• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

taku

sfedai0 said:
Lol much respect to the port team, but that guys voice has got to be fake. He sounds like the museum curator dude in Ghostbusters.
Haha I know! I giggle every time I watch this video . The way he opens with a high pitched "Schelloh!" gets me every time :')

Dali

So did I miss out on the $99 touchpads? Wasn't intersted ina webOS device, but if android is soon to be on it then i'd be down for99 bucks. How does it compare to other tablets as far as hardware and speed. As in if you already had that android build in your hands how would you expect it to stack up to other android tablets.

Guiberu

Dali said:
So did I miss out on the $99 touchpads? Wasn't intersted ina webOS device, but if android is soon to be on it then i'd be down for99 bucks. How does it compare to other tablets as far as hardware and speed. As in if you already had that android build in your hands how would you expect it to stack up to other android tablets.
I got my touchpad yesterday and its incredible. I've played with other tablets, but this little beauty is in a different realm.

Whilst I'm an android guy usually, I think I'll probably end up dual booting with WebOS. It's actually really nice to use, just lacking in apps.

I'm typing this from a 1.5ghz device with 1gb of ram and a fully capable gpu...android is just going to be the icing on the cake.

LCfiner

Dali said:
It's slower, choppier and less impressive than an iPad but it's decent enough if you're gonna use it mainly for the web. Though it requires some mods to the caching logic to be useful, there too.

Personally I would recommend a used iPad 1 over a touchpad And I'm not convinced android on this will be the savior some people think it will be (where are all the amazing android tablet apps?) but if you can get one quickly and easily for 100 bucks then go for it.

Just don't spend anymore. It's not with it.

Dali

LCfiner said:
It's slower, choppier and less impressive than an iPad but it's decent enough if you're gonna use it mainly for the web. Though it requires some mods to the caching logic to be useful, there too.

Personally I would recommend a used iPad 1 over a touchpad And I'm not convinced android on this will be the savior some people think it will be (where are all the amazing android tablet apps?) but if you can get one quickly and easily for 100 bucks then go for it.

Just don't spend anymore. It's not with it.
Thanks both of you.

Yeah I've been doing a search and it looks like the jig is up. No more $99 deals. I've never been particularly interested in tablets as it seems like there's little I could do with them that I can't do with my phone, but for 99 dollars I was willing to upgrade my couch experience to a bigger screen. Not really worth the upgrade for any more than that, imo. Certainly not for the prices I'm currently seeing.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Dali said:
Thanks both of you.

Yeah I've been doing a search and it looks like the jig is up. No more $99 deals. I've never been particularly interested in tablets as it seems like there's little I could do with them that I can't do with my phone, but for 99 dollars I was willing to upgrade my couch experience to a bigger screen. Not really worth the upgrade for any more than that, imo. Certainly not for the prices I'm currently seeing.
more 99 dollar tablets are coming. HP is making a second batch.

taku

MThanded said:
Oh yeah? I sure would like to buy one for mah dad..

I hear Carphone Warehouse are still selling them (you have to buy them in store though and no online or phone ordering), for you UK-GAFers out there..

LCfiner

Metalmurphy said:
How long is the battery supposed to last on these things?

Mine lasted around 6 hours, I thought it was supposed to last like 9 or more.

if you're overclocked, have the brightness at more than 50%, or have used flash occasionally, the battery life will drop. lots of things can add up to run down battery life.

Guiberu

Dali said:
Yes, yes. The answer to this is relevant to my interests as well
Stock is still floating around Carphone Warehouse shops, but not much.

As far as I was aware, the "second run" is for the US only. Hence me buying from ebay, paid £180 for a sealed 16gb, case, screen protector and touch pen (for sketching...hah)

Dali

Guiberu said:

As far as I was aware, the "second run" is for the US only. Hence me buying from ebay, paid £180 for a sealed 16gb, case, screen protector and touch pen (for sketching...hah)
Hey that works for me as I'm in the US.

I got my TouchPad yesterday, and I showed it to one of my bosses. Even though I told him how hard it was to actually get one, and that it's nearly impossible to find now, he went to HP's website, called them, and asked "Do you have any of those TouchPads in stock?"

