• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

LCfiner

IceCold said:
Do you guys ever turn off your touchpad, or do you simply press the button once to put it into sleep mode? Powering up the touchpad takes a long ass time but I don't know if it's bad to never turn it off.

never turn it off. tablets are designed to be instant on.

Rengoku

So, I got a new touchpad today, I'm looking to hack it and tweak it, but before I go that route, is it save to update the touchpad with all the latest patches? Is there some patch/firmware I have to be aware of that would disable the hacks?

IceCold

Rengoku said:
So, I got a new touchpad today, I'm looking to hack it and tweak it, but before I go that route, is it save to update the touchpad with all the latest patches? Is there some patch/firmware I have to be aware of that would disable the hacks?

I don't think so. Hp doesn't mind preware. Use this as a guide: http://www.touchpadplus.com/

deduce

Have yourself a Supersonic Friday! (HP/Palm Blog)
Have yourself a Supersonic Friday!

Let’s be frank: Could there be any better way to start your weekend then kicking into some radiant Supersonic HD neon-racing action on your HP TouchPad with a soundtrack provided by Finnish artist collective Kitkaliitto pouring out in all its Beats Audio goodness?

Of course there is. And that would be if you could somehow get the 5-star-rated Supersonic HD app for free. If you weren’t able to grab it in time from our email promotion yesterday, here’s another chance -- and this promotion includes codes for customers in the US, Germany, Canada, UK, and France.

Once again, supplies are limited, and the promo codes expire at 12:01 AM on September 24 (or until the available inventory is gone). And if you already have a promo code on your account, you may want to use that up before applying a new code. Here are the codes you'll need in each country where this promo is available:

US snrjv07942odtxk

Canada zrveg50737oetln

Germany bsloe63889rthvp

UK nnoys53451cnijp

France vnwcb01014xljgi

And trust me: Kitkaliitto makes a much better soundtrack for your Friday than Rebecca Black. (Forgotten her already?)

And now for a word from legal:

App Promo Rules

Eligibility Requirements: HP employees, HP reseller partners, HP customers and HP webOS developer partners are eligible to use the Weekly App Promo codes. Promo participants require a TouchPad with a current functioning user profile; with credit card purchasing enabled. The promo codes above will expire on 9/24/11 at 12:01 am PST. Promo codes are available for as long as inventories last.

Customers with an existing promo credit in their account may be unable to redeem these codes, and the price of the app will be deducted from their current credit.

To redeem this offer select the desired app for purchase in the HP App catalog, selecting the option to purchase using a promo code, and when prompted enter the promo code. No charges will be made against your credit card, but you will receive a receipt.

The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Third-party software available separately. Within wireless coverage area only. Requires data services at additional cost. Not all apps available on all devices.

Within wireless coverage area only. Actual speeds may vary. Email, mobile number, and related information required for setup and activation. Required data sold separately; unlimited plan recommended and may be required. Not all web content may be available. All screen images simulated.

Jon Zilber

Gav47

Is there any reason the 16GB and 32GB Touchpads are clocked at 1.2GHz rather than the 1.5GHz of the 64GB versions? Does the 64GB version have a larger battery to compensate for the increased clock speed?

The Galaxy S II has the same processor (the APQ8060 SoC) and its clocked at 1.2GHz as well, is the thing just huge power drain when clocked higher or is it a reliability problem.

elty

Gav47 said:
Is there any reason the 16GB and 32GB Touchpads are clocked at 1.2GHz rather than the 1.5GHz of the 64GB versions? Does the 64GB version have a larger battery to compensate for the increased clock speed?

The Galaxy S II has the same processor (the APQ8060 SoC) and its clocked at 1.2GHz as well, is the thing just huge power drain when clocked higher or is it a reliability problem.

I think there are 2 variants of Galaxy S II. One uses 1.2 Ghz Samsung A9 SoC, one uses 1.5 Ghz Qualcomm APQ8060.

