• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

sfedai0

Banned
Ok guys, so I got some books in mobi format. Opens in Kindle on my laptop fine, but it doesnt show up at all on the TP. Ive dragged the folder and even by individual book in to the kindle folder on my TP, but no go.

Also, wtf is it with the USB cable?? Every time I disconnect, it cries the warning sign?

3N16MA

Banned
sfedai0 said:
Ok guys, so I got some books in mobi format. Opens in Kindle on my laptop fine, but it doesnt show up at all on the TP. Ive dragged the folder and even by individual book in to the kindle folder on my TP, but no go.

Also, wtf is it with the USB cable?? Every time I disconnect, it cries the warning sign?

I believe that the Kindle apps does not accept any ebooks but Kindle store bought books. No sideloading.

Birbo

sfedai0 said:

I used a method I found on the pre-central forums:

1. download a few free books from amazon into the kindle app. Ensure you can open them in the kindle app
2. Using Calibre, convert your desired book to .mobi
3. Connect the touchpad to your PC via USB mode
4. Copy the converted book to /media/internal/.palmkindle
5. Rename the converted book to the name of one of your free downloaded books (e.g. myconvertedbook.mobi -> B002D48NUA_EBSP.asw)

The new book name will still be the same as the downloaded free book. You could even copy the cover art (.jpg) to /coverCache, naming the jpg to B002D48NUA-small.jpg to see the cover. You will be able to read the book ok... just remember which free download is your desired book.

sfedai0 said:

Are you ejecting the device first?

Birbo said:
I used a method I found on the pre-central forums:

1. download a few free books from amazon into the kindle app. Ensure you can open them in the kindle app
2. Using Calibre, convert your desired book to .mobi
3. Connect the touchpad to your PC via USB mode
4. Copy the converted book to /media/internal/.palmkindle
5. Rename the converted book to the name of one of your free downloaded books (e.g. myconvertedbook.mobi -> B002D48NUA_EBSP.asw)

The new book name will still be the same as the downloaded free book. You could even copy the cover art (.jpg) to /coverCache, naming the jpg to B002D48NUA-small.jpg to see the cover. You will be able to read the book ok... just remember which free download is your desired book.

Are you ejecting the device first?

for me even if i do that it will say ouch that hurt next time do eject but I already did and waited long and said it was ok to remove that is why i did

Mission

crazy monkey said:
for me even if i do that it will say ouch that hurt next time do eject but I already did and waited long and said it was ok to remove that is why i did

Ditto. Ejected and did the one in the system tray and it still gave me that message.

IceCold

Hp Canada is so fuckin stupid. They are not even shipping the touchpads from oldest to newest... Look at this table that somebody made on red flag deals using data he got using a script:

wgEPO.jpg

As you can see, if you ordered on Monday, you had a bigger chance of getting your touchpads shipped than if you had ordered on Sunday or Saturday. Makes no sense.

I just want to know if I'm getting my HP.ca touchpad so I can decide what to do with the 2nd 16GB I have

I know I'm selling one of them to a friend and my mom is taking the other l

IceCold said:
Hp Canada is so fuckin stupid. They are not even shipping the touchpads from oldest to newest... Look at this table that somebody made on red flag deals using data he got using a script:

wgEPO.jpg

As you can see, if you ordered on Monday, you had a bigger chance of getting your touchpads shipped than if you had ordered on Sunday or Saturday. Makes so sense.

HP Touchpad Canadian shipping: Serious Business

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
The_Reckoning said:
Looks good, I have one question though. Does it block the up swipe gesture with the lip when help horizontally?

Nope. Well, it depends on the position you hold the tablet. As you can see, one side of the Touchpad lip is covered completely by the case strap. So if you're holding it in an orientation where the uncovered lip is on the bottom, you're free to do the up swipes. It's a sturdy case, I'm not afraid of the Touchpad falling out if I hold it with the uncovered lip facing down.

qOYPJ.jpg

Also, that's a misleading pic because it's impossible for the case to stand up like that. If you fold it correctly to use as a stand, the uncovered lip will naturally be on the bottom, so up swipes are not blocked.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm one of the few that likes the official HP Touchpad case. Not for $50, mind you. But still, it's very lightweight and makes the tablet extremely usable. The only real issue with it is that the hinge feels like it should be a little sturdier, but it seems like it'll hold just fine anyways.

The Touchstone dock is sweet, and the keyboard is pretty sleek. This should make a decent GAF posting device for when I don't feel like alt-tabbing or changing inputs on my TV.

The Touchstone is really sweet. Inductive charging is definitely the future, once they get it small enough that cell phone size isn't significantly impacted by the coil inside. I think the HTC Thunderbolt also has an inductive charging coil and that phone is a brick.

