• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

is anyone getting calls on their touchpad about the security protection on your touchpad is not active. Visit so and so website to activate it? Fucking scammers. I don't want your automated phone calls.

Esperado

So my Touchpad came in from QVC yesterday and I'm having a little buyers remorse. I've had a Nook Color with CM7 for about half a month and, in comparison, the Touchpad feels clunky, heavy, and a little too large. Also, there is the part about it not having very many apps. Right now I'm still weighing my options until Friday when I'll decide whether to sell the Nook, the Touchpad, or even both. I know android is coming, but I feel like it'll probably be January before it's as stable as say a Samsung or Asus tablet, and by then those will probably be in the $300 range and possibly even less. Right now my feeling is that I should probably sell it while I have the chance to at least recoup my costs and, depending on how greedy I'm feeling, possibly a little extra on the side.

Argyle

SaitoH said:
Bah, that sucks. Thanks for the info.

Good thing the TouchPad does not do this then - I am pretty sure it is safe to use it on the Touchstone. You can watch the charging current in Govnah if you like, once it hits 100% it doesn't charge or use the battery at all, it just uses the power from the Touchstone.

Older Palm devices used to cycle the battery between 90-100% though (at least my old Pre did)...

More discussion here:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad/290829-tp-constantly-touchstone-any-risks-3.html

QZ6wM.png

Is there a Delete key on the on-screen keyboard that I'm missing? It sucks that when I realize I made a mistake in typing a few words back, I need to try several times to get the cursor in a good position to use the Backspace key. Would be much easier if there was a Del. key.

Gowans

just got a 32gb today, hacked & overclocked, it was really easy.

Put so e tweaks on too but what are the must have apps? & tweaks.

what's the progress of the android port?

Gowans007 said:
just got a 32gb today, hacked & overclocked, it was really easy.

Put so e tweaks on too but what are the must have apps? & tweaks.

what's the progress of the android port?
Android booting, dual-boot functioning, 3D hardware acceleration working, touchscreen fully working, wifi partially working, audio, accelerometer and Bluetooth being worked on.

Gowans

Computer said:
Android booting, dual-boot functioning, 3D hardware acceleration working, touchscreen fully working, wifi partially working, audio, accelerometer and Bluetooth being worked on.
When will it be ready for release?

Gowans007 said:
When will it be ready for release?

I think whenever it will be done. I want the teams to take as much time as possible and make it extremely noob friendly. like touch and install nothing else. Making it perfect is way more important than anything else.

Dunlop

wow the ui is awkward (or its just me)

How do you download demos? Specifically the Kalem Media player, I can't seem to find any other media players out there

IceCold

I'm loving webos. It's just a shame that it doesn't have many apps.

Also I just discovered the bird's eye view in the bing maps. :0

Kahoona

Sooo my Touchpad hard locked today...is there any way to turn it off that isn't the power button or do I play the waiting game between me and the battery? The screen won't even go in to sleep mode.

Krakatoa

Some more freebies from the HP Store...grab em quick

Flashcards

Learn. Master a language, prepare for an exam, teach children anything, or just quiz your trivia knowledge. You can learn anything, anytime, anywhere.
Promo code: nepli53194rgrgy

Beyond Ynth HD

Explore. Embark on an epic adventure that will take you beyond anything you have ever experienced before!
Promo code: bcygh79860zcxqa

iCookbook™

Discover. Over 2,000 recipes selected by food editors with tools to help you find and prepare great meals.
Promo code: ueboo78492mrejd

Supersonic HD

Play. An adrenaline-charged, music-driven 3D ride game. Blaze through radiant neon racing circuits at ever faster speeds, accompanied by electronic beats.
Promo code: lriws64715ynhbu

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
NONE of the apps that have EVER been offered for free show up on my Touchpad, presumably because of region restrictions (I live in the US). Amazing, and here I was thinking that the app situation on Touchpad was worse than it really is, lol.

I'm contemplating wiping my touchpad and starting over and making sure that I'm set to US, but since I'm not confident it'll work, I won't bother. Man, they sold a lot of these down here, good thing no one paid full price. I would've been pissed.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Hahahaha holy shit.
My second Touchpad just shipped from HP.ca (got my first one from the Shopping Channel) AND it's going to arrive tomorrow. Good times.

I ordered at 12:30 AM on Monday, August 22nd btw.

Dunlop

freshair said:
Did you enable dev mode and install preware using webos quick install?

d/l here: http://www.kalemsoft.com/site/demos/com.kalemsoft.ksmplayera_0.4.0_tp.ipk

then just connect, drop into wosqi and install! luna restart may be required if it doesn't show up

I have a really moronic question. I am in the process of installing quick install but to unlock dev mode I am supposed to go to Just Type and enter either code...how do I type anything when I am in Just type? it is a bunch of toggles

edit: nevermind I really am stupid, was at the just type icon in the settings

edit great video if you are as slow as me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FETH4t_yBY&feature=player_embedded#!

sfedai0

Banned
Guys, I used HP Play to transfer my songs from iTune to the TP. Now like 1/4 of my songs are missing from iTunes. Any solutions?

kmfdmpig

IceCold said:
Anybody know what's the best, free, way to play videos and check comic books (.cbr files) on the touchpad?

