• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

sfedai0 said:
Thanks but Im stuck on step 4
4. Open /etc/palm/browser-app.conf

Where do I open that?

Couldn`t find browser-app either so I just downloaded the patch on post 59 and it did it for me. So much faster without caching (musta been not caching properly).

About multi-tasking... I love WebOS's multitasking very, very much. I can even have a couple diffferent games open at once, while browsing the web. It'll be the thing I miss most when I put on Android.

But the only other OSes I've used are Android 2.2 and an old iOS without multitasking. How does Honeycomb (I read it has actual multi-tasking, similar to WebOS's cards) and current iOS compare?

dream

Why would you do that? said:
About multi-tasking... I love WebOS's multitasking very, very much. I can even have a couple diffferent games open at once, while browsing the web. It'll be the thing I miss most when I put on Android.

But the only other OSes I've used are Android 2.2 and an old iOS without multitasking. How does Honeycomb (I read it has actual multi-tasking, similar to WebOS's cards) and current iOS compare?

I think webOS multitasking has always been overblown. Take your example -- the games you're playing are paused in the background while you're using the web browser anyway, so why does it matter if it's "true multitasking" (which webOS 3.0.2 takes steps away from) anyway?

I think iOS and Honeycomb does the same things with more responsiveness and greater efficiency.

Firestorm

Unknown Soldier said:
Touchpad is about to become the best Android tablet on the market. So, no.
Isn't it Gingerbread? It won't be the best Android tablet on the market 'til it runs Honeycomb or later imo.

Rorschach

And yet, I open a couple of browser windows and they suddenly become unresponsive and blurry as fuck. :|

kehs

Banned
Firestorm said:
Isn't it Gingerbread? It won't be the best Android tablet on the market 'til it runs Honeycomb or later imo.

Seriously, if Honeycomb on tablets is like syphilis, then Gingerbread is going to be like having the black plague.

You don't want the black plague, do you dream?

dream

Rorschach said:
And yet, I open a couple of browser windows and they suddenly become unresponsive and blurry as fuck. :|

Oh I know. webOS has terrible memory management.

I got a Too Many Cards error with 3 apps open the other day. This thing has a gig of ram!

Copernicus said:
Seriously, if Honeycomb on tablets is like syphilis, then Gingerbread is going to be like having the black plague.

You don't want the black plague, do you dream?

It's okay. It's open and, thus, curable.

kehs

Banned
dream said:
Oh I know. webOS has terrible memory management.

I got a Too Many Cards error with 3 apps open the other day. This thing has a gig of ram!

It's okay. It's open and, thus, curable.

Open to become a superbug version of the black plague, like the black and blue plague.

hayejin

What's the proper way to restart the touchpad?
I"m restarting using Internalz b/c the ComcShelfHD won't read the cbr directory unless it's a fresh restart.
But when I do, I lose all the shortcuts moved to Favorites????? Only the one I had put before I installed preware seems to show up again but everything else is gone back to Downloads.
Any help?

dream

He'll never admit it but Coperdickus has always hated webOS. He just wanted to make Ulairi and MrPliskin feel better.

kehs

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
It's so cute to see Coperdickus switch to Hate Mode after he gets shot down trying to a Touchpad of his own. Cute, and also kind of sad.

Switch to hate mode? It's the only mode I know.

dream said:
He'll never admit it but Coperdickus has always hated webOS. He just wanted to make Ulairi and MrPliskin feel better.

You'll rue the day you said I hated webOS, it'll be your nightmare.

dream said:
I think webOS multitasking has always been overblown. Take your example -- the games you're playing are paused in the background while you're using the web browser anyway, so why does it matter if it's "true multitasking" (which webOS 3.0.2 takes steps away from) anyway?

I think iOS and Honeycomb does the same things with more responsiveness and greater efficiency.
On iOS I can't browse GAF, click a YouTube link with a cool song on it, let the song play and switch back to my GAF window and return to browsing and posting as the song plays.

dream said:

Well I haven't used Honeycomb or new iOS, so I can't compare. If Honeycomb can easily switch between open applications in a way similar to WebOS (and looking at a video online, it seems to), then I'll be quite happy.

I've had an Android 1.5 phone for a year before switching to 2.2 a few weeks ago. From my past experiences, I'm unable to go away from a game, then go on a web browser for a while, then open a PDF, then switch back to the game and play from where I've left off. Then if I want to go back to the PDF, I'll have to re-open it and find my place again. I can't switch applications with expectations of returning to them in Android. In WebOS, I can.

That said, I still like Android better, and it'll probably be even better on a great tablet than my cheesy phones.

Rorschach said:
Oh yes, that's extremely annoying. I have no idea how that browser is so messed up... At least it runs Flash okay.

polyh3dron said:
On iOS I can't browse GAF, click a YouTube link with a cool song on it, let the song play and switch back to my GAF window and return to browsing and posting as the song plays.

Actually you technically can do this in iCab on the iPad. Not iPhone as any html 5 video only plays in the fullscreen video player.

When I added my Facebook account all my Facebook photos showed up on the Pictures app.

Is there a way to do the same with the Google Pictures/Picasa?

Dunlop

Just occurred to me, I ordered the charging docking station. Will this thing actually work on the Touchpad once there is an android OS ported on it?

i.e does the wireless charging functionality take place 100% at the hardware level?

Another reliable source confirms Ice Cream Sandwich is coming in late October?

