• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

DJ_Tet

Banned
Just spent 20 min playing around with Splashtop and it's really impressive. I was streaming a full skype window, it looked great. Then I switched over to some netflix which was awesome (pretty much worth it right there.) After that I installed Machinarium on Steam and messed around with that, I'll have to find some more ios-type games for steam if anyone can recommend some.

Then I played some FLVs off my pc. The desktop resolution does switch while it's streaming but mine switched back once the stream stopped. Has anyone tried this over the internet, I guess it's just as good as your connection allows. Looking forward to messing around with it on my next trip though. If you missed the free code don't worry it's well worth $5.

1-D_FTW

Spent a lot more time with mine the last couple days. Very slick. Still looking forward to Android, but even if it never came, I'd have no buyer's remorse.

jgkspsx said:
So... is there any solution to the speaker-area cracks? A bit of superglue to keep the cracks from getting worse? Or just abandon all hope?

I don't see why it wouldn't. Should stop it from spreading any further if you can lightly Spackle it into the cracks.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I don't understand these "free" app promotions HP has been doing. Why not just flip a switch make the app free for 2 days then flip it back instead of having enter in their CC info and then a code that gets used up pretty fast to get a free app.

Argyle

neojubei said:
I don't understand these "free" app promotions HP has been doing. Why not just flip a switch make the app free for 2 days then flip it back instead of having enter in their CC info and then a code that gets used up pretty fast to get a free app.
I would imagine that HP has to pay the developers of the apps, making it a limited use code allows them to set a budget for this...

Would it be immoral for me to pirate WebOS apps when I have actively tried every possible way to actually PAY for them but got rejected?

1. I want apps
2. HP won't take my money
3. I can torrent apps
4. ?????
5. PROFIT?

I can't even get the "free for a limited time" apps due to this. SMH @ HP

jgkspsx

crazy monkey said:
I might buy splashtop today. Does it used lot of internet bandwidth?
It does everything on your local wireless network if the machines are both on. I haven't used it over the internet yet, to be honest.

SRG01

Splashtop is based off of the VNC protocol, which will suck up a lot of bandwidth. Unfortunately, webOS doesn't have a RDP client just yet, so we'll have to live with what we have.

Fortunately, VNC does have its advantages, such as cloning the display of the "server" instead of locking its screen.

The USB cable for my mom's touchpad isn't working, ugh

And the HP Canada website keeps bouncing me around with no actual help lol.........anyone have the link to their warranty services?

On the bright side, my Blackberry USB cable is the right size, and I think I have a spare somewhere

plc268

Damn, I just checked, and I got that crack by the speaker too. Lame.

Thankfully since the TP was only $100, I honestly don't care that much.

SRG01

BigJonsson said:
The USB cable for my mom's touchpad isn't working, ugh

And the HP Canada website keeps bouncing me around with no actual help lol.........anyone have the link to their warranty services?

On the bright side, my Blackberry USB cable is the right size, and I think I have a spare somewhere

You can use any micro USB cable. Not mini USB.

Naked Snake said:
Would it be immoral for me to pirate WebOS apps when I have actively tried every possible way to actually PAY for them but got rejected?

1. I want apps
2. HP won't take my money
3. I can torrent apps
4. ?????
5. PROFIT?

I can't even get the "free for a limited time" apps due to this. SMH @ HP

WTF you can not get in to app store and buy why how? Also I bought splashtop as I saw too many people here having fun. It is amazing lol. My movie playing still suffers but everything else is working fine. Now I have to find actual use for it as everything I can do with it i should probably do it on laptop since it is always so close and faster :(

I'm having some stuttering issues with splashtop. I don't know if it's my aging computer (dual-core e6750 OC'd to 3.3 Ghz) or my aging DD-WRT 802.11g network.

But I'm reading my
visual novels
and while certainly playable, the lag and stutter is quite a pain. I'm guessing it's my slow network and splashtop works best in N speeds. What say you GAF?

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
br0ken_shad0w said:
I'm having some stuttering issues with splashtop. I don't know if it's my aging computer (dual-core e6750 OC'd to 3.3 Ghz) or my aging DD-WRT 802.11g network.

But I'm reading my
visual novels
and while certainly playable, the lag and stutter is quite a pain. I'm guessing it's my slow network and splashtop works best in N speeds. What say you GAF?

Sorry I don't know why it's lagging for you :( I haven't notice any lag at all on my end and I use a linksys wrt54g router.

