• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

dream

Copernicus said:
It's a fair question.

Splashtop works within your network as well as outside of it, if you provide your gmail credentials.
I knew what Londa meant though.

I knows Londa.

2th

Banned
sfedai0 said:
Splashtop Remote Desktop HD

Promo code: wulax11125hhtaw

This promo code has reached its limit and is no longer valid.

Was just about to put it on my father's for free. Damn.

Mindlog

I did not know that the case and touchstone are in stock at HP (and everywhere else.) I just picked up a case. If I had been able to grab more than one pad I would have bought a touchstone as well. My entire house is covered in USB outlets so I can't justify getting one of those.

Thanks for the splashtop code.

Londa

Banned
When I plug my touchpad into my laptop, it does not show up in "My Computer" under "Devices" section. What do I need to do to get that to work for me?

RukusProvider said:
How the hell did HP ever plan to sell these in current form at $400 plus. Crazy, the shit companies will convince themselves of.
hey look its just like the iPad it has a touchscreen, you can browse the web and it haz appz! And it runs flash so lets charge the same price hur hur hur.

that plus the components cost something like 250 altogether IIRC. They wanted to, yknow, turn a prpfit.

Londa

Banned
freshair said:
is the TP in usb mode?

nvm I figured it out. I was trying to install the preware.

RukusProvider said:
How the hell did HP ever plan to sell these in current form at $400 plus. Crazy, the shit companies will convince themselves of.

From what I heard the hardware in these babies is worth more than 99 dollars. But I'm no tech expert.

Thomper

Is there a way to change the region of my App Catalog? I chose my local (Dutch) catalog when setting up my TouchPad, but there's a shitload of apps unavailable here.

3N16MA

Banned
Thanks for posting the promo codes yesterday. Was able to get the apps before they were gone. However scrolling sucks when using SplashTop, always wants to zoom instead of scroll.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Anyone having trouble charging their touchpad? I saw my battery was low last night so i plugged it and now I come home and the thing is dead.

neojubei said:
Anyone having trouble charging their touchpad? I saw my battery was low last night so i plugged it and now I come home and the thing is dead.

Did you charge it via a computer? If so, that doesn't really seem to work. I hear it may work via USB3.0, but not 2.0/1.1.

Thomper said:
Is there a way to change the region of my App Catalog? I chose my local (Dutch) catalog when setting up my TouchPad, but there's a shitload of apps unavailable here.

I believe there is a patch in preware that unhides the 'First Run App'. You can run that and basically get the wizard that runs when you first start your Touchpad.

Apath

Metalmurphy said:
How the hell do you apply a screen protector? I tried using a pen to roll it out but it still got bubbles everywhere... grrrrr
For my phone I use a credit card. If I applied a screen protector to my touch pad, I'd probably use a book, binder, or some other long flat object. A pen should have done the trick though =P

Eric C

RukusProvider said:

The touchpads internal specs aren't really that bad. It has twice the ram as an ipad.

When android gets running it's going to be a really good android tablet.

polyh3dron said:
hey look its just like the iPad it has a touchscreen, you can browse the web and it haz appz! And it runs flash so lets charge the same price hur hur hur.

that plus the components cost something like 250 altogether IIRC. They wanted to, yknow, turn a prpfit.

actually closer to $300
HP TouchPad Carries $318 Bill of Materials
uEGLQ.jpg

Centurion

Banned
so, after completely losing hope and forgetting about this whole thing... I just got an email from SMB two hours ago and they just shipped my two 16gb's!

*happy dance*

dream

RukusProvider said:

Speaking at a press conference in Cannes, Mr Cador said that “In the PC world, with fewer ways of differentiating HP’s products from our competitors, we became number one; in the tablet world we’re going to become better than number one. We call it number one plus.” Apple’s iPad is currently the best-selling tablet around the world.

Never forget.

iirate

Okay everyone, I'm sure that I'm missing something really obvious, but my Touchpad brand keyboard won't turn off. At least, the power switch on the back doesn't seem to do anything. I've pushed it to either side, and left it sitting in the middle, and my touchpad reacts to it on a button press no matter what. I'm pretty sure that it auto shuts off after a minute or two, but I don't want to accidentally hit buttons while it's in my bag or anything, and waste batteries.

