• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Joe said:
tell me there's a torrent client I can get for this? Would an online client work?

If you install Ubuntu on it you can use a torrent client. I've used it myself to download into the WebOS media folder and then play using Kalem.

It's not even that difficult to get Ubuntu onto the Touchpad either especially if you go the image route instead of using WebOS to repartition the device.

This thing is damn fine for school stuff. Notes are easy, and I can reference PowerPoint presentations whenever I need them. And flash video is pretty stable, in case I don't like my class.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The Big Rig said:
This thing is damn fine for school stuff. Notes are easy, and I can reference PowerPoint presentations whenever I need them. And flash video is pretty stable, in case I don't like my class.

Ugh, I wish we had tablets when I was in college. I swear it'd have cured boredom ten-fold in lectures. I can't believe what just a few years difference would've made.

Fuck.

Ok so I initally had a 16 gig unit, now I have a 32 gig unit

Can I transfer my registration over to the 32 gig unit and put a fresh registration on the 16 gig one?

Eh, I don't use the thing enough to get 32 gigs on there

Guess my buddy can have that one

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Screencap preview of the next Comicshelf HD update that should be hitting by the end of next week

dMWX7.png

Cruzader

Banned
MiloFoxburr said:
If you install Ubuntu on it you can use a torrent client. I've used it myself to download into the WebOS media folder and then play using Kalem.

It's not even that difficult to get Ubuntu onto the Touchpad either especially if you go the image route instead of using WebOS to repartition the device.
Can you use a blutooth keyboard n mouse with Linux on HP touchpad or no?

Dunlop

damn that touchstone is some poor design when using with the official HP case. If the cover for the case was on the other side it would site perfectly, now it is very precariously on

Dunlop said:
damn that touchstone is some poor design when using with the official HP case. If the cover for the case was on the other side it would site perfectly, now it is very precariously on
Just lean it back farther, it'll stay on easier.

MrPliskin

Banned
Dunlop said:
Take it off. Touchstone will warp the case.

mf.luder

Man, the 50GB of lifetime storage alone almost justifies this purchase price of $99.

I'll keep the thing kicking around for Android but haven't been totally impressed. If HP put the care and attention to detail that Apple put into iOS/hardware, this would be stunning. I really do enjoy WebOS.

But I am continually drawn towards the tight experience of iOS.

MiloFoxburr said:

Is there a guide how to do this? I've seen the Preware route.

dream

mf.luder said:
Man, the 50GB of lifetime storage alone almost justifies this purchase price of $99.

Does it really, though? It's slow, doesn't mount as a volume (a la Dropbox) and I think newer signups have a 100 meg file limit.

tino

Banned
Holy shit. I got home at 9pm. I thought for sure I was not going to get the onsale "make up" TouchPad. I was able to order a 32GB. I felt so sorry for ever doubting onsale. They came through for me big time.

While I am on the subject. Fuck you Barnes and Noble!

Also thanks MThanded for posting the link.

mf.luder

dream said:
Does it really, though? It's slow, doesn't mount as a volume (a la Dropbox) and I think newer signups have a 100 meg file limit.

I was looking at it from the point that I have a 50GB locker that I can access from anywhere. I have dropbox to sync but not that much space in it, I think maybe 2GB?

So the Kindle sideloading app, Kindle Import, works pretty great. I'm liking the Kindle e-reading interface much better than Preader alpha. Hopefully Preader gets off the ground, since the dev seems like a nice guy, but I'm more than happy with Kindle Import's results sideloading into the Kindle app.

Dunlop

back on the touchstone, does anyone else's slideshow/clock come back on after a certain period of time?

I turn it off when I dock the thing but when I go back a couple hours later it is back on

Eric C

I'm not sure if HP named it the dock but it reminds me of the Mac OSX dock, so that's what I'm calling it.

I might be overlooking something simple, but can I customize the "dock" at the bottom of the screen? I want to put some of the apps I use most down there, and remove some of the ones I don't use often.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
More free Apps

Totemo
Challenge. Unloose the spirit. Break the spell. Uncover the mystery hidden between the realms in a unique puzzle game.
Promo code: jmxwx78646mklrl

WritePad
Compose. A robust notepad application for your documents, notes, and status updates. Plus, you can send your text directly to your social media.
Promo code: zwqte58550kstlh

Thermal Pad HD
Create. Design your own fun, impressive wallpapers!
Promo code: mfkan50630bukkk

Weather Dashboard for Touchpad
Prepare. A widget that always shows you the current temperature as well as the forecast for the next day.
Promo code: covrr25979trawe

Argyle

Ericsc said:
I'm not sure if HP named it the dock but it reminds me of the Mac OSX dock, so that's what I'm calling it.

