• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

2th

Banned
Nick Laslett said:
have you done the webOS update. I have autocorrect spelling and it works just great. It is one of the few aspects of webOS that I feel is better than iOS. The numbers on the keyboard is another. But it is a shame about the web browser scrolling, no auto return to top gesture and missing magnify glass for precision text editing.

webOS automatically corrected about 6 typos as I wrote this with a satisfying beep each time!

nope no updates yet. Will be doing that this evening. Ysy for this thread and all the info in it.

Draff

Vyer said:
Got my Touchstone from HP today. Pretty cool. Do people use it in combination with Exhibition mode, or is that a bad idea?

That's the point I think... though there needs to be a better pictures exhibition app.

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
I know its like $20, but are there any cheaper alternatives? I'm trying to find one on Amazon so I can use a "Free Super Saver" shipping with a router i'm trying to buy. lol

If you go through the thread, there were a few cheap cases and sleeves mentioned in the thread. I happened to get the Griffin Folio Case for Ipad 1. Verizon was selling it for $5.

It is probably better quality than the HP case; however, it obstructs the camera and swipe from the bezel are pretty difficult.

At the beginning, someone linked to a tablet/netbook sleeve from Verizon for $5.

And lastly, a few people bought some cases from Amazon and Ebay.

My mentality is the Touchpad was a device I bought cheap and as a supplemental tablet to my iPad 2, so I refuse to spend too much on a case or dock.

Finally got one. Debating whether or not to sell it for the same price I got it or to open this bad boy up and play around with it. I already have an iPad 1 but I really wouldn't mind something with a camera. I think I'd skip the iPad 3 and just hold on to this for a year if it's any good.

It needs comixology though.

I'd rather have an ipad 3 than this. There is 0 zero support except for homebrew going forward. And there will most likely be Android 2.3, but will CM port ICS to this device.

If they do port ICS, you could probably hold onto this until iPad 4, Xoom 3 or Transformer 4 or 5.

Spiderjericho said:
My mentality is the Touchpad was a device I bought cheap and as a supplemental tablet to my iPad 2, so I refuse to spend too much on a case or dock.

Thanks for the tips friendos.

I think i'll hold off a bit for now. I keep seeing those $5 case deals, but can't seem to find one.

Computer said:
Someone in the #cmtouchpad channel asked to retweet this to HP: https://twitter.com/#!/VillainROM/status/116603431199842304
If it's an unauthorized distribution, a screw-up, then I don't think they're required to distribute the source. The GPL doesn't apply to internal testing, AFIAK.

The touchstone arrived today and I have to say its a great little dock. The wireless charging and using it in exhibition mode makes for a great picture frame and alarm clock. A plus if you have the original hp case it charges with the case on as well.

Cruzader

Banned
DoctorWho said:
Finally got one. Debating whether or not to sell it for the same price I got it or to open this bad boy up and play around with it. I already have an iPad 1 but I really wouldn't mind something with a camera. I think I'd skip the iPad 3 and just hold on to this for a year if it's any good.

It needs comixology though.
Sell it to me!

I bought this device off of ebay and paid a hefty amount. I got it and gave it a solid week of attention. Web, music, vids, etc...

After that week, I really dislike WebOS. Android has really become my go to mobile OS. My mistake, I guess i came into WebOS expecting a lot of similarities w/ Android, at least on a base level. Things i liked about the device was...the device itself. The weight was great and it has a very solid feel. Im not a fan of thinner, lighter, etc... The OS was snappy and the screen was great to look at, but in the end, the OS was the killer for me. It just isnt for me.

Now im trying to sell it and get an android tablet.

Yeah_its_Bob said:
The touchstone arrived today and I have to say its a great little dock. The wireless charging and using it in exhibition mode makes for a great picture frame and alarm clock. A plus if you have the original hp case it charges with the case on as well.
the charging with the case on has been a bit iffy from my experience

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Iron_Scimitar said:
I bought this device off of ebay and paid a hefty amount. I got it and gave it a solid week of attention. Web, music, vids, etc...

After that week, I really dislike WebOS. Android has really become my go to mobile OS. My mistake, I guess i came into WebOS expecting a lot of similarities w/ Android, at least on a base level. Things i liked about the device was...the device itself. The weight was great and it has a very solid feel. Im not a fan of thinner, lighter, etc... The OS was snappy and the screen was great to look at, but in the end, the OS was the killer for me. It just isnt for me.

