• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

OCd it to 1.5. Definitely makes things a lot better.

Is there like a weekly thing where apps will be free?

Unconditional said:
anyone have an issue where you charge the touchpad up; its at full charge then you don't do anything but the battery drains? It happened to me yesterday where I did that and didn't touch it and it went from 100 to 20%.(over a 7 hour period)I think somehow the screen turned on and never turned back off. The touchpad was warm to the touch also. It happened again this morning. 100 to 60% when I caught it still on. Why isn't it sleeping correctly?

I'm having a somewhat similar problem. My fully charged battery ends at 90%...wtf?

1-D_FTW

Unconditional said:
anyone have an issue where you charge the touchpad up; its at full charge then you don't do anything but the battery drains? It happened to me yesterday where I did that and didn't touch it and it went from 100 to 20%.(over a 7 hour period)I think somehow the screen turned on and never turned back off. The touchpad was warm to the touch also. It happened again this morning. 100 to 60% when I caught it still on. Why isn't it sleeping correctly?

Interesting. Since I'm finally going to be getting a Touchpad this week, I've been following the progress on the Android port. This is one of the issues they're having problems with. Sleep and the touchpad screen not shutting down. Wonder if it's somehow related. Hope it's not a common problem.

venne said:
Splashtop released.

http://www.splashtop.com/

$5 and totally worth it, IMO.

If it could run Media Center in full screen mode, I'd be in heaven.

Yeah, it really is worth it. It's only $5 for a limited time, though. so if anyone's thinking about grabbing it you might want to go ahead. I'd never used a remote desktop before and was amazed at how smooth and simple the setup was. I only wish there was support for portrait mode, and that scrolling was handled a bit better.

Biscuits

Hmm, would you guys say a regular 2.1 ghz core 2 duo laptop processor from 2 years ago is enough to run Splashtop smoothly? A lot of the later reviews seem to say that it's a huge resource hog.

dabig2

venne said:
Splashtop released.

http://www.splashtop.com/

$5 and totally worth it, IMO.

If it could run Media Center in full screen mode, I'd be in heaven.

I'm a sucker for remote viewing applications. Told myself I wasn't spending money on WebOS stuff while I'm waiting for Android, but this might be a worthy, small investment as it's limited time special price...

bwahhhhh

dabig2 said:
I'm a sucker for remote viewing applications. Told myself I wasn't spending money on WebOS stuff while I'm waiting for Android, but this might be a worthy, small investment as it's limited time special price...

I said the same, but splurged for the $5. Haven't tried it with windows yet, but it controls macos 10.6 fine. I can watch videos fullscreen (SD divx files from LAN) which, along with occasional doc editing and ability to remote upload files from mac/pc to box.net and then dl to touchpad, is all I wanted.

A bit of choppiness in the fullscreen videos. non-action scenes are fine, action scenes 80-90% smoothness. pulled those numbers out of my ass and based them off 10 minutes of video, but that's what it looks like to me. it's a lot smoother and plenty watchable than I expected for a remote desktop.

edit: I forgot to add, I do have the TP overclocked to 1.7 ghz

Birbo

Ok, I bit on Splashtop for $5. Just played a bit of Plants vs Zombies via Steam on my PC. Not totally smooth, but playable.

dream

Is there any way to have the server not change the desktop resolution to match the client's native resolution?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
dream said:
Is there any way to have the server not change the desktop resolution to match the client's native resolution?
Yes its in the options but it gets weird. Colors are off and such. Doesnt look that good.

thirty

Banned
FantasticMrFoxdie said:
OCd it to 1.5. Definitely makes things a lot better.

Is there like a weekly thing where apps will be free?

I'm having a somewhat similar problem. My fully charged battery ends at 90%...wtf?
Turn off WiFi while in sleep mode.

The demo version of Kalemsoft on their website expires in a week but that's more than enough time for me to see that subtitles support isn't in yet and delete it and wait for the next version.

If the author can't get subtitles into Kalemsoft before the Android port is finished, I won't buy his player, I'll just install Android and use one of the many free players for Android instead.

EGM92

Hey guys I'm trying to install one of the OC kernels, I'm having some trouble.

Preware tells me that the feed is obsolete. I went to the site it links to and read over it, I have Xecutah installed on the TP. I'm not sure what to do exactly, I open the Xserv, and then the Xterm, I type in the commands

"mkdir -p /var/preferences/org.webosinternals.preware
touch /var/preferences/org.webosinternals.preware/enable-alpha-feeds "

yet nothing happens. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Nice, but ugh - why do I have to buy the same software for different platforms? I will most likely also want this for Android (which will most likely become my platform of choice once it's fully ported), but then I will need to buy it again..
Probably not gonna buy, even though it discounted :/

Phantast2k said:
Nice, but ugh - why do I have to buy the same software for different platforms? I will most likely also want this for Android (which will most likely become my platform of choice once it's fully ported), but then I will need to buy it again..
Probably not gonna buy, even though it discounted :/
That's why I'm holding off on buying any webOS apps. If I'm gonna eventually put Android on it, I don't wanna waste my money. (Sorry webOS devs.)

Blackhead

Redarse
lunarworks said:
That's why I'm holding off on buying any webOS apps. If I'm gonna eventually put Android on it, I don't wanna waste my money. (Sorry webOS devs.)
Well until the Android port is done it's not "money wasted". You might as well enjoy the device you have now. And what if the webOS apps turn out to be better than their Android counterparts? Moreover there's still going to be the option of dualbooting both Android and WebOS so not like you'll lose out on your investment once a new OS is installed.

Petrie

Banned
Greyface said:
Well until the Android port is done it's not "money wasted". You might as well enjoy the device you have now. And what if the webOS apps turn out to be better than their Android counterparts? Moreover there's still going to be the option of dualbooting both Android and WebOS so not like you'll lose out on your investment once a new OS is installed.

I'd think most people buy software hoping to use it for a long time, not a few months. That, and with something like a Tablet, I don't see many users actually using dual-boot regularly, even if they have it available.

Brinbe

Wow, that's awesome. Worth it just to be able to capably play some FM 11 (and 12 when that comes out) on the go.

Here's a vid of someone doing just that on the iPad, but should work just as well.

Blackhead

Redarse
Petrie said:
I'd think most people buy software hoping to use it for a long time, not a few months. That, and with something like a Tablet, I don't see many users actually using dual-boot regularly, even if they have it available.
Most people buy mobile applications, use it once, amd never bother with it again. It's not like the mobile apps cost hundreds of dollars—it's only $5 for this particular app. *shrug*

Edit: all you people waiting for the Android port, will you be buying the phone apps designed for Gingerbread?

Fatalah

DoctorWho said:
Yeah, I'm not buying anything for WebOS. Just waiting for the Android port.

That's the plan! I don't want to get comfortable with WebOS, when another OS is right around the corner. (I hope!)

2th

Banned
So i have noticed the screen on this thing is a fucking smudge magnet. Anyone have any suggestions on screen protectors?

Greyface said:
Most people buy mobile applications, use it once, amd never bother with it again. It's not like the mobile apps cost hundreds of dollars—it's only $5 for this particular app. *shrug*

Edit: all you people waiting for the Android port, will you be buying the phone apps designed for Gingerbread?
Waiting for ICS before I put Android on it. Gingerbread is pointless.

Also, I'm a cheap bastard. I hate paying money for apps I'm going to have limited use for.

Top Bottom