The HP Touchpad might end up like the tablet equivalent of the HTC HD2, a phone which originally ran Windows Mobile 6.x which was abandoned after the move to WP7. Since then, they have ported Ubuntu, Android, and WP7 to that phone, making it the only cell phone which can quad-boot OSes. If the Touchpad ends up working with WebOS, Ubuntu, Android, and Windows 8, it will be like the HD2, abandoned by the original manufacturer but hacked to run just about everything.

freshair

Anyone else use bluetooth headphones with their TP?

I think it may be a bug within kalemsoft, but whenever I play an mkv file, the audio doesn't seem to work. Works with youtube, music and avi xvid/divx files though... >__>

tino said:
If this doesn't convince people a $99/$199 tablet will dominate the industry, I don't know what will.

Sure, if you don't mind losing billions of dollars a year. It costed HP $300 to build each Touchpad, not including all other costs related to product development, marketing, logistics and shipping, demo units, etc. Nobody wants to do what Sony did during the early years of the PS3, not on something like a tablet which has a questionable profit potential. At least with the PS3, Sony was betting on both the game console's success and the success of the Blu-ray format, they had a lot to gain if the PS3 ultimately paid off.

Everyone's frenzying over Touchpads because it's a $500 product you could get for $100. That's essentially a once-in-a-lifetime deal, since only HP would be so incompetent as to firesale them like this rather than just drop them to $300 or something and close out at a narrow loss instead of this fiasco.

dream

Yeah, but that's fueled by the hysteria the $99 price point generated. I think HP would have sold a couple of $299 TouchPads, but I don't think there's any way it would have been an event like the $99 fire sale caused.

How is the Touchpad with a stylus (do I need a specific HP one?) as a tool for drawing / painting?
I am not sure if people even do that on the Touchpad, but am wondering since I would like to mess around with it as a creative tool as well once I receive it. :)

Leshita said:
How is the Touchpad with a stylus (do I need a specific HP one?) as a tool for drawing / painting?
I am not sure if people even do that on the Touchpad, but am wondering since I would like to mess around with it as a creative tool as well once I receive it. :)

I don't think this type of touch screens work with stylus at all. Same with iPad, iPhone, etc.

There is a company that sells special kind of "stylus" that works with the iPad, but it's not ideal.

kharma45

Naked Snake said:
I don't think this type of touch screens work with stylus at all. Same with iPad, iPhone, etc.

There is a company that sells special kind of "stylus" that works with the iPad, but it's not ideal.

There are a few capacitive stylus' on the market now, and a few companies (like HTC with the Flyer and Samsung with the Galaxy Note) are starting to bring them back.

Souljiro

elty said:
There is a new Manga Reader HD app for Touchpad... I wonder if that is any good. $2.99

Well worth the money the download feature is the most important for me since I ride the train to work. Tons of manga slick interface haven't had any issues so far. You might as well get it now because the next version price is going to be $3.99.

Fox Mulder

tino said:
If this doesn't convince people a $99/$199 tablet will dominate the industry, I don't know what will.

it's been said a million times, but selling a tablet at a loss would really only makes sense for one or two companies with other services to push. You don't lose billions making hardware just to get a cut of app market sales.

Amazon would be the prime candidate to sell a great tablet at a loss for like $200 just to push their brand and growing digital services, but they pussied out and went for the nook market instead.

elty

Souljiro said:
Well worth the money the download feature is the most important for me since I ride the train to work. Tons of manga slick interface haven't had any issues so far. You might as well get it now because the next version price is going to be $3.99.

It will some how find manga online (legitimate or pirated?) and download it for you?

tino

Banned
Pachterballs said:
maybe in 2020 when specs go up, and prices come down.

You probably don't remember how much were the first batch of netbooks. If the tablets drop as fast as the netbooks, they should get to 150/200 in 2-3 years. 2013 Black Friday. Believe.

Souljiro

elty said:
It will some how find manga online (legitimate or pirated?) and download it for you?

I don't know where the app pulls the manga from I'm guessing from various websites that host them you might want to ask the author if it's legitimate or pirated. When you use the app you can browse a list of manga titles and choose to read the chapter while you online or download for later use offline.

Gav47

My Touchpad is coming sometime next week, should I get a screen protector for it? I'm finding conflicting reports of wither or not it has gorilla glass.

Naked Snake said:

I guess I'll just resort to my fingers then. ;p

SaitoH

Question about the Inductive charger. Does it hurt the battery life to leave it on exhibition mode on the charger? I kinda like the idea of leaving it on display as a digital decoration that I can pick up and surf without having to power up.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Souljiro said:
I don't know where the app pulls the manga from I'm guessing from various websites that host them you might want to ask the author if it's legitimate or pirated. When you use the app you can browse a list of manga titles and choose to read the chapter while you online or download for later use offline.
So I decided to try the manga reader app and it seems functional enough, although it's missing quite a few niche titles.