I don't think there is a free comic reader on Webos. Once it has an Android Port then Perfect Viewer is the best, IMO, while JJ Comics is a decent second.

Comicshelf HD is a fairly good comic reader, which will soon be updated to make it quite a bit better. It's like $3 or so.

Videos, if they're in the right format, should play through the gallery or picture viewer.
Kalemsoft has a free version which is on PreWare. I think it's more limited than the paid version, but it should cover a wider range of codecs, etc... I used to have problems with some videos on the paid version, but the recent update fixed them.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Just got my HP Charging Dock and HP Keyboard today. Charging dock is cool how it charges the Touchpad wireless and changes into a clock when not in use. Keyboard is decent but I dont know if I will ever really use it that much.

Android progress is incredible.

I turned my Touchpad on after waiting 24 hours from when I applied the skin, as the directions state. The good news is, everything seems to work just like it did before. Except now I have a sweet skin on it. The base hardware is a fingerprint black hole, the skin is much nicer about that. So I guess I'll call it a successful application.

Dunlop

Unknown Soldier said:
Android progress is incredible.

Can't wait, there is really not much on WebOS and I don't want to spend money knowing I will be putting on android as soon as there is a stable version

Dunlop

I did all the preware patches last night but this morning there was a WebOS update that installed. Do I need to re-apply the patches?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Dunlop said:
I did all the preware patches last night but this morning there was a WebOS update that installed. Do I need to re-apply the patches?
There is a new WebOS update? What?

Downhome

I have a 32gb TP. When a stable version of Android is available, just how much space will it likely take to install it on the TP?

Gav47

Downhome said:
I have a 32gb TP. When a stable version of Android is available, just how much space will it likely take to install it on the TP?
Most Honeycomb ROMs are only 100mb in size, I'm not to sure how much space the Google Apps take up but with everything installed I cant see it being any larger than 250MB.

Chesskid1 said:
new video for CMTouchpad coming tonight according to twitter

[qupte]For those asking: new video of #CMTouchpad later tonight most likely. There are a few more features that we'd like to sneak in.

[URL="[/URL]

when asked about sound/updates

<> sound does not work completely and most all of the work is by Jonpry
YpUOJ.jpg

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Chesskid1 said:
new video for CMTouchpad coming tonight according to twitter

https://twitter.com/#!/dalingrin

when asked about sound/updates

<@dalingrin> sound does not work completely and most all of the work is by Jonpry
Can't wait to see it.

While I hope that someone will rescue WebOS (HTC I'm looking at you), the prospect of Android on the device is really exciting. Yes, it might be a while before it is 100% stable, but once it is here (And forms the base for the move to ICS), I'll be very happy.

Stop It said:
Can't wait to see it.

While I hope that someone will rescue WebOS (HTC I'm looking at you), the prospect of Android on the device is really exciting. Yes, it might be a while before it is 100% stable, but once it is here (And forms the base for the move to ICS), I'll be very happy.
Facebook Should Buy WebOS, Jefferies Analyst Proposes

Well, here is the weirdest idea of the day so far.

Jefferies analyst Peter Misek wrote in a research note this morning that Facebook would be the best buyer for Hewlett-Packard‘s WebOS software business.

It is also important to note that Misek thinks none of the other potential suitors are likely to bid.

“Many of the natural potential buyers for WebOS seem content with keeping their opex low and dual-sourcing their OS from Android and Windows,” including Sony Ericsson, ZTE and Huawei. “Others have spent resources internally developing an OS,” including Samsung’s Bada, Baidu’s Yi and Amazon‘s upcoming Android offshoot). “HTC has said that they would consider buying WebOS but are not in a hurry. Nokia has tied its future to Microsoft. Due to Facebook’s scale, developer community, and movement toward media (e.g., music) and communications (Messenger), it is possible that an acquisition of an OS asset like this could be a good option. Checks with developers indicate that they would support a potential Facebook OS, and industry sources have noted Facebook’s historic interest in a mobile OS or heavily influencing one.”

Misek notes that carriers and to some degree handset makers want a third viable smart phone ecosystem to go along with Apple and Android. “Windows is the front-runner, but historically Microsoft’s mobile strategy has been poorly executed,” he writes. “An acquisition of WebOS could allow another player to take advantage of any stumbles. Also, some Android vendors are concerned that Google‘s acquisition of [Motorola Mobility] could lead to vertical integration and leave them with only Windows.”

I’d note that HP only paid $1.2 billion for Palm; you would have to think Facebook could get WebOS for that much or even less, given the paucity of bidders. I have no idea if Facebook really wants to be in the OS business, but they do have huge reach, with 750 million users, and they have a proven ability to work with app developers and make them successful. (Hello, Zynga!) Whether Facebook actually wants to compete with the likes of Apple, Google and Microsoft in the mobile phone business remains to be seen.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsav...-should-buy-webos-jefferies-analyst-proposes/

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
IceCold said:
Anybody know what's the best, free, way to play videos and check comic books (.cbr files) on the touchpad?

If by playing video you mean streaming, there's Orb Caster, which is completely free, and there's the Kalemsoft Video player, but that's a free trial.

IceCold

Do you guys ever turn off your touchpad, or do you simply press the button once to put it into sleep mode? Powering up the touchpad takes a long ass time but I don't know if it's bad to never turn it off.

Top Bottom