plus for 30 bux. It's basicall same size as Veer and equally useful.
It's not the same size as the Veer.
XWZBH.jpg

1WgOm.jpg

The difference is noticeable to me. I wanted tiny since I have my HTC Sensation for 95% of the time. It'll be nice to have a tiny phone for when I want to save space, travel, etc. Appreciate the post, though.

freshair

Unknown Soldier said:
Touchpad draws the desktop ESPN site like a champ. The Flash videos are mostly ok too, a bit of choppiness.

Replays play fine, but it's the live matches where the video quality bar is over 2 that it starts to stutter for me. :(

R2D4 said:
Anyway to turn off the screen from going dark after 10 min? I want it to stay on all the time when plugged in.
Launcher > Settings > Screen & Lock

There are options for Auto dim, and Turn Off screen after X minutes.

eastmen

Banned
R2D4 said:
No I want what's on the browser to stay on all the time. I'm using it for ESPN's FantasyCast.
there is an app you can buy that will put any website into exhibtion mode and update it every x amount of time.

You might want to check it out its called Luna and is free

I tried installing the F15C kernel and pushed for 1.9ghz. My Touchpad crashes and reboots itself the moment I try to enable 1.9, so I guess 1.8 is as far as mine will go until that psycholinux guy figures out how to enable voltage adjustments. I'm back on F4 now. It flies pretty good at 1.8 at any rate, I don't know that 1.9 would give me a whole lot more grunt at this point.

The new version of Kalemsoft Media Player has hit the HP App Store. It's now at version 0.4.0. Subtitles support still isn't in yet but the guy says he's working on it.

I tried out the Music Player Remix app. It isn't Touchpad-aware so it runs in that stupid tiny phone. It also isn't aware of the concept of compilations either. So far the stock Music app, the free Audiophile HD Pro app, and Music Player Remix all don't seem to understand compilations. Sigh.

I'll give Google one thing, their Android stock music player app is the most bare-bones music player app in history but at least it understands compilations and it sorts music correctly into albums even when an album has different artists. Plus there are several good apps on Android for you to download missing cover art, there's nothing at all for WebOS in the category of downloading cover art. My Droid X is also a lot smaller than my Touchpad, it's hard to use a TP as a portable music player and stick it in your pocket.

Somebody hacked the Steam version of Machinarium and encapsulated it into a standalone WebOS app. Machinarium is originally a Flash-based game on PC. I don't know how they did it but the framework they developed can let you embed almost any Flash into a standalone app, so people can port all the Flash games they want now I guess. It's pretty crazy to think you can do this on WebOS. People say it runs great too. I don't own Machinarium on Steam and so I haven't tried it myself.

There's an early build of ScummVM for Touchpad now. It's a bit janky right now but it works.

There's a version of DOSBox for Touchpad on Preware but when I downloaded and installed it it flashes a logo at me and goes to a black screen. I'm not sure how to set it up, there isn't any documentation for it.

If you haven't done it already, get an app called JSTop from Preware. It can be set to automatically perform Javascript Garbage Collection if you leave it running in the background. This helps with performance and memory management of apps which use JS, and the OS, and lots of stuff in WebOS uses JS.

Another update on the progress of CM on the Touchpad. Was posted on the RootzWiki site by one of the developers. Still lots to do before we see a release.

fattire said:
"Almost done" is a bit optimistic.

Wifi is working (more or less) in cm7 from the UI as of this morning thanks to amazing work by dharix who did some creative module source tweaking to put together something that would build against the cm kernel. It works with cm userspace and is checked into the repo.

There are still big issues to be addressed-- lots of ioctl errors in logcat; if you hit the power button to sleep, the wifi won't come back when the rest of the tablet does. Also, some apps crash or freeze the screen, though this could be a problem with the lack of sound locking things up. Signal strength is not being reported correctly either.

There are probably more huge problems to be discovered as not enough of the team has gotten it going. But y'know, it's a start, and the browser is really fast, the twitter client/widget work, mail app, weather app/widget works... needless to say anything involving video/sound does not.