From WIKI
Galaxy S II LTE
Announced on August 28, 2011, the LTE version contains an upgraded 4.5 inch screen, a 1850 mAh lithium-ion battery, and an upgraded 1.5 GHz dual-core Snapdragon processor, as opposed to the 1.2Ghz Exynos processor.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
freshair said:
cC9Pm.gif

GOT DAMN

Gav47

Wow they are really making great progress with CM7 but I think I'll wait until they release Ice Cream Sandwich, the phone UI just looks silly on the bigger screen.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Gav47 said:
Wow they are really making great progress with CM7 but I think I'll wait until they release Ice Cream Sandwich, the phone UI just looks silly on the bigger screen.
Come on baby, Windows 8 ARM beta in 6 months, please!

thirty

Banned
Krakatoa said:
Some more freebies from the HP Store...grab em quick

Flashcards

Learn. Master a language, prepare for an exam, teach children anything, or just quiz your trivia knowledge. You can learn anything, anytime, anywhere.
Promo code: nepli53194rgrgy

Beyond Ynth HD

Explore. Embark on an epic adventure that will take you beyond anything you have ever experienced before!
Promo code: bcygh79860zcxqa

iCookbook™

Discover. Over 2,000 recipes selected by food editors with tools to help you find and prepare great meals.
Promo code: ueboo78492mrejd

Supersonic HD

Play. An adrenaline-charged, music-driven 3D ride game. Blaze through radiant neon racing circuits at ever faster speeds, accompanied by electronic beats.
Promo code: lriws64715ynhbu
Thanks. Do you have to input credit card info? Just tried to get from the store but nowhere to put promo codes

IceCold

thirty said:
Thanks. Do you have to input credit card info? Just tried to get from the store but nowhere to put promo codes

Yes. You have to put your credit info and then it will ask you if want to pay using your credit card or a promo code.

Fatalah

Gav47 said:
I used to think the same, but CM's tweaks have improved things. ICS would be sick. After Microsoft's strong showing this week, now I'm hoping for someone to work on Windows 8!

IceCold

At first I disabled the option of receiving from hp, but now I want to re-enable it so that I know when they are releasing promo codes. How do I do that?

Cruzader

Banned
So CM team is doing all the work or is Rootzwiki contributing anything? I hope CMT are getting all the funds if so. The other guys to me seem like they just cause drama and get nothing done.

Hope im wrong.

Mission

Cruzader said:
So CM team is doing all the work or is Rootzwiki contributing anything? I hope CMT are getting all the funds if so. The other guys to me seem like they just cause drama and get nothing done.

Hope im wrong.

I'm fairly certain rootzwiki is just a place for developers to coordinate projects like this one. I believe CM wasn't open to having members of Team Touchdroid join them even before things went bad. That's understandable. It's important to stick with a team that works similarly and is past their ego stage, or at least where the members understand and can deal with each other's egos.

Peagles

Posting from my new Birthday present, an HP Touchpad! Woo hoo!

So... Disable the web cache, anything else? Do we have a good catch all guide for beginners here?

antonz

Cruzader said:

Hope im wrong.
Heres what I can more or less gather from all the drama. Touch Droid was a scam group from the beginning. MIT 15 year old caught on and so the team outed him and threw him under the bus claming he was a thief stealing funds etc.

Touch Droid then continues on taking in thousands of dollars in donations and numerous free touchpads only to be outed as a sham group that was stealing code claiming it was theirs etc.

Unknown Soldier said:
Looks like 3D acceleration isn't working yet, because the 3D parts of Quadrant were running like ass at the end there.
Apparently, that video was recorded with only one of the two CPU cores enabled, and the media engine (responsible for sound) had a bug which took up 50% of the CPU.

Now, the media engine bug is fixed, and both cores are enabled. I'm not sure, but it sounds like the performance should now be at least triple from what it was in the video.

I don't know if the 50%, one core CPU problem was responsible for the slowdown during that section, but that's what a couple people on RootzWiki stated. Edit: Yeah, it was the reason.

Metalmurphy said:
Is it safe to update WebOS before or after putting Preware on it?
Update after. If you update before, I think everything will be erased. But it'll technically be safe either way. (Even if it isn't, you can always use WebOS Doctor to fix problems.)

Why would you do that? said:
Update after. If you update before, I think everything will be erased. But it'll technically be safe either way. (Even if it isn't, you can always use WebOS Doctor to fix problems.)

I just wanted to know if WebOS updates are gonna prevent homebrew and such, but apparently that's not the case.

kharma45

Metalmurphy said:
I just wanted to know if WebOS updates are gonna prevent homebrew and such, but apparently that's not the case.

Yeah it's fine to update, my TP came with 3.0.2 already installed and I was worried about not being able to install Preware but it was fine.

Yes, WebOS is not a closed system. Therefore, installing Preware, honebrew, and such is a simple matter of typing in a code to enable Developer Mode (the Konami code!) and you're done.

friskykillface said:
what are you guys using for screen protectors and cases for the touchpad?

there are so many and i am wondering whats good.
I hate screen protectors but I'm using the official HP case. It's nice.. doesn't add any bulk.

