• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

soco

Technosteve said:
how I use codes? Also webOS is such a slow unresponsive OS WITH THE WORST WEB BROWSER

but it has the worlds best feature of making text unreadable because off some off-by-x (probably 1) bug when scaling!!!

sk3

Banned
Is it possible to remote wipe the touchpad? Like the next time it connects to the internet or something? Mine was stolen.

Chorazin

Got my TouchPad yesterday and applied all the patches today. I like it a lot, seems like a middle ground between iOS and Android.

Definitely worth the $100!

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I want to make a game for the touchpad. anyone know where to start?

i was thinking about making it in flash but is there anyway to run swf files outside of a browser on the touchpad?

sfedai0

Banned
Just my fucking luck, Im of the unlucky ones to develop cracks along the speakers. Already called HP and will be sending in my unit. I was clicks away from deciding to bail on this and get the Sony tablet, but I do genuinely like the OS, despite it quirks and intricacies. Also, with specs equaling tablets 3-4 times its price, I couldnt give up on it yet.

eastmen

Banned
sfedai0 said:
Just my fucking luck, Im of the unlucky ones to develop cracks along the speakers. Already called HP and will be sending in my unit. I was clicks away from deciding to bail on this and get the Sony tablet, but I do genuinely like the OS, despite it quirks and intricacies. Also, with specs equaling tablets 3-4 times its price, I couldnt give up on it yet.

I just glued mine and put some electric tape on it. From what i've heard if you use the dock you will get the cracks even with the replacement.

sfedai0

Banned
eastmen said:
I just glued mine and put some electric tape on it. From what i've heard if you use the dock you will get the cracks even with the replacement.

Yea, I think it was the dock that did me in, with the scant amount of plastic on the borders of the unit that had to support the whole tablet hours on end just sitting there, it was only a mater of time. Not only that, the screen now has a bit of give to it and if I run my fingers along the borders of the screen, I can feel unevenness. No wonder HP conducted a fire sale.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Phantast2k said:
If you want it to be financially successful then, for obvious reasons, you shouldn't develop it for webOS.
Here's how you do flash2webos: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad-apps/290298-machinarium-webos.html
Godspeed.
financial success would be nice but ill do it for the kicks.

thanks for the link!

btw, what kind of game would people here like for a touchpad?

are there any unique features id be able to use game wise? i might not even do it in flash

eastmen

Banned
-COOLIO- said:

thanks for the link!

are there any unique features id be able to use game wise? i might not even do it in flash

I wouldn't mind a good tower defence game.

They also seem really popular so if you make a good one you could prob sell it for $1 buck or so on the offical store.

-COOLIO- said:

thanks for the link!

any game would be nice. Flying, paper throwing, adventure , bowling, tennis sports in genral, mini game collection. Actually I would like game with collection of mini games.

Birbo

Is there any way to sync a Dual Shock to the Touchpad via bluetooth? Would be great to use with the SNES Emulator & possibly OnLive.

32Gb TouchPad, bought from CDW for $150 (original retail price of $600, eBay price ~ $300)

+

Installed PDFs of nearly every Mad Magazine issue from Absolutely Mad DVD, bought from Amazon a few months ago for $18.60 (currently out of print, going for $180-$300)

=

AWESOMENESS

Edit: figured out answer to my question, durr...

sk3 said:
Is it possible to remote wipe the touchpad? Like the next time it connects to the internet or something? Mine was stolen.
:( Sorry about that... Somebody tried to grab mine from my hands about a week ago. Still mad about it.

Sometimes, I feel like I was never meant to have a TouchPad. It was so hard to find in stores, I dropped it a couple times, I left it in the bathtub once, I almost had it stolen...

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
i think i came up with a reallllyyy fun idea for touch rpg battle system. im going to start going hard on this thing starting tonight, wish me luck

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Why would you do that? said:
:( Sorry about that... Somebody tried to grab mine from my hands about a week ago. Still mad about it.

Sometimes, I feel like I was never meant to have a TouchPad. It was so hard to find in stores, I dropped it a couple times, I left it in the bathtub once, I almost had it stolen...

Lol what the hell?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
crazy monkey said:
any game would be nice. Flying, paper throwing, adventure , bowling, tennis sports in genral, mini game collection. Actually I would like game with collection of mini games.
im going to tell the greatest saga ever

sk3 said:

Sorry to hear. Someone broke into my house and robbed me this week, so I know the feeling.

My screen managed to spontaneously get a crack on it from one side to the other, this is apparently not covered by the "limited warranty". Excellent.

The touch screen still works and everything, it's just annoying having this crack distorting part of screen.

0OoO0

So I got a really detailed map of Paris in jpeg (it's 82 MB just for this one pic). I have put this image on the TP and when I tried to zoom in, it only lets me zoom in to a certain point. The problem is I want to zoom into the picture even more, to really close but it won't allow me to. Is there anyway I could work around this problem?

Apath

-COOLIO- said:
i think i came up with a reallllyyy fun idea for touch rpg battle system. im going to start going hard on this thing starting tonight, wish me luck
Just recreate Miner Dig Deep for the touchpad. I'd pay $5 for that.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Why would you do that? said:
Just consider yourself lucky that they realized it wasn't an iPad at the last second and decided against it.

jgkspsx

0OoO0 said:
So I got a really detailed map of Paris in jpeg (it's 82 MB just for this one pic). I have put this image on the TP and when I tried to zoom in, it only lets me zoom in to a certain point. The problem is I want to zoom into the picture even more, to really close but it won't allow me to. Is there anyway I could work around this problem?
Probably the worst thing about webOS 3 - the image viewer was never fully updated to work with the high res screen. I hope they fix it someday.

Try printing it to PDF.

sk3

Banned
I'm wondering how my ins company is going to handle the touchpad. I only paid $150, but they technically aren't available anymore so the "replacement cost" would be a 32gb 10" tablet with similar specs.... which is an ipad.

They took my beloved Z-5500 speakers too.. I paid $200 for them and they now sell for $1000 on amazon.

freshair

Anth0ny said:
How the hell do I play videos on this thing? Is there a folder I need to drop them in?

/n00b

i believe the default touchpad video player only supports mp4.

otherwise if you use kalemsoft (2 wek trial on website) you can play virtually any format and there's a file browser

Eric C

Anth0ny said:
How the hell do I play videos on this thing? Is there a folder I need to drop them in?

/n00b

You can play .mp4 video files through the picture/photo app.

For other files you don't have many options. As was already mentioned above, you have Kalemsoft in the app catalog. It supports most file types.

If you have preware installed you can download "Touchplayer" for free, but the lack of a pause function forced me to buy Kalemsoft.

MIMIC

Banned
Anth0ny said:

/n00b

AFAIK, you just drag and drop to the drive, not necessarily a specific folder. And like others have mentioned, mp4 is the default file type it plays.

Anyone have any problems of HUGE slowdown? Almost to the point of freezing? I end up having to restart the tablet completely because it doesn't respond. This happened to me twice this week already. And I don't think it was a overload issue as I only had a single browser open..

Top Bottom