The developer of Comicshelf HD sent in the new update for verification so it should be hitting sometime this week. Here are the patch notes

- Redesigned file chooser with a new thumbnail view
- Added a Settings popup with fullscreen and auto-resume options
- Tapping left/right 20% of the screen will change page back/forward
- Improved comic page extraction(no longer have to rename rar/zip files to cbr/cbz)
- Improved page order sorting
- Fixed bug preventing comics from being detected
- Many various small bugfixes

So happy that I can finally transfer my mangas easily without the hassle of renaming the rar/zip extension

deduce

br0ken_shad0w said:

But I'm reading my
visual novels
I've got an e6700 running stock speeds and don't have any problems with Splashtop. I also have an Asus RT-N16 so you're probably right about your network being the problem.

jgkspsx said:
Because he doesn't live in the US, and the Palm/HP App Catalog has always blocked farrrriners.

damn than do what you gotta do I suppose. stupid for hp to behave like. Good thing is there is not many apps at all. Angary birds, one racing game and spalsh top. Also advance browser for tab browsing that is it.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Android port going welll, that's good. I hope someone does a MIUI port once CM7 is stable. I can't stock Android on a tablet. Terrible.

Eric C

Splashtop scrolling sucks!

The "Grab and Drag" addon makes using firefox MUCH better though. It adds an adobe like hand to firefox.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
i keep getting an "ip could not be configued" error when im trying to connect to public wifi, anyone else been getting the same problem?

deduce

Chomper, a programmer from China who has created apps for webOS in the past like JVM and mPlayer, released an Alpha version of his version of Android on webOS. It lets you boot into Android from webOS using an app. It's a very early build and not as far along as what the CM team has been putting together but it's available to test out.

Video: Chomper's Chroid - Android running on Touchpad as an app.

Link to IPK file.

EDIT: A warning if you plan to try this out. This is an early Alpha version, there will be issues. (like UberKernal being disabled)

sfedai0

Banned
So is it a fact that movies can not be bigger than 2 gigs? I know I can use kalemsoft to circumvent that, but is there a reason why the MP4s cant be lager than that?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Finally got my Touchpad today, lol. Not sure if I want to keep it though and get a Kindle Fire. Does this have better specs than a Fire?

And is Hulu playable on Touchpad currently?

equap

Banned
Wario64 said:
Finally got my Touchpad today, lol. Not sure if I want to keep it though and get a Kindle Fire. Does this have better specs than a Fire?

it's pretty choppy even after oc'd to 1.5ghz.

tino

Banned
Wario64 said:

I am selling my 32GB on ebay and keeping my 16GB. I also lose patient to the TouchPad. The Android port is taking forever.

If I don't see a usable port by the end of the year I will sell my 16GB too.

Eric C

Wario64 said:

I don't think we know exactly what the internal specs of the Kindle Fire are yet. But I'm assuming that yes the touchpads specs will be better.

The touchpad did cost HP over $300 to build http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/Pages/HP-TouchPad-Carries-$318-Bill-of-Materials.aspx
Some people have said based on those internal the touchpad will be one of THE BEST android tablets you can buy.

Is Hulu playable? Yeah, but... see my previous post
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31447511&postcount=2851

equap said:
it's pretty choppy even after oc'd to 1.5ghz.

Hmm... Hulu has always played fine for me even at 1.2ghz

Eric C

Lord-Audie said:
any chance that this may get honeycomb or windows 8?

I don't think it's ever going to get honeycomb, for now just gingerbread. Google never released the source for honeycomb to the public.

The people working on the android port said they'll also port Ice Cream Sandwich when it's released. Google said they'll be making that public.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Get your free apps.

Glow Hockey HD
Score. Glow Hockey delivers a new style of hockey game. Easy to play, hard to master. Challenge yourself!
Promo code: lhdji40626sdnrm

Lithium News HD
Track. Keep an eye on the latest news on Twitter and RSS feeds, by placing a tiny window above the others in webOS.
Promo code: qangy29042thenl

Above & Beyond: John Kascht
Explore. "Above & Beyond" presentd the story of John Kascht told through his own words, caricatures, pencil sketches and other multimedia features.
Promo code: trowl12396ozwtl

Shopping Manager
Shop. Inspired by the HandyShopper concept, this App truly simplifies and enhances your shopping experience.
Promo code: njoma77762jhdkr

3N16MA

Banned
Technosteve said:
how I use codes? Also webOS is such a slow unresponsive OS WITH THE WORST WEB BROWSER

1. Make sure you have CC setup in the store.

2. Touch purchase and webOS will ask you if you would like to make the purchase or use a promo code.

3. Enter code and you're done.

Top Bottom