If only it were that easy.

plc268

Guiberu said:

Is there a sketching/notetaking/handwriting app for the touchpad?

I've been contemplating getting a stylus, but I haven't seen any apps that would accompany it.

danootz

plc268 said:
Is there a sketching/notetaking/handwriting app for the touchpad?

I've been contemplating getting a stylus, but I haven't seen any apps that would accompany it.

I didn't do deep research but I found a drawing app ( Just Draw ), but it's really basic. Nothing compared to Sketchbook Mobile for android

krae_man

lunarworks said:
I got my TouchPad yesterday, and I showed it to one of my bosses. Even though I told him how hard it was to actually get one, and that it's nearly impossible to find now, he went to HP's website, called them, and asked "Do you have any of those TouchPads in stock?"

If only it were that easy.

A friend of mine did the exact same thing when she saw mine. She's been eyeing a tablet for a good year now but hasn't been willing to spend $500 on one.

Eric C

MThanded said:

neptunes said:
when? I thought they were discontinued?

Supposedly HP was already contracted to buy the parts to make more tablets, so it was cheaper for HP to make more tablets and honor the contract they already had then to try and get out of it and face lawsuits. HP is still losing money, just less. This way they can get $100 for those $300 parts they had to buy instead of losing the entire $300.

I think stores are already getting them in.

My Aug 20th CANCELED then back-ordered order from OfficeMax.com just shipped today! And other peoples back-ordered orders from last month from places like PCRichard are supposedly shipping now too.

I don't know how much stock will be available after all the stores fulfill backorders, but your chances of finding more $99 touchpads this week or next week are better than they were last week.

Couldn't take the wait anymore, so I finally bought a 16GB off of a fellow Gaffer even though I was hoping for a 32GB. My hunt shall continue.

I'm pretty excited!

How is this thing as an E-reader BTW?

freshair

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
Couldn't take the wait anymore, so I finally bought a 16GB off of a fellow Gaffer even though I was hoping for a 32GB. My hunt shall continue.

I'm pretty excited!

How is this thing as an E-reader BTW?

Decent! There's progress on a Kindle sideloading app (I couldn't get it to work myself) but he's working on a calibre app that will work in conjunction with his app to grab all the metadata/coverart and transfer it directly to the TP.

Krakatoa said:
I thought the 2nd run was just a rumour and that all the remaining stock is being sold to employess of HP?
From speaking to the HP rep that came by my work yesterday, they're coming in October. I'm guessing late October.

Is there any homebrew App like Mode Switcher?

The actual Mode Switcher isn't showing up on my preware, so I'm guessing that's just for Pre phones.

I wanted the Exhibition Mode to auto start or replace the lock screen.

Chesskid1

Banned
uq2R0.jpg

U2oAz.png

setup scummvm :) OH GOD GONNA WASTE SO MUCH TIME!

screens of n64 emu in a few min.

I'm really enjoying the feel of webOS. A lot of thought was put into it it seems. It will be with no small regret that I replace it with Android in the future...

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
rc213 said:
If HP ever ships out the TouchPad they promised in 6-8 weeks, I'm keeping that shit. :O

ANy news on the 6-8 weeks emails yet? I got the email like 2 or 3 weeks ago

rc213

DR3AM said:
ANy news on the 6-8 weeks emails yet? I got the email like 2 or 3 weeks ago

I'm assuming it's still valid as they keep updating my order and every week they do a charge on my bank account that disappears a day later.

Cruzader

Banned
So any automated email notifications that I should sign up for? I want to buy like 2-3 more for friends and family and dont want to miss out on last shipment!

taku

shorty_symd said:
my local Carphone Warehouse. They got some delivered this morning.
Buy me two! I'll gladly pay you more for your trouble! I really need one for my Dad's birthday and one for my brother.

I'm also on the lookout to buy some for family. My sister was like "My kids are begging me for an iPad, but it's 600JD!" (that's like $900). She asked me to buy her a couple of TPs if I can get any.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Chesskid1 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApfeSj4Ql6Q

new video on progress of android port! :)

includes demos of games that require 3d processing!

and hardware accelerated video playback!