I am enjoying my Touchpad thus far, but have there are a few problems I have right now:

- MSN Messenger, how to access without much hassle?
- Images of higher resolution downloaded and viewed in the photo program are pixellated like hell (tried to view a comic panel in the photo program)
- My digital copies of movies within my iTunes cannot be viewed with the default video program (.m4v encoded with what I think is .h264)
- Also Youtube seems pretty janky compared to my iPhone 4

kharma45

Leshita said:
- Also Youtube seems pretty janky compared to my iPhone 4

I've found YouTube to be pretty solid, and whilst I'd prefer a dedicated app the Cosmic Panda UI does an alright job of making it more finger friendly.

krae_man

How do you safely remove the USB cable after you're finished transfering files?

I click "safely remove hardware" and get the "it is now safe to remove your device" message and my touchpad still yells at me for not doing it right.

krae_man said:
How do you safely remove the USB cable after you're finished transfering files?

I click "safely remove hardware" and get the "it is now safe to remove your device" message and my touchpad still yells at me for not doing it right.
I've only tried it in Windows XP and Linux.

It works in Linux, but not XP. It should still be safe to remove if you do that in XP, though.

Why would you do that? said:
Apparently, that video was recorded with only one of the two CPU cores enabled, and the media engine (responsible for sound) had a bug which took up 50% of the CPU.

Now, the media engine bug is fixed, and both cores are enabled. I'm not sure, but it sounds like the performance should now be at least triple from what it was in the video.

I don't know if the 50%, one core CPU problem was responsible for the slowdown during that section, but that's what a couple people on RootzWiki stated. Edit: Yeah, it was the reason.

This thing is going to be a MONSTER in Android if this is true. The Adreno 220 GPU is supposed to be better than the Nvidia Tegra 2 at 3D based on GLBenchmark 2.1 runs on Android smartphones with similar SoCs. (The APQ8060 in Touchpad is merely the MSM8660 in the HTC Evo 3D without the cellular radio.)

For $100 or $150 Touchpad owners will be getting a tablet which probably outperforms the $600 Motorola Xoom and Asus Transformer. And that's BEFORE overclocking. At 1.8 ghz the Touchpad running Android will destroy the Xoom and Transformer in performance.

antonz

Unknown Soldier said:
This thing is going to be a MONSTER in Android if this is true. The Adreno 220 GPU is supposed to be better than the Nvidia Tegra 2 at 3D based on GLBenchmark 2.1 runs on Android smartphones with similar SoCs. (The APQ8060 in Touchpad is merely the MSM8660 in the HTC Evo 3D without the cellular radio.)

For $100 or $150 Touchpad owners will be getting a tablet which probably outperforms the $600 Motorola Xoom and Asus Transformer. And that's BEFORE overclocking. At 1.8 ghz the Touchpad running Android will destroy the Xoom and Transformer in performance.
Yep the Touchpad has really great hardware under the hood. WebOS really hurt it due to poorly optimized software etc. Once this has a good optimized OS etc on it its going to be an amazing tablet that people got for under a Benjamin

krae_man said:
Man the video codec support is horrible on this thing. I'm going on a trip tomorrow so I caved and bought the $7 app.

No subtitle support. Boo!

Any app or preware hack to add scrolling bars? Kind of annoying when you're mainly browsing message boards with 50 posts per page.

Mook1e

I got my order for two 32GB touchpads out on the 21st, and I'm being told I have to wait 6-8 weeks before receiving my touchpads. Is anyone else in this situation?

br0ken_shad0w said:
No subtitle support. Boo!

The author is promising subtitles support soon. I'm waiting for that too.

Any app or preware hack to add scrolling bars? Kind of annoying when you're mainly browsing message boards with 50 posts per page.

Nope, and it's the most annoying thing about browsing GAF on my Touchpad now that the caching has a workaround.

Hedami Music Player Remix has been updated to 2.5.1, and it supports Touchpad now!

Cool things it does: searches Google to download album art, lets you set favorites, has a custom playlists features called Flylists, scrobbles to Last.fm (for you social music listeners).

It does not, however, support compilation albums yet. I wish there was a way I could contact this guy and explain to him very slowly and clearly that when the <Album Name> tag is the same but the <Artist Name> tag is different, the correct behavior is to put all the songs in the same album, not have 5 albums listed with the same name but different artists!

Top Bottom