I might be overlooking something simple, but can I customize the "dock" at the bottom of the screen? I want to put some of the apps I use most down there, and remove some of the ones I don't use often.
Open up the app drawer, long press one of the icons and then drag icons in and out of the tray at the bottom.

Jesus Carbomb said:
More free Apps

Totemo
Challenge. Unloose the spirit. Break the spell. Uncover the mystery hidden between the realms in a unique puzzle game.
Promo code: jmxwx78646mklrl

WritePad
Compose. A robust notepad application for your documents, notes, and status updates. Plus, you can send your text directly to your social media.
Promo code: zwqte58550kstlh

Thermal Pad HD
Create. Design your own fun, impressive wallpapers!
Promo code: mfkan50630bukkk

Weather Dashboard for Touchpad
Prepare. A widget that always shows you the current temperature as well as the forecast for the next day.
Promo code: covrr25979trawe
Thanks. This is the first time I got to the codes before they were expired.

btw, it totemo hd is the one for the promo code.

krae_man

This thing worked wonderfully on my mini trip. Netbook is officially getting the boot, Touchpad is my travel internet device now.

SKINNER!

Banned
My goodness, I am thoroughly impressed with this device. I woke up this morning and decided to watch the Rugby World Cup on it while in bed. No problems what so ever, tap on the browser, load wedpage, flash video stream comes up. sorted!

Also, I got a hold of that Kalemsoft media player and that's really great. It's totally worth the money to avoid the hassle of figuring out how what videos will and won't work with the default player.

tino

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
I've heard people say Kalemsoft lets you play 720p MKVs with no issues, but for some reason it's not working in mine. Stutters like mad.

Try over clock and then Vital Player.

My Onsale order shipped...holy shit. I didn't really think it would, so I haven't thought of what to do with it. I may really just use it as a digital picture frame. I'm also thinking that it may make sense to wait on the android Rom and sell it on ebay pre loaded with CM.

jgkspsx

OnSale order shipped. My (family's) third and final Touchpad. Unless HP brings them back LOL qq

equap said:
uh...my touchpad wont turn on. I thought it was out of battery but it's been charging all night.

what's going on?
Hold down power and the face button at the same time. It's in something like a safe mode.

Anony

i spent like 2/3 hours with the touchpad, did all the configurations etc
i think i've done everything there is to be done on the touchpad, lol (except install ubuntu, which i might do)

cant wait to get android on there

Tapiozona

Banned
jgkspsx said:
OnSale order shipped. My (family's) third and final Touchpad. Unless HP brings them back LOL qq

Hold down power and the face button at the same time. It's in something like a safe mode.

Is Onsale starting to ship their second batch already? I got the email telling me I can reorder it since my last one was cancelled but i havent gotten any message about it shipping yet. I think it said 2-3 weeks when I placed the order.

As for my other Touchpad which I got at the Best Buy firesale...its still lost at the repair center somewhere in texas. Idiot customer support people cancelled my order after I shipped it to them for repairs and gave me a new number. Since the touchpad was tied to the original it's lost somewhere in the warehouse. Everytime I call I have to deal with another rep who barely speaks english and is 100% unable to help me at all other than to say "Call back in 24/48 hours". Even though it's 100 bucks, the fact that it worked for 20 minutes before bricking and now the hassles of dealing with their idiotic customer support makes it almost not worth while of a purchase.

1-D_FTW

Even though they said 2 weeks, they've been shipping. People were getting shipping notices Thursday night. And more people (me included:) got their shipping notification last night. I even went with Ground UPS, even though it screwed me over last time.

Eric C

How can you transfer files to the touchpad through WiFi?

I've looked and it seems like I found a way. In the app catalog "UPNP AV PLAYER" has an "IMPORT" feature that lets you transfer the files to the downloads folder on your touchpad. I'm only using the free version right now so it has an annoying pop up screen that pops up every 3 minutes.

Is this currently the only way to transfer files wirelessly? Or is there another way?

Chesskid1

Banned
box.net gives you 50GB, download the app then download your file on your touchpad. upload files to it via your PC.

i dunno if you wanna go the extra step, haven't been able to directly transfer via wifi either.

Top Bottom