• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Ericsc said:
How can you transfer files to the touchpad through WiFi?

Is this currently the only way to transfer files wirelessly? Or is there another way?

There's wifi media sync. They just came out with an update. I tried getting it to work, but I gave up (probably my firewall). Can't remember how much it costs.

Metalmurphy said:
I've heard people say Kalemsoft lets you play 720p MKVs with no issues, but for some reason it's not working in mine. Stutters like mad.
yeah and the file system doesn't support any files over 6 gigs or something too.. :(

tried putting a 720p UFC event on my touchpad in MKV form and halfway through it crashed the app.

SRG01

Being able to view embedded flash is pretty awesome.

That being said, holy shit there are some moments where it really struggles.

taku

polyh3dron said:
yeah and the file system doesn't support any files over 6 gigs or something too.. :(

tried putting a 720p UFC event on my touchpad in MKV form and halfway through it crashed the app.
4gb mkv 720p files work like a charm on mine with no stuttering. It is overclocked a bit though (1.5ghz)..

I was testing the Touchpad's PDF reader with the last issue of Edge, and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with the performance. It chugs a little bit in rendering the pages.

I also was trying to view the T12 Fighting Game Tournament stream provided by Team Spooky, and it was chugging a little bit too.

I don't think this is indicative of the hardware but more of poorly optimized (and seldom updated) software.

Android can't come soon enough.

So far, so great. I'm very impressed with this hardware.

Got a few questions:

1. Does overclocking it to 1.5ghz have much of an effect on the battery? Is it really worth overclocking it?

2. What's the deal with having to refresh pages all the time? Sometimes I can't see my edited or new posts? =/

3. Is there a .gif viewer app? lol

Spiderjericho said:
I was testing the Touchpad's PDF reader with the last issue of Edge, and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with the performance. It chugs a little bit in rendering the pages.

I also was trying to view the T12 Fighting Game Tournament stream provided by Team Spooky, and it was chugging a little bit too.

I don't think this is indicative of the hardware but more of poorly optimized (and seldom updated) software.

Android can't come soon enough.

Did you do all the preware stuff to help improve performance? That was the first thing I did when I got mine and the PDFs are seem to run pretty well. I was skimming through the complete edition of The Watchmen (411 pages) with minimal lag.

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
So far, so great. I'm very impressed with this hardware.

Got a few questions:

1. Does overclocking it to 1.5ghz have much of an effect on the battery? Is it really worth overclocking it?

2. What's the deal with having to refresh pages all the time? Sometimes I can't see my edited or new posts? =/

3. Is there a .gif viewer app? lol

Did you do all the preware stuff to help improve performance? That was the first thing I did when I got mine and the PDFs are seem to run pretty well. I was skimming through the complete edition of The Watchmen (411 pages) with minimal lag.

I currently have my Touchpad running at 1.5Ghz with Govnah. They say the battery life is 8 hours at the normal CPU frequency. And I haven't really noticed any difference in battery life.

There's a Web Browser Cache patch if you search through the thread. It'll help with the web browser performance.

Dunno on the last question. Maybe try the GAF app if you're viewing this forum.

And I've done all of the preware patches, etc. I can view most normal .pdfs fine. The edge was chugging along while on my iPad it would pause for maybe a second and render the page. But I think it's more an issue with the Adobe Acrobat app on the Touchpad. It's so barebones and a PITA.

In a perfect world, we would get:

Netflix app
Nook app (so we can view epub files)
a competent .pdf app (which will render pages quickly and remember the last page you're on)
a competent web browser

and a reliable alarm clock (I only say this because I tried to use the default alarm clock, and it just stopped working after awhile).

So I'm starting to take the thread title to heart, and want to set up a Touchpad as a Digital Picture Frame. What's the best workflow to get pictures displaying in exhibition mode without getting facebook junk and my wallpapers and whatnot? Preferably I'd like to just email them, or put it on the cloud somewhere and have them just added to the rotation without having to touch the Touchpad.

Anony

it got me thinking, if for some magical reason, we could install win8 on the touchpad, that would be a dream come true for me
realistically speaking, it will never happen, and i got sad

railGUN

Banned
Does anyone else have trouble with the wifi on their touchpad? I always seem to hang when trying to load a website, and it usually takes a few tries to get it to go through. I find that turning the wifi off and back on fixes the problem, at least temporarily. The issue could be with my router, its pretty old, but all my other wireless devices don't suffer the same problem.

SRG01

railGUN said:
Does anyone else have trouble with the wifi on their touchpad? I always seem to hang when trying to load a website, and it usually takes a few tries to get it to go through. I find that turning the wifi off and back on fixes the problem, at least temporarily. The issue could be with my router, its pretty old, but all my other wireless devices don't suffer the same problem.

No issues on mine. I'm using a wireless N router.

IceCold

taku said:
4gb mkv 720p files work like a charm on mine with no stuttering. It is overclocked a bit though (1.5ghz)..

How did you make it work? I put two videos in my touchpad. Around 3-4 gb in size, .avi, and they don't appear in my touchpad. :(

IceCold said:
How did you make it work? I put two videos in my touchpad. Around 3-4 gb in size, .avi, and they don't appear in my touchpad. :(
You'll need KalemSoft Media Player for that. Touch Player (preware) won't play 720p, the stock player doesn't play anytjing but *.mp4 files.

Thanks for the troubleshooting @ above.

I think I'm going to hold of on overclocking it for a while.