Just hold your horses.

kmfdmpig

Iron_Scimitar said:

A few people have already mentioned this, but to elaborate there will be a mod which will allow you to dualboot Android. It'll make this one of the better Android tablets, and certainly much better than anything you could get for less than $300. It seems like the mod is far from optimized/finished and it's already running Android pretty quickly. I might be wrong, but I get the sense that a modded Touchpad will be better than a Xoom/Galaxy Tab.

SRG01

polyh3dron said:
Is there any way to output the Touchpad's video to a HDTV?

The USB port is supposedly capable of it due to the Snapdragon chipset they're using, but no one has been able to do it thus far.

Spiderjericho said:
I'd rather have an ipad 3 than this. There is 0 zero support except for homebrew going forward. And there will most likely be Android 2.3, but will CM port ICS to this device.

If they do port ICS, you could probably hold onto this until iPad 4, Xoom 3 or Transformer 4 or 5.
I'm pretty sure CM has said the second ICS drops, they will drop all work on GB and move development to ICS.

antonz

PrivateWHudson said:
I'm pretty sure CM has said the second ICS drops, they will drop all work on GB and move development to ICS.
That is the plan. They get ICS on this thing and its gonna be one of the best tablets possible to own.

How easy is it to play videos off of a samba share? This howto seems promising, but I wanted to know if anybody here had firsthand experience doing something like this.

I share media from my desktop PC to my basement Wii and to a WD TV Live. It works really well, but I figured I'd like to try it out on a tablet (and it seems an iffy proposition on Android at the moment) that I can walk around with as I watch.

polyh3dron said:
Is there any way to output the Touchpad's video to a HDTV?
Haven't had any problem with it yet. Only thing is I dont know where to put the covers front to see the touchpad screen while in the dock.

antonz

Naked Snake said:
When is ICS supposed to drop? Hearing stuff like this makes me wish I bought more than one.
Rumor says it will drop in october. Since the word is its supposed to more open than Honeycomb should show up very fast on touchpad

I think there are just control interfaces for torrent clients running on other machines.

In related news..

Crisis Unfolds at H-P Over CEO

Hewlett-Packard Co.'s board met Wednesday to consider ousting Chief Executive Leo Apotheker, according to people briefed on the matter, after a turbulent 11-month tenure in which the market value of the technology giant was cut nearly in half.

An ouster would be the latest setback for a company that has been buffeted by a decade of board acrimony, abrupt CEO departures and strategic drift. The stakes are even higher this time. A departure would leave the company without a leader at a time when many of its key businesses are under assault.

Just last month, Mr. Apotheker, with the blessing of the board, announced a dramatic plan to revamp H-P by splitting off or selling its personal-computer business and spending $10.3 billion to acquire U.K. software company Autonomy Corp. Board members publicly supported Mr. Apotheker and his strategy even as many investors criticized the moves and H-P's stock price took a major hit. Indeed, shares soared as much as 11.7% Wednesday on news that Mr. Apotheker might be out.

Who might replace Mr. Apotheker isn't clear. Meg Whitman, the former eBay Inc. chief who joined H-P's board earlier this year, is a candidate to be named interim CEO, according to some of the people briefed, though she may not be interested in the position. Reached Wednesday, Ms. Whitman declined comment. Another person familiar with the matter said no decision on a successor has been reached.

Board members began talking in the last week about replacing Mr. Apotheker, with the situation coming to a head at the regularly scheduled board meeting Wednesday, these people said. H-P is likely facing another poor quarter and potential earnings miss, one of the people said.

In the last week, the relationship between Mr. Apotheker and H-P's independent chairman, Ray Lane, also has appeared strained, according to two people who know the men.

An H-P spokeswoman said the company doesn't comment on rumors and speculation.

EXPERIENCE WSJ PROFESSIONAL
Editors' Deep Dive: Companies Grapple With Succession Planning
HEDGEWORLD NEWS
Warren Buffett Picks Another Little-Known Successor
MONEYNEWS
Succession Questions Swirl Around Cisco's Chambers
EWEEK
Apple Will Continue Strong Despite Jobs Departure Analysts
Access thousands of business sources not available on the free web. Learn More
If he is forced out, Mr. Apotheker could walk away with $35 million in compensation and severance for his 11 months at H-P, according to calculations by The Wall Street Journal.

