• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Fatalah

lunarworks said:
Waiting for ICS before I put Android on it. Gingerbread is pointless.

Also, I'm a cheap bastard. I hate paying money for apps I'm going to have limited use for.

It's not pointless, I'm not a fan of the current web browsing experience at all. I can't wait to have all of my favorite Android apps installed either. Yes, ICS will be amazing, but I welcome Gingerbread with open arms!

Fatalah said:
It's not pointless, I'm not a fan of the current web browsing experience at all. I can't wait to have all of my favorite Android apps installed either. Yes, ICS will be amazing, but I welcome Gingerbread with open arms!
Gingerbread to ICS is one further transition I'd rather not go through. I'd rather just convert to the latest Android in one fell swoop.

Doopliss

Fatalah said:
It's possible there might not even be a Gingerbread release, but if there is I'm jumping on it the first moment available. Having a browser and video player that don't perform like shit far outweighs the small downside of a sub-optimal interface for a large screen. But probably the biggest thing is I'll be able to stream video from my network storage so I can stop with the hassle of juggling files in 16gb of space.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Doopliss said:
It's possible there might not even be a Gingerbread release, but if there is I'm jumping on it the first moment available. Having a browser and video player that don't perform like shit far outweighs the small downside of a sub-optimal interface for a large screen. But probably the biggest thing is I'll be able to stream video from my network storage so I can stop with the hassle of juggling files in 16gb of space.

You can stream right now using OrbCaster as long as you install the streamer on your PC and it has access to your network storage device.

Doopliss

TheOMan said:
You can stream right now using OrbCaster as long as you install the streamer on your PC and it has access to your network storage device.
Just tried it out, nice idea but the youtube c.2005 video quality doesn't really do it for me. Out of curiosity - it can wake your PC from sleep, but is it possible to put it back to sleep? I couldn't see a control for that.

Jaeyden

My touchpad now has 2 cracks in its shell. One right where a speaker is and the other from the USB hole. Both cracks start right at the end of the rounded hole in the plastic. I have a case and I treat this thing with utter respect....like all my gear. I noticed the speaker crack about a week ago and rationalized that I must have accidentally done something inadvertently didn't notice and blamed myself. Now with this new crack and the fact that I've gone out of my way to baby this thing since then, I think the manufacturing flaws are showing. I can shrug it away because I only spent 100 bucks but it still blows. Sure is a shame, I like this thing and I certainly hope it doesn't start happening to others.

Edit : Lol...figures

http://www.forbes.com/sites/brianca...ain-hps-undead-99-touchpad-developing-cracks/

Chesskid1

Banned
Jaeyden said:
My touchpad now has 2 cracks in its shell. One right where a speaker is and the other from the USB hole. Both cracks start right at the end of the rounded hole in the plastic. I have a case and I treat this thing with utter respect....like all my gear. I noticed the speaker crack about a week ago and rationalized that I must have accidentally done something inadvertently didn't notice and blamed myself. Now with this new crack and the fact that I've gone out of my way to baby this thing since then, I think the manufacturing flaws are showing. I can shrug it away because I only spent 100 bucks but it still blows. Sure is a shame, I like this thing and I certainly hope it doesn't start happening to others.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad/288235-touchpad-case-cracked-speaker.html

it's a common issue. 500+ reply thread on precentral.

iirc if you call HP they will help you out. some kind of extended warranty or something. luckily mine is still perfect so i don't know all the details.

Godslay

Banned
Splashtop seems to work really well. Bought it and tried out Diablo 2 remotely. If you add -w for windowed mode it will run just fine. Netflix works very well even in full screen. A great app for $5, and easy to set up.

Jaeyden

Chesskid1 said:
http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad/288235-touchpad-case-cracked-speaker.html

iirc if you call HP they will help you out. some kind of extended warranty or something. luckily mine is still perfect so i don't know all the details.

Just stumbled across it. Sucks. The more I examine, the worse it is. Looks like my screen is separating on the speaker side also. I do hope they can do something for me. I bought this when I lived in the states, now I'm abroad and for the time being its my portal. Fingers crossed.

Damn. I just had my first freeze.

I got the "Too many Cards" thing, then it froze while that message was popped up. (I had two cards open, both GAF). *Seinfeld voice* Whats up with that?!

jgkspsx

So, my wife's Touchpad arrived yesterday. The button is permanently half-recessed, though. Bah. I think we're not going to risk a service return... I don't want to get some more seriously problematic refurb back.

I bought about $40 in apps for my Pre 2 and Touchpad including Splashtop for both in the last two days. Making up for all the free apps I've gotten. The scene has radically improved, it's a shame it happened too late :(

dream

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
Damn. I just had my first freeze.

I got the "Too many Cards" thing, then it froze while that message was popped up. (I had two cards open, both GAF). *Seinfeld voice* Whats up with that?!

TERRIBLE MEMORY MANAGEMENT

jgkspsx

Wow, Splashtop is wonderful. Essential, even. I just deployed a small update to a production web application lying in bed. Scrolling I don't have the hang of yet, but I'm getting there. Posting through Splashtop right now, ha.