BTW Internalz Pro, the app that is used to optimize the browser cache, is actually a good .gif reader

saunderez

Metalmurphy said:
Anyone knows what the demo restrictions are?
When I tried it the demo was several versions behind the paid version and wasn't very good. Compatibility has increased greatly in the last few releases.

IceCold

FantasticMrFoxdie said:

BTW Internalz Pro, the app that is used to optimize the browser cache, is actually a good .gif reader

Setting your cpu to 1.5 ghz is not even overclocking it since that's the native clock speed of the cpu. Hp under-clocked them to 1.2 for the 16gb and 32 gb version but kept it at 1.5 for the 64gb one.

ugh...my browser cache is still not refreshing properly. I set the new values, but am I supposed to leave the app in Master Mode? When I reboot?

Edit: Yeah, this browser is terrible. Editing posts is just annoying. After rebooting twice I'm still having probe.

Edit2: Got it working. Forgot to change the most important part. >_<

Yeah, I've got the patch which adds tabs to the Launcher. It's kind of nice to separate Games and Homebrew out, otherwise the Downloads tab gets clogged with everything you've ever installed and since WebOS doesn't automatically sort your apps by name like every other mobile OS on Earth, it gets impossible to find anything.

Blackhead

Redarse
Unknown Soldier said:
Yeah, I've got the patch which adds tabs to the Launcher. It's kind of nice to separate Games and Homebrew out, otherwise the Downloads tab gets clogged with everything you've ever installed and since WebOS doesn't automatically sort your apps by name like every other mobile OS on Earth, it gets impossible to find anything.
iOS doesn't sort the apps by name either. I would kill for tabs :'/

Cruzader

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
It costs $7?? oO

I got it for free from the official website.

http://www.kalemsoft.com/site/downloads2.html

*edit* Oh wait... that's a demo... maybe that's why I can't get 720p to play properly. Anyone knows what the demo restrictions are?
I got it free too from the site, demo version but it plays my 720p videos fine! Maybe cause I'm not too far away from router.

I think the only restriction I read is that you need to have a wifi connection running to run the app. If your TP is offline and you want to see videos from the storage on te TP, it won't play them for instance.

I for one will take the free demo and stream my content. No reason to pay for an app that I won't use after insalling Android and running my videos through the countless free apps on the market place.

Cruzader said:
I got it free too from the site, demo version but it plays my 720p videos fine! Maybe cause I'm not too far away from router.

I think the only restriction I read is that you need to have a wifi connection running to run the app. If your TP is offline and you want to see videos from the storage on te TP, it won't play them for instance.

I for one will take the free demo and stream my content. No reason to pay for an app that I won't use after insalling Android and running my videos through the countless free apps on the market place.

Actually I copied the file to the Touchpad, haven't tried streaming it yet.

LQX said:
Can someone help me out with this. I did everthing but step for has me stumped.

4. Open /etc/palm/browser-app.conf Where is this?

Also every time I start Internalz Pro I get a error message saying service does not exist: ca.canucksoftware.filemgr.
for me it was:

etc
palm (scroll down, its alphabetical)
browser-app > open
change the values- hit the top corner, then save file (make sure you change all 4 values, I forgot to change the true false one)

then you have to shut it down and turn it on. I'm sure you know this, but if not its best to use SecondApps.com/neogaf

Cruzader

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Actually I copied the file to the Touchpad, haven't tried streaming it yet.
Make sure you have wifi running and set the straming to high on TP settings on the app.
Not sure what's wrong on your end.

LQX

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
for me it was:

etc
palm (scroll down, its alphabetical)
browser-app > open
change the values- hit the top corner, then save file (make sure you change all 4 values, I forgot to change the true false one)

then you have to shut it down and turn it on. I'm sure you know this, but if not its best to use SecondApps.com/neogaf
Thanks a lot FantasticMrFoxdie. Was a lot easier with your instructions.

Glad to help. :)

Having had WebOS for a day, I have to say, I like it a lot more than iOS. Its just a damn shame there isn't as many apps. Also, there are some minor gripes I have over small things like organizing bookmarks, portrait mode for movies, minimizing cards so I can see my background, or being able to pinpoint the typing cursor (If anyone knows a fix for these things, please share)...I don't see how these things made it past QA. Lol

VanWinkle

I hate the lack of smoothness in almost everything in the OS and apps/internet browser. It would be nice if it was all as smooth as scrolling through your list of apps is. And this is even with all of the patches and overclocking.

Takuya

Banned
This thing needs Android a.s.a.p. It's great for what it can do right (not very much) but this hardware running Android with loads of apps will really take the cake.

Xyphie

railGUN said:

This happens for me occasionally as well. D-Link DIR-655 router.

Dunlop

Cruzader said:

wait you can stream videos? I tried various uPnP apps but they were all only good for pics or music

anyone have an issue where you charge the touchpad up; its at full charge then you don't do anything but the battery drains? It happened to me yesterday where I did that and didn't touch it and it went from 100 to 20%.(over a 7 hour period)I think somehow the screen turned on and never turned back off. The touchpad was warm to the touch also. It happened again this morning. 100 to 60% when I caught it still on. Why isn't it sleeping correctly?

Jaeyden

FantasticMrFoxdie said:

Yeah, do yourself the favor and OC it to at least 1.5. It makes a huge difference. Plenty of people here are running 1.7 with no side effects AFIK.

Top Bottom