I'm not sure how offline mode works though - how do you get it to download and cache titles for offline browsing? When I turn off the wifi, it just says that I need to go online.

crazy monkey said:
which one is better? Asphalt or need or speeD?
I've played both on iPhone, and I bought Asphalt on my TP. If NFS is the same game with higher textures, like Asphalt is, then Asphalt would be the way to go. Great game.

SaitoH said:
Question about the Inductive charger. Does it hurt the battery life to leave it on exhibition mode on the charger? I kinda like the idea of leaving it on display as a digital decoration that I can pick up and surf without having to power up.

Nobody knows what is going on with WebOS's battery management. There's a thread on Precentral where people talk about it. Chances are your Touchpad will be long obsolete before the battery becomes useless from end of charge lifetime anyways.

I received my Best Skins Ever skin for Touchpad and put it on today. Wet application of skins is crazy, I basically had to get it soaking wet with soapy water to properly apply the skin. I hope it still works when I try to turn it on again.

SaitoH said:

From what I read using a device while charging does hurt the battery, it's called "parasitic load" or something. How much it hurts it I don't know. I try turn off my devices while charging.

You WILL hear people shooting down the above, because they don't like it.

Edit:

Some portable devices sit in a charge cradle in the on position. The current drawn through the device is called the parasitic load and can distort the charge cycle. Battery manufacturers advise against parasitic load because it induces mini-cycles. The battery is continuously being discharged to 4.20V/cell and then charged by the device. The stress level on the battery is especially high because the cycles occur at the 4.20V/cell threshold.

A portable device must be turned off during charge. This allows the battery to reach the set threshold voltage unhindered, and enables terminating charge on low current. A parasitic load confuses the charger by depressing the battery voltage and preventing the current in the saturation stage to drop low. A battery may be fully charged, but the prevailing conditions prompt a continued charge. This causes undue battery stress and compromises safety.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

elty

Some version of Asphalt HD is free for now on iOS app store, not sure if it is free here.

I was reading anandtech and apparently there is a Windows 8 tablet demo with some Qualcomm SoC that looks pretty much the same as the Touchpad one (sans the embedded GSM/HSPDA chip). It was said to be running at 30 fps, so not as smooth as the Intel (I assume they referred to the core i5 Samsung demo unit?) variant. Would be cool if it can triboot into ICS, webOS and Windows 8.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4811/windows-8-tablets-running-on-ti-qualcomm-nvidia-amd-intel-silicon

Chesskid1

Banned
elty said:
I was reading anandtech and apparently there is a Windows 8 tablet demo with some Qualcomm SoC that looks pretty much the same as the Touchpad one (sans the embedded GSM/HSPDA chip). It was said to be running at 30 fps, so not as smooth as the Intel (I assume they referred to the core i5 Samsung demo unit?) variant. Would be cool if it can triboot into ICS, webOS and Windows 8.

people were talking about this in rootzwiki. most likely would be illegal. something about only OEMs will have access to the windows 8 ARM build, and it will be illegal to post the modified windows 8 image as well.

would be nice though, even though i only have a 16GB.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Man, that patch someone posted a few pages ago that prevents the touchpad from caching has saved browsing on the device for me. Fantasy sports on yahoo, browsing on gaf, etc. are all great now that I don't have to worry about hitting refresh or getting the old cache of a website.

Souljiro

firehawk12 said:
So I decided to try the manga reader app and it seems functional enough, although it's missing quite a few niche titles.

I'm not sure how offline mode works though - how do you get it to download and cache titles for offline browsing? When I turn off the wifi, it just says that I need to go online.

While online click on the view chapter section you should see an arrow pointing down in the right hand corner. After that you should be able to select which chapters you want to download for offline use.

Krakatoa

VanMardigan said:
Man, that patch someone posted a few pages ago that prevents the touchpad from caching has saved browsing on the device for me. Fantasy sports on yahoo, browsing on gaf, etc. are all great now that I don't have to worry about hitting refresh or getting the old cache of a website.

Can you point me in the direction of the patch? thanks

LCfiner

VanMardigan said:

absolutely.

if anyone else was on the fence about installing preware on this thing, this modification makes it totally worth it (the overclocking helps, too).

the caching was so bad, I would almost call the default browsing behavior as broken. At least now it works as one would expect.

Chesskid1

Banned
i'm about to try scummvm emulator for the old adventure games. always thought those type of games should be played on touchscreen, now to see just how good it is.

going to pass on the snes/n64 emulators for now, gonna wait to android for i can use wii or ps3 controller. do not want to play those with touchscreen controls. gonna be awesome for trips.

edit: just saw square-enix is making android games now

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=445022

aww yeah :)

Top Bottom