A departure of Mr. Apotheker, 58 years old, would be the latest comedown for a company that 13 months ago had been considered by Wall Street to be one of the better-run tech behemoths. Since the former software executive joined H-P in November as CEO, the company's share price has dropped more than 40%, compared with a 1.6% gain in the tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite Index over the same period. On Wednesday, shares of H-P gained 6.7% to $23.98 at 4 p.m. on the New York Stock Exchange.

An ouster would raise further questions about the governance of H-P. Its board came under some criticism for the way in which Mr. Apotheker's predecessor, Mark Hurd, was dismissed following an internal investigation into his relationship with a contractor. Mr. Apotheker overhauled the board after joining H-P, naming six new members this year.

H-P's board also drew criticism for its dismissal of former CEO Carly Fiorina in 2005 and an unrelated spying scandal in which private investigators it hired improperly accessed phone records and other information about some board members and reporters.

Among the gaffes Mr. Apotheker committed since becoming H-P CEO was a leaked memo in which he urged top executives to pinch pennies. He also oversaw three reductions of the company's financial outlook.

But the situation came to a boil last month when he sparked investor outrage by agreeing to pay a lofty premium for Autonomy. At the same time, Mr. Apotheker disclosed plans to potentially spin out the company's $40-billion-a-year PC business. He also canceled H-P's line of tablets and smartphones after about six weeks on the market.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903791504576584852598066360.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
If you have a cancelled onsale order head on over to here http://store.onsale.com/n/msc-189 . They are letting people wth cancelled orders get one.

If you arent using it you should give another gaffer your order number. It makes them put in new shipping and billing information so there are no worries of it charging using the original order information.

This also works with orders that went through amazon on onsale's behalf.

LM4sure

Banned
That's pretty cool what onsale is doing. I did get a 16gb from them, but they canceled my 32gb. I just completed the order for it. Hope it actually ships this time!!

1-D_FTW

What's the latest on Android coming to the touchpad? I stopped following when it appeared I got shut out, but looks like onsale is getting me one now. My enthusiasm has really dropped after reading impressions, so I'm hoping Android is actually making progress.

taku

Anyone else not seeing any paid apps in the HP catalog? I'm in Sweden so I would probably have trouble buying them anyway but I can't even see any paid apps at all. I see free apps just fine though..

tino

Banned
MThanded said:
If you have a cancelled onsale order head on over to here http://store.onsale.com/n/msc-189 . They are letting people wth cancelled orders get one.

If you arent using it you should give another gaffer your order number. It makes them put in new shipping and billing information so there are no worries of it charging using the original order information.

This link works for anybody? I tried many times with my Amazon order ID and I kept getting validation code error.

1-D_FTW

tino said:
This link works for anybody? I tried many times with my Amazon order ID and I kept getting validation code error.

Worked for me on first try this morning. Although I did notice people were having various browser issues and Slickdeals was indicating Chrome was the most trouble free. So I dusted off Chrome and only tried with that.

tino

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Worked for me on first try this morning. Although I did notice people were having various browser issues and Slickdeals was indicating Chrome was the most trouble free. So I dusted off Chrome and only tried with that.

Well stuck at work and I only have IE. I guess IE gyp me out of a TouchPad.

2th

Banned
MThanded said:

* The item is no longer available.

:(

LQX said:
I cant even find my order on Amazon. Its like they deleted mine once orders were canceled.
Check for your cancellation email (probably in your trash if you got pissed off and deleted it), that has your onsale order number. I'm stuck on the processing order page. I don't want to hit back and mess it up, but it's been about five minutes now.

UPDATE: My browser locked up on processing, so I went back to the email and followed the link again. This brought my right back to my order page and I just entered my credit card info again and it processed this time (still took about 3-5 minutes to process).

MechDX

Got my wife a 32gb model from Amazon when this whole fiasco started. Now she wants an Android tablet because she can not download books from the local library with WebOS.

Eric C

MechDX said:
Got my wife a 32gb model from Amazon when this whole fiasco started. Now she wants an Android tablet because she can not download books from the local library with WebOS.

Amazon announced just a few days ago support for library books, on both the kindle and kindle apps didn't they?

Since the hp kindle app is still in beta it probably doesn't work yet. Hopefully the touchpad app will get library lending soon.

Fatalah

MechDX said:

Tell her to hang in there, the CM team is on the cusp of releasing Android for it!

MrPliskin

Banned
MechDX said:

...so she wants to spend hundreds of dollars more just to download books from the library? Why not just save the money and, you know, check them out?

Top Bottom