Looks fantastic but I'm really hoping they develop a swipe method to close each Android program. That "home" button is going to be destroyed after a while :(

Plinko said:
Looks fantastic but I'm really hoping they develop a swipe method to close each Android program. That "home" button is going to be destroyed after a while :(

Indeed. It's so flimsy. I was a little down on the Touchpad as of late, but with the hardware acceleration and access to the Android marketplace (even if it's 2.3), it definitely becomes a great device with the dual-boot option.

Plinko said:

I totally agree. I almost never use the home button on my TP, and I even worry the power button is going to fall off due to having to press it firmly and hold to shut down and turn on the unit (which I do daily). I'd like a way to Shut down using the GUI only.

I doubt there will be a swipe method to close programs in Android though.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Naked Snake said:
I'd like a way to Shut down using the GUI only.

Settings > Device Info > Reset Options > Shutdown

Why are you shutting it down daily anyway? Leaving it in sleep mode barely drains any of the battery. It's been said in this thread before, these tablets are designed to be instant on devices. If you're waiting for it to boot up everyday you're doing it wrong.

Jesus Carbomb said:
Settings > Device Info > Reset Options > Shutdown

Why are you shutting it down daily anyway? Leaving it in sleep mode barely drains any of the battery. It's been said in this thread before, these tablets are designed to be instant on devices. If you're waiting for it to boot up everyday you're doing it wrong.

I'm just ultra conservative/careful with minimizing wear and tear on my electronic devices. Sometimes I don't use the tablet all day, so I figure Turn it off = less battery drain = less recharge cycles over the long term = longer-lived battery (which is specially relevant when the battery can never be replaced for the lifetime of the device).

I know the battery drains really slow in sleep mode, especially with WiFi off (which I always disable when in sleep mode), but if I know that I won't be using it for the next 10+ hours, then I'd rather turn if off. Similarly I almost never put my 3DS to sleep, unless I'm mid-game and can't save.

Recharchable batteries lose capacity every time they are recharged. I almost never turn my cell phone off and after 6 months or so the battery life is significantly shortened, but it's not an issue because I can pay $15 or so and pop in a brand new battery. Can't do that with the Touchpad; I don't want to have significantly shortened battery life after a year or two of heavy use.

Also I almost never charge a device while it's on (or keep it in a charging cradle while not in use).

The incovenience of "doing it wrong" is minimal for me, and it means a longer-lived device. "Doing it right" is supporting planned obsolescence.

Also, old habits and all that.

Thanks for the tip on turning if off without using the power button, although it's a bit long-winded. I was thinking something more in-line with shutting down from the Start Menu in Windows.

2th

Banned
finally got my first one from the HP smb store today. had it for maybe 15 minutes and I must admit it is heavier than I expected. The lack of auto correct spelling is weird. Same fir not having it insert a period when I double tap space bar. Guess I have a lot of familiarizing to do. Other than that I think it will be nice for browsing on the couch and bed.

freshair

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
Probably been asked to death, but is there any recommended/cheap cases? Preferably ones that are slick and slender and don't add much weight or get in the way...

your best bet is the official hp case

2th said:
finally got my first one from the HP smb store today. had it for maybe 15 minutes and I must admit it is heavier than I expected. The lack of auto correct spelling is weird. Same fir not having it insert a period when I double tap space bar. Guess I have a lot of familiarizing to do. Other than that I think it will be nice for browsing on the couch and bed.
have you done the webOS update. I have autocorrect spelling and it works just great. It is one of the few aspects of webOS that I feel is better than iOS. The numbers on the keyboard is another. But it is a shame about the web browser scrolling, no auto return to top gesture and missing magnify glass for precision text editing.

webOS automatically corrected about 6 typos as I wrote this with a satisfying beep each time!

Vyer

Got my Touchstone from HP today. Pretty cool. Do people use it in combination with Exhibition mode, or is that a bad idea?

Top Bottom