Thanks to iomonster for figuring out a permissions error this morning :)

kharma45

YouTube Cosmic Panda actually isn't too bad a UI for touchscreens, works well on my TouchPad. Would rather a dedicated app but it'll do for now.

elty

With Android port progressing nicely I can't decide if I should spend money on apps. I don't like Android 2.x on a tablet, but the lack of even some basic apps on webos is pretty annoying.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
elty said:
With Android port progressing nicely I can't decide if I should spend money on apps. I don't like Android 2.x on a tablet, but the lack of even some basic apps on webos is pretty annoying.

It seems like there will be dual boot anyway so not everything is lost if you go to Android

elty

Yes you can dual boot, but it doesn't make sense to switch around OS just for different apps. Most ideal would be android app player within webos - like the rumor QNX.

LCfiner

Dunlop said:
If WebOS is being discontinued, couldn't google make a legitimate honecomb OS for the touchpad?

technically the touchpad is being discontinued and webOS is not.

Google has strict rules for making Android and Google sanctioned devices. they’re not gonna touch the touchpad with a ten foot pole because there’s no active support.

Argyle

If any of you are familiar with the Honeycomb browser and like the "advanced controls" that pop up when you swipe in from the right, check out the "Add ThumbNav Controls" patch...now if they could add quick controls to jump to the top and bottom of the page on that...:)

Is exhibition mode meant to be used all night? Because "My Town", 84° is burned into the display somehow. Whenever I'm on a dark background, I can see it clearly.

Piece of shit
lol.gif

irfan said:
^ same screen as the iPad2. If you call the screen PoS for you not knowing the device properly, then yes its shit. :D
Not the screen's fault, obviously. But Apple was wise enough not to encourage users to use the iPad 2 as a nightstand clock. Especially bad since it automatically does it when I dock it, so I can't be alone.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Leona Lewis said:
Is exhibition mode meant to be used all night? Because "My Town", 84° is burned into the display somehow. Whenever I'm on a dark background, I can see it clearly.

Piece of shit
lol.gif
WTF?

Higgy

Sorry for the question but I found one of at Aaron's last Thursday and I'm trying to find an app like Ibooks that I can just drag my books and PDF's into. I can't find one or I'm not looking in the right place. Thanks for any help.

Higgy said:
Sorry for the question but I found one of at Aaron's last Thursday and I'm trying to find an app like Ibooks that I can just drag my books and PDF's into. I can't find one or I'm not looking in the right place. Thanks for any help.

Preader or Preader Native are pretty much it. There isn't a Nook app. You can't side load in Kindle from what I've heard. If you put PDFs on the Touchpad, the Adobe Reader will let you read them. The only problem is it doesn't remember the last page you read (which sucks).

Higgy

Spiderjericho said:
Preader or Preader Native are pretty much it. There isn't a Nook app. You can't side load in Kindle from what I've heard. If you put PDFs on the Touchpad, the Adobe Reader will let you read them. The only problem is it doesn't remember the last page you read (which sucks).

Thanks for the information! I'll try those pronto.

Downhome

Is it possible to save a PDF file, from the TP while on a website, and then open the same file to read later on the TP? If so, how?

Downhome said:
Is it possible to save a PDF file, from the TP while on a website, and then open the same file to read later on the TP? If so, how?

Yes. I just went on the Linksys website and downloaded the user guide for one of their wireless routers on the Touch Pad. I opened Adobe Reader and it was there.

I was just trying to watch as stream on Justin.tv, and it was definitely stuttering, but it was hard to tell if it was the stream or the Touch Pad.

3N16MA

Banned
Leona Lewis said:
Not the screen's fault, obviously. But Apple was wise enough not to encourage users to use the iPad 2 as a nightstand clock. Especially bad since it automatically does it when I dock it, so I can't be alone.

Press the sleep/wake button and the screen turns off when docked.

Leona Lewis said:

Piece of shit
lol.gif
Restart and wait a bit and it goes away. Nothing to worry about.

Top Bottom