Earlier this month Google’s ex-CEO Eric Schmidt told a crowd in San Francisco that the next version of Android, codenamed Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS), was coming out in October or November. That’s in line with most of the rumors floating around the web and this weekend another insider also suggested ICS would be out by October.

This time the information comes from Notion Ink CEO Rohan Shravan who announced in a company blog post that Google would launch the official ICS update in late October. He goes on to make a bold prediction and reports that Notion Ink’s Adam tablet will receive an update to ICS by November.

Rohan also says that Texas Instruments’ OMAP4 is the lead platform for ICS, which we pretty much confirmed back in August.

It is worth noting Rohan’s statements because he correctly predicted the launch date of Gingerbread (Android 2.3) late last year. Rohan said Gingerbread would be announced on December 6th 2010 and that’s exactly what happened.

The guys at PhoneArena reached out to Rohan for more information and he replied that Notion Ink is ”not on the list of official ICS” launch partners, but they had been working on the update with their ”community friends” for a long time and that’s why they expected to update their tablet so soon.

If we look back at last year, Google announced Gingerbread and the Nexus S on Dec. 6th and then the device went on sale just ten days later on Dec. 16th. The latest Nexus Prime rumors are suggesting a release around November 3rd, which is within ten days of a late October announcement.

Hopefully Google sticks with their release schedule and gets the Nexus Prime with Ice Cream Sandwich out on time. I’m ready to go wait in line at Best Buy and pick up my new phone.

When do you think Google will launch their next Nexus?
http://androidandme.com/2011/09/news/another-reliable-source-confirms-ice-cream-sandwich-is-coming-in-late-october/

Mook1e

Mook1e said:
I got my order for two 32GB touchpads out on the 21st, and I'm being told I have to wait 6-8 weeks before receiving my touchpads. Is anyone else in this situation?
So I guess no one else is in this situation? It feels like HP is stalling or something. I was first told my Touchpads would ship on 9 Sep.

taku

So I have been playing with my new Touchpad since I got home from work.. So far, this thing is great after all the updates/tweaks/overclocking! I am quite happy aside from a very mysterious and somewhat smallish round dot (lightleak?) in the lower right corner of the screen. I will try to grab a photo of it later on.. it is bugging me out, man!

Anyone else experience this?

(Wrote this on mah tee-pee! Feelsgoodman.jpg)

Mission

Dunlop said:
Just occurred to me, I ordered the charging docking station. Will this thing actually work on the Touchpad once there is an android OS ported on it?

i.e does the wireless charging functionality take place 100% at the hardware level?

This just earlier this afternoon (I must learn how to direct link to twitter...)
http://twitter.com/#!/dalingrin/status/115884262053519360
@dalingrin : should charge but wont have dock like features yet

Is there a way to get Chinese language support for the menus and stuff for the TouchPad? I want to switch it so that I can teach my parents how to use the Internet. :p

Bleepey said:
is there a way to get the volume to be at a level which is actually audible. This shit was too low.
There's a patch (or was it Linux application) in Preware that boosts the TouchPad's max audio level.

taku said:
So I have been playing with my new Touchpad since I got home from work.. So far, this thing is great after all the updates/tweaks/overclocking! I am quite happy aside from a very mysterious and somewhat smallish round dot (lightleak?) in the lower right corner of the screen. I will try to grab a photo of it later on.. it is bugging me out, man!

Anyone else experience this?

(Wrote this on mah tee-pee! Feelsgoodman.jpg)
You mean a dead pixel? Yeah, I have one. A red one. :( Sad part is, it wasn't there for the first few days I had the TouchPad, so it just creeped up on me.

taku

You mean a dead pixel? Yeah, I have one. A red one. :( Sad part is, it wasn't there for the first few days I had the TouchPad, so it just creeped up on me.
Nah man.. a light leakage! It's actually shaped like a circle :/

eastmen

Banned
Mook1e said:
So I guess no one else is in this situation? It feels like HP is stalling or something. I was first told my Touchpads would ship on 9 Sep.

same situation , ordered about 3am est on the 21st . I got the 6-8 week email. I'm not sure when the 6-8 weeks started however.

I'm happy that office max called my gf about getting 32 gigs back in stock. They shipped the one for her mother that i ordered and i had it by the end of the first week these things went on sale. But we need 1 more for my mother . So i'm hoping they ship one out a few days from now so my mom has it in time for our florida trip.

taku

eastmen said:
looks nice , seems faster than my sisters transformer
Roulette-toypic.jpg
?

Edit: Yeah, I think I will be donating to this team as well..

Chesskid1 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApfeSj4Ql6Q

new video on progress of android port! :)

includes demos of games that require 3d processing!

and hardware accelerated video playback!

SHIT JUST GOT REAL

Ahahahaha, the video they played back is the 720p version of the Black Rock Shooter game's OP. Someome at CyanogenMod has impeccable taste. However, it just so happens I have this video, and so I put it on my Touchpad and played it back using Kalemsoft, which is of course software-only playback. That video plays back perfectly in 720p at the Touchpad default 1.2ghz without any frame-skipping in Kalemsoft. So it's not a good demonstration of hardware-accelerated playback in Android, unfortunately. Oh well.

sfedai0

Banned
Lol much respect to the port team, but that guys voice has got to be fake. He sounds like the museum curator dude in Ghostbusters.

Top Bottom