Sound works fine for me. Are you sure that neither your computer nor the touchpad is muted?

Rorschach

jgkspsx said:
Wow, Splashtop is wonderful. Essential, even. I just deployed a small update to a production web application lying in bed. Scrolling I don't have the hang of yet, but I'm getting there. Posting through Splashtop right now, ha.

Sound works fine for me. Are you sure that neither your computer nor the touchpad is muted?
Yeah, I'm sure. I even tried the option to mute the pc and output all sound through the TP. I'll mess around with it more tomorrow when I get a chance.

thirty

Banned
Anyone else touchstone just stop fucking working? Wtf is this shit? I've used it less than 10 times and all of a sudden the shit won't charge. I'm pissed. $75 msrp for a piece of shit that stops working after 8 uses? They better replace it.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
any updated instructions on how to overclock?

all of the instructions ive come across tell me to add the webos-testing-all feed which is apparently obsolete

1-D_FTW

Chesskid1 said:

Ugh. Reading that and reading the links to the other threads is disheartening. Finally got my orders through. Got one arriving today and tomorrow from onsale.

As long as it's not a crack that affects the glass, I suppose I can just throw down some superglue at the first sign of a crack. But these things seem to have defects everywhere. Wonder what my odds of a competently made unit are? Probably pretty low.

iirate

-COOLIO- said:
prettttyy cool:

crysis via splashtop

So, are there wireless mice that work with the touchpad or something? I have one of their blutooth keyboards, and if I could get a mouse too, I could see this being pretty nice for some portable gaming.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
hayejin said:
A Step-By-Step Instructions with SCREENSHOTS to guide you through how to boost up / over-clock your TouchPad!!
http://www.touchpadplus.com/
Just wanna say thanks again, best guide so far for all the speed tweeks!

edit:

tablet with 1.5ghz dual core
preware with a ton of awesome free apps
speed tweeks
its so zippy!
32gbs flash mem!
all for $150!!
YAAAY

Okay, I got slashtop, and so far it's okay. Like others mentioned, there is a bit of lag. I wish it were a bit smoother.

I was able to play a game of Solitaire on it.

I did have the same issue of the computer's resolution changing to the Touchpad's when I connect to it. I didn't like that and couldn't find the option to change it.

Also, I had issues with the scrolling like in the browser. It's pretty wonky.

Can you drag and drop files from the PC to touchpad?

Is this only limited to a LAN connection?

CCF23

Just got my touchpad. I remember seeing a link to a thread on another forum with a big long list of patches and the explanation on how to overclock it. Anyone know where I can find that?

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Doopliss said:
Just tried it out, nice idea but the youtube c.2005 video quality doesn't really do it for me. Out of curiosity - it can wake your PC from sleep, but is it possible to put it back to sleep? I couldn't see a control for that.

Don't know about putting it back to sleep unfortunately. I agree the video quality isn't the greatest, so Kalemsoft is probably your best bet for now. I'm seriously considering writing my own, perhaps starting with VLC as my codebase?

CCF23

Okay, so since I can't see to find the forum post that I had seen before, where should I start in terms of what to do with this thing?

Doopliss

CCF23 said:
Okay, so since I can't see to find the forum post that I had seen before, where should I start in terms of what to do with this thing?
This?

MThanded said:
Have there been any android progress updates recently?
Not really, they made public this list of current issues with the android port... which seems to suggest there's still a long way to go.

TheOMan said:
Don't know about putting it back to sleep unfortunately. I agree the video quality isn't the greatest, so Kalemsoft is probably your best bet for now. I'm seriously considering writing my own, perhaps starting with VLC as my codebase?
I actually bought Splashtop, more as a neat toy to mess around with than a solution for media streaming, but it turns out it functions quite acceptably in that regard.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
All these posts about splashtop are really making me want to buy it. However, from what I've seen, it's not really an RDP solution, correct? I mean, you can't run it with a locked screen on your host computer if I understand correctly?

Doopliss

TheOMan said:
All these posts about splashtop are really making me want to buy it. However, from what I've seen, it's not really an RDP solution, correct? I mean, you can't run it with a locked screen on your host computer if I understand correctly?
It just mirrors your primary monitor (and by default changes the resolution on it to 1024x768).

CCF23 said:
What fun things should I download/do with it now that I have it patched/OC'd?

Wait for android? or Download Free Apps like crazy?

Naked Snake said:
About to bite on the official case for $23 on Amazon... any good reason not to?

You could probably get it cheaper at some point.

I remember HP had it for $19.99

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
You could probably get it cheaper at some point.

I remember HP had it for $19.99

I suppose, but I did a Google Product search and looked on ebay, nothing was cheaper than Amazon (with free Prime shipping)... I've been on my most crazy impulse buying kick the past two weeks, I'm intimidated to even try to add up my receipts to calculate the total damages... What's another 23 bucks between a man and his folio case?

/clicks Place Your Order

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Naked Snake said:
About to bite on the official case for $23 on Amazon... any good reason not to?
Its decent. Only issue I have is using the touchstone, it wont charge while in landscape mode. It will charge sitting straight up portrait wise.

Top Bottom