Until I figure out what's wrong, I'll just keep it in its original packaging, which is actually okay with me because the packaging itself is slim and sturdy, but this is really bugging me.

iirate said:
Okay everyone, I'm sure that I'm missing something really obvious, but my Touchpad brand keyboard won't turn off. At least, the power switch on the back doesn't seem to do anything. I've pushed it to either side, and left it sitting in the middle, and my touchpad reacts to it on a button press no matter what. I'm pretty sure that it auto shuts off after a minute or two, but I don't want to accidentally hit buttons while it's in my bag or anything, and waste batteries.

Until I figure out what's wrong, I'll just keep it in its original packaging, which is actually okay with me because the packaging itself is slim and sturdy, but this is really bugging me.

If the switch is to the right side, it should be off. Could be a defective model? Try pairing it with another device and seeing if it still won't turn off.

I got mine last night and was considering selling it because you can't control your TP very much. After playing with it, I think I really like it. Its like a touchscreen netbook. It also matches nice with my PS3 since its all black matte.

hayejin

How do I remove that annoying "Tap here to add search engine" crap? For crying out loud I checked Gears 3 collectibles guide in gears wiki and it prompted me for it.

hayejin said:
How do I remove that annoying "Tap here to add search engine" crap? For crying out loud I checked Gears 3 collectibles guide in gears wiki and it prompted me for it.

When you press it once and it pops up in that little rectangle, you drag the rectangle that says "Add search engine" to the left or right and it should just ignore it.

If you added some search engines on already, you can clear it by clearing the cache and history in the browser.

hayejin

wiid said:
Fucking UPS delayed my shipment from today to Monday :(
Yup Same thing happened to me. I hate UPS. They could seriously just let me pick from their distribution center since they decided not to deliver it but nooooooooo in order to do that the driver has to make first attempt and miss the delivery.

HowardRoark said:
What are some good apps for this? I mostly only use it as a web browsing device.

Ha, ha, ha. Wrong tablet if you want good apps.

Hmm...

Comicshelf HD
Glimpse
Angry Birds
Advanced Browser (it just got the thumb nav)
Asphalt 6 HD
Machinarium

SNES emu
Nes em
N64 emu
ScummVM

hayejin

Spiderjericho said:
Ha, ha, ha. Wrong tablet if you want good apps.

Hmm...

Comicshelf HD
Glimpse
Angry Birds
Advanced Browser (it just got the thumb nav)
Asphalt 6 HD
Machinarium

SNES emu
Nes em
N64 emu
ScummVM
how do you get scummvm or n64 emu onto touchpad?

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Touchpad best purchase I made in the past few years. It has so much value especially with the new splashtop app but it can be tedious scrolling. I don't even care about Android port at this point. Playing my visual novels in bed=best thing ever. Also watching HD JTV/own3d streams on the elliptical is a bonus

adxXf.png

Screencap of the touchpad

SteveO409 said:
Touchpad best purchase I made in the past few years. It has so much value especially with the new splashtop app but it can be tedious scrolling. I don't even care about Android port at this point. Playing my visual novels in bed=best thing ever. Also watching HD JTV/own3d streams on the elliptical is a bonus

adxXf.png

Splashtop?

SteveO409 said:

[]http://i.imgur.com/adxXf.png[/

People still use mIRC? lol

Tapiozona

Banned
Splashtop is a great app but it's far from perfect. I got it mainly for netflix and hulu but it's not super smooth. If my laptop is on wireless the audio is off sync and the video is very jumpy. if I plug the laptop directly into the router the audio is fine but the video is still somewhat jumpy. It's not terrible but when you watch it in comparsion to directly on the laptop it's pretty noticable.

My laptop is fairly new, and the cpu runs at about 50% when splashtop is streaming so I don't think its the cpu. Does anyone have perfect smooth streaming with netflix? Holding the touchpad side by side with your computer monitor, is it the same quality?

jgkspsx

So... is there any solution to the speaker-area cracks? A bit of superglue to keep the cracks from getting worse? Or just abandon all hope?

How do you go back to the menu on SCUMMVM? Instruction say "Back Gesture", isn't that swiping from right to left? Can't get it to work.

Top Bottom